Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 3,870 Words
  • 5,575 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcutter - 10. Chapter 10

There are some strong words in the chapter, ones I don't normally use, so please be careful while reading.

Gabe was cleared by the doctor for duty three days after his suspension and he was glad to get up and about. He got up early, having to nudge Ryle awake so he could roll off of him. “I have to work, Ryle.”

“K,” was all he said and rolled off, only to roll back into the spot Gabe just vacated because it was warm.

After Gabe's shower, he found his work clothes had been laid out for him. With a smile, Gabe put out a note for Ryle. It read:

 

Ryle,

Meg will be taking you to the mess today. I'll see what we have for Cana fodder. Keep your back straight but eyes down, and you should have no problems. Watch out for Darth. I'll be right there should any problems happen that Meg can't handle.

 

Gabe

 

Ryle found it only a few moments before Meg came to the door. He opened it, his feathery hair a mess, and dressed in just his sleeping pants. He grunted unintelligibly, and then laughed when she grinned. “Come in. I'll only be a moment.”

“Take a birdbath, and get dressed for work. You also start with me today.” She admired the sleek lines that Ryle had developed under Gabe's care. His ribs no longer showed. A small amount of muscle was growing on his frame, and that would only increase with work, light though it would be.

Ryle came out of the wash room five minutes later and fully dressed. “Thanks for waiting. When at work, how do I address you?” Ryle seemed to realize that with more eyes on him, more rules would be in effect.

“Ma'am is fine, the occasional Meg. I only ask for respect, but you have given me that since you got here.” They left the room, Ryle locking the door behind them with the number pad as Cana do not have palms that could be read. He was under no illusion that someone wouldn't try to get in.

When Ryle fell in behind her, she gestured him up to her side. “You are not my slave, and I do not consider you my inferior.”

His reaction was almost tentative. He moved forward slowly and walked beside her. With a smile, she put her arm across his narrow shoulders. Ryle was so surprised, he stopped moving. He wondered at his reaction or lack thereof. A small smile came to his face, and he started walking again, nudging back under her arm which made her laugh.

“You have come a long way. I'm glad.”

“Whacha got there, Meg?” a rough voice said from the left. Ryle moved to Meg's other side.

“This is Ryle. He's going to be helping me in supply.” The man was your typical roughneck. Big, brawny, and looked like his IQ was lower than room temperature.

“That's the boy's friend?” He looked across Meg and nodded. “Yup. He's too pretty to be left alone. You keep your eye on 'im, Meg. Too many assholes would tap that if they caught 'im alone.” He walked past them and marched to chow.

“That was the Captain of the Marines we have on board. Half brute, half gentleman. No one to cross, but he's one of the more honorable men on the ship.” She felt Ryle start to relax. “You really do have a problem with men, don't you?” He nodded. “But not Gabey.”

“Gabriel has proven he won't hurt me. I do not offer that trust freely. Especially to men.”

Meg took the implied compliment. She obviously had his trust. “Well, with Captain Jer, you would have someone who would protect you from someone if he thought it was an unfair fight.” That was good to know. “Not saying you should trust him fully, he's the kind to like small ones like you for bedmates, but he won't make you do anything you don't want to.”

“How many people are on this ship?”

“There are four hundred-fifty people, give or take.” The number was a bit daunting. Each one was another person he had to watch out for. “That is why the Captain wants you with me or Gabe until people get the hint not to mess with you.”

“The Captain said that?” he asked as they neared the mess hall.

“Yes, I did,” came the Captain's reply from behind. Ryle startled, but the Captain had proven his willingness to leave him alone as long as he kept in line. “I am glad to see you out of the rooms. Meg will be a good supervisor for you. She's tough, but she'll have your back.” He leaned in and kissed her, caressing her cheek. “How are you, my dear?”

“You are too smooth for your own good.” She grinned, especially when the Captain moved ahead in the line to keep Ryle between them.

Ryle's reaction to the Captain was not one he expected. The way he looked at her, that twinkle in his eyes that said his emotional world revolved around her, the tone in his voice that was as sensual as any caress...Ryle wished Gabriel would do this. It was a primal thing that hit him in a spot he never knew he possessed. To be wooed, courted, Ryle had never seen something so loving.

Ryle became hyper aware of those who were staring at them. At him. It was so uncomfortable. It was palpable, their looks so intent and some of them lewd. It made the Cana's skin crawl, and he pulled in close to Meg. Her arm covered his head, and when a sound of distress came from Ryle, the Captain looked down. Had he erred in letting the Cana into the mess hall?

Well, he has to know how it is going to be. The Captain looked up at those who were leering. When the force of his gaze fell upon them, they looked up. They would turn away. “Ryle, I normally do not take sides among my crew. They are all men who can take care of themselves. I do not wish to insult you, as you have proven, in your own way, to be a being of integrity. You are smaller and appear vulnerable to them.” Ryle nodded. “I would offer you haven at my side should Gabe and Meg be unavailable. It is not an offer I make lightly. You would be on the bridge and would be in the way.”

The Cana nodded. It was a very frightening prospect. He knew he would be safe, but he would be in the way. Not a good place to be when the Captain was reputed to kill because of annoyance. “If I have no other choice, Captain.”

Something flashed in the Captain's eyes. Pity? Remorse? It was gone as soon as it was seen. “Good, good. So, would both of you join me for the meal?”

Meg nodded. “I think that would be good. Then the two of you can get to know each other better.”

Oh joy! Thought Ryle.

* * *

With Gabe's return to work, his stress level went up. His work load was the same, but his body was not fully recovered, and he became tired sooner than he had before. The respect he gained from the fight was balanced out by the lack of drive and attention during his lessons. He was also very worried about Ryle. How he was coping during the day with Meg. He had seen how the crew acted and reacted when Ryle was in the line. There was nothing he could do from the scullery section unless he had to, but he was shocked to see the Captain had taken an active interest in Ryle.

“Hey! Pay attention!” called the senior officer in the hangar.

“Sorry, sir,” was all he said and put his mind back on the task at hand. How is he doing?

* * *

“And that is how it's done.” Meg held up a finished sleeve for a uniform she had just finished on the machines in the shop.

“That's it?” Ryle asked. “That's easy. I thought you worked magic back here.”

She laughed and watched him quickly and efficiently make sleeves. “This is basic stuff, and you're pretty quick at it. When you can do an entire uniform by yourself, then I will teach you harder things.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

“Now, can you scurry up the ladder and grab some bobbin thread? Black, of course.”

He nodded and leaped up to the walk way above. It was ten feet. He climbed the racks to find the bobbin thread, which was just out of reach, and then shimmied down the ladder. “Here you go.”

“That was quite a jump.”

“I could do more if I had to.” She grinned and ruffled his feathers.

Meg showed him more things around the place that was her domain, and she found out one big thing. Ryle had a perfect memory. She only had to show him once, and he would remember it. Tell him where something was, and he would come back with the exact thing she asked for. “Ryle, is a good memory something your species has, or are you just this amazing?”

“It's just me,” he responded and she laughed at the big grin he had on his face. “No, it's something Cana have. Visual and audible memory is necessary when migrating. Have I really been doing that well?”

“Well? You have exceeded my expectations, believe me. If I could have two more Cana in here, I wouldn't have to lift a finger.” He grinned. Then he stopped smiling and jumped up into the upper reaches. “Ryle, what...”

“Meg! You in here?”

“Ah. You stay up there, Ryle, I'll deal with him.” Meg went out to the front. Darth was standing there with a ripped uniform top. “What did you do to this one?” She took it from him, feeling the greasy stains she hadn't seen.

“I didn't do nothing. Don't give me your lip.” He was in a foul mood. Ever since that boy had won his right to privacy, he had been the laughing stock of the ship. A mere boy had beat him.

“Get out and let me work. You can pick up a new shirt later today.” Meg turned her back to him and tossed the shirt into the TO BE DONE bin.

“I can't go back to the bridge like this!” he shouted. She ignored him as she always did. “I'm talking to you, bitch.”

“I'm sorry, I don't speak asshole. Could you use a common language?”

He lunged at her, grabbing her by the hair before she could do anything like pull the pistol from her hip, and pulled her onto the counter. “Listen here, you raging cunt, I am going to get a new shirt, no-OOOOOW!”

She was shocked he had actually touched her at all, let alone attacked her, but why was he screaming? Then she heard a high pitch cry and saw a flash of claws rake across his face. Darth let her go to try and pry Ryle from his back, but he only grabbed air. He spun to look all around, his left eye closed and a flap of skin hanging over it.

“You leave her alone or you will not leave here alive!” Ryle's voice came from the walk above.

“I will have you strung up and whipped for this!” It seemed a bit tame of a response, but he could not get over the audacity of the Cana for attacking him. “You...”

“...are going to leave, Darth, before I put a round between your eyes.” Meg had her gun pointed at his head.

He took a step back, holding up his left hand while his right was out of her sight. “I get it. Yeah, I'm leaving.” His unseen hand was pulling out his knife. With his attention on the gun, which was his biggest threat in his eyes, he bumped into the door jam and used that stumble to get the knife out to throw. Then he screamed again as Ryle landed on his almost extended arm, using all four sets of claws to devastating result. Darth could not even think of what to do. The Cana was too fast and his claws were like razors, slicing through skin and muscle easily.

“Ryle, that's enough.” Meg watched as he put his feet to the man's chest, launched into the air with a flip, and landed with his own body shielding her from an attack.

“If you ever touch her again, I will kill you!” Ryle's voice rang out, bringing the guards from the corridor.

“Get that damn creature! He attacked me!” With so much evidence, they moved towards Ryle.

“Stay where you are. Ryle protected me from Darth. If you take him, and harm him in any way, Not only will you be facing Gabe, you'll face me, and I will kill any of you who hurt him.”

The guards stopped and looked between the injured parties. “Darth, get out of here and see the doctor immediately. Ryle, I'm going to ask you to come with us until we can sort this out.”

“He won't go with human males at all,” said Meg. “Find the ladies. Have them escort him, if you must, or you can take his statement and mine right here.”

The officer in charge appointed two men to escort Darth to the med-bay while the other two stayed here. “Very well. Ryle, you can climb off the counter.” The Cana didn't do so until Darth was led from the area, the soldiers already applying first aid. “Now, Ryle, what happened?” He tried to keep his tone calm and even. He knew Gabe would hear about this, and truth be told, he didn't want to cross the Captain's son.

“I was working when Darth came into the shop. I was told to stay in the back and out of sight. I heard him threaten Meg and then saw him grab her by the hair and drag her onto the counter. I attacked. I have orders from Gabriel to protect myself from Darth, and when I saw he had...hurt her...I feared for my safety.” Ryle was shaking under the scrutiny of the officer and from the adrenaline still coursing through his veins.

“You have orders from Gabe?” Ryle nodded. “I see. Meg, is that what happened?”

“Yes. I was shocked when he grabbed me. He was in a foul mood when he came in, worse than most. After Ryle attacked, he went back up to the walk above me and I brought my pistol out. I ordered Darth out of here. He was backing away...and Ryle attacked again.” She looked at him. “Why?”

Ryle pointed under the seat next to the door. One of the guards looked and came up holding Darth's knife. “He was pulling that out to throw.”

Meg's eyes went wide. She knew, with the way Darth had stumbled, he could have thrown that and she would have been hurt. Darth was a good shot with a knife.

“That explains why his arm was torn up. Ryle, I may come by your quarters with more questions, and the Captain may want to ask his own, but for now, put this behind you. Darth is gone, and you can go back to work.” Ryle nodded, seeing that this one was just doing his job. “I will put a note in the log about a detainment crew being female for him, just in case. No sense in anyone else getting shredded.”

When they had gone, Meg turned fully to Ryle. “You saved me.”

“He was hurting you.” He was cut off when she scooped him up in a hug. At first he stiffened, but when he could tell this was not an attack, he relaxed and hugged her back. “Can I ask a favor?”

“Anything.”

“Can you help me wash my claws?” She could hear the pleading.

“Let's get that stuff off you. I'm going to make you a new outfit to replace that one.” He turned a bit red. He had done the right thing, at least in her eyes. The Captain may not think so, and that thought was daunting...but what would Gabe think?

* * *

Gabe rushed home after he last duties were done. Rumor around the ship was that Darth was ravaged by Ryle, and that he lay critically injured, because Darth attacked him and Meg in the shop. He didn't even stop to help the person he bumped into to pick up their items, although he did say he was sorry. He found the room locked and dark, Ryle not to be found. He checked all the usual hiding places in the rooms but he was not there.

The lad ran to the supply shop to find it closed up. It was never closed. His heart pounded in fear, his lungs laboring to bring oxygen to his panicked brain. This did not bode well. There was only one last place Ryle could be if the rumors were true.

Gabe ran on and came to the elevator to the bridge where he was stopped by the guards. “Whoa! Slow down, man.”

“Is Ryle in there? Are the rumors true?”

They shared a glance. “The rumors are true, but he's down in the shuttle bay with the Captain.”

No! He...he wouldn't! Gabe turned around and ran again, knowing he had to get there to stop Ryle from being put off the ship for attacking Darth. Gabe knew Darth probably started it, but that didn't protect Ryle.

Gabe got there to see Ryle's claw was being held by Meg's hand. The air in the bay was tense, but it wasn't tense around Ryle. No, the tension was around the Captain and Darth...Darth who was in cuffs.

The Captain's voice could be heard over the sound of the transport ship's idling engines. “...Off this ship. Your actions endangered the lives of two of this crew. One of them being my supply officer, and the other being the companion of my apprentice. You were warned previously about what would happen should you bother Ryle or my son. You are sentenced to hang until dead.”

Gabe walked up, and when Ryle saw him, he broke away from Meg and jumped into his arms. Gabe held him close, not caring at all what anyone said about it. His love was safe. He was fine. If punishment was involved, it would have been decided already.

“Gabriel, could you allow Ryle a moment? I understand your concern,” said the Captain, “but I need him to answer a question.” Gabe set him down, but he did not let go. The Captain saw a fearful but determined look in his eyes. One he knew quite well. One that shocked, but did not surprise, the Captain. “Ryle, as the target of his ire in the past, your aggression towards him is understandable. Your protection of my officer showed a strong sense of honor and will be commended with this question. What should be his fate? Death or mercy?”

Ryle lowered his eye. “With all due respect, Captain, my word should not decide another person's fate. Yet, as you have asked for it...” Ryle raised his eyes and glared at Darth. “Get him off this ship and dump him on an asteroid for all I care. Death is too easy for him. Let him rot knowing that a small bird left his arm and eye completely useless.”

The Captain felt a sense of profound respect for the tiny being. “Meg agrees that he should be put off this ship. Very well. I will take their pleas into account.” The Captain turned back toward Darth, who was silent during all this. Gabe could see his arm was heavily bandaged, and his face was as well. “I am a man of my word in all things,” he began, “but I often find myself the target of the problem. This time, I, as Captain, must go back on my word for the sake of my ship and crew. Darth of planet Earth, you are to be put off this ship and set down on Rueb III, the nearest inhabited planet. What your fate is while there is no longer the concern of the Starcutter and her crew. You shall never again set foot on this ship, or your death will be very lingering.” The Captain took a step back...and hit Darth as hard as he could. Darth was knocked back a dozen steps, his jaw shattering, but he kept his footing. The entire crew was shocked. This was out of character. First the Captain asking a slave his opinion. Second, the Captain goes back on his word, which was shocking, but they understood the reasoning this time. Third, and most startling, he showed an emotional reaction. “That was for attacking my girlfriend, you piece of shit. Get him off my ship.”

As the guards dragged Darth to the transport, Meg rushed into the Captain's arms. She stayed there, just being held. Ryle was back in Gabe's arms as well, and father and son shared a look. It spoke volumes about what had happened.

“Captain, may I ask if Ryle will be punished?” Gabe asked as they evacuated the bay so the ship could depart.

“Gabe, I know you are tired and still healing, so I will overlook the obvious lack of thought.” Gabe's face must have been comical because the Captain laughed. “I cannot give him a commendation for valor. He is still a slave. I listened to his wishes, as a being of equal standing.”

Gabe got it. “You gave him, openly in front of that small amount of crew, the same respect you would give another Captain.” He got a nod. “You ignored his legal status and...wow. Father, thank you.”

The Captain only nodded, inwardly pleased that his son called him father. “You take your friend home and see he gets a good meal. He missed chow because of this.” The Captain and Meg went one way and they went the other.

They had walked back to the rooms in silence, Gabe carrying Ryle and not caring who saw it. His whole world had been rocked today; the thought of losing Ryle scared him. His father's actions were unprecedented. No one of his rank ever gave a slave that much respect. In the rooms, Gabe set Ryle down and grabbed the last of his seedcakes and the vintle grubs. He set them out, and Ryle just laid into it, forgetting any sort of manners or etiquette. Gabe took a shower, washing away the tensions of the day and the stresses of this past hour.

When he was done, he once again found his dirty clothing was gone, and his sleeping pants laid out for lounging. Ryle was fast asleep in bed, and all of the food was gone. Gabe just smiled at him. “You are so amazing,” he whispered. “I...I love you.”

He couldn't see it, but Ryle's lips turned up just a bit.

Thanks again to craftingmom for her wonderful editing and encouragement.
Copyright © 2016 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 55
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Outstanding story... I've just found this today, and imagine my surprise when I finished Chapter 9, and rated it 5 stars and decided to follow the story, that Chapter 10 had been posted!

 

I think Darth will probably come back to haunt the Captain's leniency, and possibly become a problem for Gabe as well. I think Ryle will have to finish what he started, but will come out of the situation with more self esteem and better able to handle Gabe's love...

 

Keep up the great work...

Link to comment

Ryle appears to be making a place for himself on the ship and in these people's lives. Inadvertently, he has bought Gabe and his father a little closed in their understanding of one another. The Captain's gratitude for saving his girlfriend made stand Ryle in good stead in the future. This was a really great chapter as Ryle gets integrated into the ship and further into Gabe's heart...Thanks and cheers...Gary

Link to comment

I am becoming a bigger fan of the captain as this story unfolds. He is a tough SOB but he is fair and does seem to have the capacity to feel deeply. Ryle is a tough little guy. Good for him for sticking up for Meg. He just didn't seem the type to cower and be kept down for very long. Keep the chapters coming!

Link to comment

3 Yay's for Ryle!! Whoo Hoo!!! The defender of Meg won major cool points with the Captain. But I wish the Captain had stuck to his original plan because Darth is going to come back and cause lots of problems. right??? This was a pivotal chapter. The entire crew will look at Ryle in a different manner. He saved the Captains girlfriend and then was treated as an equal instead of a slave. Major kudos on this chapter.

Link to comment

I snuck in two more chapters at bedtime last night. And now to be up and get in a chapter before breakfast! Hooray! Great chapter! I'll say it again, "I love these characters!" You have done a great job fleshing them out into real people with realistic dialogue! Someone else commented about Gabe influencing the Captain to be a better person. I think Captain and Ryle have both been influenced, in a positive way, by Gabe. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..