Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 921 Words
  • 3,124 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 4. The Legacy

A young man comes of age and discovers that there is much more to his bloodline than he ever imagined.
(Winks at Ray)

The Legacy

 

The Curio Shoppe on McArthur Boulevard had been there as long as anyone could remember. The old man who ran it lived in an apartment on the top floor of the building.

It was a regular stop for Caleb Williams who had going there since junior high. Now on his 21st birthday he was home from college with a couple of friends and making the rounds in the town.

When he pulled up to the shop, his friends gave him a look.

He shrugged and said, "Give it a look. I think you'll be surprised."

When they entered the store, a bell on the front door announced their entry.

As soon as they were inside, there was a hiss of astonishment from Rick and Joe actually whistled.

In the front of the store there were rows and rows of chest high bookshelves that were filled with old books of all sorts.

Exquisite antique furniture was displayed in the space behind the bookshelves.

Magnificent paintings, coat of arms and wall hanging of all sorts filled the wall spaces.

The old man who ran the place was napping behind the cash register.

Caleb approached him and said, "Good afternoon Mr. Jenkins."

The old man opened his eyes and said, "Caleb! Good to see you laddie. It has been a while."

Caleb nodded and said, "I'm home for my birthday, and I'm showing some friends around."

The old fellow grinned and said, "I'm glad you brought them by."

Rick said, "This place is magnificent. The stuff in here must be worth a fortune."

Mr. Jenkins stood up and dusted off his apron. He said, "Everything here is absolutely authentic. The Armoire over there is pre-revolution. That table is original Queen Anne."

Joe said, "Pre-Revolution?"

Mr. Jenkins said, "That would be the French Revolution-before 1789."

Joe began looking through the bookshelves and said, "Oh my God! Is this...?"

Jenkins grinned and said, "Origin of the Species-1st Edition. It's one of the few that escaped the book burners."

Caleb said, "I told you this place is spectacular."

Jenkins said, "I am a great lover of history and I like to think of myself as a torch-bearer."

Rick asked, "Torch bearer?"

Jenkins laughed and said, "The torch of civilization. History has given us all so much. The more you study it the more amazing it really all is. Too many people have a perspective that starts with their birth, and they don't really care what happens when they are gone. Our civilization is an inheritance bequeathed to us by a long line of men who actually tried to build a better world. If I can share this perspective..."

Caleb said, "You should hear the stories of the pieces that he has in here. Tell us about the Suit of Armor standing back here."

Jenkins got a far away look in his eye and said, "That piece is proper plate mail made for the Marquis of Lyon in 1567 by the grand master armorer Francois Lebeau of Paris. It wasn't completed before the Marquis death and was taken by his son. It was never on the field and was part of the estate until it was moved to Switzerland in 1940 when France was occupied by the Nazis. It passed through seven owners until I got it in 1970."

Rick asked, "How much is it worth?"

Jenkins grinned and said, "It is priceless. Its equal can be found nowhere except for a few museums. I've never seen better."

Caleb said, "Some things just aren't for sale. One's heritage is priceless."

Jenkins grinned and said, "Well-said Caleb, well said."

Rick asked, "There has to be a value for insurance purposes."

Jenkins nodded and said, "Yes, there is a valuation of my collection on file with Loyld's of London. They are the only insurer who would do it justice but... I'd rather not talk money."

Joe said, "Rick, come here-you've got to see this!"

Rick grinned and excused himself.

Jenkins said, "Caleb, unless I miss my guess, this is your 21st birthday?"

Caleb nodded, and he said, "Come back here, there's something that I have to show you."

Jenkins went back to the jewelry case and went behind the counter.

He opened a jeweled box and pulled out a ring. "Many years ago I served your father..."

Caleb exclaimed, "You knew my father?"

The shock struck him deep. His mother and her family had always said don't ask whenever he asked about his father. They had said that when he was old enough that he would be told.

Jenkins's expression grew pained, and he said, "I served his house for most of my life and continue to do so. You are now of age, and it is time for you to come into your own."

"Your father had many enemies. He was hunted for many years and finally killed when you were very young. We placed you here far away from prying eyes to allow you to grow up safely. It is time for you to take your name."

Jenkins handed him a signet ring and put it on his hand: it was gold with an inlaid coat of arms with a double-headed eagle.

The old man said in a quavering voice, "This is your heritage Alexander Romanov, Duke of Moscow, Marquis of Kiev, Count of the Black Sea and Earl of Saint Petersburg. You are the true Czar of the Russian Empire and if by life or death, I would serve your majesty."

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

These usually refer to Anastasia as a survivor. Nice twist. Steve Berry wrote the Romanov Prophecy or something like that - you should check it out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wow, what started as a cute short brought goose bumps at the end, that's a good writing skill, nicely done I like it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..