Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Mask - 4. Chapter 4

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

I sit here on Matt’s bed, holding him, trying to reassure him that this is never going to happen too him anymore. I couldn’t help but think this is my fault. If you look at from the outside in, it is my fault. If I wasn’t in his room, if I wasn’t involved in a gang, if I wasn’t the leader of that gang, nothing would have happened to Matt.

As Matt settled down, I couldn’t help myself. I love this guy and I know he loves me too. I know he didn’t mean to tell me I his sleep, but I found out. Now it is my turn to let Matt know that I have the same feelings for him as he has for me.

I lifted up his chin with my fingers to look at him. He looked at me with puppy dog eyes that just made me fall deeper in love with the guy. I have never felt this way for anyone. I have known I’m gay for several years, but I have never acted on it so this feeling of love is so new to me. Dating girls was nothing but a cover up, not love.

I spoke first not allowing Matt to speak. I wanted him to understand where I stand regarding him and this thing that is going on. I believe we are both confused and scared at the same time. We need to be careful with the way we go forward.

“Matt I promise you, look in my eyes, I promise you that you will never get hurt again. No harm will ever come to you as long as I am around.”

Matt looked at me as I looked at him. I wanted Matt so badly, I couldn’t stop myself. I leaned down until our lips touched for the first time. As we started to kiss, Matt wrapped his arms around my body. That is when I broke the kiss and looked at him and through caution to the wind. I want Matt to know my true feelings. I will not hide from them anymore. I hope I found the one I can trust and love.

“You don’t know how long I have wanted to kiss you Matt. I had fallen for you since the first time I saw you. Matt I have never acted on my emotions. I have always pushed them to the back. Now I am acting on them and hoping you have the same feelings I have for you. I am falling in love with you so badly, I can’t…..”

“Shut up for one second Alex. I have the same feelings for you. Just kiss me again please. I love the way your lips feel against mine.”

I leaned down again till our lips touched for the second time. This time neither of us wanted to break the kiss. We both want each other so bad. I know for a fact I don’t want this kiss to end. But all good things must come to an end.

I don’t know how long we kissed, but it felt like forever to me. I looked at Matt as we broke the kiss finally. He finally got color back in his face, the tear are gone, and has a big smile across his face. I love it when Matt smiles and shows off his white teeth.

We just sat there not saying a word for a while. I know I need to get things straight with Matt but at the same time I don’t want to ruin this moment with rules. We already have too many rules, and now we must have them in our love life as well.

I looked at Matt as he played with my sweats. He isn’t trying to move up towards my dick, but he is playing with my sweats at the knee area. I sense he’s still afraid to make any kind of move.

“Matt I don’t want to ruin this moment we are having, but I need to make a couple of things clear before we go any further. I want to be with you so badly. I am new with all this. And there is the gang thing I have to worry about.”

“Alex I know what is in front of us. What I mean is I know what we need to do in order to stay alive in here. No one can find out about us. I know that Alex. As long as we try to get this to work only in this room, I am happy. I want to live to smell the free air as well.”

To say I was surprised with what Matt said is an understatement. Don’t get me wrong I had no idea Matt liked guys. He didn’t act gay in any way. I always thought once a person falls in love with another, that person would like to yell it to the world that they are in love. Again don’t get me wrong, I am happy that Matt is the way he is.

We sat there for several hours talking about how we had hoped the other felt the same way. Matt even told me about the dream he had about me the night before. He started to freak out because today the dream started to play out in reality. We both had a laugh at that. I liked it that Matt told me about the dream. He didn’t know I knew about it.

We talked about how we are going to handle ourselves. For now, we will get to know each other more as friends. We can’t date in here, but when we are in our room and no one else is around, we can get to know each other more intimately.

Most important we both agreed sex is still far off. The great thing that Matt told me is that he thinks he prefers bottom than top. Knowing the type of person I am, I am more than likely to be a top. Who knows, I might like to be bottom. Again I have never acted on love with another guy.

Neither Matt nor I have ever been with another guy before. We are new from kissing all the way to the sex. That means we are going to have to learn all this love part on our own. We can’t go around asking if anyone in here is together.

By three in the morning, Matt and I finally decided to call it quits for the night. We both needed to get up early in the morning for classes so we are going to need to get some kind of shut eye before then.

I couldn’t leave Matt’s side without kissing him once again. I leaned in for my last kiss of the night. Matt didn’t even hesitate, He kissed me back. Just as before, when our lips touched, I felt as if I got lifted to another plane. Matt makes me feel more than what I am.

We hated to break off the kiss, but we did. I moved over to my bed, looking back at Matt. He smiled at me as I crawled into bed. I don’t know when Matt fell asleep, because I went to sleep before him. Looking into his beautiful eyes and face, I couldn’t get enough of his glow.

I don’t know how Matt does it, but the next morning he woke me up. I looked up at him as he gently shook me. He smiled at me once he saw I woke up. He walked over to me and kissed me once again on my lips. I can get used to this kind of wake up call every morning.

I jumped out of bed to get dressed. Matt was dressed before he woke me up. I threw on a pair of jeans, t-shirt, and my running shoes. Matt and I walked out to meet Carlos in his room. As soon as we walked in, Carlos spoke first.

“Matt, I need to apologize for the way I treated you last night. I am sorry for acting the way I did and it will not happen again. Alex and I grew up together and I feel he is like a brother to me so I feel I need to always be there to protect him.”

“No need for that Carlos. I understand where you are coming from. You have known Alex a lot longer than I ever will. I just want to be your friend and Alex’s. I have no intent other than a friendship with him or with you.”

Both Matt and Carlos shock hands agreeing on a friendship, nothing more. Matt and I know more than that is going to unfold. I just hope it works out between he and I. If it doesn’t, we are stuck with each other until we get out. We both have the same amount of time to be here. Matt has only a couple of months on top of me before getting out.

With Carlos in tow, we went to get breakfast before classes started. The guys at the table accepted Carlos as they did me. They really don’t care we were once part of a gang. Remember as far as they know, we are no longer involved in the gang life. But anyways, they don’t care. They trust Mr. Henderson to not put troublemakers in this building with them.

Carlos split from me and Matt when the bell rang for class. In here we have only one teacher all day long. This teacher has to know all subjects in order to teach us. I really don’t believe they do know every subject, but I don’t care, As long as I get a high school diploma, I am not going to complain.

Along with Matt, we are stuck in here until we turn twenty one. I plan to get college behind me as well. I want to walk out of here with more to offer than a criminal record. If I behave and get out of here at twenty one, my record will be sealed.

All through the day Matt and I looked at each other a little more then we did before. Not where others can catch on what is happening between the two of us. Just a smile here, a wink there, things like that!

During lunch Matt and I actually tested our luck. We sat at a table in the back of the cafeteria, against the wall. The row Matt and I sat in places us in a good position. What I mean by that is that our backs are against the wall. That means even if you are looking, you can’t see what is happening under the table. Matt and I held hands for a couple of minutes, as we ate and talked with the others.

Carlos joined us, and sat on my other side. By Carlos sitting on the other side, it made it more of a chance we were taking,

After we ate, we decided to go out to pick up a game of basketball. On the way out, I detoured to the office to mail out a letter. I wrote a reply to Jacob’s letter. I wanted to ask him a few questions.

The rest of the day went pretty fast. Most of it I seemed to be walking on clouds. Carlos caught up with me in the hall after last period. He noticed I wasn’t paying much attention to what he was saying. To be truthful I wasn’t.

Matt and I headed to our room and did our homework together. That isn’t anything different than we have been doing in the past. But what we did while we were doing our homework is.

Every chance I got, I would sneak and kiss Matt. It didn’t matter if it is on the lips, the cheek, or just on his head, I wanted to kiss him. He also stole kisses here and there several times through the study hour. We even held hands when he helped me do my math homework.

(DIEGO’S POINT OF VIEW)

I still can’t believe not only I got removed from my position here, but I got even bumped down to nothing. I didn’t mean to go after Alex. He was just in the wrong place when I tried to carry out the order I had gotten from his father. I need to get back control of this gang, but how?

I sat here on my bed thinking of ways to take back control. The only way I know that I can, is by making Alex look like he can’t control this gang any better than I did. In order for that to work, I need him to fail in his father’s eyes.

I decided to start ruffling feathers with Samuel first. I walked over to his bunk to get him going. I already started to put together a plan that is going to make Samuel loose his position and leaving me the only other person Alex could put in his place.

“Samuel I need to speak with you man!”

“What is it Diego? I really don’t have time for any of your bull right now man!”

“No it is important Samuel. Don’t you think it is weird that Alex hasn’t found a way yet to get sent over to our building? For him to be in charge of this gang in here, he needs to be with his guys, not over there in the other building not seeing or making sure things are being carried out.”

Samuel looked up to me and then back to the other guys. It looks like I got him thinking about what I had to say.

“Diego I will call a meeting with Alex tonight. At that meeting I will discuss that point with him. If I feel I am not getting the right answer from him, I will make the call to the higher ups and let them know what’s going on.”

I didn’t say anything else. My work is done here. I needed to plant a seed of mistrust between Samuel and Alex. Samuel will then make a major mistake calling and speaking with the higher ups. Never does the second in command question the first in command. If they do that, they get removed.

I walked back to my bunk looking back at Samuel. He doesn’t seem to care what I am doing, but Martin is watching me like a watch dog. Maybe I have to watch out for Martin more than Samuel.

I had been sitting on my bunk for a while now when Martin walked up to me. He kicked my foot to get my attention. I certainly don’t like that, and he knows it. I looked up at him with an angry look on my face.

“What the hell do you want Martin? If you value your life, you better show me some respect. Never kick my foot or anything for that matter again.”

“Diego you need to get used to bein’ a nobody once again. You are screwing with the wrong guy. I promise you this right here and right now. If you have any plans of trying to take back control of this gang, you will have to go through several of us to get there. I have already told Samuel he has no right calling the higher ups. He is second in command, not the leader so stop trying to fuck with his head.”

I looked at Martin trying to fight him off with looks. After realizing I am not going to win by staring him down, I decided to fight him with words.

“You have no fucking idea what I am doing Martin. I am trying to make sure we succeed the way Alex Sr. wants us to. If that means making sure our new second in command gets a crash course in his position, I will do that. This gang is all I have and I will not stand by and watch it get fucked up by anyone.”

“Trust me Diego, you keep going down this road you are a dead man. We may not get the green light here, but you are. You are already going up to do some hard time where Alex Sr. is at. He isn’t going to take kindly to you interfering with things here.”

“Marti watch your back man. You will never know who is coming for you until it is too late. Just watch your back man!”

Martin walked back over to Samuel and the others. Now I know I am going to have to take out Martin. I am going to need to get my hands dirty on this one. But I have been here before, so I know how to do it. With Martin it is another hoop for me to jump through on my way on gaining back my power.

After lights out and the guards did their count, I saw Officer Jackson come in and get Samuel. I waited for those two to leave before I put my plan into action. Officer Jackson only got Samuel and that means Martin and the others are asleep already. They will be briefed in the morning after morning chow.

I waited for another half an hour before I got out of my bunk. I walked over to the restroom making sure everyone is asleep or at least not paying any attention to me! Once I felt certain I could carry out my plan, I made my move.

I went over to where we hide our shanks in the shower room. I grabbed one before walking out. I started making my way over to Martin’s bunk, slowly and quietly as possible. Making sure no one saw me I walked between the bunks until I made it to Martin’s. I looked down to make sure Martin is sleeping, and he is.

With one hand I grabbed one of Martins pillows and placed it over his face, and the other I started to stab Martin in the stomach with the shank. Over and over again I stabbed Martin. He struggled trying to get free, but he had no luck.

With my full weight on top of Martin he couldn’t shake me off. To top it all off, he has no idea what or who is snatching his life away from him. Once Martin stopped struggling, I broke the shank in his stomach.

Once I knew Martin wasn’t among the living anymore, I put his pillow under his head, cleaned off the other part of the shank of my finger prints. I put that part of the shank under Kevin’s bed. He is the third in command right now.

I made my way back to my bunk making sure no one saw me around Martin’s bed. I laid down pretty happy with my day. I got rid of Martin, a threat, and pinned it on Kevin. Once they discover Martin’s dead body, Kevin will go down for his murder. They have to take Kevin to County and book him for the murder. He will be gone for quite a while.

(SAMUEL’S POINT OF VIEW)

I really didn’t want to call this meeting with Alex. It feels as if I am questioning his way of running things, and I am not. But at the same time, Diego did have a good point when he asked why Alex isn’t in here with the rest of us.

After dinner I approached Officer Jackson to ask him to set up a meeting with Alex. At first Officer Jackson didn’t want to speak with me. I felt I was being dissed, not getting the respect this position deserves to have.

“Look Samuel I have been given a different set of orders from Alex. He made it clear that he is the only one that can call for a meeting. Unless he pulls me aside and asks to meet with one of you in here, it will not happen.”

“My point exactly Officer Jackson. The meet needs to happen in order to get these things straightened up. He needs to be in here with the rest of his gang, not out there. So set up the meet or I will make a call to the higher ups and get it done.”

“First of all Samuel, don’t threaten when you can’t carry out the threat. You will only make that call if and when Alex gives the go ahead. Second if you ever threaten me again, I will shut you guys completely down. Try to explain that to your higher ups you little shit. I should knock you on your ass in order to put you back in your place.”

At that point Officer Jackson ordered another guard to take me back to my dorm. I couldn’t believe Alex actually set up one way communication between us and him. Only he can call for a meeting when it suits him.

Before I knew it, the guards announced lights out. I headed over to my bunk not letting the others know what happened between me and Officer Jackson. I will lose all creditability if they were to know.

I felt someone hitting my bunk as I laid there thinking. I looked up to see Officer Jackson standing over me.

“Alex wants to speak with you. Get up and come with me.”

“Let me get the others as well Officer Jackson.”

“Just you Samuel are going to meet with Alex. If Alex asked to speak with the others I would have said that to you. You need to learn you don’t call the shots nor does Alex. I am doing this and can end it at any time. So you better get yourself straight before you screw things up for your gang in here.”

I got up and followed Officer Jackson out the door of the dorm. I didn’t say another word to him as we made our way to the old gym. When we left I noticed Diego looking over as Officer Jackson and I left. I know he is going to be problem.

Officer Jackson unlocked the gym in order to let me in. I spotted Alex sitting on the other side of the gym with Carlos. This doesn’t sit right with me that Carlos is involved in meetings. He isn’t in a leadership position. I will make it clear to Alex I am not happy with Carlos being here.

As I reached Alex and Carlos, I took the seat in front of them. I can’t tell what Alex is thinking by the look on his face. He isn’t a person you can read.

“Samuel you don’t call for a meeting with me. Unless there is something falling apart, you will not call for a meeting. Officer Jackson is reporting back to me several times a day on what is going on. There is no need to threaten Officer Jackson being found out with unnecessary meetings.”

“Look Alex I am second in charge and should have the right to call for a meeting since you are not in the dorms with us. You need to get over to our building as soon as possible. That is the only way you can run things right.”

“Are you telling me that you are unable to lead? If that’s true, then I better replace you with another that can. Let me make myself clear here and now. I will not go over to your building! You are in charge on that side and I run the overall things here.

That is how it is going to be run from now on. Just like in County and the prison system, the main leader isn’t in every cell block. That is why we have seconds in command and lieutenants to run things.

I will not get my hands dirty; that is you and the lower people. I give the order. You get others to carry it out. You are not to get your hands dirty with the orders either. You got this position because you were the next in line. Don’t make me regret the decision.”

I just looked at Alex as he talked. He seemed to be getting madder as he continued to let me know how things are going to be run for now on. I just don’t see it his way. In order for things to run smoother, the main leader should be in the mix of things.

“Officer Jackson knows how things are to be run from now on. One other thing Samuel, you never threaten Officer Jackson, NEVER!”

Alex got up from his seat at this point. He is really pissed at the way I handled Officer Jackson earlier this evening.

“If you threaten him again, you are gone. I don’t mean just a beating, I mean gone. You know what I mean? I will not lose control in this place because of your stupid ass. Officer Jackson can pull the plug on us anytime. If that happens, everything ends.

Also you don’t make calls to the higher ups. I am the only one that makes those calls, you or anyone else can’t. You also can’t drop a kite to the higher ups. Officer Jackson, if you catch them, just get them to me. If that happens, I will not be happy.

I have I made myself clear on things are going to be run from now on. You will be getting my orders through Officer Jackson from now on. You are to carry them out. If you don’t, I will know. If a meeting needs to happen, I will call it.”

I agreed with Alex at that point. He sat back down looking over to Carlos. That is when I decided not to mention a thing about Carlos being here. I am already holding on by a thread with Alex. Then I remembered how I got myself into all this.

I told Alex about the moves Diego is making on leadership positions in the dorm. I told him about talk I had with Diego and the talk Martin had with Diego. Martin’s talk ended up with a threat to his life.

“Let me make the call to the higher ups. No matter Diego is nothing now, I need to get a green light on him. With what you have told me, it won’t be hard. Once I get the answer, I will fly a kite over with the order.”

I agreed with Alex on that. After that got put to rest Alex explained to me that our lines of merchandise are being reopened. He needs me to get our guys in place to get the stuff up to his father. By the sound of what Alex has in mind, the orders going up are going to be double for a while.

Officer Jackson came up when Alex waved him over. That told me the meeting is over. Alex told Officer Jackson what he told me about the merchandise. Officer Jackson insured him that it will get out.

As soon as I got back to the dorm, I looked over to Diego. I wanted to let him know he was a topic that Alex and I talked about, but I will wait. During morning chow I will call him over to the table and let him know.

I was woken up by the morning guards yelling for everyone to make their way to the dayroom. I have no idea what all this is about, but I will soon find out. Just as I made my way to the dayroom, we got forced out of the dorm.

As we got lined up, I looked over at the other dorms to see if they are being taking out. They are in lock down. Before I could even turn back to see what is going on, the sirens went off. I started thinking someone from our dorm is unaccounted for.

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

I got woken up by sirens blazing in the intercom. I looked over to see what Matt is doing, but didn’t see him. Then the door opened and he got pushed in by a guard. As soon as the door shut, it got locked. I looked at Matt to see if he knew what is going on.

“Matt what in the world is all this about? The sirens and now it looks like we are in lock down. Is this something normal here?”

“Alex I have no idea what is going on. All I know there is something really wrong this morning. Since I have been here we have never been put in lock down. The other building has been in several lock downs, but not us.”

Matt walked over to his bed as I got up. I went over to my closet and grabbed a pair of jeans and shirt to put on. If this has anything to do with the gang, I will be pulled out on it. I headed over to my bed and grabbed my mini tape recorder that Mr. Henderson gave me. Any meeting I had with any of the gang members I am to record them and give to the recording over to Mr. Henderson.

Matt looked at me as I pulled out the tape recorder. I know he is wondering why I have a mini tape recorder and why I am pulling it out. I walked over to Matt’s bed and sat down next to him. I kissed him on his cheek before I spoke.

“Matt I know you are probably wondering why I have this mini tape recorder. Let me explain before you pass judgment on me.”

I sat there telling Matt everything. From the first meeting I had with those in charge of the gang, to the meeting with Mr. Henderson, to the letter I got from my father. I told him everything, not leaving anything out. I want this to work with Matt. In order for it to work, I need to tell him the truth about everything going on.

As I told my tale to him, he just looked at me. I thought he might have asked me some questions here and there, but nothing. He just sat there listening to everything I was telling him.

I couldn’t read Matt to see if he is in approval or disapproval of me. All I knew at this point, he is hanging on every word I am saying. Once I finished, Matt just looked at me. Once again not saying a word at all!

Then Matt surprised me. He did something I didn’t even think he would do. He leaned in and kissed me on my lips. We kissed for a few moments only because of the fear guards could walk in at any time on us.

“Alex I am proud of you. You are trying everything to get away from this gang life. You are trying to get on the straight and narrow. For that I will be here in your corner with support. I know you will never look back as long as you have the support of those that love you and care for you.”

Before I could even reply to Matt, the door swung open. Mr. Henderson walked in with several guard. He doesn’t look happy at all.

“Alex you need to come with me son! You have a whole lot of explaining to do.”

I got up from the bed and walked out with Mr. Henderson. We walked to his office not saying a word to one another. By the way Mr. Henderson is walking; he is a man on a mission. The question is this mission to send me back to County?

Once we reached his office the guard stayed outside as we went in. The guards shut the door once I walked in. I stood in the middle of Mr. Henderson’s office as he walked around to his desk. He got down to business.

“Alex we have a huge problem and I know it involves your gang. A guest here by the name of Martin Montoya was killed sometime last night. There is no way anyone else would have killed him without getting the order. What do you have to say about that Alex, and don’t lie to me?”

“Mr. Henderson no such order or permission had been given. I had a meeting with Samuel last night concerning several topics of that nature. I made it clear to him that there isn’t to be any killing. He asked for a green light on Diego, and I told him no. I lied by saying I needed to get permission from the higher ups, but I can make that decision.”

“What else happened in that meeting Alex last night? Did you record the meeting as we agreed upon?”

“Yes Mr. Henderson I recorded the meeting and spoke loud enough for Officer Jackson to hear everything I was saying to Samuel. I didn’t want any chance of it being said I am hiding something, or trying to be a double agent of some kind.”

At that point I handed Mr. Henderson the mini tape recorder. I still haven’t even removed the tape or rewind the tape. He will be able to hear and see for himself I never gave any such order like that.

We sat there listening to the tape of the meeting I had with Samuel last night. Mr. Henderson seemed ok after hearing the recording. He looked up at me handing me back the mini recorder, not the tape.

“By the sounds of this tape you were trying to get Samuel to settle down. He seemed to be bothered by Diego. It looks like you have an eternal power struggle. Diego doesn’t want to be nothing less than what he was before you got here. Martin seemed to be in his way, and he threatened him. I have no doubt Diego killed Martin.”

“Mr. Henderson did you find the weapon that was used to kill Martin sure?”

“Part of the weapon got broken off in Martin’s stomach. The other half we can’t locate anywhere. We are still tossing the dorm, but I know it will not turn up. We have found several other weapons, but not the one that killed Martin.”

“If Diego killed Martin he planned it out. The weapon got placed on another without a doubt. He needs someone else to take the fall where he isn’t looked at. I would think the one he chose is with in the power structure of the higher ups here.”

Mr. Henderson sat there shaking his head up and down. He seemed to settle more down as we talked it out. The door swung open and Officer Jackson walked in. On his way over to the desk, he shut and locked the door.

“I ordered the guards outside your office to go and help search the dorm. I have a feeling Diego has another guard on his side we don’t know about.”

“Why do you say that about Diego, Officer Jackson? I thought you and Mr. Henderson got rid of everyone else that was on our payroll.”

“There has to be someone else listening to Diego. Samuel knows who it is because if he didn’t, he wouldn’t have stepped up to me like he had did last night. No there is someone else left over from the old house of guards still helping out your gang.”

I looked over at Mr. Henderson as Officer Jackson finished talking. It looked like Mr. Henderson is just as surprised as I am.

“We need to find out who it is Tustin. I can’t have a guard out there carrying out orders from inmates in here. We will lose complete control of this place like before. I will not lose that control.

We also have to worry about the lives of others. If this guard ever finds out what we are doing here, Alex is dead. Then everything we have done is for nothing. No Tustin we need to find out who in the hell it is.”

Officer Jackson shook his head in the positive as Mr. Henderson spoke. He looked over to me as he sat down next to me.

“Alex I am going to ask you to do something for us right now. I plan to throw all the gang members in a lock down dorm. I want to send you in there for a couple of hours to see if you can get anything else out of them.”

“I have no problem going in to get more information. I just can’t go in with a tape recorder attached to me. They will spot it and kill me on the spot Officer Jackson.”

“No I agree with you, Alex. This dorm is set up where we can hear everything that is going on. Look let me show what I mean by that.”

Officer Jackson showed me how they wired this dorm. They did it so damn good no one would figure it out. I myself would have never figured it out. I was stupid enough to sit by a speaker in the holding tank in the county jail giving the order to kill Jacob and that speaker is in plain sight.

“Ok I see what I have to do in order to get it done. For this work as well, Carlos needs to be thrown in with me. It has to look like you are gathering everyone that has been involved in this gang.

Once we see that we either can’t get any information, or got what we need. You need to figure out a good reason to pull us out. I need to keep the cover that I am in charge and in no way working with you all.”

“I agree with you on the Carlos front. He will be going in with you. The other item I have already figured out. We have already put the gang members in this dorm. Now we have to throw you and Carlos in there. The way we are going to get you out is by allowing them to go back to their original dorm. That way when we pull you two and take you back to your rooms, no questions can be asked.”

I liked the plan going in. It seems sound and it might work to get the information we need. As I stood up, Officer Jackson grabbed my shoulder.

“One last thing Alex, there can’t be any killing. You can’t be heard giving an order to kill an inmate. I will give you some leeway on beating, but just a little. I need you to use your best judgment when it comes down to that.”

“I have no problem with the ground rules. I will do my best to make sure there isn’t any beating, but there might be. I need to show we have control of this gang, and no one can take it upon themselves to make decisions about killing another.”

Officer Jackson and Mr. Henderson agreed with me. Still making it clear they can’t condone any beating of another inmate here. If that happens, they will have to come in. They winked a couple of times as we made our way out of the office.

As soon as we walked into the hallway, I found Carlos standing there. I whispered in his ear to go with the flow. Just follow my lead for now. There wasn’t anytime to explain much more to Carlos. The main reason, the other guards joined us already.

For the first time I walked over to the second building in the main hallways. I have never taken this route. I believe I have not yet been in this building, but I can’t say for certain. The meetings I have had with the others have been in the basement, of which building I don’t know.

Within minutes we reached building “B”. Man what a difference it is in this building compared to the building I am staying in. This building actually is set up like a prison more than a detention house.

There are four dorms per section. The dorms are kept closed by magnetic locks. A guard station is positioned in the middle of all four dorms. As we reached the dorm where they put the gang I belong to, Officer Jackson had to yell to the guard station to open the door.

I walked in with Carlos at my side. Just like a cell block at County once you walk in, you are in the dayroom. You turn to your right is the restroom. All the way around the dayroom is a wall that separates the dayroom from the bunks. The wall is maybe three or four feet tall.

I found Samuel coming from the bunk area over to me and Carlos. Several other members of the leadership followed. Without skipping a beat I walked to the middle of the dayroom and took a seat and Carlos is right next to me.

“Tell me Samuel, what in the fuck happened here? You haven’t been in your position a week yet and we have someone taking it upon themselves to kill one of our own.”

“Alex this had to happen when I was meeting with you last night. I had no idea this was going on. If I did, I would have stopped it.”

“No Samuel it looks like you can’t control shit in here. I never gave the green light for this. Now my ass is in here along with yours. They rounded up anyone that has been part of this gang. I will not lose control of things in here. I want to know who in the hell did this or hell is going to break out.”

Samuel looked at the others for the answer. That alone got me pissed. I felt my old ways coming back. I never tolerated my leaders not knowing what is going on with things they are in charge of.

“Don’t look at them Samuel! You look at ME and answer the fucking question! How the fuck did this happen? Who took it upon themselves to carry out this killing when it wasn’t a cleared killing? “

“Alex I don’t know who did, but I will find out.”

“No you will not find out. I don’t know how long I am in here for, but while I am in here I will find the answers myself. I want everyone in this area now. The guards are to busy shaking down your dorm right now.”

Samuel passed the order to the other lieutenants. They then gathered everyone into the dayroom. I know I have less than two hours to find out what I can about happened in the dorm last night.

(MATHEW’S POINT OF VIEW)

As soon as Alex got pulled out of our room, I couldn’t stop thinking something isn’t right. I fear that Alex might not return to me. I can’t get rid of the feeling that he isn’t coming back.

I heard the door open to Carlos’ room. I couldn’t make out which guard is ordering Carlos out of his room, but by the looks of it they are gathering up every gang member. Once the door shut in Carlos’ room, I started to worry even more.

I know what Alex told me, but I am worried for him. I have fallen for him even more in the last couple of days. I know now I can have the guy I like and I don’t want him taken away from me.

Finally an announcement went over the PA system: “Building “A” lock down is over. The doors to your rooms will be open soon. Make your way to the cafeteria for breakfast. After breakfast go to class as normal.”

Just as the announcement ended a guard opened my door. I walked out and headed straight to the cafeteria. I grabbed my breakfast and headed to our normal table. I found everyone there except for Alex and Carlos.

No one at the table had any idea what in the world is going on. All they knew is it involved gang violence. Several rumors got thrown around at the table. The rumors ranged from a beating, to a rape, to a killing. Still no one knows the real reason why we got put into a lock down.

All morning I couldn’t stop thinking about Alex. By ten thirty I knew something went wrong. I just felt it in my gut that something went wrong. I got up from the desk to make my way to the restroom when the door opened.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Alex walked in smiling at me. I wanted to run over to him for him to hold me. I wanted to kiss him so badly at that moment. I just wanted to let him know how happy I am to see him.

As he walked in and handed out teacher a note, I got a good look at him. His jeans are dirty like he was rolling on the ground or something. He has a different t-shirt on than he had when he left this morning. His face has a few scratches and I see a few cuts and scratches on his arms.

I walked back to my desk with Alex behind me. He whispered to me for the first time.

“Everything is ok Matt; I will explain everything to you later tonight. I promise that you have nothing to worry about. I love you Matt!”

That put a big smile on my face but turned my stomach in knots. I figure my stomach reacted the way it did because I have never been told I love you from the one I love. As I sat down I whispered back to Alex when he passed my desk, “I love you too!”

(CARLOS’ POINT OF VIEW)

When the guards came into my room and pulled me out, I thought ‘this is it’. I had no idea what was going on, I just knew shit is hitting the fan and it has to do with the gang. The guards stopped me in the hallway for a while. It looks like we are waiting for something or someone to join us.

Soon Alex was brought out to join me in the hallway. He whispered to me to trust him and to go with the flow. I understood there isn’t anytime to stop and talk. I just don’t like walking into a situation I have no idea about.

Alex immediately pulled Samuel aside. He made him look like a piece of shit. That’s when I found out that Martin not only got stabbed, but killed. To make things worse, it had to be one of us. The weapon that was used is one of ours.

Whoever did is so damn dumb he didn’t remember we create our shanks a certain way. When we use them, we want other gangs to know it is us that did the deed. Even the guards know that.

Finally everyone joined Alex in the dayroom. He just let it rip. He wanted to make clear he is the man in charge and only he can give that kind of order. He wants to know who in the hell did it, and he wants to know now.

There is one thing the guards don’t know about our shanks is the way they are made. Whoever does the deed cuts the palm of their hand in the process. The shank is made to do most damage. If you are attacked, you can use either side in order to defend yourself.

Alex made it clear he is going to find out who carried out this and they will pay. Still no one would step forward and claim responsibility.

“You were man enough to kill one of our own, be man enough to say it was you that did it. Face us you fucking coward!”

Still no one would step forward when Alex finished. I walked around each of the guys looking at their hands. When he reached Diego, he had his hands in his pocket.

“Diego take your hands out of your pocket now!”

Diego refused. Before Diego could react, Alex pulled his hands from his pocket. Diego refused to open his fist so Alex wrestled him to the floor. Everyone moved out of the way as Alex fought Diego.

They sat there fighting for several minutes until Alex pinned Diego to the floor. I walked over and stepped on Diego’s wrist. He started to scream as I put more pressure on his wrist. Finally he opened his hands in where Alex could see his palms.

Right there in front of us are the cuts Alex is looking for. Alex just looked at Diego as he pulled him up from the floor.

“You are a dead man. You know that right? If you want to walk out of here alive, you better tell me what you did. If you do that, I might let you walk out of here and turn yourself in to the guards.”

Diego stayed quiet. He just stood there looking straight into Alex’s face. It looks like he is trying to show Alex he doesn’t fear him at all. In fact to me it looks like he is trying to show the others he should be in charge not Alex.

“Look at this guy we have to follow. He wants me to turn myself in. Instead of following our code when one of us kills the other. I did what I did last night to show how fucking weak this guy is. Who are you going to follow, him or me?”

That is all it took. Diego with his pride told everyone he killed one of our own. There are two cardinal rules that we don’t break in this gang: One is not to carry out an order, more so a killing, without the clearance of the leadership. Second, no raping anyone in the cell blocks locked up with us.”

Diego just admitted breaking one of the cardinal rules. Now he needs to pay the piper for that. Alex tossed him across the room. As he walked over to Diego, he ordered everyone to stay back.

Alex started to wail on him. Diego didn’t even have a chance to cover up. It took several guards to pull Alex off of him. Once they pulled Diego out of the dorm, Alex walked back over to the rest of us.

“From now on there isn’t to be any killing unless I give the order. Trust me I will not be giving that kind of order. In fact there isn’t going to be any kind of violence unless I clear it. I had better not find out any of you took it upon yourself to beat on anyone.”

Alex sat down waving everyone off except me and Samuel. I figured he found out who did the killing. We would be out of there. But there must be something else he needs to find out before we are able to leave.

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

“Samuel I need to know something from you. If you plan to keep your position you will tell me the truth. I know there are other guards in here that do things for us. You know what I mean by that. Diego told me so before all this happened. He didn’t know who they are.

If things go bad with Officer Jackson, I need to know who these guards are. That way I can go to them when I feel I can’t get things done with Officer Jackson. So my question to you is who are they?”

Samuel just sat there looking down. He seems to not want to give up the information I am seeking from him. I think I need to get tuff with him in order to get it. There can only be one person in charge, PERIOD.

“Look Samuel this isn’t up for discussion. Either you tell me who they are or I will remove you from your position and put someone else in it. You will make me look like a fool making the call to the higher ups to find out. If I have to do that, your ass will get a lot worse than Diego got.”

There has to be a reason why Diego didn’t tell you who they are. I need….

“You need to think for yourself. Diego kept information to himself because he wanted to take control of this gang. By you keeping all this information to yourself is all I need to get rid of you. The higher ups won’t bat an eye when I tell them why I did what I did.”

It looks to me as Samuel looked into my eyes. He is trying to read me. He is trying to see if I am going to go through with my threat or not. What is it going to take in order for these guys to understand I am in charge? I am tired of this bullshit they are giving me.

I didn’t bother asking Samuel again. He is lucky I even asked him once, let alone twice. To top it off, we don’t explain ourselves like I did. I had no choice. I grabbed the back of Samuel’s neck and threw his face into the metal table several times.

Samuel couldn’t believe I did what I did in front of the others. He needs to have integrity in order to run things, and I just took that from him. Still I need to show I am the one in charge and no one can talk back to me.

“Now Samuel, are you going to tell me what I want to know or am I going to need to rearrange your face in order to get the information I want from you?”

Samuel looked up to me placing his hands over his nose. I think I might have broken it when I pounded his face against the table a couple of times.

“Yes I will tell you everything. Just remember who is the one that is working with you and who wasn’t working with you.”

Samuel sat there telling me everything from how we move things around to all the guards that are still on the take. Officer Jackson is right about one thing, there is another guard on the take. At the same time Officer Jackson is wrong. There is more than one other officer still on the take. I figure Mr. Henderson didn’t clean up this place as thoroughly as he thought he had.

Then I started thinking maybe one or two of the officers might be on the take but not all of the names Samuel gave me. He is throwing out names to see what I am going to do with them. That is pissing me off even more as I think about it.

Just like before I pounded Samuel’s head against the table several more times. I know this dumb ass is lying to me. I need to make it clear this isn’t going to be the way things are work in here.

“You know how easy it will be for me to confirm the information you just told me? I have already spoken with my father and he told me how things are run through the system here. You are fucking lying to me. You want me to look like an ass and get caught being stupid and doing what you say is the way things are done.

I know there is no way there are that many guards on our payroll here. They get paid shit, but many have the respect of the uniform they put on every day. No you are fucking lying to me and that is it.”

I got up from the table pulling Samuel off the bench as well. I dragged him into the bathroom of the dorm. This bathroom is pretty big. Several urinals and stalls, plus one huge shower room. That is where I pulled Samuel; the shower room.

I didn’t even have to throw one punch. He broke down and told me everything he lied to me about. He gave me the other two guards on the take and the truth about how we move things through the system. The second part I already knew.

“You could have saved face by just telling me this information from the beginning. Now I have to go out there and stand up for you. I really don’t want to do that, but you already know what is going to happen if you don’t follow what I say.”

I let go of Samuel and walked out of the bathroom. I walked over to the wall the that divides the dayroom and the benches. I sat on top of it and started speaking to the others as Samuel walked over to join me on the wall.

“I don’t know how long I am in here for. If I do get pulled out of here and sent back to the other building, Samuel is in charge. Whatever he says is the law. He will not say anything unless I have given the order to do so. Trust me if he gives an order that didn’t come from me, he already knows what will happen.

As of now there isn’t any more beatings, stabbings, killings, or anything that will bring bodily harm to anyone without me giving the green light. Trust me I will not give that light so if anyone says otherwise, he’s lying.

We need to work in this system, with the system. We need to be smart. We use the system and its rules in our favor. If we keep doing what we are doing, we will lose everything. In other words we are going to run this like a business. The hacks and director are unwanted partners but partners we need. If we piss them off, they can destroy our business.”

With that I walked back to the table. I am not going to explain anymore to these guys. I don’t need to. Carlos joined me at the table waiting to see when they are going to pull us out of here.

Samuel made his way to us with the others in leadership. We sat there talking about how things are going to run from now on. I felt pretty good as we got to the end they understood everything. It also looks like Samuel got his respect by facing me and taking what I had given him. I didn’t mean for that to happen, but I am glad it did.

The doors to the dorm opened and several guards came in. They ordered us out of the dorm into the large walkway between the dorms. They made us face the wall as they searched us for any weapons before sending us to our rooms.

Carlos and I took the walk back to the other building. This time Officer Jackson isn’t among the guards escorting us back so Carlos and I didn’t say a word the whole way back. I figure Mr. Henderson and Officer Jackson heard everything.

We got a chance to go to our rooms and change if needed before returning to class. Although Carlos and I didn’t get to eat breakfast, I wanted to see Matt so badly. All I could think about as I acted in the other building is how much like the person I want to be, is Matt. I know it is going to be Matt that helps me get where I want to be.

When I walked into class, I found Matt in front of the room. He looked up at me and smiled as I smiled back at him. I gave a note to the teacher and made my way to my desk behind Matt. As we walked to our desk, we whispered I love you to each other. That confirmed to me what I am doing is worth it.

I sat down with every eyeball on me. It feels weird with everyone looking at me right now. I tried to ignore it by looking at the board to see what the assignment is. Still all morning long everyone snickered as they looked at me.

When the bell rang for lunch, I couldn’t be any happier. First, I am hungry as hell. Secondly I get to sit close to Matt and be with the guy I am falling so fast in love with. I need to talk with someone that knows what to do with these feelings I am feeling right now. I am afraid of all these emotions going through me right now.

No one at the table asked about what had happened. Carlos and I looked at each other several times as we ate. I know he is thinking the same thing I am. When are these guys going to ask about what happened?

Like every other day, after we ate we headed out to play some ball. Just as we chose our teams, a guard walked up to pull me from the game. Mr. Henderson wants to speak with me right now.

I left the guys and made my way to his office. This guard I have never seen before. I looked up to his shirt and saw the name tag. The name is one of the two names Samuel gave me earlier. He is one of the ones working with us.

Just as we entered the building, the guard pulled me into another hallway. Not the hallway going to Mr. Henderson’s office. I started to wonder what in the world is going on here. Mr. Henderson would take any chances meeting right now out of his office.

The guard opened a classroom pushing me in. He shut the door and locked it. I didn’t say a word, I held my ground. The guard pulled out his stick and hit me across the legs with it. With the force of the hit, I hit the ground.

“I don’t know who you are or what you are doing. I want to know why you needed to know the information you forced out of Sam earlier.”

“Simple answer to your question, neither Sam nor Diego is running things anymore. That decision was made by the higher ups and they placed me in charge.”

“I don’t like you or that decision. The only reason they did what they did is because you are the son of the main man. No if they want things to keep running smoothly, they will put Sam in charge not you.”

“That isn’t going to happen. So you…..”

Before I could finish my sentence, the guard started hitting me across my back and legs with the stick. I needed to stand my ground and not protect myself like most would do in the situation.

“What the hell is going on in here? Officer……….”

TO BE CONTINUED………………..

{A lot happened in this chapter you guys. I don’t really know where to start at. First let me say this: In order for Alex to stay alive he has to play along. He has to be an ass when it has to be. That’s how gangs are run. I like the Alex that is out when Matt is around. I really believe that is the true Alex.

So let’s just look at what has happened. Diego decided to kill someone that he saw as a problem. He wants to gain control of the gang again so he put together a plan in order to do so. Martin came in and almost destroyed Diego’s plan. Or did Martin through his death destroy any plan Diego had made on taking over the gang?”

Alex had to go in and clean up the mess. He needed to show who is the one running the gang in there. That included beating Diego and Samuel. Samuel for some reason, not yet explained, didn’t want Alex to know what is going on, from the other guards that are on the take to the ways things are run in there.

Then we have the love struck Alex. He is like a teddy bear whenever he is alone with Matt. I like that Alex because I really believe that is the true Alex. What I mean is, deep inside, Alex knows this is him. It is starting to look more and more that Matt is going to be the one that saves Alex from that life.

But wait a minute here, what is going on at the end of the story? A guard that is on the take didn’t like being asked about. How did he find out so quickly? Also, why is he given orders that he doesn’t like the change of leadership? The higher ups are powerful gangsters that can get anything done on the outside or in the system.

Who walked in on the guard and Alex? Is it Officer Jackson, Mr. Henderson or one of the guys like Carlos or Matt? I really hope it is Matt, but whoever it is knows the officer so that is telling me it might be Officer Jackson or Mr. Henderson.

There are so many open plots I can’t keep talking about without ruining the chapters to come and there are more plots to come. A reader wrote me asking if Jacob would ever go down and meet Alex face to face. I wasn’t going to write that in the story, but more and more as I think about it, I like it. So look forward to a visit in this story from Jacob in the chapters to come.

I don’t want to say too much and spoil the future chapters to come, so I won’t. I warn you though! Don’t skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

 

Wow, so many twists and turns! As well as I know Jacob and how his mind works, I never thought of the track this story is taking.

If I may was philosophically for a moment; I wonder if the old adage of “one rotten apple can spoil the barrel could be turned around. Could one GOOD apple result in a solid change for the good? Alex could be the good apple in the gang.

I know I sound like I’m nagging, but really just gently reminding each of you that your e-mails are Jacob’s “paycheck” for a lot of hard work. As you also saw above, your comments and suggestions DO play a part in how the story evolves. Keep it up and let us hear from each of you !

Ok, there’s the next Chapter in my queue of work, so I’m going to sign off and get busy. I’m going to find out in a minute who just walked into the scene where Alex is being beaten.

Be well and love well.
Until next time,
“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..