Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beneath the Mask - 2. Chapter 2

The next thing I knew or should say felt is Matt shaking me to get up. I had the hardest time getting to sleep last night. I kept waiting for the lights to come on every several hours for count like in County. But they never did. You could actually get a good night sleep in this place.

Also I couldn’t stop thinking about Matt. Man this guy is hot. It actually took every ounce of my strength not to jump him through the night. I will never do that to anyone especially while being in here. It isn’t my thing to force sex on anyone. If Matt swings my way I could only hope he looks at me the way I look at him.

“What man let me sleep?”

“Alex you have no choice but to get up. You need to get ready for breakfast and then class. Come on, you will get used to this in a couple of days.”

Matt pulled the covers off of me leaving me no choice but to get up. I crawled out of bed rubbing my eyes. I saw on the corner of my bed Matt set out some clothes for me. I kind had this weird tingle in my body. No one has ever set out clothes for me.

Matt talked with me while I started getting ready. Nothing notable enough to repeat here! It is almost like talking about the weather or the ending score of the football game on Sunday.

As soon as I finished getting ready we headed out to breakfast. I noticed on the way out Matt fixed my bed.

“Thanks man that is pretty cool of you doing that for me!”, I said, pointing over to my bed as we walked out!

“Don’t mention it Alex. I don’t want you getting gigged for not having your bed made. Trust me these are the few things the staff here gets fussy about if not done.”

All that kept running through my mind as we grabbed our breakfast is how cool Matt is being. I know if the tables were turned, I would probably not have done that. I am learning more and more how to be human to another. Plain and simple, respect each other and give out a helping hand when needed.

Matt led the way to the same table with the same guys. Within minutes we got through the small talk. Then guys started in about my gang life.

“Hey I was wondering if you are going to hook up with your partners in crime that are here. You don’t have to answer that question of course” one guy named Ben asked.

“No problem Ben, I will try to answer any questions you all may have. I really hope I can stay out of my old life. I know it is going to be hard and especially being here but the one good thing so far is that I have not run into any of them yet.”

“Oh you won’t unless you screw up!”

“What do you mean by that?” I asked.

“Everyone gets a clean slate when they first get here. They start out in this building. It is a lot more laid back than the other halls. We are in building A and those refuse to change or follow the rules are in the other buildings.

The other buildings don’t have anything near the freedoms we get here. They are pretty much locked down all the time. The only time they are out of their room is to eat, go to classes or assigned rec. time. Other than that, they are in their rooms the rest of the time unable to talk with others!

That is where all the gang members are. That is why we were all surprised they put you in here instead of over there. You are the leader of the major gang outside, right?”

“Well, yeah I was. But it was handed down to me from my father when he went up to prison. They select who would lead the gang on the outside. My father felt it a lot easier for his own blood to run the outside, where he can run the inside. I had the title, but don’t kid yourself, my father made all the calls. I just carried them out.”

“Wow I didn’t know it worked that way. I thought you led the gang so you are making all the decisions regarding the day to day operations of the gang.”

“Oh no, I have never made those decisions. The only time I did, I screwed it all up. That’s how I landed up in here.”

The table went quiet for a few minutes. I wanted to know if there is a chance that someone over there in the other buildings could get a message out to anyone in this building. I didn’t want to know where I could send a message, but the opposite. I didn’t want any being sent to me.

“Hey do you guys know of a time that a person in another building earns right to be in this building?”

“They could always earn a right to come back to this building, but it is rare it happens. What I mean is that they got so many chances before getting sent over there. It is rare they earn their way back to this building.”

“Ok cool Ben; I just don’t want to deal with that part of my life anymore. I need to straighten out, not only for my mom, but for myself.”

We finished eating not saying much more. The bell rang right as I was putting my tray away. I really don’t know what to do or go. So I looked over at Matt to see what to do. Just as I looked at him, He is waving me over.

“You’re in on the same class schedule as mine. I will help you through your first days here. I really hope you meant what you said at the table, Alex. I think we can become really good friends if given a chance.”

“Trust me when I said what I said at the table. There is no way I am going to prison for twenty five years. I’m not even going to chance going to the other buildings! I like the few freedoms we have here.”

With that Matt seemed happy. We headed down and up the stairs to class. All morning long it felt like regular high school. There are no guards or really any indication of being locked up. The classes are regular classes like I had at Austin High School.

At lunch I sat with the same group of guys. This time they stayed away from talking about my past. Instead we talked about the game this Sunday. There is actually a pool going on who is going to win what game. I went for my team of course, The Cowboys.

The afternoon isn’t any different then the morning classes. In fact it went faster then the morning classes. It always dragged for me that is the afternoon classes. I always wanted to get out of school. Here it is different, I don’t know why.

Matt and I went to our room to do our homework before heading to the sitting room where everyone hangs. Just as Matt and I started to walk out of the room, a guard stopped me. I haven’t met many of the guards, but this seems to be an ass.

“Mr. Garcia you will follow me, Matt you head off to where you were going!”

Matt looked at me and then to the guard.

“I need to let Alex know where to find me when you are done with him.”

As soon as Matt walked up to me, he leaned in at a whisper.

“Alex please, whatever you do, don’t say ‘no’ to this guard. Just do what ever he asks even if it seems wrong. He is going to try and break you on your first day here.”

“Thank you Matt, I will.”

Matt left me and the guard alone. I turned and just looked at him. I wanted to know this guard’s name, to know who I am dealing with. I looked up at his shirt and see he has bars on his shoulders and his name tag says T. Jackson.

“Mr. Garcia you will follow me to another part of the building. I don’t want to hear a word from you as we make our way there. If I do hear a word from you I will gig you for it. Do you understand what I am telling you?”

All I did is shake my head up and down. He said he didn’t want to hear a word from me. I don’t think that made him happy. If he wanted to be happy, he should have worded his words better.

We walked down a flight of stars to the basement of the building. By the looks of it, this part of the building hasn’t been used in years. Now it is nothing but empty rooms or storage rooms in some.

Mr. Jackson took guided the way into this room that looked like it once was the gym of this school. Before I could even get the placement in the room, the guard pushed me onto the mats in the middle of the room.

Stunned yes, but I just sat there on my butt. I didn’t want any trouble. Then I heard doors opening at the far end of the room. I looked over to see who it was. At first the figures approached me in the darkness of that room, but once they walked into the light, I knew who they were.

“Alex my man it good to see you here, we heard you were coming our way. Now we need to get you joined up with us in the other buildings.”

I got up and just looked at the members of the gang I ran on the outside. I couldn’t even make it past the second day before they reached out. These guys are what we call pistols. Like sergeants in the army. They run certain things. When you first enter into the gang you are what we call a bullet. You’re the soldier we send out to do the dirty work.

“Yeah I got myself out of going up and doing hard time.”

They came up and we shook hands. Patting each other on the back as the guard that brought me down here stood to the side. If this guard helps us out, I wonder if he knows who he just pushed to the ground.

“Man we need you here to organize and show we still have control. The blacks and Italians here think they run shit. We need to send a very clear message they are wrong.”

“I can’t make that much of a difference here or on the outside.”

“Alex man you are wrong about that. The minute the bullets heard you are here, they shaped up. They were leaving the gang like rats off a sinking ship.”

“That is on you guys not being able to keep control in here. Look I am more important on the outside then in here. I need to do my time and get back on the outside to run things.”

I hoped the lie would get them to back down. I really don’t want to be bothered by this problem right now. I need to buy time to figure out how to handle this.

“You will be receiving a letter from your father in the next couple of days. He already rearranged the leadership on the outside. You are to take control in here and soon. He sent me a kite to reach out to you.”

I couldn’t believe that my father moved this quickly already. In his eyes I am to run things in here and he doesn’t give a shit if I spend the rest of my life locked up as he and my grandpa are.

“Look man, until I get that letter I am to stay where I am as far as leadership. I have not gotten any orders from those who can give them. If I was you, get control of your own house before coming to me and giving me orders.”

They just looked at me when I said that. I needed to get out of this quick. The sooner I do, the sooner I can try and figure this crap out. I looked over at the guard letting him know this conversation is over. I still have that power when it comes to those under me.

When Mr. Jackson left me back at my dorm I went looking for Matt. He seems to know how things run in here. I found Matt just where he said he is going to be.

“Matt I need to talk with you now back in our dorm please.”

We walked back to our room as quickly as possible. When we entered the room I turned to him and started telling him what had happened. My fear has come and I need to find a way out of this. I told him everything that was discussed down below in the basement.

“Well Alex you can rest easy here. Just like in County or the prison system, our letters are read before we get them. When your father’s letter gets here it will never reach you.”

“Matt you are blind or not listening to what I’ve said. The gang I am part of is a wing off the Mexican Mafia. We don’t run by the name Mexican Mafia, we took on another when they cracked down on gangs in the prison system. But once you go into the system, you are part of the Mexican Mafia, not the wing here.

The reason I am telling you all this is because of control. The gang controls every avenue in and out of these systems with the help of the guards. These guards are true to our gang. The letter will be written in code just in case it is read by another that isn’t a supporter of the gang member’s in here.”

“I really don’t know what to tell you Alex. I have never been in this situation before or even asked about it before. I really don’t know who you could talk with or even trust when it comes down to it.”

“I do know who to talk with if I need to. Remember that I am the one that runs things so of course I know who the hook up in here. The problem I have is if I do talk with the right people, can they ensure things can be fixed or will they even trust my word?”

We just sat there looking at each other. I put Matt in a position he probably never thought he would be in. For that I am sorry, but he is the only one I can trust in this matter. Can he help me figure my way through this without getting anyone else involved?

“Look what about the director Alex? He hasn’t been around for that long. Maybe he isn’t involved in this ugly business!”

“I know for a fact the director isn’t involved. If he is, it would be as bad as it was under the other director.”

“I wasn’t here when the other director was here. I have heard rumors about him and how he allowed the gangs in here run things. It was nothing like it is now under Mr. Henderson.”

“I believe I have my answer. I need to get to Mr. Henderson without the guards finding out. That is going to be the biggest hurdle for me.”

Just as the final words left my mouth, I saw others starting to make their way to the cafeteria. I looked at the clock on the wall to see it is time for dinner. Then I looked over at Matt to see if he is ready to eat.

“Let’s go and eat dinner Alex and afterwards we will try to figure out what to do. For now please don’t mention this to anyone. I am not saying the guys at the table can’t be trusted. What I am saying is everyone in here is always trying to get in good with the guards. This is one for sure way to do that.”

No sooner after we ate, I got called to the front office. I started thinking to myself what now. With hesitation I walked over to the front to see what the guards wanted. The face I saw standing there gave me relief.

“Mr. Garcia we will give you a few private moments with your mom.”

“Thank you sir, I appreciate it!”

My mother and I walked to the visitor’s room. She had a smile on her face, but tears rolling down her cheeks I hope these are tears of joy. I don’t want to hurt my mom anymore then I already have.

“What’s wrong mom? Is everything alright?”

“Everything is alright my son! I am just glad to see you in here instead of behind bars!”

I went up to hug my mom. I didn’t want to ever let go. How I wanted to go back and fix all the mistakes I have made in the past. I know all the white hair and winkles my mom has is because of me. She has I already given up on father long ago.

“I am sorry son for taking so long on getting things for you. I needed to find out what you are allowed to have.”

“You never need to apologize to me mom, never! I am thankful for what ever you can bring me without you going without.”

We sat there talking about what she did bring and how often she could help out. Just as she finished, I saw the care in her eyes for me. She would go without so I can have things. I couldn’t believe she is still willing to do so after all of what I have put her through.

I just broke down about what had happened to day. Explaining how hard I am trying to stay away from my old life. Still though my old life keeps catching up with me, I just don’t know what to do I told my mom.

“My son, please don’t fall back into you old ways. Talk with someone you can trust about this that will do something about it. Please Alex don’t mess this up!”

My mom started crying, actually crying. I can actually see her heart break all over again. I got up and went around to her to console her. I know I have made promises in the past to stop this way of life and then I went right out and broke the promise.

I always broke my promises to my mom because of my dad. Now I see the one I should have always kept my promises to, was my mom. She actually is the only one that does care about me, not my father.

“Mom I promise, I mean this mom….” I gently touched her chin to lift her face so she could be looking straight into my eyes as I tell her.

“I mean it this time mom! I will not let you down in any way. There is no way I am going to return to that way of life. No matter what, I will find a way out of this mom, please trust me this one last time.”

She nodded her head back and forth and then grabbed me into a hug. Her crying stopped as she held onto me. Right there and then I made a promise to never again bring my mom to tears.

The guards walked in letting us know time is up. My mom kissed me handing me her necklace with a cross on it.

“Let God guide you through your darkest hours my son. Trust in Him as I have trusted in Him in my darkest hours. He has always brought me through.”

“Thank you mom and I will not let you down, or the man upstairs!”

With that my mom was guided out the front as I got handed several Wal-Mart bags. Along with those bags, I got handed a couple of duffle bags. There are just too many bags for me to carry in one trip back to my room. One of the guards helped me out.

As I approached my hall, Matt saw me. He came up to grab the bags the guard is carrying. I can tell the guard is happy to let Matt take the bags off his hands. Once we walked into the room, I threw the bags on my bed.

“I see your family brought you what you need.”

“Yeah my mom actually carried these bags in. She is a very strong willed woman. She has to be bringing up all of us without my father really around.”

Before heading to watch television, Matt helped me unpack my stuff. That is when I noticed most of the clothes are new. I can understand why my mom had to buy me new clothes. Most of my old clothes are like two or three times bigger than what I actually can be wearing. I can’t be dressing like that in here.

The rest of the evening I spent watching TV with Matt and a couple of the guys we eat with. I really didn’t pay much attention to what I was watching. I just sat there thinking that I needed to figure out a way to get myself out of this with my gang. I am locked into it until I get the letter from my father. Once that happens I can see what to do then.

I had the worst night in a long while. All night long, I had nightmares after nightmares, every one of them ending up with me betraying my mom! I kept seeing my mom’s face in tears. In the dreams no matter how hard she tried, I went back to my old ways. I can’t let this become reality.

During breakfast I didn’t say much to the guys. They are talking about the Halloween and how much fun it would be. The funny part is no one can leave the building. There isn’t going to be anything special done for this day so I don’t know how today is going to be any different than any other.

Although I was lost in my mind all day, it went by pretty fast. Before I knew it, it was last period of the day. As I looked at the clock, I breathed in a sigh of relief knowing the day is almost done and no contact by anyone from the other building. Still the dreaded letter is out there waiting to be delivered.

The bell rang releasing us from our final class. Matt walked with me as we went to check our mail boxes. At that point my heart started beating faster and I started sweating as if a water faucet got turned on. I really didn’t want to see what was in my mail box.

I looked into the box and saw a piece a paper sitting there. I didn’t want to know who this is from so I just grabbed it quickly. I stuffed it in my pockets of pants as Matt and I walked to the room to begin our homework.

“Matt when mail is delivered to us, do they take it out of the envelope?”

“No they open it and make sure there isn’t anything said or placed in the letter to do anyone harm.”

“Oh cool man that put’s me at ease at least for the moment!”

Matt just looked at me as if I was crazy. I pulled the paper I stuffed in my pockets out to see what it is. I looked down and couldn’t believe it. My mom actually put money on my books for me. She always finds ways to get her kids what they always need.

(DIEGO’S POINT OF VIEW)

After hearing what my people had to report to me last night. I got worried enough to place the call, but the call had to wait until the next evening, but it had to be made. I had hoped Alex would come to his senses in the mean time.

Mr. Jackson called me out under the pretense of me doing my community hours in the office. As before, Mr. Jackson let me into one of the teachers offices after they went home in order for me to use the phone.

Just as the door shut, the phone rang. I picked it up knowing who the call is for. I dint say a word until the caller on the other side spoke first.

“Diego what is the reason you needed to speak with me?”

“We have a problem over her Alex. Your son told my guns yesterday he is going to stay as is even after he was told about the letter directing him about the changes in positions! He doesn’t seem to want to listen to us Alex.”

“First of all Diego you will show my son the respect you show me. He is the leader of the gang over there. So whenever you speak about him, you will use is name, not your son. Second of all he doesn’t get ordered around by guns. He did right by not taking the order until he hears from me.

The letter is already on its way. He should receive in the next day or so. Until then you have that chance to clean up some of the mess you have created down there. We don’t turn control of our gangs to any other. We control it all. If another member leaves the gang, the standing order is to kill.”

The phone line went dead. Alex doesn’t listen to others except his father. It must go down that way through the family. Alex here didn’t listen to us. I really hope when he receives the letter from his father he will.

I walked back over to our dorm. In this area of the building we don’t get separate rooms. We actually have dorms that have thirty beds per room. It is set up and ran just like County or prison. We sleep, eat, and pretty much spend every waking minute in these dorms unless we are in class or doing our community hours during the day!

Getting an order from the boss, I needed to pass it on. I called for all my leaders to join me. As we sat down I told them about the standing order from higher ups. They all looked at me as if I was crazy.

“We all knew this order was coming down the pike sooner or later. I hoped we got control of this issue before it did. But we didn’t; now they are giving the orders to get control of the traitors and loss of power.”

With that I released the leaders. I held back the two that went and spoke with Alex the day before. I needed to get their feel about how they thought where Alex is going. The first thing I thought when they came and reported to me last night was that Alex has no plans to follow what his father is ordering him to do.

“I need you to tell me the truth. How did it feel when you spoke with Alex?”

They both looked at each other then back at me. Almost at the same time they started to speak. Basically they both felt that Alex is trying to get away from the orders of his father. Either he wants to hold onto the power he has because he likes it or he wants to step away from it all together.

“If he wants to step away from it all together Diego, are the standing orders for him as well?”

“For that I need clearance from the higher ups. We can’t hurt or kill one of the main without the green light from the higher ups. Until we know for sure, we can’t touch Alex if we value our lives.”

I excused the two to let me think in private. If Alex puts me into this corner, I wouldn’t like it, but I will carry it out. I value my life more then any other. I just hoping my guns read too much into what they saw yesterday. Sometimes guys get to gung ho on getting approval from their higher ups, they say things that might not be totally factual.

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

Friday makes my third day being here. I am actually more nervous here then I was in county. All my nerves are being caused by the pending letter. I know this letter is going to give me the order to take control of the gang inside here.

During lunch me and the guys am getting to know really well, played basketball. This time I didn’t eat too much that would knock me out of the game. I found myself on Matt’s team. No complaints coming from me. Well maybe one, I couldn’t rub up against him.

As soon as last period let out I headed over to check my mail. As I walked over to my mail box, I saw Mr. Jackson standing in front of mine. I ignored him as II pulled out the letters in my box. I knew one of the two is from my father.

I rushed back to room to put myself out of my misery. I sat down looking down at the two letters seeing the one on top wasn’t from my father. It has no return address on it. I moved the letter on the better to the top and there in big black letter’s Prisoner of Texas. I didn’t want to open it, but I knew I had to.

With my hands trembling as I ripped open the envelope. Pulling out the white notebook paper, I slowly unfolding the letter! Looking down at my dad’s hand writing:

Alex

Sad to say but I was looking forward to you coming up here with me and your family. I already told your mother to keep her nose out of the business of our family. She wasn’t too happy with me, but I will not allow her to mess things up with our business.

Never the less you are where you are that can still help us drum up enough business. Our business has slowed down or is being taken over by the other businessmen. These businessmen we have never had an issue with in the past. We can’t begin to have an issue with them now.

If we loose this market, it will make it even harder for us to control other markets in our system. The market we are having the most problems with right now is the most important market due to the imports from our business partners across the border.

I know you are in charge of the family business on the outside. For now since you are not going to return to that part of the business any time soon, I need you to take control of the branch where you are at. I have sent word down the line for this to happen.

I also have sent word to your assistant you have running things in your place to take complete control. As of now you are in charge of our leg of business in the lower system. This way we continue to get the flow of materials and needed items in the higher system.

I need you to take control of your leg now. You know what to do in order for that to happen. Also I need you to stop listening to others, including your mother. You are my son and you will follow in the family business as sons before you have done.

You’re Father

I just sat there looking down at the letter. I now have been given the order and must carry it out. The last thing I need right now is trouble, but I got it. I lay down on my bed to think of a way of getting out of this.

I must have dozed off because the next thing I knew is Matt shaking me to get up. As I woke, I started rubbing my eyes looking up at Matt. Matt actually is smiling down at me. I wonder how this guy could be so happy all the time. He always has a smile on him.

“Hey Alex it is dinnertime man. Get up and let’s head out to eat.”

“Thanks Matt for waking me up for dinner. I probably would have slept right through dinner.”

All Matt did is shake his head again still with the smile. We walked down and grabbed our trays of food and then sat with the same group. They were explaining to me what there is to do during the weekend. It isn’t as boring as I might have thought it would be.

As the nights before, we sat in front of the television. We watched TV this time until we were told it was almost lights out. We have to be in our rooms for count. I notice they really don’t do much counting through the day here. I figure if we tried to escape or leave, well let me put this way; it is our ass in the slammer, not theirs.

Just as I finally started to doze off, I felt someone shaking me awake. Because it is so dark in the room, I couldn’t see who is waking me up. I know it isn’t Matt because I could see him in his bed.

Once my eyes focused in I saw Mr. Jackson standing at the door, and Carlos shaking me awake. I have known Carlos since we were kids. I heard he got locked up here, but he wasn’t locked up with the rest of the guys in the other building. I thought he got released.

“Hey Alex please get up and come with me!”

I rubbed my eyes once again as I crawled out of bed. Throwing on some shorts I followed Carlos into the commons room. This time Mr. Jackson didn’t stay in the back ground. He actually stayed right in front with me and Carlos.

“Alex I know you are worried about Mr. Jackson, don’t be. I told him he can trust you.”

“Carlos how are you doing man? I was so worried about you!”

“I am doing fine. I am glad that you are here not up in the system. I wish none of us are locked up, but we must deal.”

“Yeah isn’t that the truth. Are you here on behalf of Diego and the others?”

“No believe it or not I am not. I wanted out of the gang life Alex. You have known that. You tried to warn me not to do what I did, but I didn’t listen. Now I am in here living each of my days in fear if am going to actually make out of here alive.”

“Sorry you know I have nothing to do with whatever was going in here before my arrival. I still don’t have anything to do with the stuff in here.”

“I know that Alex. I hear you are waiting for a letter from you father to give you the order. Mr. Jackson here told me the letter arrived today.”

“I thought Mr. Jackson here works for Diego and the rest.”

“I told Mr. Jackson we can trust you Alex. Please don’t prove me wrong on that. I know you don’t want to be in the gang any longer either. You are trying to get on the straight and narrow but for you it is going to be a little harder then it was for me.

Look Mr. Jackson is trying to control the influence of the gangs have in here. That is one of the jobs he was directed to do by Mr. Henderson.”

“In which way is he trying to control the gangs influence? Look even if I am trying to get out, and I am not saying I am, how do I know I can trust you and Mr. Jackson are on the straight and narrow about this? All that I know you are trying to trick me into saying something where you could get back in with Diego good graces.”

“Because Mr. Garcia I have put this together trying to control the gangs in this detention center. I can’t have them overriding everything we are trying to do here” another voice answered.

I looked around and saw Mr. Henderson walking in. I didn’t even know he was even in the building. I know for sure Mr. Henderson isn’t on the take. The reason I know that is because as far as higher ups, I know who is on the take.

“Mr. Henderson I didn’t know you were standing there.”

“No problem Mr. Garcia, I just want you know you can trust what these guys say. I have to have Mr. Jackson here look like he is on the take. That way I know what is going down before it actually does go down.

If you are trying to leave the gang life behind you, these are the guys you can trust. I need know if I can trust you. I know already the letter came today from your father. I would normally not let it go through, but I did to see what you were going to do about it. So far it looks good because you haven’t tried to make contact even after seeing Mr. Jackson walking the halls all evening.”

“Mr. Henderson I made not only a promise to myself, but my mom to get straight in here. I promised her so many things in the past and let her down each time. This time I have no plans to do that. I just don’t know how I am going to get out this alive.”

“Trust in me, Mr. Jackson and Carlos here. We will get you through this. I read the letter as it got here. The only reason I would have held it up lets me know where you stand in the leadership of the gang and your father. The wording of the letter is so well done. It wouldn’t have been held up. Can you tell us what it really means?”

I nodded my head to Mr. Henderson pulling out the letter. I grabbed it on the way out thinking I had to have it to take control with Diego when I saw Mr. Jackson. You know the first time I saw Mr. Jackson he took me down to see Diego’s guns.

I sat there explaining what each of the wordings actually meant. Mr. Henderson, Jackson and Carlos just looked at me as I explained the letter to them. I think Mr. Henderson is actually surprised I am telling him what I am.

“Look Mr. Henderson if the guys find this out, I am dead. No question about it, I am dead. I need a way to get out of this, do my time, and get out alive. After that it is on me to make through each day.”

“Ok Mr. Garcia what we are going to do here is allow you to take control of your gang in here. But I will not move you into the building with them. They are going to try to make you do whatever it takes to get you moved over there. Please don’t carry it out.

When they ask you to do it, go to Mr. Jackson. He will take care the rest as if you carried it out. If at anytime you carry out one of the orders, you will not be sent into the other buildings; I will send you into the system. That includes you keeping your hands clean and having another to do the deed.

The building is on the straight and narrow. I will not have it screwed up. At the same time I need to gain control of the gang violence and procedures in this place.”

“I have no problem with that at all. But there is a few things that need to….”

I needed to explain to Mr. Henderson in order to make this believable. What I needed from them. After I explained to him what was needed, Mr. Henderson had no problem agreeing with it.

“Mr. Garcia I promise you if you stick with the agreement we made here tonight and finish the agreement you made with the courts. You will get out of here at twenty one. If you screw me over, you will not feel freedom until you old and grey.”

“I promise Mr. Henderson not to screw you, me or my mother over. I want to get out of here at twenty one. Nothing is going to prevent that.”

A few more things were discussed. One of the items that we talked about is moving Carlos into the wing where I am. Not the same room, but in the same wing. Mr. Henderson had no problem with that either. In fact he was going to suggest the same thing before I did.

Once the final points got covered, Mr. Jackson took me back to my room. Before going in, he spoke for the first time.

“Alex I have been asked by Diego to get him a meeting with you. I plan to do that tomorrow night. Are you ready for that Alex?”

“Yes Mr. Jackson I am ready. I hope I make it through all this.”

“Please call me Tustin since we are going to be working side by side on this. I plan to get you through this to very end. Don’t worry about anything, you will be alright.”

I walked back into my room and went straight to bed. After crawling into bed, I looked over to Matt. It looks like he didn’t even wake up while I was gone. Before dozing off to sleep, I kept thinking to myself, ‘is it this easy? It just can’t be this easy.’

(MATTHEW’S POINT OF VIEW)

At first I thought I was dreaming when I heard the voices far away from me. Slowly the voices came in clearer until I opened my eyes and glanced over to Alex’s bed. I didn’t recognize the person standing over Alex, but Alex seems to know him.

Then I noticed a shadow around the door of our room. I didn’t want whoever is standing there to see that I had woken up. Through the corner of my eye I glanced over to see who it was standing there. I got a quick glance and saw it is Mr. Jackson. Something is up and now I fear for Alex.

Alex grabbed a piece of paper from his night stand and then walked out with the guy that woke him up. I waited a few seconds before crawling out of bed. I walked over to the frame of the door and glanced out. I wanted to see where they are taking Alex, but not get caught doing so,

Once I saw it was clear. I walked down the hall where they took Alex. That is when I noticed they actually took him into the commons room. Just like I did at the room a got close to the door frame in order to hear what is being said. At first I couldn’t hear a thing. They were too far in the commons room for me to hear.

I decided to take a chance and glance in. They were actually in the next room. Slowly I snuck in towards to couch to hide behind. Once I got behind the couch I was able to hear them talking. It seems this guy is a long time friend of Alex’s.

All of a sudden a voice I recognized started talking. I didn’t even have to look to see who it was talking. It is Mr. Henderson, and that means Alex isn’t in trouble. I stuck around for a few minute to make sure. Once I was sure, I headed back to the room. It wasn’t any of my business on what was being said in that room.

Shortly after I crawled back into bed, Alex returned. As soon as he walked into the room he went straight to bed. I wonder if he is even going to tell me what is going on with him, Mr. Jackson, and Mr. Henderson. I will not push him to tell me, but I would like to hope he could trust me by now.

The next morning I was the first one out of bed. Alex is still out like a log. I didn’t want to wake him, so I headed out and took a shower. When I returned Alex actually had gotten up. He looked over at me and smiled.

“Matt can you close the door for me please?”

I had no problem closing the door as I walked in. I started to wonder if he is actually going to tell me what I hoped he could trust in me to invest.

“Matt what I am going to tell you must stay between us. I mean no one can find out, or I will be killed. Do you promise you will not tell any one what I tell you?”

“Yeah Alex you can trust me with anything you have to say my friend. I will not breathe a word of what you ask me not to talk about.”

I sat down on my bed facing Alex. He looked a little very uneasy at first. Once he started talking, he seemed better. He told me about the deal he made with Mr. Henderson. How he knew the kid from last night, Carlos. And finally how Mr. Jackson isn’t a bad guard, he is working under cover to control the gangs here.

“Alex that is cool! What did I tell you about Mr. Henderson? You can trust him.”

“I know you told me that. I should have listened from the beginning. Now the only way this is going to work is me able to sell that I am still involved with the gangs.”

I sat there telling Carlos that he shouldn’t have any problems doing that. As along as Mr. Henderson and Mr. Jackson are true to their word! Alex smiled at me nodding his head as he took another letter from his night stand unopened.

(ALEJANDRO’S POINT OF VIEW)

After talking with Matt, I actually felt good. It felt like another load had been lifted off my shoulders. He is going to be a good person to have in my corner. Now I need to find out if I can have him in any other way, if you get my drift on that!

I pulled out the other letter I got yesterday without the return address on it. The letter is already open. So all I needed to do is pull it out. As I unfolded the letter, I turned it to the back to see who wrote it. I couldn’t believe my eye’s when I saw signature.

Dear Alejandro Garcia

I know we really don’t know each other, but I needed to drop you a letter to let you a few things on my mind. I really did mean what I had said in your court hearing. I am glad the judge has given you another chance at an actual life while you are young.

When all this began, I know you never meant to harm me. You have your code that you must live by. I can respect anyone that lives by a code. I may not agree with it, but I can respect it. Although what you did hurt me. At the same time you saved my life.

If I didn’t get shot that day, I would never have gone into the hospital. That stay in the hospital saved my life because they found my cancer. The cancer was so bad they couldn’t figure how I was still walking around. I now think back to it and wonder myself.

Alejandro that is the main reason I did what I did for you. You saved my life in so many ways that day. I beat the cancer and got a very good doctor out of it. You gave me another chance in life myself. I owed that to you I could help you on it.

Please Alejandro, take this chance and make something better for yourself and your life. You seem to be a great guy. You really can do anything in life if you want to. I got the means and the ability to do so. If you ever need that from someone, I will be there for you. Please whatever you do, don’t fall back into the life you have lead to this point.

I believe in you, and I know that is weird since I never really met you. But I believe in everyone I come in contact with. We became enemies for no reason at all. I would like to become friends if that is possible. Thank you for saving my life. If you ever need a helping hand, I will be there for you. Don’t give up and hope to see you in the free when you are twenty one, Alejandro.

Thank You

Jacob Hernandez

I sat there in disbelief on the letter I just read. This guy actually has heart and trust in a person he has never met in his life. Well not in the way he made the letter sound. I actually had tears rolling down my cheeks after reading the letter. This tells me so much about Jacob. Especially why he actually went to court on my behalf that day!

Matt noticed I started tearing up.

“What is up Alex, bad news of some kind?”

“No actually good news for once.”

I handed Matt the letter to let him read it. I watched as he read the letter seeing the tears starting to roll down his cheeks as well. I never could have hoped to make friends to Jacob Hernandez. He is opening the door to a friendship with me.

“This is so damn cool Alex. This guy really believes in you as a person. See there are a lot of people out there hoping you make it through this.”

“I know what you are saying and all. Just I never thought of it the way he said it in the letter. I saved his life when I shot him. He would have never gone to the hospital and found out he had cancer. So in one way I did help him out in that area.”

“There is always a silver lining around all bad things. Jacob here just told you the silver lining around his. He has forgiven you and thanked you for helping him. Now you need to forgive yourself and make it through these years.”

I know Matt is right. I also know that I can’t let anyone down now. Too many people are rooting for. I kept thinking as Matt and I walked to grab breakfast. Since it is Saturday, we get to eat later than on the weekdays.

All day I actually lazed around. Matt and the guys sat with me in the common room watching what ever came on TV. Tomorrow is going to be a better day of television because of the games. We are actually going to watch them all.

Another inmate brought in some movies. I didn’t know that you could bring movies to watch here. He showed all of us the rented movies to let us decide which one to watch first. Between breakfast, lunch and dinner, we sat there watching movies. Boy have I missed watching this kind of television. It actually felt like being home again.

(DIEGO’S POINT OF VIEW)

After handing in our dinner trays, Mr. Jackson came to pull me out of dorm. He took me to the closet of the cleaning supplies.

“Alejandro got the letter yesterday from his father. He found me as I walked in to set up a meet between you and the higher ups here. I told him the earliest this going to happen is tonight in the basement.”

“That is fine; I will get the needed personnel together.”

“Oh also he pulled back in a guy by the name of Carlos. Can we trust this guy? I can’t afford to get caught playing on this side of the pool.”

“No Carlos is cool. He is Alex’s long friend. They grew up together. I heard he was locked up in here. I just couldn’t confirm it. With both of them together we are going to get control of this place once again.”

Mr. Jackson took me back to the dorm where I called for a meeting with my Lt.. Immediately they gathered as I gave the instructions to them about what is to happen this evening. As I excused them, Sammy stayed back.

“What is up Sammy that you need to talk with me about?”

“I wonder if Alex knows that Carlos betrayed us.”

“What do you mean Carlos betrayed us Sammy? I told Mr. Jackson Carlos is cool and there isn’t anything to worry about.”

“You spoke too soon Diego. Carlos quit the gang and got placed into protection here.”

“But he didn’t say anything to the guards or the director, is that correct?”

“That is true, but the problem is he wanted to leave the gang. We have gotten our orders from above to deal swiftly with the ones that have quit this gang.”

I explained to Sammy when the meeting happens tonight we will deal with this. I think the reason now that Carlos is back involved is because Alex is here. I heard the same thing. The only difference I heard is he did speak out about us. I am going to take advantage of him being there at the meeting. Alex is going to have to take it.

Before the meeting I asked Mr. Jackson to take me to use the phone. I placed the call to Alex Sr. to see what to do here. I received my orders from him and knew what to do when the meeting occurred.

It was about eleven when Mr. Jackson came in and retrieved me and my Lt.. We made our way down to the basement where the meeting is to take place in the old gym. As we walked into the door, I noticed Alex and Carlos already arrived and are ready sitting in the leadership spots.

We walked towards Alex to start the meeting. Alex or Carlos didn’t even bother to look at us at all as we took our spots. This is pissing me off to say the least.

“Alex I want to begin……”

“Shut the fuck up Diego. When I want you to speak, I will ask you to speak. You have fucked this whole thing up here. Now I have been called in to fix your fuck ups.”

I looked around at the guys. They just looked straight ahead to Carlos and Alex. That didn’t feel good at all the way that shit talked to me. But I will need to take it for now. It will be just a matter of time for me to take back control.

“How in the hell could you guys screw this all up? With the loss of power you got here, has caused a shit load of problems up in the system.”

We sat there talking about the fallout we are having. Other members leaving the gang and the crackdown the Director has had on our business here. Alex didn’t seem fazed with it at all. In fact he seemed to think it is an easy fix.

I spoke up and told Alex this isn’t a fix that can be done overnight. We didn’t loose control overnight. I ended by telling Alex the standing order that his father has left us to carry out. He looked surprised about the order.

“For now we will do what it takes to get these members to return to the gang. With the pending doom if they didn’t, they will be dead. For now I don’t want one person killed unless you get the clearance from me.”

“Alex the clearance has be given by your father. We don’t need to get any clearance from you.”

Before I knew it, Alex was on his feet. The next thing I saw is his fist coming at me. I forgot how fast Alex is and how strong he is. Before I knew it he was on top of me hitting me several time in my chest.

Looking at me as he got up, and he didn’t look happy at all.

“Diego if you were doing the business that you were asked to do, I wouldn’t be asked to take over this part of the business. I was happy where I was. Now I have to clean the mess you created. From now on you will not make a call to my father or any higher up. I am the one you report to from now on!”

“Fuck you Alex and your rules…..”

I lunged at Carlos with the shank I had made. I had been given the green light from Alex’s father to take him out. Alex didn’t budge; instead he went into a defense mode protecting that damn traitor.

I threw the empty hand against Alex moving him out of the way, as I lunged at Carlos with the shank in my other hand. Just as I………

TO BE CONTINUED………

{Wow! What do you think happened at the end here? Did Alex get pushed out of the way and not get stabbed? If he did, will he get Carlos? Diego really doesn’t like the idea he is being taken out of power over there.

At the same time Alex doesn’t want to be in power. But he made a deal with Mr. Henderson and Mr. Jackson to take care of the business of this gang. He will be protected as long as he doesn’t cause a death. Maybe that is the reason he has a standing order not to have any other gang member killed, overriding his father’s order!

Do you think Alex is going to be strong enough to really stay clean? Then there is Matt on the side lines. There is Alex’s mother trying her best to keep her son out of the gang life once and for all. The father isn’t making it easy for her to do this.

We now learned in this chapter the real reason why Jacob did what he did for Alex. He believed if it wasn’t for Alex shooting him, he wouldn’t have known about the cancer, and is now walking around cancer free. There is always a silver lining to every dark cloud in a person’s life. You just have to look for it.

I really think what it is going to take for Alex to stay out of the gang life is a lover. I really hope he finds it either in Matt or maybe in Carlos. He has known Carlos since they were kids. I wonder if there could be more then friendship.

I don’t want to say too much and spoil the future chapters to come, so I won’t. I warn you though! Don’t skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

 

Oh DRAT! Once again I am stuck with being in the same boat as the readers with the next chapter not in queue here yet! Now, I have to wait, just like all of you!

It would seem Alex has his head on right but he’s chosen a hard path breaking away from his past and the family business. Not only is it a hard path, but dangerous also. It’s good he has some allies so soon. I hope all can be trusted.

Jacob’s letter to Alex is profound. Forgiveness is a powerful force and can be life altering in far reaching ways. To make any situation right between two people who have a problem, forgiveness is a vital first step. There can be no trust rebuilt without forgiveness being solidly in place and fully expressed.

Matt is going to be a major player in this saga. There’s still the question of whether or not he’s attracted to Alex or not. He may be just a nice guy, but yet, there’s that tension building and I sense it is a two way street. I agree with our author, Alex is going to need a love force to strengthen his resolve to make his life go in the right direction.

The mailbox has been a bit dry of late, readers. Let us know your reactions to the story and never hesitate to give us your thoughts on the plot lines and characters. Perhaps one of your ideas will make its way into the story. It has happened before! Keep those e-mails coming!

Until next time,

“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't envy Alex or Carlos having to walk the line of looking bad while trying to stay good. Thankfully between Jackson and Mr. Henderson he hopefully will stay safe. I can't believe Matt taking all this in and backing up Alex who he only met a few days ago.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..