Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 418 Words
  • 2,975 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 6. Time Warp

What would you do if you had the chance to go back and fix a terrible mistake?

What the...

I got up from the floor. What happened to my flat screen? What is George H. W. Bush senior and Dukakis doing on my television?

I looked around the room, and it was familiar but... a VCR! A CRT television set? I haven't even seen either of those in years.

I picked up the antique TV remote and changed the channel.

Jesus... that was what, 1988? I reach down and pick up the newspaper and read the headlines: Presidential Debates Tonight. Looking at the banner of the paper, I read Oct. 13, 1988.

My head was spinning. What the hell is happening?

My phone rang, and I picked it up, "Hello?"

I was confronted by a voice from my past. "Hi James. What are you doing? Listening to the debates?"

I stuttered, "Aaron?"

I heard him sigh over the phone. "Of course."

"Sorry. I was more than half-asleep when you called. Can you come over?"

He sighed again. "I don't have the car."

"Meet me at the park."

I hadn't seen Aaron in decades. In fact, it's October! I can stop it. I won't lose him this time.

I left my old duplex apartment and shut the door. My neighbor was there on his porch smoking a joint. "Hi Jax. What's up."

Jax was as near naked as usual wearing noting but cut off blue jean shorts. He was deeply tanned as he worked as a roofer.

He looked up and waved as I got in my 280Z.

My radio was tuned to a rock station that would eventually devolve into rap.

Guns and Roses were belting out Sweet Child of Mine.

It was a short drive to the park. Aaron was waiting. Seeing him again after all this time hit me like a ton of bricks. He smiled as he saw me. When I pulled up, he popped open the passenger door and hopped in the seat beside me. All was right with the world again.

We drove for twenty minutes out of town to a house we used for our rendezvous. It was sitting empty waiting for sale and I made $40 a week keeping the grass cut and the yard presentable. I drove up the driveway and parked in the big carport behind the two-story house. If it were just a little warmer we would have probably jumped in the pool.

We went inside and upstairs to the bedroom. Aaron was beside me and this time I would get it right.

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice opening, it could go anywhere. I recently read Do Over by DK,

and it was excellent. The narrator went back to the 80's also...

going down memory lane, -with a big twist.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sometimes we all wish we could 'turn back the clock', now I'm curious as to how things changed for James and Aaron.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

       I would not want to change anything. While there were unpleasant experiences, I really like where I am right now. It is not healthy living in the past.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..