Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 1,046 Words
  • 1,449 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 15. October 7, 2021

I had another (self-caused) issue with the publishing system and last week's chapter did not show up in the site's story feed. If you have not read last week's chapter yet, have a look at it first! Cheers!


October 7, 2021




Okay, so I’ve been too busy with teaching lately to bother journaling. Not that I’m particularly consistent in the first place, but at least I write something mildly substantial when I do. Anyway, the lack of journaling has only been exacerbated by the fact that I’ve been getting opinion gigs from the Times and the Post again. I might even manage to snag a gig for The Atlantic if things go well. That would be fucking spectacular.

So what’s changed, you might ask? Well, the Purity movement down in the South has been growing in strength again and they are causing a huge stir. First it was just the typical anti-mutant riots, but now we are starting to see race riots mixing in. I’m completely serious. Fucking race riots, this day in age. Apparently 'purity' now means only white non-mutant mouth-breathers deserve to live in God's grace and the rest are assigned to hell and might as well be sent their as quickly as possible. People are reacting in total disbelief. The media has been having a 24-hour field day. They keep pretending like this is a sudden change, but the signs have been there. Racial and religious profiling has been on the rise with the cops and Homeland Security for years. Incarceration rates for blacks and Hispanics are through the roof compared to whites, and then there’s the preponderance of cops shooting unarmed black men at a much greater rate than the same for whites – even compared to armed white criminals. The question now becomes whether or not this is the beginning of a modern civil rights movement on par with what happened in the 1950's and 60's.

It’s a perfect opportunity for the rags to draw on my mutant perspective, since my name’s already out there for their readers attached to a Third Way ideology since I’ve seen things from both of the other sides. Christ, I’m still having a hard time processing that this is happening, that the bigots are still so idiotic. It’s some pretty crazy shit going down, and the X-men have hauled ass down there a few times to help keep things under control.

I hate saying this, but some of this shit has started bothering me. Not the anti-mutant bullshit, that’s the same old tired story. It’s watching Piotr, JP, and Rachel going out with the main X-team, and now Jubes, Dani, Doug and Xi’an too when shit’s been bad enough that they need extra manpower. It’s weird. It’s making me feel like I’ve gone soft, and… I have moments, sometimes, when I feel like I should be there with them. Especially on the missions when Bobby goes with them. I don’t know. It must just be my old rivalry with him boiling inside when I find out he’s going with them. Sometimes I feel like I have something to prove, to show everyone how much better and in control I’ve become, how useful and reliable I can be, and that I can be just as much of a fucking hero as any of the rest of them. Especially Boyscout Bobby.

Fuck him, though. He’s irrelevant.

It’s so fucking stupid. I’m starting to feel like I could have actual friends again. I’m serious about this. I haven’t had… Jesus Christ, I haven’t really had a true, good set of friends since I ditched this place for the Brotherhood. Sure, I had comrades with them and again with Freedom Force, and those kids I hung out with sometimes in my last year at UCLA, but other than Dom it just wasn’t the same. I know I’ve said this before, but sometimes I wonder whether Dom was part of the reason I never really made friends, both in the Brotherhood and after we got our pardons. Motherfucker.

But I’m being completely serious here when I say that Piotr, JP, Jubes, Xi’an, Rachel and I have kind of crystalized into this corny, dysfunctional group. We hang out. We bitch about our students and drink together. We’ve gone out to the bar, gone into the city, and done other random shit together. Sometimes Dani, Sam, Doug, and Jim join in too. We make plans.

We make plans, for God’s sake!

Sometimes I have these moments where it hits me and I feel so out of my depth that I almost panic about what’s really happening. I feel like it’s all going to come crashing down at any minute. I don’t deserve this, any of this. I’m a fuck up and a loser and I don’t understand how I got here. All of this, all of my life, it’s bound to go to hell in a hand basket at a moment’s notice and I’m going to be left with nothing once again. That, or they are going to finally realize the truth – that I’m a piece of shit that’s not worth having around.

Whatever. Time to shut up about that shit and stop being a loser who can’t handle maybe even the slightest hope that he has a life. As if that’s even possible.

Anyway, back on topic:

I’ve had the genius idea to take advantage of the situation down south as a teachable thing. I’ve got my Lit students reading the graphic novel ‘Stuck Rubber Baby’. It’s about a gay guy coming of age down in ‘Clayfield’ - a thinly veiled recreation of Birmingham, Alabama - during the Civil Rights movement. It’s an amazing witnessing of all the craziness that went down from the perspective of a white gay male who sided with the blacks. No, not just witnessing it but actually taking part in it, civil disobedience and all. It’s some good shit. They seem to be responding to it well, other than a couple fucktards in class complaining that they don’t want to read about the more gay relationship-y situations. Surprisingly, Julian isn’t one of them. I think he knows that if he steps too far out of line now, he won’t like what happens as a result. His behaviour has improved in my class, but thinking about how I got that to happen still makes me cringe. After all these years, I'm still no better than my parents. I was such an idiot.

© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting how the outside turmoil caused by bigots are matched by inside turmoil and fear of the present state of things not lasting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

"Especially Boyscout Bobby. Fuck him, though. He’s irrelevant." Uh huh... sure John. Things are getting better for St. John in spite of himself. They hang out with him because they like him. The only one who doesn't is writing the journal. Do yourself a favor and go back and read what you wrote from a different perspective, John. You are worth their time, and you do deserve your success. And is that worry for Bobby I detect when he goes out? The topic of this one was very relevant for these times too, lux... great job... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/22/2016 04:39 AM, Timothy M. said:

Interesting how the outside turmoil caused by bigots are matched by inside turmoil and fear of the present state of things not lasting.

I think John has a long history of having parts of his life come crashing down due to things beyond his control. John is a very reactive person, indeed, so it's not surprising that an important outside event (no matter how much he dismisses it as something that obviously was a foregone development) would trigger some internal strife. Thanks for reading. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/22/2016 12:22 PM, Headstall said:

"Especially Boyscout Bobby. Fuck him, though. He’s irrelevant." Uh huh... sure John. Things are getting better for St. John in spite of himself. They hang out with him because they like him. The only one who doesn't is writing the journal. Do yourself a favor and go back and read what you wrote from a different perspective, John. You are worth their time, and you do deserve your success. And is that worry for Bobby I detect when he goes out? The topic of this one was very relevant for these times too, lux... great job... cheers... Gary...

Yeah, the Trumpian witch hunts are very topical... and they have always been a part of the X-men's universe, so it was easy to bring that history in to mirror some of our real-world problems of today.

 

Sometimes I think there is a part of John, maybe a growing part, that is listening to himself and just shaking his head and waiting for his more histrionic parts to chill out. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Reading this chapter again, I had a :blink:  :rofl:  moment, when I got to this sentence:

 the rest are assigned to hell and might as well be sent their as quickly as possible.

Seriously - after what he said about his students mixing up there/their/they're. :lmao:  

 

PS Gary, if you could increase the font size on your comment, it would help old eyes like mine. ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..