Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,393 Words
  • 4,300 Views
  • 182 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Light at the End of the Tunnel - 14. Chapter 14

Moving along,

"Is Corbin alright?"

Alarm bells blared in Asa’s head as Caleb spoke to Giles, setting off a chain reaction inside him. His muscles tensed, and his heart rate spiked, causing his pulse to drum loudly in his ears. The drumming had direct competition from the sharp sound of air racing into his lungs.

Asa's panic was thankfully short-lived, and he let out the breath he was holding when he saw Caleb relax. He stepped into his mate's line of sight, silently willing him to put the call on speaker.

Caleb nodded, then told Giles, "Hang on, I'm going to put you on speaker so Asa and Sebastian can hear." He tapped the screen. “So what happened?”

“Corbin called me in the middle of the night. Boots’ barking woke him, and he realized the room was filled with smoke. They barely made it downstairs and outside before the whole house was engulfed. The barn and outlying buildings were burning, too. By the time I took a crew over there, nothing could be done.”

Asa leaned closer so Giles could hear him. “So, Corbin and Boots are safe?”

“Yes. They’re at my place. Corbin was on the phone all day with his insurance company. He lost everything. I finally got him to lie down. He went out like a light,” Giles said, his voice thick with emotion.

Everyone adored Corbin. He was a frequent guest at Giles’ ranch, and Asa couldn’t help but think of how he and Caleb clicked so well with him. The friendship they’d established surprised him with how quickly they clicked. He and Caleb felt like Corbin had been their friend forever.

Sebastian stood. Worry lines creased his handsome face. “Giles, it’s Sebastian. What do you think the current threat level is?”

Asa listened attentively as Giles discussed potential scenarios with Sebastian. Caleb occasionally interjected his thoughts as well.

“Do you think it might be Huntington’s doing?” asked Caleb.

“Anything is possible,” Sebastian replied. “It’s a safe bet he still has strikers carrying out his orders.”

Caleb looked at Asa. “We need to go home.”

Home. Something about how his mate used the word shot directly through him. He’d lived in Texas his whole life, so it always felt like home. His heart gave a funny flutter hearing Caleb utter the same sentiment.

“I agree. We should get on the road as soon as we can.”

“Hold up a minute,” Sebastian interjected. “I’ve got a better idea. I’ll arrange a charter flight for first thing in the morning. I also want to send Zev and Ben if it’s okay with Giles.”

“It’s fine with me,” the Texas Alpha agreed.

“Good.” Sebastian continued. “Until we know for sure if Huntington is responsible, I want Zev and Ben to be the liaison between our packs. They’ll complete a survey of your current security measures and implement any suggestions you agree to. In the meantime, I’ll contact Lex and see what he can come up with. Right now, you should take care of your friend.”

Asa didn’t have time to mull over Sebastian’s compassion and generosity. In addition to packing their stuff, he needed to make sure the pups who’d been cured didn’t need anything else. The last thing he wanted was for them to be distressed when he was a thousand miles away.

Caleb stayed on the phone with Giles a few minutes longer. The news from Texas ended the celebration, and Wayne had taken it upon himself to organize the cleanup crew.

“I know you’re anxious to pack up,” Sebastian said, “but I’d like a quick briefing when we get to the house.”

On the short ride to Sebastian’s with the rest of the team, Asa’s mind drifted to Corbin's plans for turning his ranch into a rodeo and event venue. Was it even possible now?

Back at the main house, the meeting was brief. Sebastian stressed the need to be extra vigilant from here on out. Hunter and Kellan were tasked with beefing up the patrols. It was time to accelerate the training schedule, too. The Alpha would contact Cassiel in the morning and bring him up to date. When he called the charter company, the earliest they could have a plane ready was at six o’clock.

“Zev, Ben,” Sebastian addressed the duo, “I want you to work with Giles and his Beta to fortify the security of his pack. Hunter and Kellan will get you whatever you need. Surveillance measures need to be top-notch. I’m not sure if Cassiel can provide any help from the Fae world, but I’ll see what I can do.”

As he watched and listened, Asa realized there was much he didn’t know about the supernatural world. The way Sebastian took charge astounded him. He wondered if it was a natural trait of the Alpha or a product of his elevated status in their world. Caleb had explained the different designations wolf shifters could have, most of which Asa was aware of. The rare exceptions like Kappa and Lambda and their connections to other titles were news to him. It was a fascinating world.

With orders to get some rest, Sebastian dismissed the group.

Asa wasn’t sure how everyone else slept, but he and Caleb tossed and turned all night, and yet, they were ready at five a.m. to catch the flight Sebastian had arranged for them. Asa frowned as they drove away from the house. Last night had escalated so fast they didn’t get to give a proper goodbye to everyone, but it couldn’t be helped. Poor Caleb. He knew his mate regretted leaving things with Vann unresolved. His anguish was palpable through their bond. Asa felt it in a way that was similar to a fine-tuned instrument hitting a wrong note.

After promising Sebastian they would be extra vigilant, they were wheels up and in the air shortly after six a.m. The Montana mountains faded into small hills as they left them behind. Soon, the flat prairies of the Plains were below, and Asa held Caleb’s hand as they descended toward the private airstrip not far from Giles’ ranch.

The first thing he saw as he stepped onto the dry Texas soil was Giles and Corbin as they stepped out of Giles’ truck.

Asa went straight to their friend and held him at arm’s length, silently inspecting him with his eyes as Caleb scented their friend for any signs of injury or distress. Finding nothing wrong, he pulled Corbin into a crushing hug.

“Goddammit, I’m glad you’re okay,” Caleb said as his shoulder tension ebbed.

Boots whined, pressing himself close against his master. Caleb knelt next to him, scratching the dog from his ears to the base of his tail. “Who’s a good boy? Yes, you are. Bootsie needs ribeyes for the rest of his life, doesn’t he?”

When Zev snorted, Giles and Corbin averted their gazes, trying not to laugh. Ben smacked his mate’s arm, but there was no mistaking his barely concealed grin. Asa shook his head but was in total agreement with his mate. Boots deserved a reward for saving Corbin’s life.

“Maybe not steak every day,” Corbin countered. “But definitely some upgraded treats.”

While Caleb showered Boots with more pets and belly rubs, Asa introduced Corbin to Zev and Ben.

“What happened?” Caleb asked, getting to his feet, much to the chagrin of Boots, who decided he wasn’t done getting attention. He pawed at the Alpha’s foot and was rewarded with a few more scratches for his persistence.

“Why don’t we take this inside?” suggested Giles. “Mikey fixed breakfast for you before she left for the mess hall.”

When they got to the ranch house, the scent of coffee and cinnamon greeted them as soon as they stepped in the door. They wasted no time filling their plates and sitting at the big table, eager to hear Corbin’s version of events.

“I’d gone to bed at my normal time, around eleven,” their friend started. “Nothing was out of place when I did my rounds, and Boots didn’t sense anything amiss either. It was almost two when he became agitated, waking me up. Immediately, I smelled smoke. By the time I threw on some jeans and grabbed my phone, the smoke in the bedroom was so thick I could barely breathe.”

Asa cast a glance at Caleb as his mate pushed his plate away, giving Corbin one hundred percent of his attention.

“I dropped onto the floor and followed Boots into the hall. The roar of the flames reminded me of the same freight train sound a tornado makes as it bears down on you. At the top of the stairs, I could just barely make out the front door. We made a run for it but couldn’t get out. Someone had barricaded it, so I broke the window and lifted Boots out before crawling through myself. Within a minute or two, the entire house was engulfed. It wasn’t until I backed away that I saw the barn and the other buildings were burning, too. I grabbed my cell phone and called nine-one-one and then Giles.”

“Damn, Corbin,” Caleb said as he picked his jaw up off the table, “I can’t tell you how relieved we are that you and Boots are safe.”

“Me too,” Corbin replied with a small smile.

Asa was troubled by something Corbin said. “Giles didn’t mention your door was blocked. There’s no doubt that whoever did this wanted you dead.”

Red spots stained Corbin’s cheeks, and he had the same look a kid gets when they’re caught doing something they shouldn’t be doing. “Yeah, I asked him not to say anything. I didn’t want you guys to be more worried than I knew you’d be.”

“They’d still worry,” Zev interjected. “It’s not in Caleb’s nature not to worry when someone in his circle is in trouble.”

Huh. Caleb’s old pack-mate pointed out something Asa never considered. Since he’d known about Caleb, the man kept to himself. It never occurred to him that his mate had a core group of people he considered worthy of caring about. When they first met, he assumed the fallen Alpha no longer cared about anyone other than himself. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Even with his limited exposure to shifters, Asa learned from watching Giles and Sebastian that Alphas had an ingrained instinct to protect. Though Caleb didn’t have a pack of his own anymore, he still needed to look out for the well-being of those closest to him. During his self-imposed isolation, his horse, Eclipse, and that rascal little donkey, Hank, were the recipients of his nurturing impulse. Now that his mind and body were mended, his inner circle expanded to include more people again.

“When you put it that way,” Caleb retorted, “it makes me sound like a nanny looking after little kids.”

“I think it’s an admirable trait to have,” Asa stated, taking Caleb’s hand and kissing his knuckles.

Zev pretended to gag, and Ben smacked his arm. “Like you’ve never been guilty of PDA before.”

In response, Ben found himself pulled into a kiss of his own. When Zev pulled back, he wore a shit-eating grin. “I never said it was a bad thing.”

Ignoring the couple, Caleb turned to Corbin. “Can we see the damage for ourselves?”

Their friend nodded. “Sure. I need to meet the insurance adjuster at ten-thirty. You’re welcome to come along.”

“They need to go with you,” Giles insisted. “Huntington could be setting a trap. From now on, nobody goes anywhere alone. I’m calling an emergency pack meeting this afternoon. I need to introduce Ben and Zev and explain why I’m increasing security.”

“What time?” Caleb asked.

“Three o’clock. That should give the three of you plenty of time with the adjuster. Why don’t y’all finish your breakfast?” Giles suggested. “Then I’ll have Jorge show Zev and Ben their room. Caleb, yours and Asa’s stuff is still in the truck. I didn’t want to assume where you’ll be staying, although I think it may be wiser if you stuck close to here for the time being. Sebastian and I agree that Huntington has to be behind this.”

Caleb gave Asa an almost imperceptible tilt of his head as if to say it’s up to you.

“I don’t mind staying at Caleb’s cabin,” Asa agreed. “I can just as easily work from there as I can from my house. We can get my equipment later. I have my regular customers covered for another week if necessary. If it eases your mind, we’ll stay close for now.”

The relief that crossed Giles’ face was touching. The man opened, then closed his mouth as if he wanted to say something but changed his mind.

“Spit it out, Alpha,” Caleb said, calling out his friend.

“I don’t want to push anything else, but I promised Sebastian I would address it. The invitation to join this pack still stands, and I’d like you to seriously consider—”

Asa held up his hand and took a step toward Giles, tilting his head as a sign of respect. “You don’t need to say anything else. Caleb and I have discussed it and decided to take you up on your generous offer.”

Giles sighed and raised his arms toward the sky. “Thank fuck! Not only have I been worried, but the last thing I want is to be at the top of Sebastian’s shit list.”

Caleb snorted, then laughed. Zev and Ben joined in. Asa found himself chuckling along.

“I don’t think us not joining your pack will knock Huntington off the top of that list,” Caleb remarked when their laughter abated.

“No, you’ve got a point there. But seriously, I want the two of you under my protection as soon as you’re ready.”

Looking at Caleb, Asa saw him nod. “What do you need us to do?”

“When Jorge returns with Zev and Ben, they can be the official witnesses. You’ll need to pledge your loyalty to me and my pack, and I’ll imprint your scents. Any other time, Mikey’d make a big ordeal out of it, but under the circumstances, I think she’ll understand.”

“I doubt we need to tell you we prefer not to make a fuss over this,” Caleb said.

Giles nodded.

“You’re doing the right thing, Caleb,” Zev remarked.

“I know.”

“If you boys are done, I’ll show you to your room,” Jorge said. He turned to Giles. “We’ll meet you in your office in about fifteen, Boss?”

“That’ll be good.”

“I think I’ll head back to my place and take a look around before the adjuster gets there,” Corbin said.

“Wait, Corbin,” Giles implored. “I’ve been thinking, and I’d like to offer you the security of my pack as well. It’s unusual, but not unheard of, to have a human pack member. You’ve earned the right, and honestly, it would be an honor for me to extend my protection to you.”

Corbin looked stunned, and so did the other guys. Asa guessed asking a regular human to be a member of a shifter pack was a much bigger deal than Giles passed it off as.

“Wh-what would that mean for me?” Corbin asked.

“It would mean my family would become your family. We look out for our own. You would never be on your own again. There will always be people you can rely on. Regardless of whether you say yes or no, I’ll still ensure you have the support you need to rebuild your ranch. If you want to make your dream of having an event venue and rodeo area built, we’ll make it happen.”

Corbin’s eyes flitted around the room. His expression was guarded and shrouded with disbelief. The moment it struck him that this was real was reflected in the broad grin that stretched from ear to ear. “Alright. I accept your offer. It would make me proud to be a member of this pack.”

Giles smiled. “Good. We’ll meet in my office in fifteen.”

Jorge, Zev, and Ben headed toward the guest suites while Asa and Caleb topped off their coffees and headed with Corbin to Giles’ office.

Asa wasn’t sure what to expect, and once they were settled in chairs waiting for the others, he asked, "What do we need to do?"

The Alpha looked him in the eyes. “You’ll need to recite the pack creed, pledge your undying loyalty for all eternity, promise to sacrifice your firstborn if it’s born during a full moon, let me slice open your neck to draw blood and mark you as a member of my pack, scarring you for life, and, oh yeah, learn the secret handshake.” Giles deadpanned.

Caleb snorted while Corbin paled slightly. Asa couldn’t help laughing.

Giles chuckled and fessed up. “Fine. It’s pretty simple. Most packs have a similar ritual. I’ll ask you if you willingly wish to belong to the pack and are willing to defend it. Then I’ll make a small nick at the base of your throat, just enough to draw a drop or two of blood before licking the wound to close it.”

“Why do you need to lick it?” asked Corbin, his face screwed up like he just sucked on a lemon.

“It’s how my wolf will imprint you. The scent and taste of your blood will be forever ingrained within his senses, and he will always recognize you as one of his.”

“Oh.” Corbin’s apprehension melted into nervous curiosity.

Jorge, Zev, and Ben arrived, interrupting the explanation. Giles got everyone settled and asked if anyone had any other questions. Glancing around, everyone remained silent, so he continued.

Asa, Caleb, and Corbin stood in front of Giles while he asked each of them, in turn, if they willingly accepted him as Alpha and wanted to become members of his pack. Three firm yesses responded. One by one, they pledged their loyalty and promised to defend their new pack. Then, Giles extended a sharp claw, made a swift swipe across the base of each man’s throat, and quickly swiped his tongue across the bead of blood that dotted the skin. The wounds closed instantly.

Caleb was last, and Asa noticed that Giles rested his head against the other Alpha for a moment and whispered something to him. Asa watched as Caleb’s chin dipped slightly and squeezed his eyes shut.

“Congratulations you guys!” Zev exclaimed, interrupting the moment and pulling them in for a hug. Everyone crowded in, echoing their sentiments with an enthusiastic group embrace.

“Welcome to the pack,” said Jorge as he threw his arms around the huddle. “Mikey will be thrilled she’s got more people to feed.”

Ideally, they would have spent the evening rejoicing with their new pack members, but the celebration was cut short.

“I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but we’ve got work to do,” Giles pointed out. “Jorge, I’d like you to take Zev and Ben on a tour of the ranch so they can get a feel for the security we already have. Caleb, you can take one of the ranch trucks over to Corbin’s until you have time to get yours. I’ve got some calls to make. Let me know how things go with the insurance guy.”

Asa turned in his seat as Caleb drove them to Corbin’s place. “So, what do you think of being part of a shifter pack?”

Corbin leaned forward and replied, “It’s fucking surreal, is what it is. I still can’t believe this is my life.”

They chatted about the turn of events as they drove the dusty highway, turning down the equally dusty lane leading to what was once Corbin’s home. The smell of burnt wood and plastic hung thick around them as soon as they exited the truck. Caleb sneezed. Asa could sense his wolf bristling.

Nothing remained of the house but the charred remnants of timbers, broken and blackened windowpanes, and globs of melted plastic and twisted metal. Very few items were recognizable. The old claw-foot tub that had been the centerpiece of Corbin’s master bathroom was now a warped piece of metal in the middle of a pile of rubble. Fragments of burnt clothing tumbled across the yard in the breeze.

The barn didn’t fare any better. The metal from the cages that once held Ashton and Austin was now contorted and melted into bizarre sculptures belonging to a museum for oddities and curiosities.

In the distance, cattle were grazing in the far fields. Corbin, like many other landowners, leased his property to cattle owners. He got a hefty tax write-off each year for allowing the animals to graze.

They stopped poking around when they noticed a white sedan coming up the lane. Asa figured by the time it got to the main yard, it wouldn’t be very white anymore. He was right. A woman in her mid-thirties exited the dusty vehicle and gingerly approached them in very impractical high heels. She picked her way across the rutted yard as though she were stepping through a field of landmines.

Asa avoided looking at Caleb, knowing he would laugh if he did. This chick looked like she had a stick up her ass, and not in a fun way. Prim and proper was too straight-laced of a description for her. Straight-up spawn of Emily Post was more like it.

As she walked toward them, he caught her scent, which lacked the distinct smell that all shifters carried. The lack of the identifying odor indicated she was human unless she was somehow masking it. A quick glance at Caleb, who subtly nodded, confirmed it.

When she was within a few feet, she regarded the three of them and inquired, “Mr. Taylor?”

Corbin cleared his throat. “Uh, that would be me.”

She looked him up and down as if he were a piece of dirty laundry waiting to get thrown in the washer.

“Hmm, yes. I’m Ms. Jeffries, your adjuster,” she said primly, handing him a business card. Looking around, she pulled a tablet from the oversized bag hanging from her shoulder. Turning it on, she tapped the screen a few times, presumably logging in or whatever, then held it up and started taking pictures. Occasionally, she would ask Corbin what a particular thing was that she was looking at.

Despite her stick-in-the-mud attitude, she did a thorough job of documenting everything. In addition to dozens of pictures, she took videos, carefully walking through debris as though her life depended on it. For the life of it, Asa couldn’t fathom why she didn’t wear more sensible footwear. Hell, even sneakers would have been better than the heels she sported.

Ms. Jeffries spent nearly an hour detailing and cataloging all the damage and asking Corbin questions. A few times, Caleb stopped him from answering, telling her she should refer to the police report for the information. Asa didn’t miss the look of relief on Corbin’s face. He couldn’t imagine the stress their friend must be feeling. Losing your home to arson and then having the police investigate, as well as the insurance company, had to be nerve-wracking.

Finally, she was finished and handed him some material from her mega-satchel. “Thank you for your time. I’ll forward the photos and videos to the team handling your case. You’ll be notified if they need anything else.”

“Thank you, Ms. Jeffries. Do you know how long these types of claims typically take?” Corbin asked.

“If they don’t need any more information and there are no unusual discoveries, the process can take six to eight weeks. Of course, all circumstances are different.”

“Of course,” Caleb parroted, grinning placatingly.

Asa lifted his hand to hide his smirk.

“Is Corbin able to get a crew in here to start removing the debris, or does he have to wait for the claim to be processed?” Caleb asked.

“If Mr. Taylor wishes to proceed at his own expense, he may do so. If his claim is approved, he will be issued a check. If it’s denied, then he’ll at least have a start on rebuilding.”

“Denied?” Caleb said incredulously. “You mean, if it gets denied, he will get a lawyer and appeal until your company pays him what he’s owed.”

A low growl, barely audible to the human ear but felt nonetheless, reverberated through the air. Ms. Jefferies’ hands shook as she hurriedly fished her keys from her bag.

Corbin shot Caleb a shut-up look. “Let me walk you to your car.” He escorted Ms. Jeffries to her vehicle and opened the door for her, shutting it with a soft thunk once she was behind the wheel. They watched as she disappeared in a cloud of dust.

“I think she pissed herself.” Corbin laughed.

“Serves her right,” Caleb retorted. “Implying that you might get denied? Goddamn insurance companies. They take our money with no problem every month, but when it’s time to pony up and pay out, it’s another story, and they’ll make up excuses not to cut a check.”

“Easy, big guy.” Asa patted Caleb’s chest. “Don’t break a blood vessel. I need you in top shape if we’re gonna get working on this cleanup.”

“What do you two have up your sleeves?” Corbin inquired.

“My mate doesn’t have to start running all over the county again for another week,” Caleb said. “Jorge has things covered at the ranch with Zev and Ben and security. I figured we’d get some dumpsters out here, get a crew going, and clean up this mess. Then you can decide what you want to do with the place. If you still have your heart set on a rodeo arena, I’ve got experience arranging big events and can give you some advice if you’d like.”

A huge grin nearly split Corbin’s face in two. “Do you mean it?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then let’s get back to the ranch and see what we can come up with.”

Asa couldn’t help feeling proud of how far his mate had come. Whatever it took to keep him happy, he was all for it. It delighted him to see Caleb so involved with life again. It was a far cry from where he’d been a few months ago. His heart swelled with love as he listened to Caleb and Corbin bounce ideas back and forth on the ride back to the ranch.

The boys are home and everything is calm. Hehehe.
Copyright © 2023 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 63
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 7
Thanks to everyone who stuck it out throughout this series. Don't forget to recommend and leave a review! 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..