Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 414 Words
  • 2,724 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 3. Peace

Suddenly, a young man discovers that he has a future with out the prospect of a long, bitter war.

New Holland Colony

Leonis Sector

July 20, 2556

Alex Carter was awakened by a huge ruckus. Saturdays just aren't supposed to start like that.

The noise only got worse. Different songs were playing loud on many sound systems. People were hooting, hollering and singing. Something was definitely up.

The door to his room opened, and his younger brother Sam bounded into the room and landed right on top of him.

The twelve-year-old's eyes were bright and full of mischief, "Get up, get up lazy bones! There's a huge party breaking out!"

Alex looked at his younger brother rather incredulously and growled, "What's going on?"

Sam almost sang his next words, "It's the war Alex! It's over!"

Alex gently shoved Sam out of his way and got up saying, "What are you talking about? How can it be over?"

Sam said, "Turn on your holo-vid. The news came in this morning. The Governor has signed a proclamation: it's a planetary holiday until Wednesday."

Alex grabbed his holo-vid controller and turned it to the Galactic News Network. The normally stolid news men were absolutely giddy with emotion.

The anchorman said, "Today's top headline at the top of the hour: Fleet Admiral Bassett has sent a message via STARCOM from the Pacifica system announcing an end of organized resistance as of 1200 yesterday. Moping up actions continue, but the enemy fleet has been destroyed and all the systems taken during the six year of warfare have been liberated."

"The Rim War as it has been called has been one of the bloodiest and costliest in human history with billions of casualties and two major worlds completely devastated. Admiral Bassett was sent to the war zone earlier this spring with a large, powerful Task Force in hopes of breaking the deadlock but apparently has been able to achieve an outright victory in what has been a long, painful stalemate."

"Parliament is in session at this hour, and we expect to hear from official sources soon. On many worlds throughout the Alliance, now is a time for celebration and reflection."

Alex was stunned. Until this morning, he had always known that he was going to join the fleet and face the uncertainties of a bloody, vicious war. He now had a future without the prospect of death in hard vacuum.

He stood up and put his arm around his little brother's neck and said, "Let's party!"

He could think about the future when he sobered up.

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..