Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 465 Words
  • 3,844 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Get Into James Shorts - 2. We Will Be Free Again

Eighty-eight and Seventy-two have responsibilities that they never thought that they would have.

Eighty-eight handed the younger man a smoke. “Since when do I have to tell you everything?”

"Don't you think it's a good idea? I mean we will end up tripping over each other unless we coordinate our efforts."

Eighty-eight was silent so long that Seventy-two began to worry. Finally, he said, "You're right. It's just in this business..."

Seventy-two laughed, "our secrets keep us alive?"

Eighty-eight sighed and said, "Something like that. I don't have anything major planned for the next couple of months. I've got my people training and getting materials in place."

"The orders for my cell are to do surveillance and intelligence gathering, but I'm worried. The new district commander they sent is a real asshole. I'm afraid that one of my guys is going to go off the reservation and take a shot at him."

Eighty-eight stiffened and said, "That would be a huge mistake. If anyone gets popped at this stage, your whole cell could get rolled up."

"That's what I keep telling them. They're restless. They want action. All of these spy games don't seem to be getting the job done."

Eighty-eight asked, "Have you ever read Sun-Tzu?"

Seventy-two grinned and said, "No. Before all this happened, I was a line-man for the phone company."

"Sun-Tzu was a General in ancient China. He wrote a book about strategy that soldiers have been reading for a couple of thousand years now. He said to pretend inferiority and encourage your enemy's arrogance."

Seventy-two said, "That's not hard to do. Our people are hurting boss. They're mad, feel betrayed, and they are ready to lash out."

"Think about this Seventy-two- these troops are United Nations. They were invited in by an administration that was responsible for an economic collapse and was in the process of being removed by Congress when they declared martial law and brought in the UN to restore order. What we plan to do is not typical of an insurgency. Our plan is to hit them all at once everywhere and, once we start, we aren't going to stop."

"Shock and awe?"

"Something like that. Look at it this way. The troops here are from all over the world. They are used to bullying civilians, not fighting veteran soldiers on their home ground. Once they start going home in body bags, they will not be all that enthusiastic about sending more into a meat grinder."

Seventy-two flicked his cigarette butt into the fire they were standing by. He said, "OK. I'll keep my people on a leash. I'll help you put these bastards to sleep, and then we cut their f*cking throats."

Eighty-eight nodded and said, "You're getting it. It's going to get ugly. We will lose a shitload of people, but we will be free again."

Copyright © 2017 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This sends my mind into overdrive imagining all kinds of scenarios where the scene could be real, mind boggling.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Reminds me of a lesson I got from a Star Trek TNG episode of all places: one people's terrorist is another people's freedom fighter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..