Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 290 Words
  • 204 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 49. Making the Team

Every FNG has to make the team, one way or another.

Making the Team

 

"This is the last time I'm going to trust you with being the lookout."

"What's my next job? Poison taster?"

"I needed a diversion and you were it. Thanks to you, we accomplished the mission, and everybody lived. Congratulations."

Starch stood still as a statue while Top's[1] revelation made its way through his brain. The living part was a near thing. He had dozens of small cuts from rock fragments caused by near misses from automatic weapons fire.

He eventually said, "Is it because I'm the FNG[2]?"

Top grinned and said, "We had to see what you could do."

The door of the basement the platoon was using for an office opened, and Lt. Wilder entered the room with his posse from Alpha platoon.

Top stood and came to attention.

The LT[3] said, "Oh, sit down Top. Is this the wild man who got the Tangos[4] looking the wrong way?"

Top nodded.

The LT said, "You did good, Lance[5]."

"Sir, I'm just a private.

"Not anymore. You passed your audition. Welcome to Wilder's Wild Men."

Starch objected, "But sir, I screwed up."

"You didn't screw up. You hosed the tree line full of Tangos with a couple of magazines, your full load out of M203 grenades, and made enough noise for a whole squad. You improvised in a loud, proficient military manner."

Top added, "That's why I said I'm not putting you on lookout again. You're too noisy."

 

__________________________________

1 - Top is short for Top Sergeant or senior NCO in a platoon.

2 - FNG == F-ing New Guy

3 - LT == Lieutenant

4 - Tangos == terrorists or extremists

5 - Lance == Lance Corporal, the lowest Non-Commissioned Officer rank.

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..