Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 1,705 Words
  • 4,095 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Under My Skin - 4. Part I, chapter 4

- IV -

 

The next day I felt beyond weird. I couldn’t believe the amazing feeling of freedom that kept washing over me in sweet, almost nauseating waves. Christy and I walked home after school, and when we got to the front door of my house, I stopped and took a deep breath. I stood still for almost five minutes, trying to calm myself down, but my hands kept shaking every time I would think of my father. Today he wasn’t home and I was beyond grateful for that.

“Okay, come on,” I breathed finally and Christy nodded.

I turned the doorknob and frowned. The door was locked. My mother never locked the door before. I almost rang the bell, but then remembered that I still had my keys. I started looking for them.

“Wouldn’t surprise me if he changed the locks,” I muttered, and finally found my keys.

The key worked just fine and I opened the door. We walked in and I froze when I saw my mother. She was sitting in the big chair in the living room, her face puffy, her left cheekbone swollen. She was holding a short glass.

“What happened to you?” I asked softly, and she gave me a small smile.

“Your father got upset,” she said, her speech slurry.

“Are you drinking?!” I asked in disbelief and she laughed bitterly.

“No,” she said and hiccupped.

“Good God...” I muttered.

This was unbelievable. My mother drinking alcohol? It was almost as unreal as me falling in love with Alex. I shook my head.

“Whatever...” I muttered. “I am going to get my stuff.”

“Jake,” my mother said in a shaky voice. “You have to come back!”

“Right,” I nodded and started to walk towards the stairs, Christy following me silently.

“Jake!” my mother cried. “This is ridiculous! Come home, say that you are sorry, beg your father for forgiveness, and he...”

“No!” I said sharply without looking at her. “I will never beg for anything else in my life! And I am done with my father and you!”

She was saying something else, but I ignored her and walked upstairs to my room. I opened the door and winced.

“Jesus,” Christy muttered behind my back.

It seemed like the room was hit by a hurricane. Every single piece of furniture was broken, including the bed. All my clothes were piled up on the floor, some of them were torn. It looked like my father was planning a huge bonfire last night, but at the last minute, he ran out of steam. Screw this, I thought, and went into my closet. I found a couple of old bags and brought them out. I started shoving all my clothes in them, and Christy kneeled next to me and started to help.

“Hey, Chris,” I said quietly. “Can you get the books and whatnot? The ones that he didn’t tear apart?”

“Sure,” she said and got up.

Almost all of my books survived and I was surprised. Books would be easier to destroy than clothes, I thought. Finally, we got almost everything, and I straightened up and looked around the room. It was weird, but I didn’t feel any emotion right now. I thought that I would be at least somewhat sad to leave this place behind, but it seemed like I couldn’t care less. I shrugged and picked up the bags.

“Let’s go,” I said and we went out of the room.

When we came downstairs, my mother was standing by the front door, clutching her glass, which was refilled. She was slightly swaying on her feet.

“Jake,” she said the minute she saw me. “I am not going to let you take a single step out of this house...”

“Get out of my way,” I said quietly.

“Go ahead,” she sneered. “Hit me... Come on, Jake! Hit me!”

“I am not my father,” I said tiredly. “I will never hit you even though you used to beat the shit out of me.”

She didn’t even seem to notice the bad word. She leaned against the door and shook her head.

“You are not leaving this house, Jake...”

“Yes, I am,” I said patiently. “And there is nothing you can do about it. I am eighteen, remember?”

“You are not leaving this house,” she repeated stubbornly, and I sighed.

I set my bags on the floor and walked up to her. She winced when she looked into my eyes.

“Move,” I said, and she shook her head like a stubborn kid. I sighed. “Fine then...”

I easily picked her up by her shoulders, and she let out a surprised squeak. I moved her away from the door and picked up my bags.

“Let’s go, Chris,” I said and opened the door.

“Jake, please!” my mother cried. “Jake!!”

“Bye, mom,” I muttered and she started to sob.

 

Christy helped me to put all my stuff away when we got to her house, and when we were finally finished, she looked at me and bit her lower lip.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s about Amber,” she said miserably. “I know I am being awful right now, but...”

I rolled my eyes.

“I will ask her out,” I said. “I promise.”

“Well, that’s the thing...” she said uncomfortably and my heart filled up with hope.

Oh dear God, please tell me that she lost all her interest in me and found someone else, please, God...

“I was wondering if you could maybe ask her out tomorrow?”

Oh crap, that’s right. I forgot that God had given up on me. He was probably laughing His head off right now. I sighed.

“Why?”

Christy looked even more uncomfortable – a thing I didn’t think was possible.

“I was wondering if we maybe could do, like, a double date on Saturday...” she muttered and I stared at her.

Ha-ha, very funny, God. Hilarious, really.

“A double date?” I repeated weakly.

“Yeah... Remember how I told you that Alex and I were going out?”

“Uh huh...”

“Well, this is really weird, but I am so nervous... I don’t even know why. I never got nervous before, but when I think that I’d be out there with him all by myself, I get this weird feeling...” she shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know, Jake. It’s weird.”

Yup, Alex Landon is good at making people of both genders feel weird. Sounded to me that this particular crush was serious for Christy, and I felt like beating my head on the wall.

“Okay,” I said with a sigh. “I will ask her out tomorrow then.”

“Oh, Jake!” she hung on my neck. “I love you!”

“I love you too,” I muttered and hugged her.

 

The next day I felt almost sick every time I would even think about asking Amber out. Finally, I just gritted my teeth and walked up to her. I never cared much about this girl. She was pretty, Christy was right. Her hair was auburn-red, she had a nice-looking slim body, her eyes were almost startlingly blue. She wasn’t a supermodel or anything like that, but she was really pretty. Her personality, however, was making me shudder. Amber was a type of a person who would start laughing like crazy in the middle of a funeral. It was almost as if she had a talent to say or do the wrong thing at the wrong time. She was always very straightforward (which I actually liked), but almost always her being straightforward turned into just plain being rude. I remember how one of the girls in my class – Melissa – was telling us about how her mother decided to take some karate lessons, and Amber just snorted and said:

“She is going through a midlife crisis. Your mother is just plain stupid.”

I thought that Melissa was going to stab her in the eye with her pen. Amber always said stuff like that, and as a result, she would always hang out by herself. Nobody would even sit next to her in class. And now I had to ask her out.

I was walking up to her, thinking that for everything Christy did for me, I’d happily jump off a bridge if she asked me. A date with Amber Leigh didn’t seem like such a big deal.

“Hey, Amber,” I said lightly, and she looked at me.

“Hey, Jake. Christy told you to ask me out, didn’t she?”

Ugh. Why couldn’t she just stop with “Hey, Jake”?

“Yeah,” I shrugged.

I figured I’d be as straightforward with her as she was with me. She smiled at that.

“So you wanna go out or not?” I asked.

“Do you?” she squinted her eyes.

Oh, for crying out loud! Now we are going to play twenty questions?

“Yeah, sure,” I shrugged.

“Okay,” she smiled. “When?”

“How about tomorrow night?” I couldn’t help but think that spending the entire evening with Alex would be awesome, even though he’d be with Christy.

“Okay,” she said again.

“Umm... Christy and Alex gonna go with us,” I said. “It’ll be like a double date.”

“Oh,” Amber shrugged. “Sure, that’s fine.”

“I’ll ask Christy for details and I’ll call you, okay?”

“Okay,” she nodded. “Do you want my phone number?”

“Chris has it,” I said and Amber’s eyes narrowed.

“Tell me,” she said, and I almost sighed. “What is it with you and Christy? You guys are always together, it’s crazy!”

“We are best friends,” I shrugged. “We’ve been friends since kindergarten. Now we live together.”

She stared at me and I realized how it sounded.

“I mean, I am staying at her place temporarily. Until I find a job and a place of my own,” I said quickly.

“Why aren’t you living at home?” she frowned.

“I got kicked out,” I said lightly.

“Kicked out?” Amber repeated. “Aren’t you, like, this crazily religious boy who, like, worships his parents?”

I wanted to thump her on the head really hard. Or tape her mouth shut. Or both.

“I used to be,” I sighed. “Things change.”

Amber shrugged.

“Whatever,” she said. “Talk to you later.”

And she walked away. I almost laughed. Good Lord! Tomorrow night is going to be interesting.

©Katya Dee. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Jake's parent's religious inclinations are deeply skewed. There is so much room for improvement.

Amber seems cursed to utter the truth as she perceives it without any filters. Tomorrow will be an interesting experience.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting developments, his mother seems to be batsh*t, awefull date ahead no doubt, great chapter

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Why does it seem like this amazing, normal boy attracts the kookiest of the kooks?!?!  His parents and now Amber, smh.

Seeing his mother in that condition I feel is a warning that Jake is ignoring, his progenitor is not done with him yet.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I have to say, not a fan of Christy. Yes, she got Jake out of a horrible situation. But she's manipulative — getting others to do her homework, etc. Hopefully her parents aren’t the type to pay her way into some prestigious university.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This is driving me crazy. I know Jake Summers is a character from another story. Does anyone remember? I keep thinking of swimmers ...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

This is driving me crazy. I know Jake Summers is a character from another story. Does anyone remember? I keep thinking of swimmers ...

I had no idea, so I Googled (lol). There is a character with the same name on Transferred To Bullworth, and then there was also some game. As I said -- I had no idea, internet is educational 😁

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Why does an irrational belief in religion so often associate with drinking, I wonder? Good chapter. A little less emotion than the last one. I can’t even imagine how Jake’s forced date with Amber will go so I’ll just have to see for myself.

I agree with Geemeedee, Christy is manipulative and used to getting what she wants. Will that include Alex?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have to agree with @Geemeedee, Christy is manipulative and I'd say she is something of a user. The date seems doomed before it's even started and I wonder how much Jake will be thinking about his mum, it looks like she is being controlled by his dad. Lot's to think about and there are some unanswered questions in this chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I sometimes think, it is 20th century, is it possible that religions somewhat keep with changing time. I mean, may be, how to help someone in need instead of only preaching what's not useful for daily life.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..