Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Moderate profanity and mild sexual scenes are contained within this novel. 

The Lad From Castlebay Down - 17. Settling Dust

Stepping out of Troy's front door after deciding I'd better get home to face the music, a fine mist hit my face. It was cold and prickly. While we had been lying in bed with the world shut out, the weather had changed, taking on a grey and depressing feel to it. I was about to walk down the road when I felt a tug on the back of my coat.

"Think you're gonna get away from me without a goodbye kiss?" Troy asked as he swung me round to face him.

Unlike the grey skies, his smile that greeted me was warm and glowing. It made me smile back, and I lent in, allowing him to kiss me tenderly. "I'll call you," I said, pulling away.

"Be sure you do, but take your time. I know you'll have a lot on."

I smiled again, not knowing how to reply to that comment. With a gentle flick of my hand, I turned again and slowly walked down to the sidewalk at the bottom, where his picket fence showed the boundary of where his property started. Before looking back up towards him, I sighed and tried to put on my best reassuring smile. Troy waved and stayed watching me until his view was out of mine.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Placing my key in the door of my parents' house, I nudged open the stiff bastard, immediately listening for any signs of activity. Instead, the house seemed quiet as I put my whole self inside and closed the door.

"Mum… Zoe?"

"So you return," came a voice pulling my eyes to the top of the stairs.

"Sis, hi…erm…."

"You will have two questions, I imagine?"

"I do?"

"One, you will ask if I have forgiven you, and two, where is our mother?"

"Hmm, pretty good! Actually, there were three… has Leah left?"

"Answering backwards, yes, she has gone. Mum is down at the boatyard talking with her new…staff."

"And…"

"And have I forgiven you? I go through waves of differing emotion, Brother."

I raised a brow at her cryptic answer. "What does that mean?"

"It means it depends on whether I am thinking selfishly or unselfishly. On the one hand, I feel you have betrayed me because you knew how much I liked Troy, yet you said nothing. But, on the other hand, I get the impression that whatever you're going through, it must be hard, and you never said anything because you didn't wish to hurt my feelings."

I began walking up the stairs towards her. "Believe me, Zoe, it was the latter. You're my world, and… and you know I would never do anything to hurt you. Not in a million years. This thing that started with Troy and me just crept up on me and D'ya know, in my head there were so many times knew I should have said something, but I was a coward."

I put my arms out and locked her in an embrace. An act she didn't repel. "I think I just needed to hear you say that," she said, wiping her eyes. "And now I have, yes, I forgive you, but we must converse about this. I need closure, and you look like you need someone to confess your sins to."

I blew air through my lips. "You know me so well," I said, following her into her room. She closed the door, and I flumped down on her bed, pulling my knees up, so there was room for her to sit at the other end.

"I kept trying to tell myself it wasn't real," Zoe said, getting comfortable on her bed facing me. "I wondered how it could work out that my straight brother would be getting a little too friendly with a boy I liked."

"And how do you feel about… well, you know?"

"About you being gay?"

I shuddered with her words but tried to mask my uneasiness. "Yeah, I guess."

Zoe tilted her head to one side, looking like she was deep in thought. "There was a boy at school I sort of knew… Dominic, his name was. He was a year above me, so it's not like we hung out together, but I knew him through another boy. Everyone thought he was gay, and in a way, I felt sorry for him. He's the only person I ever knew was gay… or at least thought he was."

"Hmm, and why did you feel sorry for him?"

"Well, he was bullied, and I kept thinking to myself how horrible it must be… you know, to be young and gay. So then when you and Troy... well, I mean when I found out, I wondered if you would now end up going through the same thing."

I sniggered slightly, not because what she said was funny, but rather because of her innocence to the whole matter.

"Well, I am a little older than this Dominic kid, Zoe. And uh, well, you know, a school can be a melting pot of fear, hormones and naivety - not to mention a lot of prejudice. People that don't understand certain things tend to be scared of them, Sis. And with that fear comes an outlet which consists of anger and hate."

Zoe nodded. "I guess I worry you'll end up like him."

"I won't, but more to the point, how do you feel?"

"Feel?"

"Yeah, I asked you how you felt about me being gay, and you used the question to tell me about your friend at school. So I guess I really want to know how you feel?"

Zoe shrugged. "I'm still a little raw about you and Troy, but you as a gay person, I am not the slightest bothered. Brother, you look so much happier. I can see it just in your eyes. I know that missing piece of your puzzle has been found, and as your, Sister, how can I possibly be negative towards that?"

I stared at my sister, blown away by that answer she had just given me. It was like it came straight from some famous philosopher. I shook my head and kept my own reply short and straightforward.

"Really?" I asked, eyes wide and smiling. "You're good with it?"

"You sound surprised."

"Well yeah… I mean, no, but it's cool you don't hate me or anything."

"Because you're gay? Why would I?"

"Well, I dunno, like because it's not normal perhaps?"

Zoe giggled. "Corbin, Dad, would be an example of abnormality. You being gay is not a contender."

"Hmm, I wish mum saw it like that," I said, frowning.

"Give her time, my sweet. She appears old school and probably closed-minded. You have to remember in the seventeen hundreds, no one had heard of a gay person."

We both cracked up laughing before my smile faded as the sound of footsteps came up the stairs.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

After jumping off from Zoe's bed and making contact with Mum on the landing, I led her down to the lounge and closed the door. Being the intelligent one out of the two of us, Zoe stayed put, obviously realising this was talk time.

Good!

"Mum, could you stop looking out of the window and talk to me?"

She remained in her position, standing there, drumming her hands on the windowsill while I sat on the sofa, elbows on knees. "Is it a phase?" she finally asked, not turning.

I closed my eyes briefly. "I don't think so."

"Is it my fault? Did I somehow create a bad gene in you?"

"Mum! No, look, will you sit down for a moment? You're making me uncomfortable."

Suddenly she shot a glare at me, almost snarling, "I'm making YOU uncomfortable? Have you considered how I'm feeling right now?"

"Yes, all the time. I think about how everybody feels… is feeling. In fact, the only person I am neglecting right now is myself!"

Mum's expression softened, and she moved away from the window towards me.

"Why Corbin?" She asked withheld out hands before letting them drop to a slapping sound on her thighs.

"Why what? Are you asking why I'm gay?"

"Corbin, you're not gay. You don't just go from having a girlfriend and being in a heterosexual relationship to being gay. I'm sorry it's not that clear cut."

"Mum, I'm willing to discuss this and be conscious of your feelings, but can you please do the same to me? For example, will you stop telling me how I am approaching this or what it means for me?"

"I'm just saying… you seem to make it all fit so easily like this is one of those chapters in your life where one day you're straight and the new day turns you gay… a new chapter."

As mum sat down, I got up and paced the room. Up and down, up and down… I needed to be very clear about my next sentence.

I stopped, towering over her and took a deep breath. "Mum, the truth is, the more I think about this, the more I think I have always been this way."

"Nonsense, Corbin!"

"Mum! See, there you go again… stop deciding what's real for me and what's not!"

"Then explain it!"

"I'm trying; it's hard! But, look, there has always been something missing with Leah, okay?"

"Missing?"

I rolled my eyes. "Look, I've already been over this with Troy and Leah. I don't wanna go into minute detail all over again."

"Well, I'm glad to see you felt they should hear this before me."

"It wasn't like that; you're not playing fair. Hell mum, even Leah has taken this revelation better than you, and she was my fucking girlfriend."

"Do you even realise she's gone? Does it bother you? I had to run her to the train station in floods of tears."

"Mum, we're talking about me here!"

"I know, and Leah was your life for two years, and now she has gone, and you haven't even asked about her."

I blew air through my lips. "Mum, listen. Leah and I, we… we pretty much said our goodbyes already. Her going, it was… it was best for both of us. We were starting to ruin each other's lives. So we both agreed and accepted that the relationship was over, and I think she didn't wanna prolong it any more than I didn't wanna hurt her any more than I already had."

"So you just let her go without seeing her off."

"Mum, you weren't there. When she left the café we met in, I could tell on her face that she planned to come back here and go before I could see her again."

Mum shook her head before folding her arms. "Well, you obviously know best. So, something was missing, you say?"

I frowned in confusion. "Huh?"

"Earlier, you said something was missing? So what are we talking about here? Do you mean something in your relationship? Are you telling me you always knew you were gay but just had a relationship with Leah for the sake of it?"

"Oh, erm perhaps, maybe… I'm not sure. But whatever it was, it feels clearer now than it did all the time I was going out with her."

Mum shook her head before running her fingers down her face. She looked defeated. "Corbin, I won't pretend to know what you are going through right now. I also won't pretend that I am okay with this nor agreeing with whatever this is…."

She paused.

"But?" I asked, knowing there was one in there somewhere.

"But… just give me some time, okay?"

"Give you time? What does that mean?"

"It means give me some time to accept this. I have to accept you're an adult now, and I can't control your life."

"No, mum, you can't, but I want you to be okay with this. I need you to be okay with this."

"And I will; I just need some time to absorb what has happened. You also need to remember that it's not just you and your confession I'm dealing with right now, you know?"

"Dad? Yeah, I get it. It sounds strange but getting close to Troy and going onto more... well, you know; it's kinda let me escape from some of what he was like. But anyway, he's not my Dad, so it doesn't matter now.

"Hmm, well, no matter my feelings, I won't lose you too. Now, if you don't mind, I'd rather be alone for a while. Why don't you take your sister out to see her horse or something."

"Well erm… actually I wanted to go and see Troy."

"What so you can tell him how I took it?" she asked, a hint of childishness in her tone.

"I'll speak to you later, mum."

I walked out, deciding to end the conversation there and not bite at her last comment.

Back upstairs, I walked into my room, or rather the room where Leah had been staying pretty much alone since we got here. I knew she was gone for good. I also learned from looking around that her departure had been a rushed one. She'd done her best to tidy a little, but you could tell she had packed in sadness and mild anger.

Stepping over to the bed, I found a piece of ruled notepaper folded in half. It looked like someone had torn it out of a pad that had one of those curly wurly wiring things at the top. Hmm, I thought, picking it up and unfolding it. Inside was one line which read,

I did my best, Leah.

I sat down on the bed and stared at it for a moment. It was short and to the point, but its effectiveness was as she probably expected because I genuinely felt sad about our break-up for the first time.

I was determined not to dwell on it, still totally convinced we… I had made the right decision. Getting up from the bed, I pulled my spare duffle bag from the closet and started to pack a few more things to take with me to Troy's place. I had a feeling I might need to use that as my base until things were right again with mum. I had an impression that my being here too often would prevent her from finding peace about my… new lifestyle.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As I walked back towards Troy's place, I began to feel like I was turning a corner in my life. Mum had put it pretty well when she said one chapter of my life was closing and another was opening. Sure her meaning could have been a little better, but I think now I'd thought about it; she was essentially saying what was true.

With my father now off my case, Leah gone, and a sister who was on the road to forgiving me, I now only had a few more things to sort out. One, of course, was mum, but I had a feeling with time that would take care of itself, and the other was my future. I knew I wanted it to include Troy, no question, but a part of me felt suffocated in Castlebay.

Coming out to everyone made me feel like I had had wings attached to me. Wings that allowed me to soar above the bullshit that had been my life for all these years.

And yes, I wanted to fly!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I walked up the side of Troy's house and into the backyard. Before I had even come into view of his patio door, I heard it slide violently open, and Troy came running out in his bare feet.

"So?" he scoffed expectantly. "How did it go?"

"Shall we go inside?" I replied. My tone seemed almost to make him panic. I quickly smiled to reassure him, and he grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me inside.

"Tell me everything… I wanna know everything!"

"Hmm, firstly, shouldn't you be at work? You really shouldn't be taking all this time off on my account."

"Yeah yeah yeah, just tell me," he whined.

"It went okay… I think."

"You think?"

I sniggered. "Well, actually, I kind of killed two birds with one stone because I had a decent chat with Zoe, and it seems like she is cool with me… well, actually me AND you."

"Whoa, cool, and the other bird?"

"My mum? Hmm, well, right now, a fragile truce is holding, which I think is being held together by the fact that she might end up getting it."

Troy's eyes went wide. "Getting it? You mean you?"

"I think so; time will tell," I replied, sitting on one of Troy's luxurious sofas.

"Wow, that's excellent news, Corbin!"

Troy jumped all over me and kissed just about every part of my flesh that wasn't covered up with clothing.

"Hey, calm down, you remind me of a big dog on heat!"

We both giggled, and he moved to get off of me, ending up to my right, his big brown earthy eyes looking deep into my soul.

"Okay, so my turn!" Troy blurted, banging his heels against the sofa valance excitedly.

I raised a brow and pursed my lips, confused. "Huh?"

"My turn for some news," Troy repeated.

"Hmm, let me guess, you're pregnant!" I replied dryly.

"Better!"

"Erm…."

"So while you were gone, I called my Dad."

"Okay…"

"Yeah, and basically, I told him that you and I were sorts of… well seeing each other."

"Troy, am I gonna like where this goes?"

He giggled. "You might. Anyway, I asked him on that basis if you could move in here permanently, and he agreed, ain't that great?"

I tried to go into a false excited mode quickly, but Troy had already seen my delayed reaction, and so my cover was blown.

"Troy, uh…"

"You hate me… shit, I mean you… I should have discussed it with you first. Crap, look, I know, and I'm sorry I didn't… I just wanted to surprise you and-"

I started to chuckle. "TROY! Wait!"

"Sorry."

"I'm not mad, hell I'm flattered and honoured…."

"But?"

"But… but I dunno what I wanna do yet, or where I wanna be, or… Jesus, I don't even know what tomorrow is gonna bring."

"What are you talking about?"

"We're supposed to be taking this slow, remember? You said we had to take it slow, and now you're asking me to move in with you… like already?"

Troy seemed taken aback by my comments. "Corbin, if you hadn't noticed, since your Dad went spacko on you, you've been staying here anyway. All I've done is make it permanent. The sleeping arrangements will stay the same. All I have tried to do is give you a little bit of security just in case things go south with your mum… or Leah."

"Yeah, sorry… I guess I got a little freaked out there."

"Yeah, AGAIN!"

"Sorry, I…"

"Look, I get it, and so let's not go around in another circle on this. I just thought you'd be pleased. But now you got me worried."

"Why?" I asked, taking his hand in mine.

"What's all this about you don't know where you wanna be or what you wanna do? Are you having second thoughts about us? Do you still need that time to go off and find yourself?"

I buried my head in my hands and heaved a sigh. "Oh Troy, it's just Castlebay, that's all."

"What about it?"

"It's just so… so enclosed, so quiet, small and-"

"I get it. You already have some real shitty memories since being here."

"No, no, not at all. I mean… well, sure, breaking up with Leah, my Dad, mum… but fuck Troy, meeting you trumps all that. I just feel like this place is weighing me down."

"So what does that mean, you wanna leave here?"

"And give up on what might be something amazing between us? No, of course not."

"Well, then, can I make a suggestion?"

"Sure."

"Give it six months, and in that time, take a trip back to your old town. By all means, get away for a bit Corbin. Go see your friends, do what makes you happy but give this place a chance because I'm certain once the dust settles, you'll probably find it's been the events here rather than the village itself which is making you feel like this."

I nodded in agreement. Troy was right, I thought. It wasn't the village to blame for how I was feeling; it was what was going on within it. It was then and there that finally everything started to feel right. It was like the dominoes had finally stopped tumbling. Perhaps my life was here with troy. Maybe this was all fate, and fate already mapped out all these events leading up to where I was now for me. I mean, so many things had had to have fallen into place to get to this point, and to me, it just seemed a little too fucked up not to be fate.

I heaved another sigh, and just then as if something or someone was telling me everything was now gonna be okay, the low sun broke through the clouds and filled Troy's lounge in a bright deep yellow glow which warmed my face. Maybe I was meant to be here. Perhaps I had come home.

Maybe the waves that crashed into Castlebay Down had been calling me to Troy. All I needed to seal that thought was a long lingering kiss from the amazing person in the room with me.

It soon came, and I was sure that the boy from Castlebay Down was the boy for me!

The End

Copyright © 2021 James Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 34
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

UreI knew Zoe would be really intelligent about this and a loving Sister I will say that I never came across someone that speaks like she does but I find it endearing. 

Troy is the perfect person to make this transition with everything in place Troy's supportive Father Corbins supportive sister and his Mother who while she needs time is determined to understand and come around bit most of all A-hole Don out of the picture.Any smart observers of this can't help but be optimistic about their future. Well well done

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

P.S.  I wrote my last comment before reading the previous comments.  Seems like I'm not the only one who is looking for more.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter to end a great story. I'm not surprised by Zoe being so excepting. I think given time Mum will come round, Corbin needs to remember she going through her own difficulties.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Bugger, just as I was starting to enjoy the life between Corbin & Troy, the story ends, James we need a book 2 for this story.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment

An interesting ending to say the least, and a powerful statement...

Coming out to everyone made me feel like I had had wings attached to me. Wings that allowed me to soar above the bullshit that had been my life for all these years.

And yes, I wanted to fly!

@@@@

While many of your stories deal with multiple complex emotions revolving around teenage angst and broken homes, it would be nice to see another side to those who inhabit your stories such as a return to Castlebay a few years on. Where we could see the success the hard work created in forging ahead with their lives. An artist finds his muse and thrives, the boatyard launches a mini-empire and so forth.

Thanks for sharing with us!

  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..