Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Mask - 13. Chapter 13

(FRANSECA’S POINT OF VIEW)

The city bus dropped me off on Mesa Street, connecting to the street where Jacob lives. I am starting to use to the bus route from my house on the northeast side of town to the west side of town. Although I have to take several buses, it is worth it in the long run. I now have one job that pays me more than I made with three jobs and I was working way more hours.

When I arrived at Jacobs’s house I went in and immediately felt there is something wrong in here today; something like loneliness or hurt is in the air. I just can’t put my finger on what I am feeling coming from these walls.

Mr. Al walked into the hall as I stepped into the house and called out for me. As I turned around to answer him, the door bell rang. He turned towards the door to answer it saying; “Franseca, if you don’t mind I would like to speak with you sometime this morning.”

“Of course Mr. Al; just come and let me know when you're ready to speak with me.”

I continued to head towards the kitchen to put away my bags in the laundry room and change clothing. I walked out of the laundry room expecting to find Beth at the kitchen table having her morning coffee. When if found she was not there I started to worry a little more.

In the small amount of time that I have been here, Beth and I have become friends. We aren’t good, close friends, but friends still the same. We started talking to each other about our kids and how different our lives have been. We even made a schedule of what each of us is going to do each day of the week.

I walked towards the sink to find a huge mess. This is very out of the ordinary since I've been here that Beth has let things get this far. Normally there are a few dishes from the morning breakfasts, but not these many dishes. Just then, Virginia walked in.

“Good Franseca you are here, thank the Lord. Sorry about the mess that you have walked into. I tried my best to keep up with it but at my age, it is very hard to keep up with all these teenagers in one house.”

“I'm sorry Virginia. Isn't Beth here to help you guys out or is she on vacation? I agree that with what you said about so many teenagers. It is going to be hard for anyone to keep up with them.”

Virginia just looked at me as if she let the cat out of the bag that she shouldn’t have. Now I know for sure that there is definitely something going on in this house and it has to do with Beth and further that it’s not good.

“Al hasn't talked with you, yet this morning Franseca? I figured he would as soon as you walked in this morning.”

“No, Virginia Mr. Al was about to talk with me when the doorbell rang. He had to get the door and he told me that he will speak with me later this morning. I said ‘no problem’ and I came back in here to change to get ready to go to work.”

“Well, we will wait for Al to speak with you. Until then I will help you as much as I can to get this house in order. I think we should start here and make our way through the rooms down here today. Eventually will make our way upstairs and clean those rooms.”

Virginia went to the closet where we keep the cleaning supplies and started taking things out. I started organizing the dishes preparing to get those washed up before beginning in other places of the house. I still can’t get out of my mind that there is something going on and I really hope I still have a job at the end of the day.

Between Virginia and me we got the kitchen cleaned in no time, and started our way to the den and living room. Virginia took the den and I took the living room. We split our efforts to try to get this place cleaned up as quickly as possible.

As I finished up the dusting, Mr. Al walked in to speak with me. Instead of going to a study, we sat down here in the living room. As I took my seat and faced Mr. Al, I can't believe how nervous I am. It seems I'm more nervous now than I was the day I got this job.

“Francisca, by the look on your face you look very nervous and I want to start out by saying you have nothing to worry about. Over the weekend, or should I say over the Thanksgiving four-day weekend, our house got turned upside down. Without going into much detail on what happened I am going to try to explain how it will affect you.

I am pretty sure that you have noticed that Beth is not here. She is my neither on vacation nor did we ask her to leave, but she is no longer here. Her, her family and her son moved out on Wednesday evening. At least her son moved out on Wednesday evening, we don’t know when she actually moved out.

This is the part I won’t go into detail about because that is for Jacob to tell you. I will just say is that Joey broke up with my grandson and moved out. It was a very rough weekend and I know there's going to be rough days ahead of us.”

I just sat there stunned with what I'm hearing. I thought by the look of everything that Joey and Jacob are going to make it through it all. They seemed to be so in love with each other that nothing could separate them.

“Last night Jacob and I spoke about this and came to an agreement. Now I am sitting with you to make the offer. I really do hope you take this offer because it will work out for the both of us.

You saw the mess when you walk here today from the weekend. This house is way too big with way too many people for my wife. I don't want you walking in here on Monday mornings finding such a huge mess. You would never catch up with your work. I also want Virginia to relax and enjoy her golden years.

We would like you to work here at the house, seven days a week but on Saturday and Sunday the only thing you will do is cook and take care of the dishes. Maybe straightening up here and there if you feel it needs it.

In return we will offer you for those two extra days are a place to stay. You will have the house that Beth lived in. You won’t have to pay rent on the house. The only thing you will be responsible for his electric, gas and water. That is it. What do you think and say about this offer?”

I sat there not understanding completely what Mr. Al is offering. By the sounds of it they want a live in maid. I have no problem doing that, but what happens if Beth comes back? I would be out in the street without a roof over my head.

“Mr. Al I have no problem working with seven days a week. I worked a lot more hours with a lot less pay before I came aboard with you guys. I just don't know to be honest with you.”

“Francisca, what is it that is bothering you about this offer?”

“I know you say that Beth and her family moved out, but the love people have between each other is very hard to break. What is going on between Joey and Jacob could be just a lovers spat. If they get back together, Beth would be back as well and I am out on the street with two young boys without a roof over my head.”

“I understand your concerns and can assure with full confidence that Joey isn't coming back. Even if he comes back there is no way Jacob is going to let him move back in. Not with the way that Joey left things.

Even if I am wrong on everything I just said. There will be no way that Beth will move back in. The way she and her family took off in the dark of the night destroyed all of Jacob’s and my respect and, more importantly, our trust. They left taking a lot of what was not hers and vanished like a magic trick at a carnival.

So again, even if Jacob and Joey get back together, Beth will never be part of this family like she was before. There are many other reasons I have that I would prefer to keep to myself on that matter. Just rest assured she will never again move into that house.”

I sat there looking at Mr. Al trying to figure what to say now. I know he wants an answer and he wants an answer pretty much now.

“Okay Mr. Al, what is the other ground rules that you and Jacob have put together. I know I can’t just move into the house and not have any other ground rules.”

“If you take this offer, you are more than welcome to moved into that house with your two sons. How you deal with your sons discipline and their schooling is your business. You’re welcome to have any family or friends over at your house. You could have parties if you wish to celebrate a birthday or some kind of events.

The only rule I have is that when you're kids have their friends over, they must stay at your house. I am pretty sure that your younger boys may not be like Alejandro, but we can’t have kids tracking into the main house.

As you know, eventually, all three of these houses will be joined together and a pool will be sitting in the middle of all three houses. Your family and friends are more than welcome to use the pool.

Please don’t get me wrong; I trust you, your boys, and even Alejandro because Jacob believes in him. My grandson sees the good in people that others don't see. I just don't want many people in and out of this house at all hours of the day. I'm trying to get these guys to slow down on the traffic here as well.”

“I have no problem with that one rule. In fact I would have insisted on having that one as one of the ground rules from the get-go. Let's say I say yes, when I can start moving in?”

“Whenever you are already is fine with me. We will call a locksmith to change every lock in the house and give you the keys. We don’t want a copy of any keys to that house. That will be your personal home and we have no right to be in there for any reason whatsoever.”

I agreed to accept Mr. Al’s offer and told him I would like to start moving in the next couple of days. That way I don’t have to pay another month’s rent on the house that I will never own. He agreed and told me that he will call a locksmith to come today and speak directly to me to get the locks changed.

After he finished talking, Virginia and I took a tour of the house. This house is actually bigger than the house I'm living in right now. I am pretty sure that my two sons will love it here. Moving here will also give me a complete clean break from my past life.

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

I woke up with Matt snoring in my ear. I quickly looked at the clock to see what time it is and realized we have about fifteen minutes before the next count. I quickly jumped out of Matt's bed and moved to my bed. I need to stop falling asleep like that or we will get caught for sure.

Somehow I fell asleep again, and didn't wake up until the alarm went off. As I opened my eyes, I didn't see Matt anywhere. I swung my feet over to the floor and I started to rub my toes in the thin carpet in order to wake up.

As I put on my shirt, Matt walked to the door with a towel wrapped around his waist still dripping with water from the shower. I couldn't help myself. Before I knew it, I made my way to Matt and started kissing him up and down his chest.

After he quickly changed we headed off to get breakfast. I can’t believe how quickly our four day weekend flew by. It felt like I just winked and our little vacation is over. Everyone at the breakfast table said almost the exact same thing I was thinking.

We ate in a hurry and headed off to class before the tardy bell rang. As I sat there looking across the room thinking to myself on how lucky I am being here and finding my true self once and for all.

My teacher pulled me out of thought when he asked me to walk up to the chalkboard and answer the question. I looked at the sentence on a chalkboard, and I already know the answer to what he is asking. I just hate being pointed out and embarrassed like this.

I quickly went up the board and answer the question and sat right back down. The teacher walked up to my desk and whispered to me that he would like to see me after class. I guess I'm in trouble once again for daydreaming. I have always gotten in trouble for either dozing off or daydreaming in class while the teacher is lecturing.

As soon as the bell, I walked up to my teacher’s desk to see what he needs to speak to me about. As I approached his desk, he looked up at me and waved me over. I sat down on the seat next to his desk.

“Alejandro, I have been looking over your test scores and your homework since you arrived here. I also went over and took a look at your transcripts from the last school. What I can’t understand is why you are doing so well here and why you were not doing so well at your other school? You are a very smart young man and it’s a sad waste of talent if you don’t use it.”

“I'm sorry sir but I think the reason what so good here is because there are no distractions to take me away from my studies. I'm pretty sure if you have seen my transcripts you know why I am here.”

“Alejandro the only ones that are allowed to know the reason why you are here is Mr. Henderson and his guard staff. None of the instructors know what you guys have done that brought you here. That is the only way we can educate you without bias.

I believe in you Alejandro and I want to offer you something. You have so much knowledge and you can pick up knowledge like a sponge. You would be perfect for my debate team. I know it might mess with your rep of being who you are but when you get out of here I suspect you want to be more than what you were when you came in here.”

“I thought you said that you did not know why I am in here. You say that statement and then shortly later you come back saying that I have a rep that I don't want to mess with. Which is it Sir? Do you know why I am in here, or don't you?”

“I told the truth both times Alejandro. I don't know what your charges are or what your deal is with the courts. The reason I say, your rep is because of what I've heard in the halls. As I walk between classes, I hear a lot of what you kids are talking about.”

“Can I think about it and let you know my answer later?”

“I have no problem with that at all Alejandro. Just do me a favor and don’t take too long making up your mind. I need to complete my roster for the debate team, and hand it in to Mr. Henderson soon.”

I got up and headed over to grab my lunch to eat with the guys. By the time I got to the table most of them had already finished eating. Only Carlos and Matt stuck around to keep me company while I ate.

The rest of the day went pretty fast and before I knew it, the final bell rang to end the day of classes. I ran over to my mail box to check it and then back to my room to do my homework. I have gotten into a routine that I don’t want to change.

I closed my chemistry book right when Officer Jackson walked into my room. I looked up and he waved me over to join him in the hallway. I looked over to Matt and gave him our secret finger gesture that means love.

“Alex, Mr. Henderson needs to speak with you before he leaves for the day.”

So that no one gets the wiser, Officer Jackson asked me to lean against the wall for him to check me out for any kind of weapons. Any time, a guard moves any of us from one area to the other, they pat us down. After they do that, we have to walk always on the right side of the hallway. We are never allowed to walk in the middle or on the left-hand side of the hallways.

We put together a route for me to take when ever Mr. Henderson needs to speak with me. I always get escorted down to a visitation room that has an exit into the hallway that leads to Mr. Henderson's office.

No one would ever think twice that I always use that visitation room. All the visitation rooms have two doors leading into two different hallways. The difference between this visitation room and the others is how close it is to Mr. Henderson's office, and it is secluded by walls so that no one can see me going into that office.

“Alex! Come on in, please take a seat. I need to talk with you about a couple of things before I call it a day and head home. I know you just got out of classes and probably doing your homework so I won’t take much of your time.”
“No problem Mr. Henderson, I have all the time in the world for the next five years or so.” I laughed a little as I took a seat in front of his desk.

“I am sure you have figured out why we did that shakedown last week. I want to go ahead and let you know why. That way we can build trust between the two of us. I have been asking a lot of you and you have trusted me. Now I need to trust you with some information in order for this trust to work.

Officer Jackson and I believe that the guard that escorted you that night when you first met Mr. Flores is an inmate here. The reason we think that is because the night in question we had no new guards on duty in the evening shift.

After the shakedown we did not find what we were looking for. We thought we would have found a guard uniform. We tore everything apart in every building of this facility. There was nothing found except the normal stuff we always find whenever we do shakedowns.

We are now back to thinking it is a new guard and that guard is on the take with Mr. Flores. Guards are not supposed to change shift without getting my or Officer Jackson’s permission to do so. Still, they do it without our permission occasionally.

I can not stress enough, if there are other guards here that are on the take with any of the gangs, I need to know in order to protect you and the others for that matter. I'm going to ask you to look through pictures of our personnel. If you see the picture of the guard that escorted you, please point him out to us.”

I nodded my head as Mr. Henderson handed me a pile of pictures. I started going through the pictures to see if I recognize any of them. There are so many pictures I don’t think all of them are still working here. I have not seen a lot of these guards since I have been here.

Maybe, about halfway through or little bit more. I found the guard that escorted me to the visitation room. I slid the picture little bit to my left and continued to go through them to buy me some time.

I need some time to be able to think about what is the best card for me to play at this point! I am putting in a lot of trust with these two guys. If everything we are doing fails, I need to have guards in my corner to be able to use. Of course, I am not rooting for this to fail, but I need to think it might.

The look in Mr. Henderson’s eyes were of concern. Concern of what I wonder. Concern that it might be a guard or concern that could be an inmate or concern I won't tell him. It could be concern about me, who knows. I pulled out the picture of the guard and handed it to Mr. Henderson. We have come this far, so I need to start trusting him completely from now on.

“This is the guard that escorted me to visitation room that day. Like I said then, I have never seen this guard before that night. If he is on the take with us, I don't know about it. If I ask about him, and then he gets fired or transferred out, I will be found out and then more than likely killed.”

“Don't worry about any of that Alex, I promise you that I will make sure you are safe while you are in this facility. Thank you for trusting me and pointing out the guard. I am pretty sure all this is hard for you because you have to trust someone.”

“I am putting all my eggs in one basket and that basket is you Mr. Henderson. I don’t want any special treatment or favors beyond what we discussed in order for me to lead the gang. I just want to do my time and get out of here on my twenty first birthday.”

“As long as you continue working the way you have with your schooling, behaving and staying out of trouble I have no doubt that you will be leaving us on your twenty-first birthday. What you are doing here will even help you accomplish that.”

Mr. Henderson turned to Officer Jackson and handed him the picture. Officer Jackson took a quick look at the picture and handed it back. Just one sentence got spoken between the two of them.

“Officer Jackson, you know what to do.”

Officer Jackson nodded his head up and down before asking me to get up in to leave. I followed Officer Jackson out of the office and down our normal route. As we entered into the visitation room, Mr. Henderson stopped us.

“Alex. I really do appreciate everything you are helping me with. Thank you son and have a very good evening. Let me know if you need me for anything. I know you don't want special treatment and I won’t give you special treatment. I just want you to know my door is open for you. Goodnight Alex.”

Mr. Henderson left me and Officer Jackson at the visitation room. I arrived back to my room just in time for dinner. I joined Matt, Carlos, and Robert in the hall on the way to the cafeteria. Matt or Carlos didn't ask why Officer Jackson came and got me.

Now, we all are slugging through biding time till Christmas vacation. Just like before Thanksgiving, we have semester exams to do instead of our six weeks exams. This is the only part I hate about this time of year dealing with school. There isn't much of a break between our six weeks exams and our semester exams.

My teacher informed me that I need to give him my answer about debate team at the beginning of January. I am leaning toward joining his debate team. Still, I will discuss this with Matt beforehand. I want his input on this subject.

Ever since I got money on my books, I go to the store every Wednesday with Matt and Carlos. We pass the time in the line just shooting the breeze. This time it is no different than any other time until I saw the guard.

It looks like Mr. Henderson isn't going to move this guard out of my building. I have no problem with him staying in the building. In fact, it makes sense keeping him here instead of transferring him out.

I minded my own business and continued talking with Carlos and Matt. I got to the counter, placed in my order, and got my stuff. The entire time, I didn't even look at the guard. I just want my stuff and to get out of there.

As I walked by, the guard handed me a piece a paper. In order not to raise suspicion, I put the folded paper in my pocket. I will look at it when I get back to my room. I know it is either a letter from Mr. Flores’s or Ashton. I will find out soon enough. I also need to remember to tell the guard that now all kites need to be handed to Carlos, not me.

(CARLOS’S POINT OF VIEW)

I saw a guard hand Alex a piece a paper as he walked by him and by the look on his face, Alex isn't too happy about this. Nothing gets handed directly to Alex without it going through me first. That is the only way we can keep Alex out of the mix of the small things that are going on with the gang.

I got my commissary and walked over to the guard to speak with him. The guard just looked at me as I approached him, but didn't say a word. You must be new because he is not wearing a name tag yet.

“With all due respect sir, you don’t deal directly with Alex. I don’t care who you are delivering for; all kites go to me first. I read them, and then I decide what is told to Alex and what can be handled with Ashton only. So, from now on, if you have anything to deliver to Alex you will need to give it to me first.”

“Listen to me you little shit, do you know who I am working for in your gang? He does not report to you or anyone for that matter. If he asks me to deliver something directly to Alex, that is what's going to happen. And I don’t give a damn what you think or believe your position is.”

“Fine, you want to play this way, we will play it this way. When the dust is cleared, I will still be standing beside Alex and you will be gone.

At least when somebody sees me they know who I am and what I am all about, but you are like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. You're willing to back stab anybody if the price is right for you. I don’t want and I can’t stand to have anyone like you around me in my life. It’s only because where I am that I have to deal with people like you.”

“We will see who wins this battle. I believe when the dust settles, you are either in the morgue or in protective custody. Either way I am fine with the outcome.”

I didn't even flinch to what the guard just said. I stood my ground and waited for him to back down and he did. Once he stepped away, I headed back to Alex's room to find out what is in that kite.

Immediately when I walked into the room, Alex handed me the kite. I read it and then looked over to Alex.

“Is he serious about this request? Doesn't he realize that Bobby attempted to kill you? Now he wants you to not only become friends with him, but to pull whatever strings are necessary to get him in this building and in my room?

Damn it Alex, if you do that I will have to keep one eye open at all times. The zebra can’t change his stripes. Bobby believes he is the one that should be in charge, not you. There has to be something else underneath this request.”

“I agree with you one hundred percent Carlos. I really don’t think it is for him to take control of the gang, because if that is the case. He would have requested me to somehow move Ashton in here, not Bobby.

I think he wants Bobby in here in order to report back to him about things that we are not reporting to him. I can sum it up in a few words. He will be a snitch within our ranks in order to report back to Mr. Flores. I need you to reach out to Bobby and make it clear where he stands.”

I promise Alex that I will take care of this immediately. I walked out and went to my room to put my commissary away before heading out. I know for a fact that Bobby is still in the infirmary and is about to be released. I need to get to him before he gets released because once he's in protective custody I can’t reach out and personally speak with him on our wishes.

I signed into the infirmary for my normal checkup. I don't think I ever explain why go to the infirmary every day. I think I may have left it off as me getting hurt somehow in here but that is not the case.

It started out like that, but through my visits the doctor realized I had diabetes. So I need to come in once a day in order to get my shots and to get my blood sugar readings. It works out great for us because if there is somebody in the infirmary that we need to reach out to I can do it during one of these visits.

Before heading over to the nurse to get my shot, I walked over to Bobby’s bay. As I approached his bed, he looked over to me, which told me that he is awake. The look on Bobby's face is fear right now and I want it that way.

“Don’t yell for a nurse, doctor or guard, if you know what's best for you. The kite has been delivered and discussed. We know what you're end game is and I don’t like it and neither does Alex. He has ordered me to reach out to you and make it very clear that what you have planned isn't going to work.”

“Um, I don't know what you guys think is going on between me and Mr. Flores. I know his son from the neighborhood and asked him to speak with his father see what he can do in order to secure my safety in here. Nothing more was discussed or delivered to Mr. Flores. I never once spoke to him personally at anytime.”

“Alex is going to do as he has been ordered to do, but with reservations. We are going to use a lot of favors owed to us by the guards. It will be done, and when you leave the infirmary. You won’t go to protective custody but to Building ‘A’.”

I started to walk away, and then turned back to make one more thing clear to Bobby. “I also want to make clear to you right here and right now. You have nothing to worry about from me, Alex, or anyone from the gang. You have Alex to thank for that change in thinking within our gang.

If you make one wrong move, show any kind of contempt, hate or anger in any way towards Alex or me, you're done, and what I mean you are done is simple. Damn all the new rules and procedures! I will be coming for you and this time, you will be leaving in a body bag. So you’d better want to be able to live in peace and under the leadership of Alex and Alex alone.”

I walked over to the nurse to get my shot and get my glucose reading. Once I completed everything with the nurse, I headed over to complete my second prong of my orders from Alex. This part is a lot easier than the first part.

I found Officer Jackson right away and explain to him about the kite that was delivered to us earlier. Officer Jackson didn't seem surprised to hear that there is another guard in this place on the take. He agreed to help us out, but made me promise that no harm will come to Bobby in anyway.

I agreed to his request, but made one of my own. Yes, move Bobby to building ‘A’, but not on moving him into my room. I explained why, and Officer Jackson didn't object. He will put Bobby in the room on the other side of Alex. The room has a vacant bed and is ready to move into.

“Oh, by the way Carlos, I need to clarify something with you. I know you are covering for Alex and that is good. But, Alex is going to need more than just you covering for him in here. Mr. Henderson and I have spoken about this in length.”

“I'm sorry; I have no idea what you are talking about. Both Alex and I have been honest with you about everything. Don't get me wrong, we have discussed on what would happen if things fail. We are doing everything in order for that not to happen.

You guys get to go home every day no matter if this works or doesn't. Alex and I have to stay here no matter what. In return, because of that, we may not survive our time here, if this fails and we are found out.”

“You got what I’m saying completely wrong, Carlos. We know for a fact that Alex used your room that you use with your girlfriend. The difference is, Alex isn't using it or girlfriend, but for a boyfriend.

We also know who is his boyfriend and he needs to be careful. He and Matt may have our count down to the very second. But at anytime a guard can walk into that room like I did or was about to the other day. But I stepped back when I saw was going on in that room between Matt and Alex.

Mr. Henderson and I don’t care about that. In fact, Mr. Henderson lost a daughter several years back. She didn't know how to live with herself being gay. She committed suicide instead of talking with her father and mother about her being gay. Mr. Henderson hasn't forgiven himself for losing his daughter that way.

We can’t stop the counts, guards entering into his room, or other inmates for that matter, but what we can do is help him out. We can give them a place to go in order to be together, and not get caught. Alex is doing so much for us this is the least we can do to start paying him back.”

“Officer Jackson, I will take this to him and let him know your concerns. One thing is for sure is that he and Matt are no longer going to be doing anything in that room. That won't be a request by me, but is something he will do on his own. This poor guy has to live with the fear of being found out, and then killed for that.

You may think I'm talking out of my ass on this. Trust me I am not just saying this. Homosexuality isn't tolerated in our gang or any gang for that matter. If there is a gang member that is and is found out, the immediate solution to that is death. No question about the final outcome for gays in our gang.”

“Exactly Carlos, which is why we need to work together in order to protect Alex! In the short time he's been here, I've grown to respect and like the guy. I want him to make it out of here alive and see a brighter future that he wants for himself. Just promise me that you will make sure he stays safe.”

“That is why I am here and stick by his side. I need to ask the same of you Officer Jackson. In that matter to please help me. Please do what you can do to keep him safe. With both of us working on it, he will make out of here alive.”

With that I head directly to Alex to let him know about everything that just happened and that I delivered the message to Bobby. I found Alex alone in his room when I got back. That makes it a lot easier for me to tell him what is going on.

After delivering Alex all the news, he didn’t seem fazed at all. In fact he only said one thing about the topic about him and Matt. Exactly what I told Officer Jackson he would do. There is no way Alex would go to go to Officer Jackson or Mr. Henderson and ask them for a room in order to have sex with another male.

The next day during class, Alex and I got called out to see an Officer Butler. This officer is in charge of our community service hours. He decides where and how we are going to do our community service hours. If he doesn’t like you, he will put you at the grave yard or cleaning toilets in the entire building.

I explained to Alex as we walked to his office. Alex seemed a little worried about the meeting. We have no power in this area to get us put on the good work details. Officer Butler has been doing this for over four decades and never could be bought.

We sat down and waited our turn. I got called in to Officer Butler’s office first. He handed me a paper and then called in Alex not saying a word to me at all. Alex walked in and out as fast I did. When he walked out he had a sheet of paper in his hand as well.

“Where did you get assigned to do your community service hours Alex? I hope at least we have the same place at the same time.”

Alex looked down at his paper and unsealed it. He looked up at me with a smile and then handed me his paper. I looked at it and smiled back at him. I handed him back his paper with mine as well. Alex looked at mine as we walked back to class. The smile even got bigger once he finished reading it.

“Not only did we get assigned to the same place, we get to do a cool job!” Alex said in a chipper voice.

“That is no lie! This is a sweet job to do our community service hours. Going down to a nursing home and helping out there with the elderly. Even though in this home many of the elderly are very sick and most of their family forgot about them it is still a cool place to spend our time just talking to them.”

We walked back into the classroom and took our seats. I thought to myself, just like I told Alex about getting this assignment in the nursing home, all we do the entire time is talk with the people and keep them company.

The rest of the things are handled by the staff on duty. We can help out if we want to. You know empty bed pans, baths, or do their beds. But anything else such as medicine, giving medical treatment or things likes that. We can’t do it.

(STEVE’S POINT OF VIEW)

As I sit here in class, not believing just a week ago I was back home with my family for Thanksgiving Day. I have been here already a year and haven’t caused any trouble. In return I earned the right to go home for the holiday.

When I returned home, it seemed as if my immediate family was ignoring me like the plague. They were upset when I got locked up, but last month I realized the disappointment in my parents’ eyes when I told them I am gay.

Last week was the first time I went home after I told them about me. The minute I walked through the door I basically got nothing but a yes and no one worded answers for the entire forty eight hours. If our grandparents and others didn’t come into town, my parents would have sent me back here.

I am like many Texans and that is upper poor, lower middle class. My family is nowhere near made out of money. Neither of my parents has a college degree nor has a high paying job. My father drives a city bus and has been doing that since he graduated high school. My mom started as a runner in a law firm and now she is the main secretary there.

There were times late at night when my parents thought I was already asleep I heard them talking. I’d hear them discussing how in the world they are going to make it to the next pay check. Even with both incomes, they scrounged for every last penny.

This is where my story begins as to why I landed up in this place. My mother on her way home, stopped at the corner gas station to pick up some milk and bread that we needed. As she walked up to the counter to pay for them, two guys walk in and tried to rob the store. Actually I should say, to rob and do a beer run at the same time.

The attendant thought he was super man or something and tried to stop them from leaving the store. Instead, he tripped on the carpet at the front door as he reached the guys robbing them. When they turned to shoot the attendant, they missed him and got my mother. The only reason they missed him is because he was falling to the ground.

Although the bullet didn’t kill my mother or anything like that, she ended up in the hospital for a while. She used all of her vocation and sick time while she was out, but is wasn’t enough. She was still out for four more weeks before returning to work.

In return of her not getting a pay check for four weeks, bills couldn’t be paid. Every night when I went to bed, I heard my mom and dad argue over money. The arguing almost every night brought my mom to tears. About a week of this I made up my mind to do whatever it takes to help out my mom.

At first I did the small stuff like ask not to get anymore allowance, yard work around the neighborhood or cleaning the gutters all for pay. Still the little chump change I brought home was nowhere near enough to help out my parents.

One day I sat in my yard thinking on a way on getting a lot of money quickly. I know I can’t work because I am under age. I know the yard and gutter work isn’t enough to help out my family in anyway. I need to figure something else out and fast, because if I don’t, my parents might end up getting a divorce.

That is when it dawned on me. We ended up in the position because of two guys trying to rob a convince store and got away with it. The news reported they got off with several hundred dollars because they hit right after the main rush hour was over.

A couple of hundred of dollars would do us a lot of good right now. I ran back into the house and got my old water pistol and a ski mask. I ran out and headed down the street to a convince store I never go to.

I waited outside watching as the customers walked in and out to get there cigarettes, beer, gas and snacks to take home. Once it calmed down, I put on the sky mask and ran into the store. I didn’t see a police cruiser drove up and the officers were in the store getting some soft drinks.

I ran in and ordered the clerk to empty the cash register out. That is when the officers pulled out their guns and ordered me to put mine down. I freaked out at the guns pointing at me. I pissed my pants so bad it leaked to the ground.

I pulled out my water gun and put it on the counter. At the same time I took of the ski mask and placed it on the counter. I started to cry when the officers walked up to me and threw me to my knees. I didn’t stop crying the whole way to the police station.

I stayed there for a long time before they took me downtown and booked me into the county jail. My parents refused to come down and help me out. Since it was my first time doing anything wrong I got out hours later.

Let me say when I returned home my parents were not too happy with me. I got the whipping of a lifetime that night from my father. They didn’t want to hear why I did what I did. All they kept saying is if I think money grows in trees in this house. They are going to have to spend money on a lawyer they don’t have.

I got punished until the court hearing, and depending on what I got I could still be punished even after that. It didn't take long for me to get in front of a judge because of me being at juvenile. Due to our finances, I qualified for court-appointed attorney to represent me in court.

The minute I met my court-appointed attorney she kept pushing a plea bargain. She thinks I can get probation, if I admit to my wrong doing instead of fighting it. I agreed and right away she put me in front of judge.

I stood there in court telling the judge and the District Attorney what I had done. I sat down hoping that I will get probation in all this will be behind me. Both attorneys approached the judge, and they fought among themselves on what to do with this case.

My attorney walked back to me just as the judge ordered me to stand up. He gave me this big old speech on how the youth today is taking for granted everything that they have. He sentenced me to juvenile detention as a warning to all juveniles. If you appear in front of me and you broke the law, you will pay the penalty prescribed by law.

I stood there stunned thinking to myself that this judge was not listening to me at all. What did I take advantage of advantage of? Nothing I said was being taken into account. My reasons weren’t heard. What does he think I have? I would like him to live in my house and see what I have or should I say don't have.

The only good thing my attorney did for me is get the judge to agree on letting me stay out of jail until a bed is free. The only problem with that is the judge made me wear an ankle monitor until I got a bed in the juvenile detention facility.

Now here I sit spending my time until I'm twenty-one. I am still hated by my parents for what I did in order to help our family. Just as I said earlier, I disappointed my parents one more time by telling them that I am gay. That day they walked out of the visitation room and didn't even look back.

So, now you know a little bit about me and how I got here. Last Thursday proved to me that there is really nothing more I can do to get my parents to love me again. I realized then I am pretty much an orphan, but with live parents. I know, I know, everyone of us have our own sad story in life. This story is just one last few years of my life. Before then I had a pretty good life at home.

Alex told me and Robert this morning that he needed to speak with us. It sounded important and we know it has to do with our common ‘interests’. The reason I say that, is because he won’t speak about this in front of the others.

This time, Alex and Matt met us in my room. As soon as Alex and Matt walked in, they shut the door and sat down on the bed opposite of me and Robert. Alex kept looking at all of us, and then started to speak.

He sat there explaining to us on what was told to Carlos by Officer Jackson. I sat there listening to what Alex is telling us in trying to figure out what we all can do in order to be with each other. If Alex and Matt got caught, in time, we will as well.

“So Alex, what do you think we can do in order to ensure not getting caught? We are teenagers with teenage hormones that are blasting everywhere. To make matters more difficult for us, we see our boyfriends every day. So let me ask you again, how can we get with each other and not get caught?”

“Steve and Robert, I don’t have an answer to that question. The only reason I am telling you this is because I want you two to watch out. I know you guys at least kiss and cuddle in this room or his room.

We thought we were playing it smart knowing the guards’ routine. No matter knowing the guards’ routine or not in this place, we have got to watch out. There is always a chance that someone will always walk in on us, at any time.”

The four of us sat there trying to figure out ways how to basically get away with having sex with our partner. None of us came up with a solution to this dilemma. One thing is for sure, we have to take more precautions then before. To get caught being gay in a place like this is signing our own death warrants.

(ALEJANDOR’S POINT OF VIEW)

The rest of week flew by faster than the weeks before. Before I knew it, I am sitting down for breakfast on a Saturday morning. This is my first day of community service and boy I am very nervous about that, because I will be leaving the facility for the first time since I got here!

I found out that Matt got his assignment as well that day. To make things even better for me and him, we will be doing our community service at the same place and at the same time. I am going to really enjoy community service and I always thought I would hate it.

The minute we finished our breakfast, Carlos, Matt and I went down to sign in for community service. When we arrived, I couldn't help but wonder if we were late. It looked like they are waiting on us in order to leave. We were told to report here at eight thirty in the morning on Saturday and sometimes Sunday, if asked.

There are four officers signing all of us in and looks like they will be going with us. After they explained rules, and made them very clear to us we loaded up in two vans and started our way to the nursing home.

The three of us took the backseat in the van in order to watch everyone else. Ever since my stabbing, we have been taken every precaution to make sure that doesn't happen again. We are even more careful now that my father is gone, and my family is no longer in charge of the gang!

All the way to the nursing home I looked out the window of the van. I have been locked up for so long I can barely remember how everything looks out here in the free. The last time I took this ride, I was shackled and too nervous to be taking things in.

I was coming from downtown to Horizon City not knowing what was in front of me. Now I can actually see a clearing in front of me. I know, you might be thinking about the day I went to my father's funeral but wasn't that freedom. Yes and no, and the reason I say that is because it was only for one day and the entire day was filled with people I didn't even know telling me what a great man that my father was. That isn't freedom at all!

We drove up to the nursing home, and waited in the van until the guards ordered us off. We stood in a single line as the guard explained the rules once again to us. I felt like a two-year-old being scolded over and over again. We know the rules and we know if we break them; a lot of things could happen to us.

The minute we walked into the nursing home, we got greeted by a very chipper middle aged woman. She has a smile on her face that just doesn't go away and a high-pitch voice that a cheerleader would have. In fact that is what she reminds me of, a cheerleader from high school, just older.

You know those kind are blonde, cheerleader captain, hyper as hell and always jumping around as if she is doing a cheer all the time. This middle-aged woman is in front of us cheering us on to having a good experience. I think that is very cool at the same time funny her cheering us on to have a good time and not to quit.

She called us up one at a time in order to give us the person we will be working with. We are to split into groups of three or four and work together in the same room. Most of the rooms have two patients in them.

Matt, Carlos and I of course are going to work together. Once we got our assignments, Carlos went looking to find out who has the other person in my room in order to switch with them. He found the person and switched with him. It worked out for the both of them to change our assignments.

We walked together to the room and knocked on the door before going in. No answer was given. So we just walked in. Boy am I glad I have fast reflexes because a bed pan came flying at me. I hit the deck and the bed pan hit the wall behind me.

“Who in the hell gave you guys permission to walk in here? You guys look like thugs and here to rob me. I am going to call the nurse and demand that you guys be removed from my room immediately!”

Before we could say a word, the older guy picked up his phone yelling for help. I really don't think he knows what he is doing. He didn't dial a number on the phone and if he wants a nurse all he has to do is touch the button on his bed.

I walked in a little bit more to look around. One thing is for sure by what is on the walls and his dresser, this guy was in the military during a war or two. In fact he looks like a highly decorated soldier.

A nurse walked in, and explained to him, who we are. He kept demanding for us to be removed from his room because he doesn't want any help. The nurse turned to us and started to escort us out of the room. As we reached the door I turned and spoke up.

“Sir, you may not need that help, but we would like to learn from you. We are teenage kids, growing up in a time of peace. It looks like you grew up and were involved in many different wars. I would like to hear how it was during your time.”

The old guy asked the nurse to let us stay. We walked back in and stood around the old guy’s bed. He just looked at us, before asking us to take a seat. The three of us pulled up the seats closer to his bed. That way we can hear what he is saying.

“I think we should start out by introducing ourselves. That way we are not calling each other old guy and hey kid. Let me start out and introduce myself to you kids. My name is Ron Baird, retired Colonel from the Army.”

We each took turns and introduced ourselves to the Colonel. After our introductions, we just sat there for a few minutes, with no one speaking. The Colonel broke the silence and asked the question that we as inmates don't ask each other.

“If you don’t mind me asking you guys, why or should I say what you all did that got you locked up in the detention facility?”

Carlos, Matt and I took turns and briefly explained to the Colonel what we did in order to get locked up. Out of the three of us, of course I'm the worst. My story didn't seem to faze the Colonel at all.

“Wow, I can see you young guys did something each different to get you where you are in life today. The only thing I would say on that is learn, learn from your mistakes, and please do not do them again. Next time it might not be a juvenile detention home.

None of us asked the Colonel what is wrong with him. I figure eventually as he gets to know us, he will tell us. Instead, he started telling us about the Great Depression and how his family made it through it.

So, what do you all want to hear from me? I'm just an old man waiting for the day I am taken from this earth. Not much more I can offer to this world anymore.”

“You are more than an old man to many. We don’t know you at all, but what I can see around this room you have touched many lives. I guess whatever you're comfortable telling us about the way you grew up or really anything else you’d care to share.”

“I figure the only thing I can do at my age, is think back over the years. A lot has happened in it my lifetime. Some things I agreed with and some I did not agree with. Still, all in all, everything turned out just right. I guess that life is just that way.

I was born in Laramie, Wyoming almost seventy-two years ago. I was the eighth, of twelve brothers and sisters. We had a little run down shack, with only two bedrooms and the kitchen for all of us.

We took turns sleeping four in the bed. When it was not our turn to sleep in the bed, we took spots on the floor around the bed. There was no such thing as taking a shower every day. Back then we got a shower once a week, maybe twice if we were lucky.

I grew up during the great depression of our nation. Even today, like it was when I grew up, coal mining is Wyoming’s main natural resource. None of my brothers or sisters including myself finished high school. We all dropped out of school after elementary. That was a common theme in large families back then.

Due to us growing up during the Great Depression, there was no such thing as rich or middle class families. Everywhere in this nation everyone was for an affected in one way or another by the stock market crash and the Great Depression.

There were many nights that we went to bed hungry because my parents didn't have the means to get food on the table. Other nights we ate but it was barely enough to kill the hunger. But all families lived like that back then.

Since my father worked in the coal mines, he bought most of everything through the company store. After the company took their chunk out of my father's paycheck for rent, we really didn’t have much to live on.

As we grew up my older brothers and sisters got the new stuff. Once they outgrew their clothes and shoes, they handed them down to us younger kids. I don't remember a time, as I grew up on ever having anything bought new for me. But again, that is the way of life, and the only way we survived. I didn’t know any different.

Just like I said earlier, none of us finished past elementary school. We all knew that we had to get ourselves to work in order to help the family. As soon as we boys were able to hold a pick in our hands, we went into the coal mines.

When I started working in the mine is when I realized there were more kinds of meat than liver. Liver was cheap back then; five cents a pound. If we had meat for dinner, it was always liver and nothing else. So when I went to the coal mines and opened up my lunch for the very first time I saw bologna and ham in my sandwiches.

I later found out that my mom believed that the guys going to the coal mines and doing a hard day’s work should get something a little better than those that stay home and put their faces in the books.

My sisters quit school just like us, but went to work in different areas. They took turns to either staying home and help out my mom or go to the local laundry, diner or administration building to clean. They worked ten hours a day, six days a week and only took home three dollars a month.”

I could not believe what the Colonel was saying. There is no way I could ever live on three dollars a month, a week or even a day. That time had to be the worst for anyone to grow up in.

As he spoke that old song by this lady country singer popped in my mind. I don't listen to country, nor does anyone in my family. But still that song popped in my mind as the Colonel told us how he grew up.

After taking a long drink of water from his cup with a bendable straw, the Colonel continued; “Things got better just by little bit when President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed legislation to finally help all of us that were suffering! Food banks were set up and we went in and got our rations for the month. It wasn’t a lot, but enough to make it through the hard times and there was no more going to bed with empty stomachs.

I got older and saw so many people dying at such a young age, because of the coal mine dust or a collapse in the mine. I decided then that I will not die at a young age or be buried alive in a tunnel under a mountain.

I took off one night and went to the largest city near me, which was Denver, Colorado. I slept outside a recruiting office that first night. When the recruiter arrived the next morning, I signed up for the army and never looked back.

Of course I lied about my age, because at that time I was only sixteen years old. Just like now, I would need my parents’ signature in order to get into the military at the age of sixteen. There was no way they would sign me into the military.”

We got pulled out of the story just as the Colonel entered into the military. One of the guards walked in and told us it is time to go. I looked over to the clock on the end table and couldn't believe we have been sitting there for already three hours.

We got up and said our goodbyes to the Colonel. We promised him that we will return and want to hear the rest of the story. At the same time, we asked him if he needed us to bring him anything the next time we come by. He said no, but for us to bring something to eat and drink as we sit here with him.

On the ride back to the detention facility I couldn't help but think how great we had it growing up. As I look back. I never had to go without or get the hand-me-downs. Although I did not get everything I wanted, I got plenty.

We always had some kind of meat on our plate, new clothes when needed and a roof over our heads at all times. My mom made sure of that and she went without in order to get us that. I can’t wait until we visit next weekend with the Colonel. I can learn a lot from the past from one that has lived it. Hearing it from a real person and not from a history book or a historical documentary on television makes the past come alive and feel very real.

TO BE CONTINUED……….

WRITER’S CORNER:

{Finally, this story is getting its own plots. We are learning more about each character and how the developing in this story. I don't want to bore you going into too much past detail of each character. So, in each chapter, I try to let you know a little bit about each of the main characters.

With that said, in this chapter we learned about Steve. Although what he did was wrong, but when families hit hard times, people do things that they would normally never do. You know, certain people do stupid things that seem to be the right thing to do at the time then later they look back and realize what a stupid stunt they pulled.

Steve did that and his parents can’t see that. They are as much to blame for what Steve did as Steve is for what he did. They made the biggest mistake that any parent can make and that is let their kids hear them argue about money. Many kids in families that are in financial problems think the problems their fault and it is not their fault at all!

It looks like Bobby is returning very soon and will be in Building ‘A’ with Carlos and Alex. I am glad that Carlos warned him not to do anything stupid. If he does, I really hope Alex and Carlos are able to handle the problem. I really do think the move with Bobby is going to cause problems.

Let's talk about Officer Jackson, and Mr. Henderson. We got another surprise in this chapter, and that is the knowledge that those two have about Alex and his love life. It looks like they want to help Alex and make sure he doesn't get caught. I believe we can trust these two to help Alex. Mr. Henderson is trying to make up for the loss of his daughter to suicide.

Carlos, Matt and Alex are now leaving the facility to do their community service hours. I love this new plot because it will get these kids to think about their lives. History has been that every successive generation has it better than the generation before them. This is most apparent when you look at the generation that lived through the Great Depression!

The facts I put together and talked about through the view of the Colonel are actually stories based from my grandmother. She is a great lady and is about to turn ninety years old this year. Lately we have been talking about everything that is going on in the economy today and she told me how it was growing up during the Great Depression.

So everything that the Colonel is telling Alex and the guys is coming from the true life of my grandmother. Everything about the size of the family, to dropping out of school early on and going to work at such a young age. She actually told me they made three dollars a month and had to live on that. Could you imagine living on three dollars a month? I can tell you I can’t do that for sure!

Help me out you guys and tell me what you think about each plot. If you want to see something else go on, drop me an email and I will give it serious thought. I will keep throwing in surprises to keep you coming back for some more.

So much going on right now and some much to come! As I did with Shadow OF My Father the cliff hangers are gone. I will do the same with Jacob Finding His Way as well. I believe I have three pretty good developed stories I don’t need the cliff hangers to bring you guys back the next week. I really hope I am right!

I don’t want to say too much more and spoil the future chapters to come, so I won’t. I warn you though! Don’t skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

 

I agree with Jacob…this story is getting its own plots and character development going nicely and portends to become another great story.

Steve is going to be an interesting character I suspect. He’s going to be a loyal friend for all those he comes in contact with, but will be fiercely loyal to Alex in particular, I’m thinking. He sure got two strikes against him back to back with his “mistake” first and then his family rejecting him because he’s gay. It’s amazing he’s still walking among the living!

Bobby won’t be able to suppress his desires to mess with Alex. Remember, he’s walking around much less than a man. That is a reality he can’t escape more than a few seconds at a time. There will be hatred beneath that will compel him to inflict pain outward.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Alex and Matt will be given their opportunities to be together for romance. I can’t imagine how Mr. Henderson is going to orchestrate that and it not become obvious.

I have worked in the nursing home business. Like the boys, I treasured the time I had with the oldsters and hearing their tales. It’s one thing to read history from a book, see documentaries on TV, but it’s quite another dimension when you hear the stories first hand; where you can see the faces and eyes of the ones that lived the history. History books and shows can’t put the true texture into history that those that lived it can.

The old “company store” and rental programs were backbreaking for the lower class in the early years of industrialized America. Today, the “company store” known as the U.S. Government is taking the place of the company store system. This time the company store is providing FOR the lower class while breaking the back of the middle class. History is repeating itself with a twist.

Coal mining is still an unsafe job. Too many lives are lost. The companies have the technology to make it safer but don’t do as much as they should. Something as simple as adequate ventilation is neglected. At least the Colonel was able to break free of the coal mines. It’s is going to be interesting to see what else he sheds light on from his past.

Until next time,
“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Twist and turns all over the place. According to bobby he wants to be safe but Alex and Carlos thinks he is going go be brought in as a snitch which means there lives are in jeopardy. Matt and Alex's love life seems to be spreading far and wide which endangers them even more if this keeps up they won't make seventeen let alone twenty one.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..