Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 2,089 Words
  • 5,546 Views
  • 37 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mr. Anonymous - 1. Mr. Anonymous by KC Grim

p style="margin:0px 0px 0px;">

 
 

Mr. Anonymous

by K.C. Grim

Chapter 1

 

The Jumping Java was packed like it always was at this time of morning. It seems like the world was no longer capable of waking up and starting a new day without a fresh cup of coffee.

Percy waited patiently for his turn in line. With each completed order, the line automatically shifted forward two steps like the customers were standing on an invisible conveyer belt.

The two steps standard, no more and no less.

Everyone moved in perfect sync, except for the guy standing directly behind Percy.

This guy was just way too close. You know the kind, the one who stands closer than what would be considered socially acceptable, the person who invades someone else’s personal space without knowing they are even doing it. He was that sort of guy.

Percy wanted to glare at him. A quick, angry scowl over his shoulder would do the trick, but he didn’t. Instead, he tried to lean forward and scoot up a few inches, earning him a flirtatious grin from the woman in front of him.

“Great,” Percy muttered under his breath. Suddenly, when the next order was completed, Mr. Too-Close-For-Comfort shifted forward, but Ms. Lookie-Loo ahead of him didn’t budge, leaving Percy stuck in a very awkward position.

Today had started off great. Percy woke up feeling better than he had in forever. Actually, he couldn’t remember when he ever felt this good.

Last night, he finally got a response from the ad he’d placed online over a month ago. He was starting to think it had been a huge waste of time, because seriously, who in today’s age of Grinder for random hook-ups is just looking for someone to talk to? Nothing more, nothing less, just engaging conversation? Max, that’s who. MaxTheMagnificent, to be precise.

It was a long shot, placing his ad on Spuzzyboys.com between an ad for a sex slave and the dozens of listings for random hook-ups. Percy’s ad was simple: Looking to talk. That’s all it said and it took weeks for someone to finally answer.

Percy was starting to daydream about Max when the line moved forward and it was his turn to place his order. Following Jumping Java protocol, he placed his order, took two steps to the left, paid, and then took two more steps to receive his tall cup of piping hot coffee.

Coffee was Percy’s morning drug of choice, black with one sugar, not like some of those other froufrou drinks. All that other crap left less room for the caffeine, and that’s what it was all about in Percy’s opinion. How much caffeine could they squeeze into each cup? If it was possible, Percy would skip drinking it and shoot it straight into his veins like heroin.

The girl behind the counter shouted his drink order.

“Coffee, coffee, coffee.” Percy’s eyes lit up when he grabbed his drink. Turning on his heels to leave, he ran smack into Mr. Too-Close.

The unsecured lid popped off his cup when the guy’s hand swung up from the force of the impact. He caught the bottom of the cup, tossing it and the hot contents over the rim and across Percy’s dress shirt and tie.

Mr. Too-Close’s bright green eyes flashed wide with surprise at the sudden collision.

“Fuck, what’s wrong with you? Can’t you watch where the hell you’re going?” Percy immediately snapped at the guy, who was still stumbling backwards, arms flailing, desperately trying to catch his balance.

The buzzing conversation inside the coffee shop stopped as everyone paused to watch the confrontation unfold.

“Man, I’m really --” The guy struggled to apologize. His handsome face flushed red to the point his freckles almost disappeared, but Percy didn’t give him a chance to speak. His good mood was gone.

Mr. Too-Close was able to regain his posture just in time for Percy to push past him, stomping towards the door. He tossed his cup with the remaining few drops of liquid into the trash as he left the shop in a huff.

“What the hell is wrong with people?” He growled loud enough to frighten a young mother walking her child to school.

The woman grabbed her daughter’s hand and gave Percy a disapproving glare.

Couldn’t she see he was…he was…what? He was ranting like a lunatic? Percy stopped and looked around.

Normally, people would give him a friendly smile or a quick nod of their head as they passed by him, but not today. They darted around Percy, avoiding him and his foul mood.

Today, the early morning traffic was rushing through the streets like usual. The sky was still blue. People were busy, going about their business in the city, a place Percy loved, yet nobody made eye contact with him.

He was the angry man everyone pretended to ignore. The last thing he wanted was to be a jerk; however, that’s exactly how he was acting. He had yelled at that guy at the Jumping Java. Yes, the man deserved it too, but that wasn’t who Percy was.

Percy quickly made his way back to the coffee shop. It would only take a second to apologize to the guy, to buy a new cup of coffee, and then he could get his day back on track.

Scanning the customers for shaggy auburn hair, Mr. Too-Close was nowhere to be seen. He stood almost as tall as Percy, so he would have been easy to spot in the crowd. Percy checked the patrons sitting in the booths, no blue hoodie with faded jeans, no leather messenger bag, and no Mr. Too-Close.

“Well crap!” Percy muttered to the Gods who controlled fate.

The guy was gone. He had probably fled as soon as Percy barged out the door. Who would blame him? He’d been humiliated in front of everyone in the coffee shop. More than likely, Percy had ruining the man’s entire day.

Percy had a sudden pang of guilt. He really wanted to make it right and apologize to the man.

Thinking about the collision sent a shiver down his spine. That brief encounter was closer than he had been to another person in months, let alone a man, and such a good looking at that.

The warmth could still be felt where their thighs had barely touched. A stirring in his gut had him shifting his weight between his feet trying to calm the erection rising in his dress pants.

The wide-eyed look of shock that crossed the man’s face was etched in Percy’s mind. The guy was definitely attractive.

Freckles had always been Percy’s weakness and Mr. Too-Close’s nose and cheeks were peppered with them. They were the same soft shade as his hair and the thick brown ring outlining his iris, yet the center of his eye was the most amazing splash of green that Percy had ever seen. They were deep, sparkling pools of wonder.

Too bad Mr. Too-Close was gone. Percy would have liked to have a second look at those eyes.

 

                                                                                   * * * *

 

“Rocket,” Percy shouted across the office as soon as he entered the building. “Call down to Hewett’s and have John send up a new shirt and tie.”

Usually, the office secretary, Amanda would be the person he barked out orders to and as soon as his personal assistant heard his command, the clickity-clack of her patent leather stilettos could be heard from every department in the building.

“Percy Giannopoulos, just who do you think you are—” Her words froze in her mouth.

Percy’s coffee stained shirt and tie were hanging from his hands instead of on his body as he strolled towards his office. Thick black hair covered his wide chest. Rocket closed her mouth and swallowed the rest of her sentence.

Glancing up at her then back down at his bare chest, Percy smiled. At least it was early enough that the rest of the office wasn’t ogling his chest, but the few women who were present peeked out from behind cubicles and around doorways trying to catch a glimpse of the boss man, walking around half naked.

“Do I even want to know why you’re naked in the office? I mean, hey, you’re the head honcho and all, but really? Isn’t this a sexual harassment lawsuit just waiting to happen?” She nibbled on a bright purple lip, biting back a smile.

“Ha ha!” Sarcasm dripped from his fake laughter as he tossed the shirt and tie on the couch and walked inside his office.

“This guy ran into me at the Jumping Java and unless you want me going to the Beckwith meeting looking a mess and smelling like a barista, then I need you to get me a new shirt, pronto.”

Rocket sniffed the caffeine scented air before scrunching up her nose. “I’ll call John right away…” She hesitated at the door. “Your little mishap was a blessing in disguise because, honey, purple just isn’t your color.” Her ass swished back and forth as she walked out of his office.

Percy chuckled to himself. Rocket was the one person in the company who wasn’t afraid to speak her mind. Everyone else told him what they thought he wanted to hear. It was frustrating at times, but not with Rocket. That woman could shred a man with her perfectly polished nails, drop him like a quivering mess to his knees, then still give his ass a playful squeeze as he crawled away.

 

                                                                                                       * * * *

 

Thump! Rocket dropped the big white Hewett box on his desk. Percy jumped at the unexpected interruption. Without looking up, he knew she would have a smirk on her pretty face.

“Thank you,” Percy said pulling the lid off the box, but when she didn’t immediately walk away, he knew he had to look up at her.

The last thing Percy wanted to see was Rocket laughing at him, instead he found her looking annoyed, tapping her fingernails on a folder in her hand. It was labeled, Max proposal.

Percy’s pulse raced. “W-w-what is that?” He stuttered like a schoolboy.

Raising a flawless black brow, Rocket tried to hand him the file. “It’s what you wanted.”

Pulling his hands back, as if she was trying to hand him a live snake, he swallowed the lump in his throat and shook his head. “No, I don’t think so.”

Rocket eyed him suspiciously. “You’re acting really weird this morning, Percy. Yesterday, remember, you asked me to get the figures from the attorney and the accountants for the meeting today?”

Relief washed over him and he tried to avoid letting out a noticeable sigh. His mind was still thinking about MaxTheMagnificent from last night, not the maximum figures the office was preparing for the Beckwith meeting today.

Percy took a long, deep breath to calm his nerves.

The last thing he wanted was for someone to find out about his private life. Saying Percy was in the closet was an understatement. He was so far in the closet, he could change his address to Narnia.

“Oh, yeah, those figures.” He tried to keep his voice steady.

Rocket slid the file onto the corner of his desk beside the shirt box. “Mr. Beckwith called and asked to move today’s meeting from three-thirty to one o’clock, which means after your meeting the rest of your afternoon is now free.”

The thought of spending the afternoon chatting with Max had his heart racing. Stay calm, he warned himself. If he acted too giddy, Rocket would know something was up for sure.

“That’s cool. Is everything ready for the next deadline?” he casually asked, keeping his eyes focused on the pale gray dress shirt that matched his eyes.

When Rocket told him it was, Percy knew he could slip away without drawing suspicion. The idea made Percy want to burst with excitement.

Thanks for checking out my story! I hope you liked it!
Cheers!
K.C. 😉
Copyright © 2012 K.C.Grim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
Thanks for checking out my story 😃
If you liked it, let me know!  I love to hear from readers.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Liked the address change, but will have to read a few more chapters before I can weigh in on the story. I think I might like Rocket.

I guess now I'll just have to wait quietly and patiently for the next installment.

Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 01:35 PM, Swhouston44 said:
Liked the address change, but will have to read a few more chapters before I can weigh in on the story. I think I might like Rocket.

I guess now I'll just have to wait quietly and patiently for the next installment.

Thanks for giving it a try and hope you come back for more. I plan on trying to post once a week.
Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 02:15 PM, intune said:
I like stories with a good romance- and lots of coffee- in them. So, I can't wait to read more :)
:D Thanks Intune. I'm glad you liked the start. I'll try to keep a consistent posting schedule so you don't have to wait too long.
Link to comment

I am really intrigued to find out what happens here. A very cool first chapter KC looking forward to more :hug: And coffee too? I live on coffee, hot thick and muddy, sounds like me hahahahaha

Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 05:27 PM, Mark92 said:
I am really intrigued to find out what happens here. A very cool first chapter KC looking forward to more :hug: And coffee too? I live on coffee, hot thick and muddy, sounds like me hahahahaha
Glad that you like the start of this new story. It's a little differnt then what I normally write (trying to step outside of my box) Thanks for checking it out, Mark :hug:
Link to comment

Great starting chapter. I'm digging Percy already. He and I share a liking for coffee..I need as much caffine as possible, none of that decaf for me. Now what's going to be interesting is to see if we meet mr. too close again and this max the mag...

Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 10:20 PM, Naptowngirl said:
Great starting chapter. I'm digging Percy already. He and I share a liking for coffee..I need as much caffine as possible, none of that decaf for me. Now what's going to be interesting is to see if we meet mr. too close again and this max the mag...
Coffee...Yum! :D Both, Mr Too-Close and Max will have appearances, but it's not always good. Thanks for reading. Hope you come back for chapter 2.
Link to comment

I love your new story KC! Percy sounds pretty funny. I can't believe he tried to go back to apologize to Mr. Too Close. It was Too Close's fault after all! :)

 

Wouldn't it be funny if Mr. Too Close and Max are one and the same? lol

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Interesting start. I like Percy's character. I too hate having people stand too close in line. Honestly anyone behind my back like that at all creeps me out so I usually stand partially sideways, lol. It's a skin crawling feeling, like they're just about to touch you and you can't see it or stop it. *shudders* Anyway, I like the beginning of this story. I also found it ironic that a lady who wears purple lipstick would criticise anyone for wearing a purple shirt. Cause well... purple lipstick? Sooo not a good look on anyone, lol!

 

One line did confuse me. "Unusually, the office secretary, Amanda would be the person he barked out orders to and as soon as his personal assistant heard his command," I think I read this about 5 times. Who is Amanda? Is Unusually supposed to be usually? It just didn't make sense because you gave us a name and didn't explain who the person was. Is Amanda really Rocket? That bit ruined the flow for me so you might consider a quick clean up or explanation.

Link to comment

Well, you have my attention now. I´d love to read more of this. smile.png Since I´ve never read anything from you before I don´t know what or how you usually write, but I liked the in medias res beginning with the coffee place, the waiting in line, the person behind standing too close - it´s a familiar situation easy to relate to, and also you don´t give away too much information about the characters too soon, leaving me with questions I want answered. And you had me laughing more than once.

I started reading without checking the tags, but based on the content of this first chapter - I´m expecting romance (it has classic romance build-up written all over it) and I´m expecting to meet Mr Too Close again. And what about MaxTheMagnificent? Yes, I will definitely continue reading this.

(But why did did Rocket have to replace the purple shirt with a light gray one? What´s wrong with a little color?)

Link to comment

It's a good start. I like the closet case idea as a starting point - so much potential for drama emotion - secrets are sexy! ;)

Link to comment

Such a good start! Can't wait to read the next chapter! Well written, interesting characters and with a GREAT flow. Yeah, I am diggin' this. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 12:07 AM, Lisa said:
I love your new story KC! Percy sounds pretty funny. I can't believe he tried to go back to apologize to Mr. Too Close. It was Too Close's fault after all! :)

 

Wouldn't it be funny if Mr. Too Close and Max are one and the same? lol

Percy is kind of like me that if I get mad even if I have good reason, I feel bad that I lost my temper and yelled. I would have to go back and apologize :P I agree that it was all Mr. Too Close's fault!
Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 12:27 AM, Cia said:
Interesting start. I like Percy's character. I too hate having people stand too close in line. Honestly anyone behind my back like that at all creeps me out so I usually stand partially sideways, lol. It's a skin crawling feeling, like they're just about to touch you and you can't see it or stop it. *shudders* Anyway, I like the beginning of this story. I also found it ironic that a lady who wears purple lipstick would criticise anyone for wearing a purple shirt. Cause well... purple lipstick? Sooo not a good look on anyone, lol!

 

One line did confuse me. "Unusually, the office secretary, Amanda would be the person he barked out orders to and as soon as his personal assistant heard his command," I think I read this about 5 times. Who is Amanda? Is Unusually supposed to be usually? It just didn't make sense because you gave us a name and didn't explain who the person was. Is Amanda really Rocket? That bit ruined the flow for me so you might consider a quick clean up or explanation.

Sorry for the confusion, Cia. Rocket can get away with purple lipstick :P She is pointing out that purple is not a good color on Percy that it will not look good with his eyes (gray) and skin tone(olive). Greek God type :wub:

 

Thanks for the "Unusually" typo...I will fix it right a way! :D

 

Amanda is the office secretary but Percy's request is a tad more personal and he and Rocket are really close (you will see more of their close friendship)and you will see Amanda in future chapters too.

 

Hope that clears it up. Thanks so much for reading. I hope you still enjoyed chapter 1.

Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 04:28 AM, sorgbarn said:
Well, you have my attention now. I´d love to read more of this. smile.png Since I´ve never read anything from you before I don´t know what or how you usually write, but I liked the in medias res beginning with the coffee place, the waiting in line, the person behind standing too close - it´s a familiar situation easy to relate to, and also you don´t give away too much information about the characters too soon, leaving me with questions I want answered. And you had me laughing more than once.

I started reading without checking the tags, but based on the content of this first chapter - I´m expecting romance (it has classic romance build-up written all over it) and I´m expecting to meet Mr Too Close again. And what about MaxTheMagnificent? Yes, I will definitely continue reading this.

(But why did did Rocket have to replace the purple shirt with a light gray one? What´s wrong with a little color?)

Ooooh first time reader...now I'm nervous! (jk) Well, I'm glad you liked it. Yes there will be romanance but it will be slower since I normal write at a mad-man fast pace. I'm trying to slow down but I'm normallly pretty spastic and it shows in my writing :D

 

Okay, I get it with the purple :P Rocket loves purple. It shows with her purple lipstick but she doen't think it's Percy's best color and swaps his ruined shirt with a gray one.

 

Thanks again for giving my writing a try!:D

Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 05:50 AM, carringtonrj said:
It's a good start. I like the closet case idea as a starting point - so much potential for drama emotion - secrets are sexy! ;)
Thanks RJ, secrets are sexy? Well, we'll see but there will be closet drama. :hug: Thanks for checking out the new story!
Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 08:35 AM, minmar said:
Such a good start! Can't wait to read the next chapter! Well written, interesting characters and with a GREAT flow. Yeah, I am diggin' this. :)
Awww thanks so much. I'm working really hard on the flow of this story. It will be a lot calmer then my previous stories but hope to still keep a nice pace. Thanks for reading :D
Link to comment

Okay, so I love Rocket. Percy has so much potential as a character. I love your little hints with Max at the end.. Can't wait for this to start hitting its stride. I'll be quiet now. :lol: And whether you realize it or not this is your work. Think Love is in the Cards. You write in many different formats. This is just one, so don't limit yourself or try to pigeonhole yourself. You are much better than that. Till next time. :)

Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 12:51 PM, comicfan said:
Okay, so I love Rocket. Percy has so much potential as a character. I love your little hints with Max at the end.. Can't wait for this to start hitting its stride. I'll be quiet now. :lol: And whether you realize it or not this is your work. Think Love is in the Cards. You write in many different formats. This is just one, so don't limit yourself or try to pigeonhole yourself. You are much better than that. Till next time. :)
Thanks Wayne, I just get worried about the response from my 'non-creature' stories. It is different. I'm still trying to find my way and learn as I go.

 

I'm trying super hard to slow the pace down to an enjoyable ride :lmao: Not too slow (hehehe) Okay that just shows that my mind is never far from the gutter. Thanks for reading! :hug:

Link to comment

Wow! Great start. The characters are very intriguing and I'm very curious to see if Me. Too Close will show up again :)

Link to comment
On 10/20/2011 04:41 AM, morgnita said:
Can't wait for more of this story so keep on writhing. I amlooking forward to next chapter.
Thanks, I am writing. I plan on posting once a week but if I get caught up I might post a little early...we'll see (I'm such a tease! :P)
Link to comment
On 10/20/2011 04:41 AM, adamo said:
Wow! Great start. The characters are very intriguing and I'm very curious to see if Me. Too Close will show up again :)
I'm glad you like this new story. We haven't seen the last of Mr. Too Close. :D Thanks for reading.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..