Jump to content
    jian_sierra
  • Author
  • 2,287 Words
  • 4,226 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Subtle Beauty - 11. Chapter 11

Hey guys, it's been a while. As I've already spent most of yesterday trying to decide whether to post this or not, I've posted it here today just so I won't have to think about it anymore. The good news is, I'll finish this story no matter what. So here's another chapter in the life of Coop...

 

What are you boys doing? Grandpa's words rang in my ears.

 

I wanted to look away from Grandpa but couldn’t. His eyes—so much like Mich’s, yet I gazed at them in a different way. When I peered at Mich’s eyes, I longed to know what was going on in his head. With Grandpa, right now, I really didn’t want to know. Something about them freaked me out.

 

Briefly, my gaze moved toward Mich. His head was lowered—ashamed at being caught? Look up, look at me. My heart sank lower when he didn’t. I felt horrible, worse than the day my Mom caught me trying out a cigarette. What do I do?

 

Grandpa’s eyes focused on me and I caught my breath. Do something. What? Anything. Any idea? None, but you have to do something.

 

I swallowed. My mouth tasted bitter. Swallowed again. Opened my mouth. Gulped. Fluttered my eyelids to clear the tears that were forming. Took a deep breath...

 

“Grandpa, I’m sorry.”

 

Mich sighed. Grandpa kept his eyes on me. I wished he’d say something. At the very least, move. Or breathe.

 

“I’m sorry,” I repeated. “This is all my fault. Mich is not what you think he is. I—I seduced him, forced him. Please don’t be mad at him. I’m to blame.” The more I talked, the more I believed what I said. I’m to blame.

 

“Coop, please, stop talking.” He wiped away my tears with the back of his hand. I didn’t even realize that I was crying. It lessened the hurt I felt, so I let it flow. This is it. At least I had him for a while.

 

Gently, I took hold of Mich’s arm and distanced it from my face. I wished to hold him longer, wrap my arms around him for the last time. But that would only make things worse.

 

“I’m really sorry for... for everything. Don’t worry Grandpa, this will be the last you’ll see of me. I promise I’ll keep away from Mich if you promise not to be mad at him. He’s a good grandson.” I blinked the remaining tears from my eyes.

 

When I opened my eyes, Grandpa had me on a tight embrace. Mich looked at me with disbelief in his eyes. Okay, what’s going on?

 

“Are you ok now?” Grandpa asked.

 

“Yeah, I mean yes. I have to get going though, the bus is crowded at this time of day. Sorry for all the trouble, Grandpa, really I am. Please don’t think less of Mich. Blame everything on me.” Grandpa hugged me tighter.

 

“Cooper, I’m sorry for putting you through that. I am but an old man and because of my age, I sometimes think I know better. You might think me cruel, and I don’t blame you. Though my way was questionable, I wanted you to face the reality that not all people will understand what you and Michael are getting yourselves into. But more importantly, I want you to know that I understand.” His voice was kind and soothing.

 

My tears started again and flowed on to Grandpa’s shirt but he didn’t seem to mind. He held me, tapped my back and whispered in my ears. It’s ok. Just let it out. Not your fault Cooper. Grandpa understands.

 

“Mind if I take it from here?”

 

Grandpa had a comforting smile for me when Mich took his place. My tears flowed down his naked back. Naked? Fuck. I pushed him off of me. Hard.

 

“What?” he asked in a confused voice. His expression was that of a guy who had just been slapped in the face.

 

I wiped my wrist against my face. My face warmed up. “You’re, um, naked.” I kept my head low to avoid his gaze.

 

“So? In case you don’t notice, you’re half-naked too.”

 

My eyes moved to my un-clothed torso. Oh yeah, forgot about that. My cheeks turned warmer.

 

Grandpa laughed. “If only you two can see yourselves.”

 

I looked at Mich and a red tinge lined his cheeks. My lips formed into a smile which was mirrored in Mich’s face a second later.

 

“That’s better,” Grandpa commented. After a pause, “Feeling better now, Cooper?”

 

“I’m fine.” No tears. Smiling. Yep, definitely fine. “I made a fool of myself, didn’t I? I’m nothing more than a huge crybaby.”

 

“That you are.” Mich’s gaze dared me to say something. I wanted to, but decided against it. No one asked for your opinion, you big meanie.

 

“I’m happy that you two are finally together. You are together, right?” Grandpa eyed me then Mich.

 

“Of course,” Mich said proudly. He wrapped his hand around mine as if to prove the fact. My heart thumped hard against my ribcage.

 

“Good. I knew you liked each other before you two even realized it. The hard part was making Michael here feel that I’m ok with it without telling him upfront. I felt that it would scare the hell out of him if I said it aloud. Then one night, a sobbing Michael approached me. Through all the tears, he kept saying ‘sorry.’ I don’t know how he got it in his head that I would love him less just because he likes another guy.”

 

With a straight face, I looked at Mich’s face. Who’s the crybaby now, crybaby?

 

Grandpa continued. “I’m glad he got the courage to finally tell you. I kept telling him he should. That he’ll never know for sure how you feel if he won’t say anything.”

 

“Actually, I was the one who made the first move. I told him I like him.” Would it be childish to stick my tongue out at him?

 

“Ah, well, I had a feeling you did. My grandson is not very brave sometimes.” He winked at me.

 

Mich moved his head from side to side. “You’re being nice to Coop, because you made him cry earlier.”

 

“If I remember correctly, you didn’t make any move to stop him.” I voiced out my earlier sentiment.

 

Mich studied my face, and his eyes became melancholic. “I’m sorry, Coop. Grandpa made me. Said it’s for your own good. You’ve kept it all here,” he placed his palm against my left chest, “all the confusion, fear, doubts. Unlike me, you didn’t have anyone to talk to about your... feelings.”

 

His warm hand felt good against my skin. Did he notice the change in my heartbeat? I bet he did. I wonder what he’s thinking, knowing that he has this effect on me.

 

His words rang true, though. I wished I could talk to someone about my feelings, anyone. Even Vern?

 

“I’m here,” Mich offered.

 

Anyone but Mich, I corrected myself. If I told him how I felt, he might misunderstand. I—I don’t want to scare him away.

 

“You can talk to me. I want you to be happy Cooper. I mean it. You’re a good kid who deserves happiness.” Grandpa patted my shoulder.

 

“Thanks.” A huge smile appeared on my lips, a smile I knew would be hard to get rid of. Not that I wanted to.

 

“You’re welcome.” He ruffled my hair. “I’m going in to prepare dinner. But before I go, I feel the need to remind you guys to be safe.”

 

“Grandpa!” Mich protested.

 

Safe? Why should we be safe? Is this not a good neighborhood for... couples like us? Unless—oh.

 

“Grandpa we’re not going to do that.”

 

“We’re not?” Mich’s eyes were questioning.

 

“Shut up, Mich. Just shut up.” I covered my face with my hands.

 

“I’ll leave you two to sort out that particular detail,” Grandpa said in an amused voice.

 

“He’s gone, Coop. He was just making fun of us. You can come out from your hiding place.” He made an amused sound. “Not that you’re well hidden.”

 

“Coop, your face. It’s all red.”

 

Kudos for pointing the obvious. Why did he think I covered my face? “Can we take a bath so we can finally change? It’s getting chilly.”

 

“Together?”

 

Like grandfather, like grandson. I ignored him and marched my way inside.

 

“Oh yeah, baby, work it,” Mich called after me.

 

***********************

 

“Where are we going?” I sat next to Mich inside his car.

 

“No matter how many times you ask, the answer’s still the same. It’s a secret. Why don’t you just relax and enjoy the scenery. And stop fidgeting.”

 

“Well if you answer the question then I wouldn’t have to repeat it, do I? And I’m not fidgeting.” I couldn’t hide the irritation in my voice.

 

“Sure, whatever you say.”

 

I spied him glancing sideways at me. “What?”

 

“You look good,” he said with a smile.

 

“Why don’t you just keep your eyes on the road? Can you do that? Concentrate on driving so we can get to wherever it is you’re taking us faster.” Discreetly, I straightened the shirt I had on.

 

“Saw that.”

 

Busted. “Thought I told you to keep your eyes on the road?”

 

“For your information, you’re not the boss of me, so you can’t tell me what to do. And... you look so damn hot.”

 

Did he just say what I think he said? “I don’t,” I whispered.

 

“Trust me, you do.”

 

I couldn’t place whether he was playing or not. His voice made me self conscious though.

 

“Hey, Coop, I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable.” He patted my thigh. “You really do look good. Your clothes fit you perfectly. And did you do something with your hair?”

 

I blushed. “Vern did. She gave me these clothes as a gift about a couple of months ago. I thought they’re too flashy for school.”

 

“Vern made me wear them today,” I continued when he didn’t say anything.

 

“You must remind me to thank her.”

 

I laughed. “I think she was more than willing to give me a makeover. My scalp still hurts from all the brushing.”

 

“Why do you hide the fact that you’re good looking?” Mich asked out of nowhere.

 

“Easy,” I shifted my position so I could look at him better, “because I’m not.”

 

“We both know that’s not true.” He glanced at me briefly.

 

“That’s where you’re wrong.”

 

A sigh escaped his lips. “Isn’t the whole point of dating to get to know the other person better?”

 

Oh, great. He’s going to use logic to make me talk. “Yeah.”

 

“Then?”

 

“If you’re not gonna talk then what’s the point of us dating?” he added when I said nothing.

 

I knew he’d resort to that. “Ok. Fine. You win.”

 

“So?” Mich prompted.

 

An idea formed in my head. Trying not to smile, I said, “I’ll tell you, but you have to tell me something about yourself first.”

 

“Not fair. I asked you first.” His face darkened.

 

“Stop the car, so I can get out.” My voice was threatening.

 

“What? Tell me you’re joking Coop.” He looked dubiously my way.

 

“You’re putting me on the spot here, have you considered that?”

 

He bit his lower lip. “Ok, I’m sorry. Ask whatever you want.”

 

Without a moment’s hesitation, I asked, “Where are your parents?”

 

The car swerved to the right, but Mich had it under control immediately. His lips were pressed together. The look on his face said it all. I wasn’t making a very good impression on our first date.

 

“We’re here.”

 

Mich kept his gaze away from me. He got out of the car without saying anything. Through the rearview mirror, I saw him take a basket and blanket from the trunk. Not knowing what to do, I stayed in the car. I saw him walking away through the side mirror.

 

Who in their right mind would deliberately offend their date? Great. Awesome. Perfect. Wish aliens would come and abduct me right now.

 

I jumped from my seat when someone—or something—knocked on the window.

 

“Are you going to stay there all day?” Mich opened the door and I eased out.

 

I let him walk in front of me. He walked without looking back. His stride was normal though a bit distracted. To keep myself from thinking about how much I was messing up our date, I busied myself from studying how fine the sand was. I bet it would feel warm against my feet. Why the heck did I wear sneakers? Mich wore sandals. The lapping of the waves against the shore sounded peaceful. I realized that there was no one else in the beach except us before I bumped against Mich.

 

“Sorry,” I said.

 

“No harm done. Just watch where you’re going,” he teased halfheartedly.

 

“No, I’m sorry for my question earlier.”

 

Mich set down the basket and gently laid the blanket in the sand. “Sit down. Oh and you might want to remove your sneakers, the sand feels great.”

 

Instead of sitting, Mich laid down. “My parents are not here.”

 

“Oh, I see. That’s why I haven’t seen them. Where are they? In another state? Another country? How often do they come home?” I chanced a look at Mich. My eyebrows creased when I saw his forlorn face. “What’s wrong, Mich?”

 

“My parents... they’re... dead...”

Thanks for reading. A review would be greatly appreciated (but not really required).
2011 jian_sierra; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

YES!!! YES!!! YESSS! **does a Happy dance**

 

<br> I was so so happy! :) :) Grandpa s just grand! :D :D :D Coop's shaky as ever, but how is it that he talks so much with Mitch :P ? please please done make us wait so long between chapters! :) :)

Link to comment
On 02/22/2011 06:36 PM, Frostina said:
YES!!! YES!!! YESSS! **does a Happy dance**

 

<br> I was so so happy! :) :) Grandpa s just grand! :D :D :D Coop's shaky as ever, but how is it that he talks so much with Mitch :P ? please please done make us wait so long between chapters! :) :)

Sorry for making you wait. I'm dealing with some insecurities right now which makes me doubt a lot of things. But I'm glad you seem to like this chapter. I wasn't entirely sure about posting it :) Thanks for reviewing.
Link to comment

YAY a new chappy! I almost fell off my seat in excitement :D

 

I'm so glad Coop and Mich are together now :) but poor Mich with his parents, I hope Coop can help Mich through it because it seems as though Mich hasnt come to terms with it.

 

More more more please! :D (uses puppy dog eyes) :)

Link to comment

GRRRR :angry: another cliff hanger...

 

Other than that, I want to read the next chapter!!! :D This chapter and the previous one makes me so happy :mellow:

Link to comment
On 02/23/2011 12:41 AM, Agaith said:
YAY a new chappy! I almost fell off my seat in excitement :D

 

I'm so glad Coop and Mich are together now :) but poor Mich with his parents, I hope Coop can help Mich through it because it seems as though Mich hasnt come to terms with it.

 

More more more please! :D (uses puppy dog eyes) :)

Hey Agaith,Thanks for the review. I'm glad Coop and Mich are together too. Hope they can help each other.As for more, well I'll try to write or at least pretend that what I do is write :P
Link to comment
On 02/23/2011 01:34 AM, Leicht said:
GRRRR :angry: another cliff hanger...

 

Other than that, I want to read the next chapter!!! :D This chapter and the previous one makes me so happy :mellow:

Hey Leicht sorry for the constant cliffhangers. Sadly, there's more to come :(As for the next chapter, I hope it's soon :) Thanks for the review :D
Link to comment

Way to go Grandpa! And Hugs for Mich... Omy, you have made my morning and my night and likely tomorrow morning as well... I need to go to sleep now. I just want to say... I love this story! It is perfect. I just don't want the posted chapters to end and then wait for new ones :(

 

How often do you post them? Weekly? Girl can hope :)

Link to comment
On 04/02/2011 10:45 AM, Marzipan said:
Way to go Grandpa! And Hugs for Mich... Omy, you have made my morning and my night and likely tomorrow morning as well... I need to go to sleep now. I just want to say... I love this story! It is perfect. I just don't want the posted chapters to end and then wait for new ones :(

 

How often do you post them? Weekly? Girl can hope :)

Well I try to post them once a week. Unless I get lazy (which is often) and decide to write something else. Thanks for reading, very much appreciated.
Link to comment
Guest cogito_ergo_sum1666

Posted

11 chapters for today lol. so far so good u got me here again. nice plot and i love how its turning so far. i usually dont like reading stories that are still in process thats why i tried to avoid this lmao so pls keep writing *pleads* and *keeps reading* . . . .

Link to comment
On 06/25/2011 07:54 AM, cogito_ergo_sum1666 said:
11 chapters for today lol. so far so good u got me here again. nice plot and i love how its turning so far. i usually dont like reading stories that are still in process thats why i tried to avoid this lmao so pls keep writing *pleads* and *keeps reading* . . . .
Erm I do try to post a chapter every week (emphasis on the word 'try'). Glad you're enjoying the story. And thanks for leaving a review :)
Link to comment

ahh I just wanted to yell at Cooper, I thought he was reading the atmosphere about how uncomfortable the topic of Mich's parents made him.

Link to comment
On 10/24/2011 09:57 PM, intune said:
ahh I just wanted to yell at Cooper, I thought he was reading the atmosphere about how uncomfortable the topic of Mich's parents made him.
Hehe Coop can be dense sometimes.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..