Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 2,413 Words
  • 5,105 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcutter - 11. Chapter 11

“All hands, brace for impact!” said the Captain over the intercom. The Starcutter jolted a bit as the concussion missile slammed into the shielding. It did little damage to the shields or the ship, but enough of them would punch through the shields, and then the engines would be toast. “Pilots to the jets. Marines ready for combat.”

Gabe and Ryle were helping prep for the fight. One thing they found out was the pilots needed a lot more help than they had to get ready. The duo was doing what they could, this being the fifth fight this month, and they knew the pilots were appreciative. Especially of Ryle. His quick fingers and fast speed made him the ideal helper for getting them suited up, which was the longest part. Gabe would haul their gear to a common area and then get out of the way.

“Bay to Captain, we are one jet short.” They didn't want to say they had lost a wingman last fight. It was a bad luck superstition to mention them while in combat.

Do what you are paid for,” came the reply.

“Aye aye, sir.”

Within moments, the fighter jets had scrambled and were taking the fight to the much smaller and more agile Jil'deni who had been trying to muscle in on their employer's territory for the past few months. It would be a decent fight, and Gabe knew a few good men would not be coming back, but such was the life of a privateer.

“Ryle...don't even think about it,” Gabe said as he noticed the Cana was eying the last jet.

“You know how to drive it, right?”

Gabe smiled inwardly. Drive it? Aloud, he said, “I have some hours, but not enough to do both gunning and pilot.”

“You shoot, I'll fly.” Ryle started for the jet.

“Are you insane? Have you ever flown one before, Ryle?”

“Well, no, but I have watched them go through flight checks this past month. Push to go down, pull to go up, left is left, right is right.” He hadn't stopped walking either.

“I told you, I will not let you die by another hand other than mine!” He picked up Ryle by the waist.

Ryle smiled back, an almost mischievous gleam in his eyes. “Then you'll just have to shoot them before they shoot us.” Ryle wiggled out of Gabe's gentle grip and jumped into the cockpit. “Get suited, Gabriel.”

“Fuck a duck, you only live once.” He ran back and stripped as he went, pulling on the suit when he got there. It took him a bit longer than the rest, as this was the first time he had suited up unaided. “You know we're going to die, right?” he asked as he got in. It was a bit of a tight fit for him in the gunner seat, but it wasn't too bad.

“Then we'll die together,” Ryle said as he closed the cockpit. That was morbidly romantic.

Ryle taxied to the bay doors, knocking over a storage trolley, but Gabe was impressed he had gotten them this far. The slave could see the exact controls the pilots had used and initiated the launch. They were out into open space in a moment, and Gabe wondered where Ryle learned to do all this.

“Gabe, you will have to shoot fast.” Ryle didn't give him much chance as he was engaging the enemy. They weren't expecting this last ship, and Gabe was able to get in a few shots to destroy one of the enemy fighters.

The com was full of chatter, and more and more of it became about them because Ryle was flying circles around these guys. It was all Gabe could do to get his sights lined up and squeeze off a few shots. Yet they seemed to be getting more in sync with each other. Wingover to loop behind, fire twice, bank left, fire once. They said nothing, but Gabe was seeing it all play out and was even seeing the patterns Ryle was weaving in and out as he was making it.

Who is that?”

“...Damn fine flier.”

“...Helluva shot too.”

Ryle just let his instincts show him where to go. It was so easy for him. This was what he was born to do. Maybe not in a fighter jet, but flying was in his blood, and out here he could let his blood sing.

And sing he did. It was soft, but Gabe could hear it. It was a stunning sound for the battle, but as entranced as Gabe was, he heard patterns. Ryle was telling Gabe what he was doing in Canari! He didn't know the language, but the melody didn't change as he performed the same few maneuvers. When Ryle noticed Gabe was catching on, he added another. Each time, Ryle got more complex, pushing these jet to its limits.

It's not to say that they got away unscathed. One shot did hit the wing tip, but that was all, because Ryle flipped her around and let Gabe keep them safe.

“...Didja see that?”

“Maybe the Captain joined in.”

“The Cap don't fly like that.”

The com chatter was cut off from the bridge of the Starcutter. “All ships return. Main defenses are online.

“Ryle, can you get us in?”

“I think so.”

That was not good. “There is a little blue switch to your right. Flip it and let go of the stick.” Ryle flipped it and did as ordered. The autopilot engaged, and the jet went into its automated landing sequence. The problem was, it was a slow landing. There were still fighters out here shooting at them. Gabe saw the big issue. “All units, this is Gabriel. Keep them off our ass as we're on auto.”

“Copy, Gabe. Nice flying, kid. All units, keep the boy safe.”

Gabe could only watch as the rest of them kept them from being shot down. Not really engaging the enemy as distracting them. Anything to keep them from seeing the slow moving target. As soon as the jet was in the bay, Gabe radioed, “We're in, get home now. Captain, you are free to fire main defense when the fighters are clear.”

Thank you for your permission, Gabe. When you are free, meet me in my ready room.

“Yes, Captain.” Gabe sighed as he turned off the com. “I'm dead,” he said.

“We both are. I'm going with you.” Ryle opened the cockpit, and they got out very quickly to get behind the safety blockade should one of the jets come in hot.

One by one, the jets came in. Some looked shot up, but everyone got back safely. The blast doors of the bay slammed shut, and the sound of energy gathering filled the bay. Then all was silent. Gabe and Ryle took that moment to leave and headed to the bridge. Ryle reached up and took Gabe hand in his momentarily. That simple touch had Gabe standing up straighter.

“You heard me telling you what I was doing,” Ryle stated.

“I thought you were singing, at first, but then I heard each phrase was followed by the same maneuver. So I listened and fired. Is that how your people fly?”

Ryle nodded. He had a far off look in his eye. “That will probably be the closest I'll ever come to flying. I'm glad I could do it with you.” He wiped away a tear, reveling in the memory of his experience. There was no wind in his feathers, but the jet had responded to him well enough. It was such a wonderful thing...he wished he had a better jet!

They marched onto the bridge as the blast shields were opening from the viewing area. Gabe and Ryle could see the wreckage of the entire Jil'deni fleet floating in space. “Ready room, now,” ordered the Captain, and they followed. No one on the bridge said a word.

Once inside, and the door was shut, the Captain backhanded Gabe. The lad knew it might come and stood ready for it. Still, he was not ready for it to knock him back that far. Ryle just stood with his head down, waiting for his punishment. “That was for putting your life on the line! Endangering the pilots! Without authorization!” The Captain advanced again, and Gabe stayed where he was. He would not back down, even though he had a bloodied lip. The Captain pulled him into a strong embrace. “I have never seen such damn fine flying. I am so proud of you!”

After a moment of shock, Gabe returned the embrace. “Thank you, Father. I won't go out without authorization again.”

“Where did you learn to fly like that?” he asked as he held his boy out at arms' length.

“I can't fly like that. I was gunning.”

The Captain dropped his arms and looked at Ryle. “Ryle, come here.” The slave walked forward to accept his fate. When the Captain got down on one knee and lifted the Cana's chin so he could look him in the eye, Ryle got nervous. “Calm down.”

Gabe watched his notorious father as he treated Ryle with care. A part of him wondered what it would have been like to grow up with the man. He could already tell he was learning more about how to be a parent, although that backhand still was no fun.

“You did some fine flying out there, Ryle.” The Captain stayed there until he saw Ryle was no longer cowering.

“I did what I felt, Captain,” came Ryle's small reply. He was scared of the Captain, but he also respected him. “Will I be punished?”

“No. The hit was for the both of you. Gabe told me any punishment you earned was to be given to him. So half of that was yours.” He stood and winked at both. “Now, what punishment shall I give you for doing something stupid, if with good results.”

“You could make me take flying lessons so I can land,” Ryle put in.

The Captain laughed. “Cheeky! There is the mouth I heard so many months ago. Glad to see that easy living has not quenched that fire. Not a bad idea though. Gabe, I'm pulling rank. Ryle is getting flying lessons.”

“Yes, Captain.” He kept his face impassive, but his eyes shown with pride.

“Good. Now, Gabe, your punishment is to go out there with the salvage crew and get the good debris.” Salvage work was long and tedious, and it was not the best duty for most of the pilots, but he would do it. “Those Jil'deni ships were faster than I thought. Might have some nice tech upgrades for our fighters.”

“Understood, sir.” Gabe grinned a bit. “Father...do you know you have changed?”

“I have not!” he roared. Then he grinned. “They would hear that out there. No sense in them thinking I approved of what you boys did out there.” He went over to pour himself a drink. “I know I have not been the best role model or father, but I am trying, Gabe.”

“I know. That was the first time we've hugged.”

“True. You make life interesting. The both of you. I may not be the most nurturing person, and I probably never will be, but I have learned a lot from the both of you.” The Captain sat at his desk. “Gabe, I am no one to judge whom a person loves.” Gabe's eyes went wide. “I see it. Ryle worships you, and you love him with the same passion. I am not blind...now. I see the two of you, and it make me wonder if I could not change how I act. Meg has commented on my better treatment of her.”

“Wait...are you saying...”

“Just love the man, son! Don't let me or anyone stand in your way. I'm too old to change much, and had I loved your mother as I love Meg, things would be different. I didn't, so now I have to learn how to be a father from my own son. I don't care who you love, Gabe, just so long as you're happy. Ryle is a good man and a credit to his species. For all the evil done to him, to you,” he said as he looked at Ryle, “you have come through it remarkably well. Scars will eventually fade, but the ones inside can only be healed by people who love you.” The smile he gave was scary to see. Scary, because it was the most wholesome and genuine one they had ever seen. “The two of you taught me that, and I thank you.”

“Father...” Gabe was at a loss for words.

“Now, when you leave here, try to look like you're not so happy you'll break into song. Also, you have three days.”

“For what?” asked Gabe.

Ryle's eyes opened wide, and his pupils changed size rapidly. “I'll be twenty-one.”

Gabe grinned, but it fell away quickly. “I'll start the papers, but you know they may not grant it.” Ryle nodded.

The Captain smiled and pulled a databook from his desk. Ryle caught it when he tossed it to him. “The petition. Ratified and effective three Earth days from now.”

Ryle began to shake. His breathing and heart rate escalated, and he dropped the databook onto the carpet. This had to be a dream. No one had ever done anything like this for him. “Captain...”

“If you're worried about the cost, don't. I'll just take a portion out of your pay each month until it is paid off. You have been placed here as a full member of the crew. I guess they thought you would be dead soon anyway.”

Gabe caught Ryle as he leaped into his arms. Both dropped all their walls and just cried happy tears. The Captain watched. Meg had been right, those boys are in love. It didn't matter to the Captain. He never expected to have children, let alone grandchildren. Right now, though, he was the happiest man in the sector. The cost to buy Ryle's freedom was more than the Captain had thought, but he had called a person he knew would help out. They had, without question. Some favors called in, some arms twisted, but now...now Gabe could marry his love if it got that far.

The Captain was pleased.

I'm glad that craftingmom is still putting up with me. She catches all my mistakes.
Copyright © 2016 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 58
  • Love 10
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was very unexpected but it made so much emotional sense that the man who lost his wings could fly like a bird. To see them work as a team like that was so gratifying...I soared as well. The Captain's attitude was wonderful to see and what he did for Ryle was really a gift to the son who was gifted to him. Ryle is no longer a slave, but a full time member of the crew and an equal partner to the man he loves. For him, after a lifetime of confinement and abuse...fairy tales really do come true. Thanks for such a wonderful chapter. Cheers...Gary

Link to comment

What Headstall said!! He said everything I wanted to say. :D I actually got a little teary eyed at the end. (sniff sniff). I just love this story!! :thankyou:

Link to comment

A very satisfying and interesting turn of events. And now Ryle is to be free. Perhaps Gabe will find his tongue and tell Ryle he wants to make him his lover!

Link to comment

This story is so good and I loved them flying together! Keep up the great work!!

Link to comment

Just re-read all the comments above 😉 and you have my sentiments as well. Good chapter! Good story! Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..