Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,099 Words
  • 3,951 Views
  • 181 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Light at the End of the Tunnel - 12. Chapter 12

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Staring at the visage in the mirror, Caleb reached toward the image as if to verify it was real. The face looking back was someone he hadn’t seen in a long time. It was an edited version of himself, and the changes were for the better. The realization of how far he had come in the last year and a half sank in. Caleb smiled. His reflection smiled back.

“That’s a good look on you.”

Turning around, he smiled brighter as Asa stepped into his personal space. Caleb wrapped his arms around his mate, buried his nose in his neck, and allowed the familiar scent to settle over him like a warm blanket.

“Thanks. I’m still getting used to it.”

Asa pulled back to kiss Caleb. “Are you ready for this meeting?”

“I guess. I still don’t know why Sebastian wants us there. I’m not part of this pack anymore.”

“Maybe it’s because he sees you as worthy of being there.”

“Maybe.”

Asa slipped his hand into Caleb’s and tugged, pulling him toward the door. “Only way to find out is to get our asses moving.”

“There are better things I’d like to do with our asses.”

His mate laughed and gave him a light shove over the threshold, closing the door behind them. It was a brief walk down the hall. Sunlight streamed through the windows, leading the way to the main living room.

Sebastian nodded as they entered. The lines around the Alpha’s eyes were crinkled, and dark circles smudged the skin beneath his eyes. Reilly stood next to him, his face drawn tight with worry. Caleb and Asa chose a seat on an old leather loveseat close to the fire. On the other side of the room, on the large sectional, were Hunter and Kellan, plus Elijah, Tyler, and the twins. He was pleased to see them wearing their mating marks like badges of honor.

Absentmindedly, he rubbed his own mark, proud it belonged to Asa.

Wayne, Donovan, and Jack Porter rounded out the small group. A young girl sat off to the side near the door. Sebastian introduced her as Enya. It took a few seconds for it to click. She was the fire shifter Zev mentioned.

“Ben and Zev went to get Rosalie and Silas,” Sebastian said, filling in the blank as to why the duo was absent. “They should be back shortly.”

Not long after, Ben held the front door open, allowing the older shifters inside. The pair seemed frailer. He noticed Zev hovering behind them, his hands ready to steady one or the other should they falter.

He blinked rapidly as it struck him that Silas, the man who’d been such a stalwart part of his entire life, would eventually not be there anymore. Is this what happened when you were separated from those you loved? Would he someday open a door and discover Vann, all grown up with a family of his own, a total stranger to him? The thought didn’t sit well.

Gentle pressure from Asa’s thigh pressing on his leg brought him back to the present. The light shifter’s eyes said it all. Are you okay? Caleb picked up his mate’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Once Rosalie and Silas were comfortable, Ben and Zev settled themselves on the remaining loveseat.

Sebastian cleared his throat. “Thank you all for coming. In light of recent developments, I felt it necessary to get everyone together for a couple of different reasons.” The Alpha turned to Caleb and Asa. “First. I want you and everyone else to know you will always have a place in this pack if you choose to stay. I am truly sorry for how things unfolded. I wish I had dug deeper–”

Caleb stood and held up a hand to stop Sebastian from saying anything else. “Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me. And please, don’t be sorry for what happened. I’ve told you it wasn’t your fault, and you had no way of knowing. Asa and I will stay for however long it takes to heal the hybrids. After, we’ll return to Texas. I don’t belong here anymore. My place is with my mate, and his place is in Texas.”

Though his face was stoic, Sebastian’s eyes flickered with disappointment. “I understand. It won’t stop me from trying to change your mind.”

Caleb chuckled, warmed by the words. “I expect nothing less.”

The second thing the Alpha did was recap everything that had happened regarding Huntington since Caleb had been gone. While he was shocked to learn the vile lion shifter was stealthily amassing an army in Russia's far eastern wild terrain, he was also surprised to learn they had the support of a Fae prince. He never imagined a link like Sebastian and Elijah established between the shifter and Fae worlds.

“Our latest intel from Lex shows signs of more activity,” Sebastian said. “His best guess is that Huntington has close to two hundred followers with him. We’re keeping a close eye on that area.”

“So, what are our next steps?” Donovan asked.

“Lex is going to get more detailed imaging,” replied Sebastian. “At this stage, it’s foolish to launch an offensive attack. We know nothing about the terrain or any of Huntington’s defenses. So for now, we wait and gather as much information as possible.”

“We need someone on the ground in Russia,” Hunter stated.

“It’s too risky,” countered Sebastian. “Lex’s intel says that Huntington is practically hand-picking recruits himself. That would explain why it’s taking so long to build his army. He would identify anyone we tried to place in there. I’ve been in contact with Cassiel. The Fae have provided more protection as promised. The outer boundaries of our territory have dryads in place to keep watch. They’re our first line of defense.”

“I was wondering if that was what I sensed when we took Tyler’s wolf for a run,” Elijah commented.

Sebastian frowned. “That’s not good if you picked up on them.”

Elijah shook his head. “Oh, don’t worry. I only noticed because I knew they were supposed to be there. Even then, I wasn’t sure.”

Caleb didn’t miss the sigh of relief the Alpha tried to cut short. He imagined the man was under an enormous burden, tasked with ensuring the safety of the pack while at the same time plotting to bring down one of the evilest shifters in history. It was a job he didn’t envy.

“Anyway,” Sebastian said. “We’re going to step up our combat training. Wayne, that will be your sole focus. I’ve spoken to Logan and Cooper, who will be at your disposal.”

“What can we do to help?” Austin asked.

“As you know, we have a lot of families bringing their pups here so Asa can heal them. The lodge will be very busy. It will be a challenge having visitors while under threat of attack, but it can’t be helped. We'll try to minimize the time they spend here as long as it doesn't jeopardize their health but I’m not willing to make the pups wait any longer. If you could help make them comfortable, I would appreciate it.”

“Sure,” Ashton agreed. “Austin and I will make ourselves available to answer any questions. I’m sure many of them will be scared, and we’ll do our best to put them at ease.”

Caleb watched the exchange between the Alpha and the twins with gratitude. Every interaction he had seen so far demonstrated that Sebastian was the perfect fit for his former pack. He observed as the man seamlessly organized his crew, delegating tasks and giving clear-cut instructions as to what needed to be done.

“Hunter, you and Kellan will get the word out to all the outlying ranches—they need to ensure their properties are prepared for an attack or be ready to bug out at a moment’s notice. We’ll also need to stock up on nonperishables. Get with Sandi and put a list together.”

“May I make a suggestion?” Caleb asked.

Sebastian nodded, a flicker of a smile pulled at the corner of his mouth.

“Ask a few ranchers on the other side of the east pass if they’ll move some of their herds to the meadows on this side of the mountain. It’ll give you a supply of fresh beef close by. They normally sell off a portion of their stock this time of year anyway. I’m sure you can offer a fair price.”

Asa beamed and nudged him with an elbow. Caleb suppressed the urge to squirm as he felt heat rise and his neck and cheeks reddened.

“Thank you, Caleb. That’s a fantastic idea.” Sebastian added it to his Beta’s to-do list.

“What timeframe do you think we’re looking at for Huntington to make a move?” Reilly asked.

“Ideally, I’d like to think six to eight months,” Sebastian replied. “Realistically, we need to be ready in one or two. Cassiel indicated Huntington wants close to three hundred in his attack force. From Lex’s intel, he’ll reach those numbers sooner rather than later. Plus, I doubt he’ll wait until fall. Huntington’ll want the weather on his side. He’s not going to risk getting caught in an early snowstorm.”

Caleb nodded. Snowfall in September wasn’t unheard of. “Any chance this won’t turn into an epic battle?”

Sebastian pinned him with his stare. “No.”

A heavy silence followed as they contemplated the reality of going up against a force as strong as the one Huntington was assembling. Sebastian’s pack may have numbered six hundred, but most of those were too old, too young, or not able to fight. They would be lucky to match Huntington’s numbers in able-bodied fighters. Casualties would be a given—they always were.

“I’m fortunate this pack is so allegiant,” Sebastian stated. “I’m humbled at the loyalty they’ve shown me.” He turned to Caleb and gave a slight nod of his head. “I credit you for that. You built this pack into what it is today. I owe you a debt of gratitude.”

Caleb cast his eyes down for a second. For the second time today, he could feel the heat rising in his face and knew his cheeks must be fire-engine red. He didn’t allow himself more than a brief moment of embarrassment before raising his head high and looking at Sebastian. He tilted his head as a gesture of respect before saying, “Thank you. I tried to take care of this pack the way my father did. He was a great man and well-respected. I only wish I could have been half the Alpha he was.”

Sebastian started to speak, but Reilly butted in. “Caleb, I’m sure your father would be proud of you despite everything that happened. You were poisoned. Even though it was wrong, your actions came from a place of goodness inside you. You tried to protect what was yours. There’s not an evil bone in your body. You could have ruined this pack, but you didn’t. Don’t think attacking Nichols and bringing him down when he tried to blindside Sebastian didn’t go unnoticed.”

The praise didn’t make the redness in Caleb’s face fade. He wanted to refute Reilly’s claim, but instead, he merely nodded.

A moment of silence followed before Sebastian cleared his throat. “Asa, are you ready to start working with the hybrids?”

“Yes. If it’s okay with Donovan, I’d like to start tomorrow. It will be a matter of trial and error before I know my limits. I’d like to say I can heal ten a day, but realistically, I won’t know until I start. It could be one a week.”

“Let’s hope it’s more than that,” Donovan joked. “Whenever you want to start is fine by me. I’ve already prioritized the pups based on their level of need. There are a few who can barely function independently with the physical limitations they have. Michael and Lynn will be here tomorrow night with Miles. He’s had a rough go of things and will be one of the first ones I schedule.”

Caleb nodded. He and Asa had several discussions regarding how they wanted to approach the pups’ healing. They still didn’t know how their mate bond would affect the process.

“I’d like to help.”

All eyes turned to the young fire shifter, Enya.

Asa seemed to weigh her offer. “I’m not sure what you can do, but I’m open to suggestions.”

Enya regarded Asa warily. Caleb got the impression she didn’t trust easily.

“The hybrids know I can detect lies. I have difficulty telling them, too. If I’m there when you explain the process, it may help ease their anxiety, which may help make things easier for you.”

She had a point, one which Asa immediately realized. “Okay,” he replied. “It can’t hurt. But you have to follow my directions just like everyone else. I won’t risk harming anyone because someone doesn’t listen. Understood?”

Enya nodded.

“Alright. Donovan, why don’t we plan on starting right after an early breakfast? Caleb and I will meet you in the sunroom. Notify whoever is first on your list. I’d like a copy of it and their medical records. I have to know what I’m dealing with.”

“Of course,” the doctor agreed. “I’ll make sure you have everything this afternoon.”

Sebastian had nothing else for them, and the meeting broke up. As he and Asa were about to return to their suite, Enya placed a hand on Caleb's arm and stopped them.

“You need to tell him the truth.”

Caleb frowned, not understanding. “Tell who the truth?”

“Vann.”

His eyes widened as he sucked in a sharp breath. Guilt speared his chest.

“He should know, that’s all.” Enya turned on her heel and left without another word.

Asa pulled him in close. “Hey, don’t stress over this.”

Caleb rested his cheek against Asa’s soft hair. “She’s right. He does deserve to know. I’ve been a coward where he’s concerned.”m

On their first day back, Reilly pulled him aside and told him Vann would be staying at the lodge while he and Asa were there unless Caleb said otherwise. They told Vann it would be more convenient for Asa if the visiting pups and their families could stay at the main house. He considerately agreed to stay with Wayne and Sandi at the lodge. Deep down, Caleb was glad. He wasn’t ready to face his son yet.

Asa pulled back to look directly into his eyes. “Right or wrong, it’s not up to her to decide if or when to tell Vann. That’s your decision. You are the only one who should decide when the time is right.”

“Do you agree with her? That Vann deserves to know?”

“I think you deserve the opportunity to know your son as his father, not as his former Alpha.”

Caleb chewed on that for a moment before replying, “You’re right. I hate that, you know.” He gave Asa a look that totally contradicted his words. There was nothing about his mate he could ever hate.

Asa grinned triumphantly. “You know what else I’m right about?”

Rolling his eyes, Caleb took the bait. “What?”

“You wanting your dick down my throat.”

Gah! He loved that Asa had just as much of a dirty mouth as he did. Instead of answering, he grabbed Asa’s hand and practically dragged him back to the suite. As soon as the door swung shut, he turned the lock and then unzipped his jeans.

“What are you waiting for?” he growled.

Asa sank to his knees and smirked up at him, then sat back on his heels. Goddamn tease. “How ‘bout a please?

“You are so so fucking cheeky.”

“And you love it.”

“I’d love my cock jammed down the back of your throat. Please.”

There was nothing sexier than the sight of Asa throwing his head back with a laugh before bringing his mouth right to the tip of Caleb’s leaking head. A soft breath whispered across the crown before those perfect lips opened wide and swallowed him whole. Fuucckk!

Caleb threaded his fingers through Asa’s hair and pushed forward. “That’s it, baby. Suck me down.”

Asa’s throat tightened before he swallowed, allowing Caleb’s dick to slip in further. Oh hell, he wasn’t going to last. It took every ounce of control not to squeeze his eyes shut and let go. Instead, he watched as his cock disappeared into Asa’s talented mouth.

He face-fucked his mate, knowing he could take it. “Gonna come. Gonna shoot straight down your throat, and you’re gonna take every drop. Don’t you dare let any slip out.”

His mate hummed his agreement, the vibrations causing Caleb’s balls to draw up tight. He tried to bite back a curse and failed. “Sonofabitch!”

Asa doubled down, and Caleb shouted his name as his nuts burst, emptying their load in solid pulses. His mate’s throat milked him rapidly as every drop slid down as promised. When the last spasm abated, Asa pulled off and stood up. As they came face to face, his mouth opened to reveal one last drop of cum lingering on his tongue.

Caleb’s wolf snarled with satisfaction as Asa fused their lips together and deposited the remnant of spunk on Caleb’s tongue, forcing him to taste himself. Cheeky didn’t come close to describing his mate. Downright filthy was more like it.

Asa broke contact first, his shiny, wet lips curled upward with a shit-eating grin. “Come on. My balls need to be downloaded, and I know exactly where to put the contents.”

A hearty laugh broke free from Caleb. Its genuineness startled him. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt this pure joy.

By the following morning, Caleb’s joy and the pleasant reminder in his ass of their lovemaking still lingered. Outside, the morning sun rose above the tops of the trees. He and Asa walked hand-in-hand to the sunroom, which had been transformed into a mini-clinic.

“Were you able to get the information you need on the hybrids Donovan has lined up today?” he asked.

His mate’s grin was infectious as he answered, “Once you let me up for air, I was fine.”

Caleb chuckled. “Me? Let you up for air? Hmm, as I recall, you were the one who had me pinned to the mattress. More than once.”

Asa didn’t deny it, merely winking as he held open the door to the bright room. Caleb’s heart swelled with emotion for this man who’d become his whole world in such a short amount of time.

Once inside, he nodded at the two hybrids and their parents sitting in a shaded alcove. One of the men stood up and addressed Asa. “Are you the one Doc says can cure my boy?”

Caleb held his breath for the few heartbeats it took Asa to answer.

“I hope so. I’m Asa, and this is my mate, Caleb. He’ll be helping me.”

The man blushed and extended his hand. “I’m Arnold Broussard. This is my son, Theo, and my mate, Joanne.”

The boy clutched a stuffed animal as he leaned closer to his mother, burrowing his face into her side.

Arnold explained, “Doc said he put him at the top of the list because of the damage to his throat. He has trouble breathing and swallowing.”

Asa stepped over and dropped to one knee in front of the boy. “Hi, Theo. Who’s your friend?”

The boy looked down at his tattered stuffed dog, his big brown eyes wide with uncertainty. Before Asa could say anything else, the sunroom door opened, and Enya stepped in. Theo’s face lit up, and a soft, creaky noise escaped his throat.

“Hey, T! Hey, Johnny!” Enya greeted both youngsters with enthusiasm not given to adults.

The other man stood and introduced himself and his mate as Ron and Grace Tillman. Their son, Johnny, was as shy as Theo. It was then that Caleb realized Johnny was in a wheelchair. His legs were so misshapen there was no way he could walk.

Enya gave the adults a polite nod before refocusing her attention on the two boys. They relaxed in her presence. Caleb wasn’t sure what to make of her.

Donovan joined them a moment later and approached Asa. “This is your show. How would you like to proceed?”

Caleb watched in awe as his mate took charge. He had a frank discussion with the parents and boys, explaining what would happen and the non-negotiable requirement that no one could interfere. The two couples weren’t happy about not being allowed to be with their sons, but Asa wouldn’t budge. The last thing he needed was some emotional parent sacking him like a defensive lineman taking down a quarterback.

His mate patiently answered their questions, even the ones Johnny painstakingly typed out on his tablet, poking at the surface with gnarled and twisted fingers.

It was Theo who threw the hardball. “How do we know you won’t do more experiments on us?” Arnold read aloud when his son handed him the tablet.

Asa dropped to one knee, so he was at eye-level with the boy. “I promise I won’t.”

Enya reached over and gently stroked Theo’s deformed fingers. “He’s telling the truth.”

She may not have been a person of many words, but the ones she spoke made an impact. Both boys nodded, obviously trusting her. Caleb didn’t know her story, but it was easy to see she had an established rapport with the kids.

Asa shot her a look of gratitude. “Okay, who’s going first?”

“I’ve scheduled Theo first,” Donovan replied.

Still kneeling, Asa smiled and said, “It’s okay to be scared. Do you want to bring your dog with you?”

Caleb’s chest tightened as Theo gave Asa a hesitant smile and nodded. Asa stood and extended his hand, then waited patiently as Theo’s mom kissed him and fussed with a wayward lock of hair. His dad dropped a kiss on top of the boy’s head, and the look he gave Asa couldn’t be interpreted as anything else. Take care of him.

His mate dipped his chin once in acknowledgment, then guided the boy toward Donovan. Caleb followed silently, wishing he could ease the parents’ minds.

Donovan escorted everyone back to the main living room, where Reilly would help them get through the wait.

“Okay, Theo,” Asa said. “Here’s what’s going to happen. I’m going to help you get up on the table there so I can reach everything. There’s a lot I need to fix, but I want you to be comfortable with everything I do. I’ll give you choices when I can. But first, I want to fix your vocal cords so you can talk. Is that okay?”

Caleb’s heart broke as the poor kid shook but managed to nod.

Earlier, Asa decided it would be best if the pups were lying down when he attempted to heal them. Unlike the twins, who were fully grown, most of the pups were adolescents. According to the medical records he reviewed, some had issues that were localized, like Theo’s throat, and would be easier to treat if the pup were lying down. Donovan set up a portable exam table for him.

“Good. Donovan is right here if we need him. My mate will help keep my energy level where it should be. Are you ready to start?”

Theo took a deep breath and blew it out in one great puff. He clutched his stuffed dog and nodded.

The air around them hummed the instant Asa touched Theo’s throat. The boy jerked but didn’t break contact. There was a crunching sound as various pieces reformed. Soon, a whimper broke free. Theo’s eyes were scrunched tightly closed, and he had a death grip on his dog.

Caleb was awe-struck, watching his mate manipulate the energy surrounding them. Like with the twins, Asa glowed from within, an almost ethereal halo encompassing his entire body. Was this what he looked like when he had healed him? Glancing at Donovan, the doctor’s eyes were comically wide.

Several minutes ticked by before Asa was satisfied that nothing else needed to be done to Theo’s throat. Stepping back, he took a calming breath. “Can you try to say something, Theo?”

Theo’s lips moved, but no sound came out. Donovan handed him a small paper cup with water. “Just a sip or two,” he instructed.

The boy complied, and when he tried again, they heard a soft, “Hi.”

Asa grinned triumphantly. Caleb drew him close and kissed his temple.

They were off to a very good start.

Let the healing begin....
Copyright © 2023 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 78
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Thanks to everyone who stuck it out throughout this series. Don't forget to recommend and leave a review! 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..