Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 5,085 Words
  • 4,149 Views
  • 238 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Light at the End of the Tunnel - 10. Chapter 10

The much-anticipated day of reckoning is here. Can Asa live up to the hype?

Silence accompanied the pre-dawn hour. Ashton lay awake most of the night, a jumbled ball of emotions ebbing and flowing within his brain, never settling down. Occasionally, he drifted into a semi-stupor, but it never lasted long. Elijah was curled around him, his mate’s warmth providing soothing comfort. At Sebastian’s suggestion, they were in a guest room at his house. It was quieter than the lodge, and even though the room was unfamiliar, the scents were not. The mixed smells of his pack mates overlaid with his Alpha’s comforted him.

Ashton broke the silence with a soft sigh. Elijah stirred but didn’t wake. He couldn’t believe today was the day of reckoning. Is this what prisoners felt the morning they were released from jail? Over eight years had gone by since he last saw his human self. Would he even recognize the face which had remained cloaked for so long?

Too many thoughts muddled his brain. It was impossible to sleep. If something went wrong, he wasn’t sure if he could continue in this half-baked state. The wolf within him was tired, too. It was hard at first. The beast wanted out and became frustrated with every failed attempt. For months, they lived in a state of constant standoff before reaching a tentative truce. Ashton didn’t want to regress to those early days, living with the constant fear of becoming feral.

Blind hope was the only thing that kept him and Austin going for so long. That hope stretched thinner and thinner with every passing year, and these past few months had been a dream come true, with the exception of remaining stuck in a hybrid form.

Neither Austin nor he ever expected to find their mates, let alone at the same time. The wait to complete their claims was excruciating. He understood why Sebastian asked them to hold off. However, their wolves were growing increasingly impatient with every passing day. So was he.

After years of confinement and abuse, which clouded his optimism, dare he believe the end was finally in sight? Would Elijah and Tyler still want them after discovering what he and his twin had to do to survive? They still hadn’t discussed any of those dark days with their mates. Ashton shoved those thoughts aside. First, they needed to deal with the physical aspects of their relationship. Then, the real work could begin.

Lack of communication had been a major thorn in their sides for too many years. The most significant breakthrough was being rescued and given tools and resources by newfound loved ones to learn sign language. Sure, it was frustrating not being able to speak, but knowing others could understand what he wanted was a huge relief.

The therapist Sebastian suggested was helping him and his brother acclimate to being around people again. Their social skills had taken a nosedive during their years of limited contact with others. Crucial development typically gained during mid-to-late teens was stunted but recoverable.

They were working hard on appropriate behavior in various situations in which they might find themselves. Several long discussions centered on what would happen when they discovered a cure. Now that that day was here, he realized his emotions were mixed, ranging from elation to disappointment. He wasn’t sure how to process the negative feelings he had.

“Hey,” Elijah said, his voice thick and rough with sleep. “Penny for your thoughts?”

He smiled, then rolled over to face his mate. Outside, the first notes of morning songbirds reached them. The darkness had dissipated enough that he could clearly make out Elijah’s features. He was beautiful. His soft blond hair framed his gorgeous face, and a stray lock fell over one eye, which he brushed back. Irises, the color of the sky, graced Ashton with a gaze only for him. People often remarked how young Elijah looked, but Ashton thought he was perfect. He still couldn’t believe how lucky he was to have this man in his life, willing to put in the effort to make things work.

Too many thoughts whirling around, he signed.

Elijah leaned in to kiss his forehead softly before capturing his lips. Ashton wanted nothing more than to wake to this every morning.

Pulling back, Elijah repositioned so Ashton could nestle in his embrace but still have his hands free to communicate. “Tell me what they are. I’ll help you sort them out.”

Ashton’s eyes misted as he once again thanked whatever powers that be that Elijah was his. I have too many emotions to sort through. It’s overwhelming.

“Let me guess. You’re excited and can’t wait to get things started. Your anticipation is at a five-year-old-on-Christmas-Eve level.” Elijah’s eyes seemed to twinkle as he teased his mate. “Either that, or you’re impatient to complete our mating finally.”

Ashton chuffed, the closest sound he had to a laugh. He gave Elijah a toothy grin and, in return, got a boop on the nose.

Elijah turned serious and said, “You’re also scared and feel like you’re going to vibrate right out of your skin. Not knowing how this will turn out has your insides knotted and tangled up.”

Ashton nodded. There it was, the bare truth. He was almost as scared as when he and Austin had been first kidnapped. This uneasiness he felt distressed his wolf.

Elijah gently cupped his face, forcing him to look directly at him. “It will be okay. I have a good feeling about this. It will be our turn when it’s over, and everyone is done fussing over you and Austin. We’ve waited long enough. Tonight is ours.”

I love you.

Another soft kiss was planted on his lips. He loved how Elijah stroked the soft fur along his cheek and neck. “I love you, too. Now, let’s get our asses out of bed. I’m sure Tyler and Austin are up, too. I heard some rustling coming from the kitchen.”

They donned some clothes and joined his twin brother and his mate. Tyler was pouring coffee and slid two cups their way. Austin looked exactly how Ashton felt.

In middle school, someone once asked them if it was weird being a twin. Back then, they denied it because they didn’t want to be outcasts. Looking back, being a twin was kind of weird. People fussed over them and their unique looks. More often than not, they wished for normal eyes like everyone else.

The most startling aspect of being a twin was the connection they had. They rarely needed to tell the other how they felt or thought. During their years of captivity, the link between them strengthened. It was as though Fate, the fickle bitch she was, knew they needed it to survive.

Instinctively, Ashton sat next to his brother. Austin automatically leaned into him. Elijah and Tyler shared an understanding smile. They were used to the closeness they shared—the need to be near, to rely on each other. Especially today. The next several hours were going to be tough.

They sat silently, sipping their coffee, lost in thought as they watched the orange and purples of the sunrise replace the pre-dawn grayness.

“I think it’s time we get going,” Elijah said as he broke the reverie. “Breakfast should be ready.”

“Hey! Come on in, guys,” Sandi said as she greeted them when they entered the kitchen. “Your timing is perfect. Grab a dish and put it on the buffet table, then help yourselves.”

They exchanged a chorus of ‘good mornings’ and did as they were told as they joined the others in the big dining room.

Sebastian started the line. Ashton watched in amazement as the big man piled on his plate with food. The group shuffled along the long table, one at a time, loading up on their favorites. When he spied the big, gooey cinnamon rolls, a broad smile broke out on his face. Mom must have sent them over, knowing they were his and Austin’s favorite.

Ashton was more amazed when he saw Asa carefully balancing two plates along his forearm, each stacked high with food.

Reilly nudged Sebastian’s ribs, nodding toward the light shifter. “He said he uses an enormous amount of calories when he does his thing. What’s your excuse?”

Those closest to the Alpha laughed as Sebastian glared at his mate. “I’m the Alpha. I don’t need an excuse.”

Despite his nervous excitement, Ashton was hungry. He restrained from overindulging, though. He didn’t want to run the risk of upchucking during the process. Besides, the Sizzle Sisters, as they called the cooking duo of Sandi and Mama affectionately behind their backs, promised a feast when Asa finished.

Ashton sat next to Austin while Elijah and Tyler book-ended them. Caleb and Asa chose the seats across from them.

“Are you guys okay?” Asa asked as he watched them pick at their food.

Nervous, Austin signed, answering for both.

“Mmm, I get it. I’ll make this as easy as I can. Do you have any questions?”

Ashton signed, and Elijah translated. “What do you think will happen? Will we be human or wolf?”

“Good question,” Asa replied. “I think you’ll be human. Right now, more of your physical attributes are in human form. Focusing on reverting the wolf’s traits will be easier, as there aren’t as many.”

That made sense. He pictured a few other hybrids who were more wolf-like than human, then signed another question.

“Will we be able to shift?” Elijah interpreted.

“I hope so,” Asa answered. “Truthfully, I can’t say for sure. It’s new territory for me. I can tell you that on a few occasions when I’ve healed significant disfigurements that prevented normal movement, the person regained their ability to function properly.”

Ashton sighed. Austin caught his eye and gave him a reassuring look. Under the table, Elijah placed a hand on his knee, giving it a comforting squeeze.

Austin wanted to know how much it would hurt. Truthfully, he had been wondering the same. But just like the shifting question, Asa didn’t know the answer.

“Everyone reacts differently,” the light shifter explained. “Your threshold might be bigger than your brother’s. Most of the time, the people I heal only feel some discomfort. It’s hard to say with you because your situation is unique.”

“If it makes you feel any better,” Caleb interjected, “I wasn’t in any pain while Asa poked around my head. I wasn’t fully aware, either. It felt like I was floating underwater.”

Ashton bit his bottom lip. Caleb’s admission was reassuring. Unconsciously, he reached up to rub his wolf-like ears. It would be weird having human ones again. He’d gotten used to the soft fur, and being able to swivel them allowed for better hearing. Not having permanently long incisors would be a relief. Whenever he gave Elijah a blowjob, he had to be extremely careful not to graze him.

When everyone finished eating, Asa pushed back his chair and asked, “Are you guys ready?”

He and Austin took a deep breath at the same time and nodded in tandem.

Asa stood in front of the group. “Outside will only be me, Caleb, Ashton, Austin, Elijah, and Tyler. The rest of you will stay away unless Caleb calls you. I’m hoping it won’t take too long, but don’t worry if it does. My mate knows what to do if there are any issues. Does everyone understand?”

There were murmurs of assent as Sebastian and his crew agreed to Asa’s conditions.

“Is it alright if Donovan, Reilly, and I stay in the kitchen?” Sebastian asked. “I’d feel more comfortable if I could see what was going on. I promise we won’t make any noise or interfere in any way.”

“Yes, I’ll agree to it as long as you keep your promise.”

Knowing his Alpha was close by gave him a sense of security. Instinctively, he knew Sebastian would never let any harm come to him or Austin.

“Let’s go,” Asa instructed.

Outside, the morning air was cool with a hint of warmth, which would increase as the sun rose higher. Two padded wicker chairs faced each other while several other pieces of furniture were nearby.

“Who wants to go first?” Asa asked.

Ashton looked at his brother. Austin nodded and stepped out of the way, letting Ashton sit in the chair facing Asa.

“Ready?”.

He waggled his hand back and forth in the universal sign for so-so, then nodded.

Asa gently gripped the back of Ashton’s head, pulling their foreheads together. He wasn’t sure what he expected, but it certainly wasn’t nothing.

Asa let out a soft grunt and pulled back. “That’s odd. It’s not working. I can’t feel the energy the way I should.”

Disappointment pierced Ashton’s chest like a sliver bullet. They got their hopes up for nothing.

The light shifter tried again with the same results. “Switch places with Austin. Maybe it will work with him first.”

Ashton rose and moved over to let his brother take his place. He held his breath as he watched Asa connect his forehead with Austin’s. Nothing happened.

Asa pounded his fists on his thighs. “Argh! What’s wrong? Why isn’t it working?”

Immediately, Caleb went to his mate and kneeled next to him, taking his balled-up fists and stroking them until they unfurled. “Deep breath. We’ll figure this out. There has to be something we’re missing. Why don’t I try to channel some energy for you?”

Nodding, Asa relaxed and reached out to pull Austin forward again, this time with Caleb’s hand on his shoulder.

Still nothing.

Ashton went and stood next to his twin, placing a hand on his shoulder. He sensed the same despair that he felt.

“Wait!” Elijah exclaimed. “Didn’t you put your head on both of them when you did your assessment thingy? Maybe you have to do them together?”

Renewed hope flared through his chest, and Austin reached up and gripped his hand tightly.

“Let’s try it,” Asa said. “Move the loveseat over here so they can sit side-by-side.”

Tyler and Elijah hastily rearranged the furniture, and he and Austin sat down together, keeping their hands linked.

When Asa pulled their heads forward and touched their forehead together this time, an immediate vibration, almost like an electric shock, zinged through him from head to toe. Austin’s grip tightened. It was the last thing he felt as his body went numb.

A white glow enveloped them, and the air pulsed around the trio. Ashton felt floaty, aware of his surroundings, but unable to feel anything other than the constant vibrating electricity. His sense of smell was sharp, and the scent of ozone was strong. He could hear pops and cracks and assumed it was their bones being rearranged.

There was a palpability that made him aware of his existence on a cellular level. His heartbeat thundered in his chest. He could smell the excitement and apprehension rolling off him in waves and taste the metallic tang of his blood as it pulsed through his veins. This primal, visceral awareness is what it felt like to be encapsulated in pure energy.

Time was a concept that escaped his capacity to understand. He could have floated in this ethereal existence forever. However, he slowly became aware of his wolf. The beast was silent, merely making his presence known. They were strangers, and yet somehow, they had known each other forever.

Ashton felt a pull as if an invisible tether were guiding him someplace. Allowing himself to be ushered toward the unknown, he followed blindly. His heartbeat softened, the loud ba-dum, ba-dum, fading into background noise. A murmur took its place. The sound slowly grew, unintelligible noise morphing into syllables.

Ashton? Ashton? Ashton–wake up!

His eyelids fluttered, squinting as bright sunlight filled his vision. As his focus sharpened, his eyes widened in surprise. He was lying flat on his back, and Elijah hovered over him, his expression a mix of worry and awe.

He signed; what happened?

“Try speaking,” his mate coaxed.

Ashton frowned and tilted his head, confused. Elijah reached out and stroked the side of his face. “It worked, babe. You’re human again.”

Bolting upright into a sitting position, he immediately regretted it. The world spun violently, and he would have fallen over if not for Elijah catching him. His mate steadied and supported him until everything came into focus. Remembering why they were there, he instinctively searched for Austin and saw him sitting on the loveseat with Tyler cradling his head in his lap. When their eyes met, their jaws dropped.

Gone were the wolf-like ears and noses. Pale skin replaced the fur coats, and their hands and feet were normal. Most startling of all were the unfamiliar bodies. It seemed they skipped puberty altogether, shooting straight to adulthood.

Elijah helped him stand. His legs were wobbly as he closed the short distance to Austin. Tyler supported Austin as they stood. It was like looking in a mirror. They had grown at least six inches. Muscles filled out their tall frames, forever banishing the lanky pre-teen gangliness. Their faces had changed too. Mature features replaced the former child-like appearance.

Damn, if he still looked exactly like Austin, then they were fucking gorgeous. The one thing that hadn’t changed was their eyes. Familiar blue and green orbs gaped at him with wonder.

“Austin.”
“Ashton.”

Their voices were raspy as they croaked each other’s name, the sound unfamiliar. The vibrations of his vocal cords felt odd after so many years of disuse.

Tears quickly overflowed, streaming down their faces. They reached for each other and held on tight. Their mates stepped up behind them and shrouded them in a twin sandwich. Ashton’s world, which had been displaced for so long, tilted back on its axis.

Peripherally, he was aware of Asa and Caleb quietly returning to the house, giving the couples their privacy. Glancing over, he noticed the light shifter leaning heavily on his mate. He and Austin owed the man a massive debt of gratitude.

After a few moments of enjoying their hug-fest, they broke apart. With the initial shock wearing off, Ashton became aware of other changes. He turned to Elijah, towering over his mate by nearly a head.

Elijah looked up and laughed. “Christ, you’re fucking tall!”

Tyler and Austin laughed at their own discrepancy. It wasn’t as pronounced since Tyler was a few inches taller than Elijah.

As the laughter died, Tyler studied his mate. “It’s absolutely incredible. You guys are stunning. How the hell did we get so lucky?”

“I don’t know,” Elijah replied, “but I’m not going to question it. Do you think you can shift?”

Ashton sensed his wolf, and the beast transmitted trepidation. “I don’t think my wolf is quite ready.”

“Mine either,” Austin echoed.

“That’s okay,” Tyler said, touching Austin’s hip. “Are you ready to go inside? Prying eyes are having difficulty keeping away from the windows.”

Sure enough, when Ashton turned, the kitchen curtains closed abruptly. “Yes. I think Donovan will want to look us over to ensure all our bits and pieces were put back properly.”

Elijah went on tiptoe and whispered, “I can’t wait to see what other bits and pieces filled out, too.”

Ashton blushed, and his wolf perked up. Before, the beast had felt like a stranger inhabiting his mind. Now, he felt a oneness with the animal that hadn’t been there before. He could sense more nuances in the wolf’s emotions. Instead of primal instinct, his wolf radiated a new perception of discipline despite his wariness, although, given their circumstances, it was warranted. Ashton wondered if shifting would dispel the wolf’s reservations and bridge the final gap between them.

A chorus of "wows’’ greeted the twins as they entered the kitchen.

Ashton spied Asa sitting on a chair, looking tired but otherwise fine. Caleb stood behind him, massaging his shoulders. He walked over and knelt in front of the light shifter. “Thank you,” he said, his voice still scratchy. Austin was behind him and echoed the sentiment.

“You’re welcome,” Asa replied.

Donovan cleared his throat. “I’d like to look at all three of you if that’s okay.”

Asa smiled. “The sooner we get this over, the sooner we can eat. I’m starving.”

The twins’ stomachs growled in agreement. Donovan herded them into Sebastian’s office. He attended Asa first.

“How do you feel?”

“Good. Really good, actually. I’m hungry but not ravenous. I’m tired but nowhere near what it was like after I healed Caleb. A good night’s sleep and a few hours of sun should get me back to normal.”

Ashton let out his breath. He’s been afraid Asa had suffered during the process.

“As a matter of fact,” Asa continued. “I think the only reason I’m this tired is because I needed to heal them together. I had to channel my energy more precisely, which drained me faster. I don’t think it will happen when I heal the other hybrids individually.”

“That’s good to know,” Donovan replied. “I’ll use today as a baseline, and we’ll track your energy levels as we go along so we can spot any potential problems.”

Asa nodded. "How long did it take?"

"Not quite eight hours," Caleb answered.

Ashton's eyes widened. Eight hours? No wonder Asa was tired!

"It doesn't feel like it took that long," Asa remarked. "Caleb's boosting ability is better than we imagined."

Doc agreed and finished with the light shifter, declaring him fit and prescribing food and rest.

When it was their turn, Ashton and Austin received a clean bill of health, too. Neither of them felt anything besides some soreness and tiredness.

Elijah took his hand and led him to the kitchen, where everyone grinned triumphantly when they returned with the good news.

“The moms have everything under control at the lodge,” Reilly informed them. “There’s enough food to feed two or three packs from the sound of it. Are you boys up for it?”

“We need to see Mom and Dad,” Austin remarked, his voice rough. “I’m sure they’re worried.”

“I called them to let them know everything went well. They’ll meet us at the lodge,” Zev said, then held up his hand with his thumb and index finger, separated by a fraction. “They were a wee bit annoyed when I wouldn’t give them any details. I think I took the top spot on your mom’s shit list.”

Ashton chuckled. The sound felt so different from what he was used to. “She’ll get over it. Mom’s never been one to stay mad for long.”

Austin nodded in agreement. “That’s true, but puppy dog eyes go a long way toward instant forgiveness,” he added.

“I’ll keep it in mind,” Zev said.

“Let’s get going,” Sebastian ordered. “No sense in keeping them waiting any longer.”

Elijah took Ashton’s hand as they headed outside. “I can’t wait to see the looks on everyone’s faces. You and Austin are gorgeous.”

He blushed, then signed a reply, stopping almost immediately. It would take a while to get used to using his voice again. “I’m not complaining. I still can’t believe it’s real.”

They took the larger, fifteen-passenger van. Ashton’s knee bounced faster the closer they got to the lodge. He, Elijah, Austin, and Tyler were the last to exit when they arrived.

Family and friends crowded the porch. Their parents were front and center on the top step. The second he and Austin got out, he heard Mom gasp. Then she and Dad ran to close the gap between them. Mom may have been an average-size woman, but she slammed into him like an NFL linebacker. Without Elijah’s quick reflexes, they would have tumbled to the ground. He still felt weak and wobbly. Dad was more restrained when he engulfed Austin in his arms.

“OH, MY GOD!” Mom exclaimed as she buried her head against his shoulder. Hot tears soaked his shirt. After squeezing the life out of him, she pulled back to look at his face. Her hands shook as they softly cupped his face. “Oh, Ashton! You’re beautiful.”

Ashton had waited eight long years to say the four words he’d yearned to speak again. He wasn’t waiting for a second longer. “I love you, Mom.”

The moisture that had pooled in his eyes overflowed as he joined his mom, bawling in happiness. Next to them, a similar scenario played out between Austin and Dad. After a few minutes, they swapped places. Mom never played favorites, and she ooh’d and aah’d over Austin just as much. He repeated the same sentiment to his father, and Dad shook as he held Ashton close.

Loud applause broke their little reunion. For the first time, Ashton took notice of the crowd that had gathered. Tyler’s entire family, Wayne, Sandi, Rosalie, and Silas, were front and center. More than a few were crying as well. Several hybrids had joined the crowd, curiosity and hope painting their expressions.

The next few minutes were chaotic as everyone milled about, congratulating him and Austin. Elijah never left his side, and Tyler was just as protective of Austin.

“Asa is amazing,” Ashton said to Mama as she fawned over him and his twin. “He gets all the credit.” He looked around, spotting him a few feet away. Asa was preoccupied, looking across the room at Caleb with a concerned expression.

The former pack Alpha had his arms around a young boy about eleven or twelve. The kid was looking up at him with adoration. Ashton could see the resemblance between them, though it was subtle. It was Caleb’s son, Vann. As far as he knew, Vann didn’t know Caleb was his biological father.

He nudged Elijah, motioned with his chin, and whispered, “Look.”

Elijah straightened, and together, they observed the reunion. It was difficult to decipher Caleb’s reaction. His expression was neutral, but his shoulders were tense.

“I hope he’s okay,” Elijah whispered back.

A loud whistle pierced the air. Mama stood on the porch’s top step, her fingers poised to issue another ear-piercing blast if necessary. Luckily, the crowd settled down.

“The food is ready,” she announced. “Let’s get this celebration started!”

Some of the younger shifters stampeded into the lodge. The adults were more orderly, knowing there was plenty of food to go around.

Ashton inhaled as he entered the big cafeteria-like dining room. Sandi and Mama had pulled out all the stops. The serving tables were loaded with everything from salads and appetizers to decadent desserts.

Sebastian strode to the head of the line that was forming. He gave a mildly reprimanding look to the four youngsters who had pushed their way to the front.

“Today, we let Ashton, Elijah, Austin, Tyler, Caleb, and Asa go first,” he announced. The four kids, including the two youngest Williamson boys, Micah and Felix, stepped back sheepishly.

Ashton held back a laugh when he saw the look of disappointment on their faces. They were growing boys and were most likely told not to ruin their appetites while waiting for their arrival.

Austin chuckled as he cut in front of the kids. Tyler cuffed each of his brothers upside their heads.

They grabbed plates and loaded them with food. Ashton’s stomach growled with anticipation as he scooped a second spoonful of Mama’s famous taco mac-n-cheese. He hadn’t realized how hungry he was. Asa wasn’t kidding when he said they’d need to replenish their calories. He nearly drooled when he saw the enormous pan of meatballs. The smell told him his mom had made them—pure culinary Nirvana.

He and Austin took their time eating, savoring every bite. He marveled at how different the food tasted in human form. Wolves could taste salty, bitter, acidic, and sweet foods like humans, but because their sense of smell was more acute, it changed how it registered in the brain. Humans had the added sense of savory, adding another element that affected how they processed the taste of food.

Austin swallowed and moaned. “Wow… I didn’t realize how different food would taste. This spread is incredible.”

“Damn right,” Ashton agreed. “I may stay here all night.”

Elijah leaned over and gave him a heated look before saying, “Is that right? What a shame. There are so many things I wanted to do to you tonight. I was looking forward to showing off our mating marks tomorrow morning. Guess we’ll have to wait.”

Ashton’s wolf pushed forward and growled.

Elijah chuckled at the sound. “It sounds like someone is trying to veto your suggestion.”

“Screw dessert! Let’s go,” he said, ready to drag Elijah back to their suite if necessary.

Having overheard the exchange, Austin smacked the back of his head. “Don’t be rude. Show a little restraint.”

“Restraint, my ass,” he retorted. “Don’t tell me your wolf isn’t just as anxious to complete your mating as mine.”

“He is, but I’m overriding him in favor of Mom’s lemon meringue cheesecake.”

The cheesecake? How did he miss that?

When he took a deep breath through his nose, the unmistakable smell of sweet, lemony goodness hit him.

“Dude!” Tyler exclaimed. “You should see the look on your face. Total lustfulness—for cheesecake!”

Ashton felt the heat rise in his cheeks as he murmured, “It’s really good cheesecake.”

That made the others laugh, and he had no choice but to join in.

Settling down, Elijah said, “Why don’t we enjoy dessert, make our rounds of thank yous and goodbyes, then retire for the evening? I’m sure no one will be surprised when we leave.”

He had a point. Ashton kissed his mate and then led the way to the dessert table.

After licking his plate clean, much to his mom's dismay, judging by the look she gave him, he threw away the disposable plate and fork.

Elijah held his hand as they made their rounds, finally escaping after ten grueling minutes of societal niceties. Austin and Tyler were as jittery as he and Elijah, but at last, they were surrounded by quiet as they exited the elevator on their floor.

Once in front of their door, Elijah paused with the key in the lock. “Are you ready for this?”

Smiling, he replied, “I’ve never been more ready for anything in my life.”

“Open the fucking door, Garrison!” Tyler demanded.

“Bite me, Williamson.”

Ashton looked at his brother and rolled his eyes. Tonight, he would not only seal his mate bond with Elijah; he would also be forever connected to Tyler as well. His family was expanding, and it felt right.

Hand-in-hand, he and Elijah stepped over the threshold.

We still don't know how quickly Asa will be able to heal the rest of the hybrids, but at least it looks promising.
Copyright © 2023 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 82
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 5
Thanks to everyone who stuck it out throughout this series. Don't forget to recommend and leave a review! 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..