Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 1,461 Words
  • 4,860 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcutter - 17. Chapter 17

Gabe had only one question as they got back to the Starcutter. “So...Meg's the granddaughter you slept with?”

“Mm hmm.” The Captain had no qualms about grinning like a fool.

“Huh. So, your getting married to her means I'll have a step mother. One who, unfortunately, has seen me naked. I don't know how I feel about that. News like that...might make me faint.”

The Captain stopped and looked at the barely suppressed grin on Gabe's face. He was having the hardest time ever keeping his face passive. “Do you want to live to see seventeen?”

Gabe laughed. “Don't worry, I am sure many men have decided unconsciousness was preferable to twins.”

The Captain stalked away. “Should have left you in my nuts and not in your mother,” he said crassly, which made Gabe laugh that much harder. The Captain did chuckle a bit. It didn't bother him that his son was taking all of this so well. They had become much closer, and their relationship could use some good ribbing every now and then. So long as it stayed within the family. “Gabe,” he said, turning to see his son stop and look back, “what did you learn today about negotiating?”

“Always negotiate from a position of power, and do not relinquish it without something very profitable to gain.”

“Good. What did I gain?”

Gabe smiled. “A new ship should you choose to keep it, the profit from said ship should you choose to sell it, and the upper hand with the Admiral.” The Captain raised a brow. “You're making your relationship to Meg an honest one, thus making so many reasons for him to hate you null and void. Now he can only hate you for the years as his student and whatever new hells you put him through.” The Captain nodded and gestured for Gabe to carry on.

The Captain went to his ready room and placed a call to Andromeda. Once being patched through to the man he wished to speak, he relaxed a bit. The face that came up on the vid screen was shrewd but kind. “Captain, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Partly pleasure and partly business, I am afraid.”

“Business first.”

One thing he liked about this station master, he knew the difference between business and pleasure. “I am calling to both give notice and ask a small favor, both centering around my ship being attacked.”

The station master's face grew grim. “Is Ryle alright? Kyla would be devastated to know he was hurt or worse.”

“He's fine, Deacon. Better than, he's in love and happy as a clam.”

Deacon's face softened. “You do have quite a son, Captain. Much like you, but not so jaded quite yet. Continue with business.”

“The ship that attacked was owned by Alder Corp, of which I see you hold a very large portion of its shares.” The elderly man nodded. “I see this as retaliation for a previous act of mine. Simply put, I blacklisted three of your associates' fleets through my own contacts. These three, plus the man being tried for crimes against Ryle, made up your four partners. I know you would not condone this attack, your reputation as a shrewd business man is as notorious as my own.”

“I see what you are asking. I shall looking into it openly. To attack a captain who has never failed us in business dealings is surely something to look into. Is this the favor?”

“No, but the favor does lead into the pleasure portion of my call. This is notice. The ship that attacked was surrendered to me, ratified by Admiral Tyler, and shall be at Andromeda for refitting.”

Deacon nodded. “I will contact the Admiral for the details, I do not doubt your word. When shall it be coming in?” Deacon was typing away on his keypad.

“Within the week. I do hope it will not inconvenience Alder Corp to relinquish said ship.”

“Not at all. As the now-majority share holder for Alder Corp, you have nothing to worry about.”

The Captain grinned. He was quick to turn that into a profit for himself, he thought. Aloud, he said, “Thank you, Deacon. While you investigate any connection to Alder Corp, would you be so kind as to look up the whereabouts of my former second mate Darth?”

“A loose cannon?”

“A loose end who may find himself cut off should he have anything to do with this.”

Deacon nodded. “Consider it done. Is business over?”

“Mostly. I am aware of Kyla's pending nuptials to Sten.”

“It surprises me how much information you are privy to, Captain, but go on.” One thing Deacon did like about the Captain was he was very thorough.

“I have scheduled to be in the area for Ryle to attend. Here is the favor, which leads right into the pleasure part of our call.” By the end of it, Deacon knew more about this blood thirsty man than any other person not on his ship. His respect for the Captain grew by miles.

 

* * *

 

The Starcutter had picked up a distress signal coming from a planetoid in the Rueb system. It was sketchy and weak, but the signal was clear. Someone needed assistance. “Shall we go, Captain?” asked the steersman.

“Yes. We have nothing pressing at the moment, and the planet is a rather lush one. Someone send a message to Gabe and Ryle to join the landing team. They need the experience.”

“Aye, sir.”

When Gabe and Ryle heard the order, they were into their uniforms quickly. Since they had been naked, it didn't take long. They jogged to the shuttle bay and joined the two marines and medics there. No one paid them any mind until they grabbed gear to board.

“Going with?” asked one of the marines.

“Yes sir. The Captain believes we need some experience on away missions.”

“Good. Gabe, you're a good hand with your fists and them knives you got tucked up, but you ever shoot a blaster?” He held up the item in question.

“Once. I hit it.” Of course, it had been the literal broad side of a barn. He had been aiming at the four foot target.

“Good enough. Tweety, I know you can shoot well enough. Pistols.” The marine handed him a pair of pistols. Ryle just buckled the holsters onto his belt. “Load up!”

The trip to the planetoid was uneventful for those who had seen combat or flown in space – or both, which most of them fell into that category. The surface of the planetoid was highly silica-based, and the few volcanoes that were active produced molten glass. Still, the atmosphere was breathable for a short time as long as there were no active eruptions in the area. The crew had found that the distress signal was from a silica mining ship.

When they landed a kilometer away, they set about with trained efficiency. Gabe and Ryle saw where they would be best utilized and pitched in, keeping an eye on other activities to learn what was done. Most of it seemed pretty standard.

“What do the sensors say, Tweety?”

“Beep?” Captain Jer grinned and swatted at him. “There signal is still faint, but it is steady and coming from that direction, approximately three hundred feet below the surface.” Not the best place for it to be, but they had suits that would protect them for a few hours of hostile weather and climates.

“Do we need suits?”

“Nope. Ambient temperature down there is seventy-three Fahrenheit. Bring breathers just in case.” Geared up, they left the landing shuttle and went to find the source of the signal. They had decent topographical maps from the mining company who ran this area, so they knew how to get down without too much trouble.

The mine opening was large, but some spots needed to be ducked under as this area was mostly mined by the Mong, a small mole-like race. Ryle was fine with the height, but he didn't like the feel of the mines. Confined, enclosed...feeling too much like the slave pens he had lived in for years. It was well lit, and had good ventilation, so they were fine. Still, Ryle felt uneasy. Very uneasy.

Gabe had rear guard as they traveled, keeping an eye and ear behind them for any threat. He had his own sensors going for any movement within the last fifty feet behind him. He saw small rodent life that were known, so he discounted them. What he didn't see, what he couldn't see, was what was below him. The ground gave way. Gabe dropped.

The cave in behind covered the hole. Ryle screamed.

Thanks to craftingmom for putting up with me. You're awesome, even when I procrastinate
Copyright © 2016 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 1
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am torn between hugging you for posting :hug: and bitch-slapping you for the cliffhanger! :fight: You better post the next chapter fast! :evil:

Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 06:23 AM, Normischell said:
I am torn between hugging you for posting :hug: and bitch-slapping you for the cliffhanger! :fight: You better post the next chapter fast! :evil:
I'm writing it now, but there is some content I need to check with Cia before posting. Craftingmom was upset about the cliffhanger too. LOL
Link to comment

Hmm... Didn't see that coming. In my (overactive) mind, the story was going somewhere completely different. Content check could mean something very good or very bad. Intriguing!

 

Craftingmom not liking a cliffhanger? A taste of her own medicine...

Link to comment

No no no. I'm screaming with Ryle.. You made us wait all this time and Gabe drops into a hole and is covered up!?!?!?!

And Craftingmom doesn't like the cliffhanger?? Now that's just plain funny :gikkle: Hurry up and check with Cia..she won't steer you wrong.

Link to comment

Please don't make us wait too long with a cliffy like that! I don't understand how that didn't raise flags to the Captain that this come so close to them being herded to a planet and then the attack . I assume someone knows it's easiest to get to the Captain through his boy or it's the boys who have the enemies. Uggh, the idea of being sucked into earth is really scary. bleh. He made a real enemy in Darth and I guess he could steel that ship that tried to get them away from the Starcutter, but unless he paired up with Ryle's 'formers' then they have two possible culprits now. Poor Riley

Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 01:13 PM, LadyDe said:
No no no. I'm screaming with Ryle.. You made us wait all this time and Gabe drops into a hole and is covered up!?!?!?!

And Craftingmom doesn't like the cliffhanger?? Now that's just plain funny :gikkle: Hurry up and check with Cia..she won't steer you wrong.

I have checked with Cia and I am in the process of writing it. It's honestly a very difficult piece to write, emotionally. I don't like hurting my characters
Link to comment

I can move right on to the next chapter, but I still feel a whine or two are in order. A cliffhanger? How could you? 😉

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..