Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 477 Words
  • 2,146 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 7. New Worlds

Earth's first interstellar expedition arrives at Alpha Centuri.

UN Deep Space Exploration Vessel Horizon

Alpha Centauri Star System

20 June 2120

 

“Somehow, I just never expected this.”

"Oh suck it up MacKinnon. We've been asleep for thirty years. You're just going to have to embrace the suck for a while."

MacKinnon raised her head from the sleeper chamber and said, "Garrison. You're still alive. Damn."

There were several guffaws and chuckles from around the sleeper compartment.

Morrison, the mission science officer said, "They said waking up would be like the worst hangover ever."

Somebody else groaned and said, "I'll never drink again."

MacKinnon sat up. Her body objected, and her head ached, but she managed to put her feet over the side of the crypt-like container. Across the aisle was a locker. She opened it and took the robe out. Very hesitantly, she stood and put it on.

She said, "OK Garrison. I've got my feet on the deck. Be a good engineer and see to my ship."

"Aye-Aye sir."

 

MacKinnon wobbled on to her stateroom. She took a shower, and it had the desired effect of helping her gather her wits. She dried off and dressed in her utility grays and found that her appetite had also awakened.

She wasn't the first person to arrive in the galley. Morrison and Raines were already there. Morrison already had a computer pad out and was going over the data that the ship's sensors had gathered as the Horizon had entered the system.

As she placed a ration pack into the microwave, she said, "What have you got Morrison?"

He looked up from his computer pad and said, "It's spectacular Captain. The two primary stars are in a tight binary and Proxima rotates way, way out-almost a half light-year. We've got eighteen planets and forty-four moons so far. Five or six of them are in the green-zone. All of those have atmospheres and three have hydrospheres."

MacKinnon raised an eyebrow as Morrison put the star systems data up on a screen on the galley wall. She looked at the planets in the so called green-zone. Two of the planets were inviting shades of blue and green.

Stunned, she asked, "Life?"

Morrison said, "At least plant life on two of them. Maybe four. We're still too far out to get a good look."

Raines said, "The star system is huge. Because the two primaries are a binary, the planets orbits are much, much longer than our own solar system. These two planets have an orbital period of thirty-two and forty-six years. We're looking at ecosystems that have seasons that last decades."

MacKinnon sat down with her ration pack and said, "Nine people with two years to explore a system this big?"

Farrow entered the galley and said, "We'll have a lot of help from our drones Captain. It looks like we're going to need it."

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I enjoy reading about anything you write. Some of these little stories

could be expanded, -this one in particular.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/13/2015 06:02 AM, Stephen said:
I enjoy reading about anything you write. Some of these little stories

could be expanded, -this one in particular.

Thanks! It's fun to do these when I've got time. I only put my "Best of" in this collection.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..