Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 3,939 Words
  • 4,260 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcutter - 22. Chapter 22

It was two weeks until they reach OSA, where Gabe knew he would be giving Kyla and Ryle the best surprise they could ever want. The Captain had said, had given his word, that they would be there to see Ryle's nest mate wed the man she loved. He had also let slip that something very momentous was going to happen.

“What is it, Father?”

“It is nothing to get excited about. The wedding of Sten and Kyla is more important than all else.”

“You know, I have come to learn when you are lying.” Gabe shook his finger at the Captain who looked mildly affronted.

Then the Captain shook his head. “You have your mother's knack for that. Very well. Unbeknownst to Meg, it is a joint ceremony. Which is why I have been making you do so many odd jobs. Sending messages, making payments. Station Master Deacon has given his permission, and it is when you will see your Father wed the woman he loves. Finally.”

Gabe's grin was huge. Far too big for any one person. He leaped into his father's arms with a huge hug. There was no reticence, no fear. “Father...Mom would be thrilled to know someone will finally bring you to task.” The Captain laughed long about that one.

“Of that, Son, I have no doubt. Since Kyla has very few members of her family to attend, we shall be her family. You, me, Meg, Ryle and a few others since it's a joint wedding. The admiral.” Gabe winced at the thought of his future step-grandfather being there. The prospect of it could be very volatile.

“Ryle is going to be thrilled.”

“I am?” asked Ryle as he came up. His grin was curious, but he was also very happy to see Gabe embracing his father. He's better, thought the Cana. His cheeks flushed, thinking that the thing he had been craving may soon follow.

“Yes. Father and Meg are going to be married at OSA. Meg doesn't know yet, so shush.” Ryle made his own flying hug into the pile, and both Gabe and the Captain ruffled his crest.

“I am so happy. I...I feel a bit woozy.” Ryle's eyes rolled back as his body went limp. The world was becoming very fuzzy, sounds were muffled and seemed distant.

“Ryle? RYLE! Gabe to med team! My quarters, now! Hang on Ryle.” The Cana was hot to the touch.

* * *

The trip to OSA was made at maximum speed. Ryle was placed on life support. His breathing was shallow, his heartbeat slow and weak. The doctor said he was stable and would be fine until they reached OSA.

“What is wrong, doc?” asked Gabe as he held Ryle's claw.

“If my information on Canari is right, he has something similar to pneumonia. For a healthier Cana I would simply put them on bed rest, lots of fluids, and an antibiotic regimen. With Ryle's unique past, and the seemingly inconsequential problems...I am not qualified to do this. I can keep him stable and keep it from getting worse, but I cannot make him better. You must know that, Gabriel.”

Gabe wiped away the tears. “I...I get it. You're doing what you can, and it's more than I can do for him. Thank you. Can it be given to humans?”

“No. Our physiology is too different. The only thing we can share is children. Although, the female must be Canari.” That part Gabe understood. The human mother would give birth to live young with talons. “With that said, I will be making up a cot here so you can be with him when you're not at your duties. Captain Jer has volunteered to stand guard himself, as have a few of the pilots, to make sure no one other than you or I have access to Ryle. Not even the Captain or Meg, at least not without your permission as his mate.”

“Yes, they can visit. I mean, they're his family, too, as far as I'm concerned. Thank you, doc.”

The two week trip was taken down to three days, and Gabe spent every hour he could being next to Ryle. The round-the-clock guards made it clear no one was to get near Ryle. While a few of the crew wished to check on him, Captain Jer would just motion them off, with his rifle if necessary. Gabe slept and ate with Ryle, spoon feeding the Cana the medication that the doc would normally have used the IV for. “It...might make him feel better. To be fed.”

The doc could see no reason to not mix up an oral version and let the lad be. Gabe was fast asleep when the Doc came in. “Gabriel, we are docking now. Medical personnel from OSA will be here as soon as the doors open. I know you want to go with them, and you can as far as the lobby of the hospital, but I cannot say if you can go farther.”

“I understand.” Gabe was up and dressed in his uniform in moments. When the medical personnel boarded, they found the small Cana was to be escorted by armed soldiers, which included the mate, Captain Jer, and the infamous Captain himself.

The medic was also a Canari. “So much for our brethren. You do him and our people great honor,” he said. Normally it would include bows and formalities, but he knew this was not the time for that. Still, the words could be said.

“The honor has been ours to know him. His blood is pure and sings, he is worth more than many I have met in my travels.” The Captain meant every word. Gabe choked up a bit. When they got to the lobby, they were stopped due to the weapons. “Gabe, he is in the best of care.”

“I have seen to that personally,” said Station Master Deacon as he came from the waiting room.

“Deacon. Thank you.”

“That child has seen enough evil, and the thought of him passing would kill Kyla, who has become like a daughter to me.” He laid his hand on Gabe's shoulder. “He will be well by the ceremony. Or well enough to attend, from what I have been assured.” Gabe nodded.

And waited.

He was told he was not allowed to see Ryle. The environment was to be kept absolutely sterile. No one was allowed direct contact unless they were medical staff, and even then they had to be sterilized. Gabe knew what pneumonia had done before medical advancements had all but eradicated such common viruses as flu. It could kill even healthy men...what was Ryle going through right now?

Gabe went to the room that he had been given for his duration as guests of Deacon. When he walked in, he found Sten pacing the floor. “Master Gabriel, how is he? I mean, I have been sent...”

Gabe waved away the words. “The doctors say he's improving. And no master title for me. Ever. We're going to be related, and I won't ever think of you as property or a slave.” He gave the large man a hug. “I am happy to call you my brother-in-law.”

Sten, unsure of what to do, returned the embrace. Word of Gabriel's attack was not widely known, but it was also no secret. “You are the kindest man I have met other than Master Deacon.” Sten pulled away with a grin. “Now, I have been sent to ease your tensions. I believe you once asked to make use of my strong hands. If you feel well enough for it, that is.”

Gabe sagged a bit. “Sten, I am putty in your hands. A month ago I would have said no. Now... I don't care what you do as long as you remember I'm going to be your brother.” He stripped off his shirt and pants. The scars were there but fading to white.

Sten laughed and motioned to the massage table. “Deacon said to be wary of your wily ways. I will not fall prey to your charms.” They shared a laugh, a much needed one, and Gabe lay down to relax. He could do nothing about Ryle but worry, and he could do that just fine while getting the best massage of his life. Ryle was good...Sten was much better. “Kyla still does not know you're here, or that Ryle is ill. I hope it doesn't hurt her to know we kept this from her.”

“If she's like Ryle, she won't care.” He left out the part that if Ryle should pass she would care.

“Gabriel, I have something to ask of you.” Gabe grunted as Sten dug his fingers into Gabe's tensed muscles. “I have no family to speak for me in the Canari way. Would...would you be my family? And my Best man?”

“Sten...I would be honored. Ask me again after we're done.” Sten chuckled and went back to work.

Day after day, Gabriel checked in on Ryle. He was permitted one hour of com time with Ryle, who was well enough to talk a bit. “How are you, Ryle? And don't say fine. I know better.”

“I hurt, Gabe, but I'm healing. Doc says I should be out of here and at the wedding. Assuming it's still going on.”

“Oh it is. We all know you would want it to go on, no matter what.” Gabe had to convince himself of that over the past few days. Two days to the wedding, and it all seemed like he wouldn't be there.

“Good. You're right too. I would want them to get this over with.”

“Father says he wants you there. He's...he knows that your family is smaller than it should be. He wants you to, hopefully, someday, think of him as a father. We know no one can replace your parents, but... Ryle, are you okay?” He could hear Ryle softly sobbing.

“I'm...he really said that?”

“Yeah. It's not just my heart you have a place in. When you got sick, Captain Jer stood guard. Cook delivered food himself. The pilots have a get well holo when you're out. Meg has been fretting over everything because, and I quote, 'the best damned assistant I have ever had is sick and I can't see him. I miss him,' end quote.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. We all miss you. Even some of the one who didn't have anything to do with you asked if you were well. Probably to avoid me killing them if they pissed me off, but it still showed care, right?” That got a weak laugh. “I'm glad I get to talk with you. I have been worried. Sten has been over twice to get the knots out of my back.”

“Replacing me with a larger model?”

“Larger, yes. Replacing...never. Ryle, you must know that...no matter what...there will never be anyone other than you.” His voice broke. The thought that Ryle might not live was always there. It was a ghost that haunted Gabe worse than the memories of his rape.

“Gabe...I will live. I will be out of here in two days. I will be there to watch...our parents walk down the aisle.” Gabe's smile was radiant, made more so by the few tears that fell.

“You're amazing. You're in there sick, and you still...God I love you Ryle. So much.” They talked for the entire hour. About their plans after all this was over. About life before they had met. Ryle touched on a few things he felt he needed to tell Gabe. About his past, his family. It all seemed important to Ryle to say. “Family is everything, isn't it.”

“Yes. Gabe...if I...don't make it...take care of Kyla for me.”

“Hey, you just told me you were getting out in a few days. None of that. But...yes, I will.”

* * *

“Tell me again why I have to look like a walking marshmallow?” Meg asked as she was dressing. Contrary to tradition older than memory, the Captain was helping her get dressed. He was already dressed in full parade uniform, which included the awards he had earned while he was in the service. Meg wore a cream dress that did nothing to hide her baby bump.

“Because, we're going to a wedding. Kyla won't be wearing white, which means you can and not upstage the bride. White with her plumage...ghastly.” Meg laughed and kissed him.

Gabe knocked and walked in. He, too, was dressed in full uniform, but his was not the same as the Captain's. His seemed more elegant, less military. “Gabe, you look amazing.” Meg stepped over to kiss his cheek.

“I wanted to look my best...for Ryle. I know he won't be one hundred percent, but I'll make up for it.”

“That's my son. Come on. We don't want to be late.” The Captain passed him a small box without Meg noticing. He was the Best Man at his father's wedding.

The chapel was small, but it was filled to capacity. Gabe could see so many people he didn't know, and for a moment he felt a touch of unease, but he took a breath and walked in. There were a few people he knew. Cook was there, as were many of the Starcutter's senior crew. David was there, which shocked Gabe. When Gabe waved, David smiled. “What bring you out here? Earth is not just around the corner.”

“Familial obligation. Your mother would want me to make sure he does not back out.” Gabe laughed.

The Admiral was also there, although he was keeping out of the way until Meg was aware she was also getting married today. The normal sour look on his face was not so sour right now. He looked a bit happy, to be honest.

The Gabe saw Ryle. He was wrapped in blankets and his head wrapped in something, but he was here. He walked over quickly. “Is it okay if I give him a hug?” Gabe asked of the nurse attendant.

“Hug no, but a small kiss on the cheek would be okay.”

Gabe got down on one knee and gentle kissed his mate's cheek. They gazed into each others eyes for a long moment before Ryle returned it. “I am going to be fine. The blankets are more precautions then necessities.” Gabe caress his cheek before making his way to the front of the chapel. When the music started playing, Ryle looked forward, confused. “Why is Sten up...Captain?” he asked turning to the Captain as he stood. That vantage allowed him to see down the aisle to where Kyla was being escorted by Station Master Deacon. “Ky...” he whispered.

She looked so stunning. She wore the ceremonial garb of the Cana female during mating rituals, the bone beads and shawls that proclaimed to all she was of age and was going to be with her life partner this day. When she saw Ryle and Gabe, her face took on the brightest smile. “Master?” she asked quietly to Deacon.

“I made sure they would be here for you, dear one. Anything for you.” The adoring look he gave her was more than she had seen from anyone not family or Sten.

“You are too good to me.”

Once at the front, Deacon passed her off to Sten with a small bow. Today they were not slaves. Today they were a happy couple and no one would deny that. The priest spoke. “The joining of two souls is a wonderful thing. Cana believe that it lasts for this life and the next for all eternity. Humans believe similarly. Today, the souls of Sten and Kyla will be joined as one. This is a special ceremony, one not Cana or Human, but a blending of the two. If there is any who do not think this couple should wed and mate, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace.” No one said a word. Not with the pure love Kyla and Sten had radiating from them. “In the Canari tradition, the male would build his mate a nest for their young. As one is not needed, Sten has this to offer.”

Gabe handed him a wreath of flowers and branches. “I cannot build you a nest, Kyla, but I offer you this wreath. A symbol of the natural order of life, a mating of two worlds in the eternal circle. Roses for beauty, lavender for serenity, ivy for stability, and holly of health. Do you accept this, and with it, me as your mate and husband?” She started to cry as she nodded. He placed the wreath upon her head.

The priest continued. “In the Canari tradition, the female would give the male a weapon she fashioned herself so he may defend her and their children. As this is a special case, Kyla has this.”

Kyle pulled a ring from the fold of her garment. It was gold with a sword made of sapphire set into it. Sten grinned. “I cannot give you a sword, my love, but I give you this ring. As you have given me a ring, I give you this one. A reminder that I am yours forever, to have and to hold as your mate and faithful wife, if you would have me.” He held up his hand and she placed the ring on his finger.

“Family is all to the Canari. Sten has no family, but Gabriel has called him brother and will act as his family.” Ryle looked over at the slight smirk. Gabe knew this was happening! He knew all along! “Gabriel, do you believe that Kyla will bear him healthy children and be his faithful mate for eternity?”

“I, Gabriel, son of Man and spoken-brother of Sten, approve of this mating. The female is a good match for this male.” The words were formal, but then Gabe added, “And He better treat her right or he'll answer to his brothers.” Sten nodded knowingly while Kyla colored prettily.

“Kyla does have family here. Not only a spoken-father but her nest mate. Ryle's claim is strongest, if he feels well enough to speak. Do you believe Sten will be a good father to Kyla's children and protect them and provide for them in times of adversity?”

Ryle sat up taller in his seat. “I, Ryle, nest mate to Kyla, son of...” he began a far more amazing list of ties he could claim as he was a free man. “I approve of this mating. The male is a good match for the female. Gabe was right, he better treat her like a queen, and she better not push him around like a certain fledgling.” Kyla just stuck her tongue out at Ryle. “I approve wholeheartedly.”

“Then, but the symbols and power invested in me, I now pronounce you mated. Husband and Wife. You may kiss the bride.”

The crowd applauded as he swept her into his big arms. Gabe took a step back and smiled over at Ryle who was knuckling away his own tears. Sten picked Kyla up and carried her over to the side as the next ceremony was about to start. The Captain stood and nodded to the back. Meg, sensing something was going on, looked back to see her grandfather.

“No...really?” The look on her face was joyous as the Captain stood and made his way to the front of the chapel. “Ryle, did you know about this?”

“Of course.”

The admiral took her hand. “Come, let's make an honest wife of you.” She laughed and took his arm as he escorted her. The Captain saluted before he took her hand. The admiral, taken aback for a moment, returned it.

“Okay! Settle down. We're here today to make sure this rascal gets what he deserves.” Gabe laughed as the Captain rolled his eyes. The person officiating was the First Mate. “I don't know how this lovely woman ever got her claws into the Captain, but I'm glad she did. I have seen their love blossom and grow over the years, something I never thought would happen for my honored Captain. I could go on and on, but let's face it. We need to do this before he runs off. Anyone gonna say no?” No one would dare say no, and if there was even one person it would have been drowned out by the laughter. “Good. I doubt the Captain has much to say, but he said he wrote vows.”

Gabe handed his father then ring. “Megan Rachel Tyler, I am not a perfect man. All I have to give to you is a perfect love. I have made many mistakes, some of them having wonderful outcomes,” he said as he looked over at Gabe, “but you are the one pure thing I have ever had in my life. You have brought happiness to my life, a light in my darkened heart. You have shown me what it is to love, and with your patient guidance...and a board to the back of my head...you brought me closer to my son. You will forever have me as your proud servant. I can't be humble.” She laughed, knowing that to be true. “If you would have me, I vow to be the best husband, man, and father I can be.” She nodded and he put the ring on her finger.

“Now, before the drugs wear off and she realizes she's been duped, Meg probably has something to say. She always does.” Even more laughter came.

“Yes, I do. I always will, too. Captain Franz Gabriel Baker, when we met I knew I was going to be another conquest. It was fine, you were hot and dangerous.” The Captain grinned. “But somehow along the way, I actually grew to care for you. You made me your supply officer with the excuse that you liked the way I mended clothes, but even then I knew. We had grown to care for each other. Years later, with Gabe and Ryle entering our lives, I saw the side of you I always wanted to see. An open care for someone other than me. You have made me a happy woman, and expectant mother, and now the wife I never thought I would be. I would say happiest, but Kyla has that role.” Kyla colored prettily. “If you would have me until you're older and grayer, I vow to never change. Except when I order you to feed the children at three in the morning.” That made the Captain roar with laughter.

“And I hope you never change, my love.” She placed the ring on his finger, one that had somehow ended up in her hand.

“Grandfather, did you...”

“Yes, now hurry up and marry him so I can hate him again.”

“Yessir!”

“Now, Captain, do you?” He nodded. “Meg, do you?” She nodded. “Good, now kiss her.” And boy did he ever. The crew went wild, and Gabe doubted a more rowdy ceremony this chapel had never seen.

The Captain and Meg parted with a nod. They looked over to Ryle with their arms open. Gabe watched as Ryle stood, the blankets falling away. He unwrapped his head. Kyla and Gabe both gasped as they saw Ryle. He was dressed in a beautiful uniform from the Starcutter, made in the Canari style, but what held their gaze was impossible.

Ryle had wings. Silvery, metal wings. Gabe could hardly believe his eyes.

Copyright © 2016 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 9
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 02/04/2016 06:15 AM, Normischell said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I LOVE YOU!!! WOOHOO!!! Ryle has WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they are not his ORIGINAL wings, so I could lie right to your face without a qualm. I love when my readers see something ahead of time. Lets me know I am writing what we both want.

Link to comment

Absolutely loving this story! Found it last night and tore through all 22 chapters by this afternoon. I can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/04/2016 10:16 AM, elisabeth3 said:

Absolutely loving this story! Found it last night and tore through all 22 chapters by this afternoon. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Welcome to my insanity then. I have been trying to finish this story up so I can move on to new ideas and a potential collaborative story with another author on here, but it had been a wonderful ride. The idea came from reading a story by craftingmom (my editor for this) so go check out her work. Wonderful. If you are new to my stories, check out my other ones. Cheers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/04/2016 03:27 PM, LadyDe said:

You made me tear up!!! :wub: So, Ryle wasn't sick? Aw who cares....HE'S GOT WINGS :D

You think this was bad? Bring a box of tissues for the finale

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you, fantasyboy69, for such special characters. They are a wonderful tribute to the fact that family is so very, very important -- be it biological or built. I had guessed that Ryle was going to get wings although I was so caught up in the story that I did not stop to write anything (bad, bad John! :*) ). I wasn't sure how he would get them so the metal wings were a surprise. Even more of a surprise, you tricked me with the pneumonia. When Ryle took off the blankets and showed his wings to everyone for the first time at the wedding, I think I was as suprised as Gabe!
I do hope we have not finished hearing about their life together after the Epilogue, if not right away at least some time in the future. In any case, thanks again for this story!

 

John

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..