Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Live, Love, Lose - 50. Chapter 50

Shift to George's POV :) 

George found himself racing through the hospital corridors once again. He was breathless, but he didn’t care, he needed to keep going. It was strange for it didn’t look like a hospital any longer. It was half destroyed. There was rubble everywhere. It was tragic.

He should have never left it. He should have never left him.

Why had he even left?

Just stop thinking! A voice shouted in the back of his mind.

He kept running even faster, but it didn’t seem to lead anywhere…It was hard to recognise anything anymore. He couldn’t find him…but after a while, he bumped into his uncle. At least he was fine.

“Uncle Robb!” He stopped just in time otherwise he would have literally bumped into him. “Where is he?”

“Calm down, George. He is alright. He is still injured of course, but he will make it through.”

He felt like a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

“I cannot say the same thing for Doctor Spencer though…”

Doctor Spencer…? He had been hurt too… He hoped it wasn’t too serious.

“What do you mean? He’ll make it through too, won’t he?”

The look on his face spoke for itself. He didn’t need words. His mouth became agape.

“No…”

His uncle licked his lips as he glanced away.

“He was fatally wounded during that night…nothing could have been done to save him.”

No…he couldn’t have died…not him…

Why him out of all people? Why was he a part of the numerous casualties? Why couldn’t have he just been wounded and recover like Carl?

He licked his lips too and looked anywhere but at his uncle. He couldn’t believe it.

He remained like this for a while, his feet shifting uncomfortably in his spot and his hands fidgeting and shaking. He really hadn’t seen it coming…

He couldn’t remain like this any longer. He was feeling like an idiot somehow. He starting turning away to leave, but next thing he knew his uncle was embracing him. He didn’t say a word. But it was better this way. He didn’t move, didn’t hug him back. He was too distressed to react anymore.

He couldn’t accept the idea that he would never see him again or hear him again. Hardly one day ago he was still there, putting all his energy in treating the wounded, and now…

He couldn’t be gone…not so suddenly.

Who would treat and take care of all the patients like he did?

***
Paul, Uncle Robb, and himself went to the graveyard after Doctor Spencer had been buried, to pay him their last respects, for everything he had done for them, and all the other patients he had taken care of.

This was one of the very rare occasions he had been willing to put a tie on with his shirt. He had never liked the concept of suits, but this wasn’t just any day. He could make an effort for this time only.

Margaret had preferred to stay with Carl, “to keep him some company after the tough ordeals he had to go through” as she had put it. He had guessed for a while now that she was too upset to show up there.

“Why don’t we just surrender?” Paul was the one to break the heavy silence after a while. “It’d prevent the deaths of so many innocent people.”

George mechanically curled his fist into a ball.

“Is it really worth it? What we’re fighting for?”

His words were left hanging in the cool air, blown away like the meaningless sounds they were.

They remained still and silent for a long while. Of course, they couldn’t just come and go back after only five minutes, but they were certainly not going to stay for one hour either. Around fifteen to twenty minutes passed, he’d say.

They didn’t bring flowers with them. His uncle said it was pointless. First for they wither way too fast, and then for it’s not when people have died that you should bring them flowers.

“May he rest in peace. At least, he won’t suffer from the horrors of the war anymore,” his uncle spoke solemnly.

And shortly afterwards, he started walking away. Paul was going to do the same, but…

“Aren’t you coming?”

No, he didn’t move. His body wouldn’t allow him to.

“Go ahead. I’ll catch up with you in no time.”

Paul didn’t move. He only contemplated him in silence. He thought he was going to embrace him, but he only put his hand on his shoulder. Then he left swiftly.

The sun was shining on the grave. Not what you’d expect for such a tragic and serious event. Unless… Was it like saying: Don’t be sad, keep going and save the ones you can?

This was probably just a coincidence. Had he been alive, the weather would have still been the same. Still, he wanted to believe it.

On the stone, it read:

In Memoriam

Charles Henry Spencer.

1905 - 1940

Beloved husband and father.

He couldn’t look away from it.

He didn’t even know he had children. Wait, maybe he had only one, but he should have figured it out. Normal men had a wife and at least one child. How awful for them.

They hadn’t been that close. It’s not as if it had been one of his relatives or Nathan… So why was it affecting him so much?

A death’s a death, his brain reminded him. And it’s not as if he had been someone you didn’t know.

His eyes were slowly becoming wet.

He had never wanted to live as much as he did at that precise moment.

He clenched his fist more tightly, so much so that he could feel his pulse beat under his skin.

“Doctor Spencer…I promise…I won’t give up. I’ll survive this bloody war. And I’ll become a doctor, the kind of doctor you were.” He needed to pause before he proceeded. “We won’t let the bloody Boches win. They’ll pay eventually.”

These weren’t words only pronounced in the heat of the moment. Nothing could make his determination waver.

He intended to keep that promise, no matter what. Even if he had to spend days and nights helping at the hospital.

He would stick to his words.

 

 

Hey! :) 
So are you all ready for the new year coming ? :) 
Take care ❤️ 
Copyright © 2021 LittleCherryBlossom26; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So panful and random. The bombs dropped everywhere and killed anyone in the way. Dr Dpencer was their first close associate or mentor killed. They went through a range of emotions, Mr Hopkins knew the pain of war from his WWI duty. George lost Nathan at Dunkirk. This death was in the present and unexpected and so wrong by killing a medical person who saved lives. Hospitals are not supposed to be bombed. The Germans are violated international  peace treaties and established practices.

George finally reacted by deciding to become a doctor like Dr Spencer who would be his model. George now has a focus and has resolved to make something meaningful of himself. He won't drift or wallow in doubt or guilt.

Someone needs to tell Carl when he becomes awake. Carl may have guilt issues ( was he the reason Dr Spencer died? )and will need reinforcement and counseling.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Poor Dr Spencer, he helped get Karl away from the initial damage and then returned to continue the journey to a safer location…to only find himself making is own final march. Even as he perceived his death to be imminent, he waved Karl off to save himself; so selfless, so sad.

The compassion Karl felt, so strong and committed…Dr Spencer did not die alone, nor without a small return of human compassion…from a familiar “friend,” sharing their struggles until the end. Young Karl once again faces death, but not only that of others but now recognizing his own mortality too. Even his traumatic rescue of “not my friend” George has weighed heavily upon Karl’s innocence.

Unfortunately, Karl's  innocence has been more violently stripped by the same war that initially stripped him of family, home, and country. His foster family and adopted country are now on the frontlines of war, but at least Karl still remains free of the Nazi Youth Groups and Forced breeding programs; hopefully he will also manage and free himself of any PTSD.

Given that Karl was with the doctor, sharing the same trauma, yet communicating and acknowledging their shared physical limitations should help Karl accept that the doctor was making his own decisions and that Karl was an equal victim; a temporal trauma allowing Karl awareness, as not responsible nor a failing party to the ultimate death of the doctor.

This eases Karl’s survivor’s guilt and his PTSD; so hopefully his physical and mental healing will be concurrent, with neither delaying beyond a normal healthy healing and processing for recovery! Maybe Karl will get strength from some encouraging good news from home…, that they too are surviving, not living under forced labor conditions, nor having to support a movement just for the rights of nourishment and to live.

Ironically, we learn that the young doctor has a child or children; what is the possibility that one may be called Rosemary?

@LittleCherryBlossom26:

G-lad that Karl survived,

E-xcited for a healthy recovery,

T-ears for those lost,

K-eep George on task for his destiny ,

A-ccept the past,

R-ecommit to the future,

L-ive as there’s no tomorrow,

W-ar requires strength,

E-xpect nothing without risk,

L-imit your losses,

L-eave nothing to chance!

Thanks for sharing,

Happy New Year 2022!

New Year Meme GIF by Travis

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Such a sad loss of a fine man.  The scene in the cemetery was skilfully written and heart breaking.  Dr. Spencer was not only a good doctor, but an inspiring mentor for George.  His brief time with George will change George's future by giving him a role model George can respect and emulate.  Very well written chapter.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..