Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 2,068 Words
  • 1,412 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mr. Anonymous - 9. You Sank My Battleship

Chapter 9

Rocket didn’t press for more information and Percy was relieved. For him it was a big step just coming out to someone. Not only was she an employee, but a close friendship had formed between them since he hired her right out of college almost four years ago.

She sat on the end of the bed while he ate his breakfast. They both sat for several long minutes in silence. Percy was uncomfortable with his revelation and was glad when she suddenly started to talk. Rocket steered the topic towards casual conversations like the weather and what new movies they could watch.

Agreeing science-fiction was the best choice for a cold rainy day, they settled in to watch a classic, black and white version of Godzilla.

“Good news, the rain has stopped,” Rocket cheerfully announced when the closing credits started rolling.

Percy glanced passed her and out the window. The sun was trying to peek through the clouds. Spots of blue sky were visible outside Percy’s high-rise apartment building.

“I hate that you have to give up your Saturday for me. Why don’t you go on and head home?” The words were barely out when Rocket started to protest.

“Not a chance, Percy Giannopoulos! The hospital said someone has to stay with you,” a coy smile crossed her face, “unless you want to get rid of me so you can have your boyfriend come babysit you. You dirty boy,” she teased him.

Percy rolled his eyes. He was anxious to talk to Max. The last thing he wanted was for the man to think he was avoiding him, but he couldn’t explain their relationship to Rocket. How could he tell her he was acting like a love-sick schoolboy over a man he had never met? He just wasn’t ready to share too much about Max, not yet.

“Well, if you’re spending another night here, don’t you need to go home to get some things? It’s not like I have tampons and nail polish remover here.”

She let out a squeal of laughter and playfully smacked his good arm. “Tampons? Oh my lord,” Rocket said between giggles. “One of the benefits of owning a car in the city, I ran by my place this morning while waiting for the pharmacy to fill your medicine. I was there and back in minutes, and I packed everything I would need, just in case you needed me to stay until Monday.”

“Monday?” Percy looked surprised.

“Yes, Monday. I figured you would need a ride to work and that keeps you from having to take a cab.”

He hadn’t thought about work or how difficult it was going to be to manage things around the house by himself. “Okay, you can stay, but only on one condition.”

Rocket’s eyebrows arched, waiting to hear his demands.

“You’re making me lasagna for dinner.”

She smiled. His request was reasonable. Percy had raved about the dish she had brought for their annual potluck luncheon at work, and had been asking her for weeks to make it again.

“That’s doable, but I’ll have to run back out to the market to get some ingredients.”

Percy smiled. He knew she would. If she was going to be staying in his home for the next few days, he needed to figure out a way to talk to Max while she was here.

* * * *

As soon as the front door closed, Percy got on his computer.

New Message: Good morning, sleepy head. If you are still in dreamland, I hope you’re at least thinking about me. I have some errands to run then I’m heading to the gym. I should be home around 3pm. Until then, Max.

A wave of guilt rolled through Percy. Noticing the time on the message, he would have still been asleep when Max sent it, but it was someone else he’d been dreaming about. “Come on, man, get a grip. Having erotic fantasies about another man does not qualify as cheating,” he convinced himself.

Percy debated if he should send Max a message now, letting him know he had a houseguest, or just wait until he could actually talk to him and explain the situation. He hated having to wait. He wanted to talk to him right now, but at least it wouldn’t be too long since Max said he would be back in less than an hour from now. The only problem was Rocket would also be home around the same time.

* * * *

Max: G-3

Binx: Crap! You sank my battleship!

Percy chuckled as he shook his head while reviewing the scores for the latest round of their game. It was like Max anticipated every one of his moves before Percy even made it and counteracted. A shiver ran up his spine wondering if Max would be as formidable of an opponent in the bedroom as he was on the imaginary battlefield.

Max: All right, babe, say it! I beat you fair and square. You bellyached over 2 out of 3 which turned into the best out of 5…now say it!

Percy paused. He knew Max was laughing on the other side of the screen. He might have won, but Percy was going to make him wait at least a few more seconds.

Max: Hmmm?

Binx: Jeez…You’re the man!

Max: Oh no, don’t be a sore loser. Besides, there are other games I will gladly let you win.

Percy’s pulse started to race. They’d spent the last two days in playful conversation, tiptoeing around the sexual tension hanging between them. Max understood when Percy explained he had a houseguest for the weekend, but both men were disappointed their plans had fallen through, yet again.

“Did he kick your butt again?” Rocket asked from the couch.

“Yep.” Percy gave her a lopsided grin.

“I have never seen you this happy before. If you want, I can disappear into the spare bedroom and leave you guys alone for a while.” She waggled her eyebrows for emphasis, just in case he didn’t know what she was proposing.

“Nope, not a chance,” he quickly answered as his face flushed pink with embarrassment. “I’d forgotten how paper-thin these walls were until I heard you snoring in the bedroom when you were supposed to be watching The Lord of the Rings. It’s one thing to chat online with Max but that,” he couldn’t even say the word, “…that is totally out of the question!” Percy stated it a little too forcefully, which only made Rocket laugh even harder.

“You’re such a prude,” she said covering her mouth, mocking his outrage

Max: What? Is Rocket giving you a hard time, too?

Binx: Hey, I don’t need both of you ganging up on me.

Max: She sounds like a great friend and all, but tell her that you’re off limits!

Now, Percy broke into chest rumbling laugher. It made him gasp for air as his injured ribs ached and felt like they were going to split his sides open. “Oh my goodness,” he moaned between alternating fits of laugher and pain. “You two are going to kill me.”

“Out of the way, scaredy cat.” Rocket pushed past him and typed: Believe me Max, you can have him. He might be gorgeous, but he’s a total pain in the ass!

As soon as she hit enter, Percy’s eyes opened wide.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Percy demanded.

Max: Well, I certainly hope to find out. LOL

Binx: OMG…both of you are not right in the head.

Max: Binx, I’ve had such a great weekend. It didn’t turn out as I had expected, but it was still really nice. I hate to go, but I have a really early day tomorrow.

Percy’s shoulders sagged. He had a busy day tomorrow, too, yet he wasn’t ready to let Max go. The last thing he wanted was to keep Max awake when he needed to get some sleep. As much as he hated to do it, he typed out a quick good night and then turned the computer off.

Easing down on the couch, Percy propped his feet on Rocket’s leg while he scratched at the bandages securing his injured ribs. Rocket muted the television when she noticed the long look on his face.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

He contemplated what he was feeling. How could Percy explain that, while he was crazy for Max, he still kept thinking about Mr. Too-Close? Tapping his bare feet against her, he mumbled, “It’s complicated.”

“Well, then, uncomplicate it,” Rocket told him as she smacked his feet away. “You could have invited Max over. I made plenty of food, and he was more than welcome to join us, vegging out on the couch and watching movies while you recover.”

Percy winced. He knew she was right, but there was so much more that he couldn’t explain to her.

* * * *

Rocket was ready to take the reins on the October issue of ThisIsMyCity.com, and it was time Percy let her prove she could do it. With the expansion guaranteed, Percy would not only have to hire new staff, but he would have to figure out how to distribute the members of his existing team.

Confident that Rocket had everything under control, Percy hailed a cab to head over to the medical complex connected to the hospital. His appointments were made before he was discharged from the hospital, so Percy didn’t have to do anything but show up.

After the doctor determined the stitches were healing nicely, but they would still need to remain in place for another week, Percy was sent upstairs for new X-rays before his visit with the orthopedic specialist about his broken bones.

“The chest wrap might help relieve your pain, but the compression over a long period of time isn’t good for the lungs,” Dr. Patel told Percy as he reviewed the X-rays with him. “The pain from the fractures should be getting better with each passing day, however, you still need to be careful not to overdo it once you start to feel better.”

Percy understood he would have to keep his arm in a sling until his next appointment, but unwrapping his chest felt good. He still had to control his breathing, but the new freedom made him feel more like himself.

Walking out of the doctor’s office, the sound of an ambulance caught Percy’s attention. It grew louder and louder as it got closer, causing an instant throbbing erection in his pants.

Red lights flashed as the rescue vehicle sped to the emergency room entrance, before the patient inside was quickly unloaded and rushed into the ER.

Percy stood there watching as the paramedics return to their ambulance with their empty stretcher. After loading it into the back, they rushed out onto the road, revealing three other ambulances parked farther down the road. His heart started racing at the thought of seeing Mr. Too-Close again.

It only took a second for him to turn on his heels and walk over to the hospital’s main entrance instead of heading towards the row of taxi cabs, waiting out in the parking lot.

“Excuse me,” Percy got the older woman’s attention. She glanced up from the registration desk and saw the bruises and stitches on his face.

“I was brought in by ambulance on Friday night and I wanted to thank the paramedics who helped me.” Percy was nervous, but he relaxed a little when the old woman smiled at him and nodded her gray head.

Grabbing a clipboard beside the telephone, she asked him, “Where were you transported from, darling?”

“Murrow Street.” Percy waited as she looked at a map of the city.

“That would be District 12 and you’re in luck, I just saw the boys from Company 5 heading down to the cafeteria a few minutes ago.” She pointed a bony finger down the hallway.

Percy’s eyes followed her direction. Percy really wanted to see Mr. Too-Close again, but he just wasn’t expecting it to be so soon. He was suddenly nervous.

What would Percy say to him? Worse yet, what would Mr. Too- Close think about him tracking him down? Percy’s pulse raced as he walked into the crowded hospital cafeteria, searching for the sexy paramedic who helped save his life just a few days ago.

 

Thanks for reading.
KC
Copyright © 2012 K.C.Grim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Thanks for checking out my story 😃
If you liked it, let me know!  I love to hear from readers.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think I see where you're going here....maybe. wacko.png I won't bother saying where seeing that you won't tell me anyway! lmaosmiley.gif

Rocket is a hoot. It's never dull when she's around....and she makes a mean lasagna too! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

Great chapter, KC! worshippy.gif

Link to comment

I'm very eager to see how Mr. Too Close will compare to Max! I wonder if there is a connection between the two.... As always, well-written and highly entertaining writing. Can't wait for the next chapter. thumbsup.gif

Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 11:55 AM, Conner said:
I think I see where you're going here....maybe. wacko.png I won't bother saying where seeing that you won't tell me anyway! lmaosmiley.gif

Rocket is a hoot. It's never dull when she's around....and she makes a mean lasagna too! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

 

Great chapter, KC! worshippy.gif

Haha Conner, you're right! :P You can guess but I can't confirm or deny anything. I really like Rocket too. She's so cool, I'm having such a good time with these characters and this story. I just hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am. :D
Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 01:19 PM, adamo said:
I'm very eager to see how Mr. Too Close will compare to Max! I wonder if there is a connection between the two.... As always, well-written and highly entertaining writing. Can't wait for the next chapter. thumbsup.gif
Thanks Adamo, I'm glad you like the chapter. Compare Max to Mr. Too-Close? :o Percy has a tough decision when it comes to these two!
Link to comment

I keep hoping that Max and Mr. Too Close are one in the same... I just can't decide who I like better :D Good chapter!

Link to comment

Yay! Another chapter! So very well written and most entertaining. You have a flair for revealing just enough info to keep us hooked, but wanting lots more. I am patiently waiting for more.

Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 04:02 PM, intune said:
I keep hoping that Max and Mr. Too Close are one in the same... I just can't decide who I like better :D Good chapter!
That would make Percy's decision way too easy...and I can make it easy on him :lol: I'm glad that you liked it, thanks for reading.
Link to comment
On 12/20/2011 10:09 PM, charlieocho said:
Yay! Another chapter! So very well written and most entertaining. You have a flair for revealing just enough info to keep us hooked, but wanting lots more. I am patiently waiting for more.
Yes, another chapter down, and I've written some more so I'll be able to post next week :P I'm glad you're still reading, now I better go write and figure out what is going to happen :D
Link to comment

I hate the feeling of Percy "cheating" on Max, so I'm hoping Mr.Too-Close and Max are one and the same! :)

 

I'm really surprised Percy went online with Max with Rocket right there. So she knows they talk online, but did Percy tell her they never met? I would think if she knew that she would push Percy to meet Max.

 

Ok, anxiously waiting for the next chapter KC!

 

Have a wonderful Chrismakkahkwanza, whatever you celebrate! =)

Link to comment
On 12/21/2011 04:20 AM, Lisa said:
I hate the feeling of Percy "cheating" on Max, so I'm hoping Mr.Too-Close and Max are one and the same! :)

 

I'm really surprised Percy went online with Max with Rocket right there. So she knows they talk online, but did Percy tell her they never met? I would think if she knew that she would push Percy to meet Max.

 

Ok, anxiously waiting for the next chapter KC!

 

Have a wonderful Chrismakkahkwanza, whatever you celebrate! =)

Hmmmm cheating...is it still cheating if you're just thinking and fantasizing about someone else??? OMG! I hope not! :P Rocket knows that Percy is 'seeing' Max but he hasn't told her that they have an exclusive online relationship. Before the accident he was ready to meet Max face to face but then Mr. Too-Close popped back in the picture...

 

 

Thanks for reading, Lisa and Happy Holidays to you too! :hug:

Link to comment

So he never told Max he got injured? I think he should have, it would have solved a lot of problems (that is if Max is also Mr. too close).

 

It´s nice to finally see that Percy has some (one?) friend. Rocket is definitely growing as a character (at least on me), but somehow I had imagined her a little older. Why is everyone in their twenties? It´s just not fair!dry.png

 

As for what I think about Percy’s new dilemma: well, I do like Mr. Too Close a lot, but Percy really should focus on what´s important. And chasing after random men, Mr. Too Close, whom he only ever has met accidentally by being bumped into and rescued after an accident while being more or less unconscious isn´t. He really has no idea whether Too Close is even gay, if he´s single or what. The way he reacted when Rocket mentioned how he could have had Max over while he recovered ought to be a big clue for him as to how he should prioritize. But then again this is fiction and in the best of worlds his two men are one and the same.biggrin.png

 

Also – Merry Christmas (and a Happy New Year)! Since I doubt you will manage another chapter before the weekend. And even if you could, you shouldn´t.

Link to comment
On 12/21/2011 08:39 AM, sorgbarn said:
So he never told Max he got injured? I think he should have, it would have solved a lot of problems (that is if Max is also Mr. too close).

 

It´s nice to finally see that Percy has some (one?) friend. Rocket is definitely growing as a character (at least on me), but somehow I had imagined her a little older. Why is everyone in their twenties? It´s just not fair!dry.png

 

As for what I think about Percy’s new dilemma: well, I do like Mr. Too Close a lot, but Percy really should focus on what´s important. And chasing after random men, Mr. Too Close, whom he only ever has met accidentally by being bumped into and rescued after an accident while being more or less unconscious isn´t. He really has no idea whether Too Close is even gay, if he´s single or what. The way he reacted when Rocket mentioned how he could have had Max over while he recovered ought to be a big clue for him as to how he should prioritize. But then again this is fiction and in the best of worlds his two men are one and the same.biggrin.png

 

Also – Merry Christmas (and a Happy New Year)! Since I doubt you will manage another chapter before the weekend. And even if you could, you shouldn´t.

Sorgbarn, your reviews always make me smile :D

 

I love Rocket, she's a good friend and Percy is slowly letting her in but still hasn't come to where he's told her everything. Now that brings us to Mr. Too-Close...have you ever seen someone and just thought 'what if'??

 

I have a chapter almost ready but I don't think I could get it up before next week. Somehow my in-laws think it's a good idea to come to our house for Christmas Eve leaving me and the hubby trying to make food without having to call poison control :P

Link to comment

Oh my KC, To me at any rate it is like cheating, the only hot dreams I have or want involve Stuby. Nobody else comes close.

I love Rocket what an awesome girl. She tickles me how laid back and easy going she is. And Max? well what can I say?

  • Cant stop I'm off to the next chappy :) Great work KC :hug:

Link to comment
On 01/04/2012 09:10 PM, Mark92 said:
Oh my KC, To me at any rate it is like cheating, the only hot dreams I have or want involve Stuby. Nobody else comes close.

I love Rocket what an awesome girl. She tickles me how laid back and easy going she is. And Max? well what can I say?

  • Cant stop I'm off to the next chappy :) Great work KC :hug:

It's a fine line, Marky, some people see it as cheating others don't...I'm glad you and Stu have that, if my hubby thought it was cheating I would be out on my... 0:)

 

Off to your next review :D

Link to comment
On 01/18/2012 04:21 PM, Frostina said:
methinks he is confuzzled! -_-

lets see what Mr. too close thinks! ;)

Haha...read on, darling!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..