Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 805 Words
  • 1,723 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 10. September 1, 2021

September 1, 2021

 

 

 

First week’s done. I am starting to wonder if I will ever have time to write a new book while I’m working here. So much planning work, so much marking. I’m tired as hell, and I don’t even have the energy to write something here most of the time, let alone fiction or some good non-fiction/opinion journalism that actually matters. Fuck.

I need to do something this weekend. I’m actually sitting on a bench out by the lake working on my laptop as I type this. I think the students are avoiding me, because it’s too nice a day for them not to be taking up every inch of space in the back property. I’m not sure if they are allowed to be swimming in the lake. I would be, regardless of the rules. I’ll take fresh water over chlorinated any day. I’m glad I’m getting some sun, though. I didn’t really leave the building this week, and I need to do better than that. Staying inside all the time is one of those things that I’m not supposed to do anymore. I mean, it’s not like when I was living on my own (while Dom was in jail), and I sometimes would just hermit up. At least I’ve got some forced socializing because of work. It might not be the ideal kind, but it’s something I guess.

I’m having a strange moment right now where I’m missing some of my time at UCLA. It was a bit of a weird experience being a mature student, but in some ways interacting with all those 18-23 year olds was good for my mind. Choosing to be with the Brotherhood at such a young age robbed me of the typical college experience, and I’d found myself yearning to be like them sometimes. I got lucky and had a small group of misfits that I’d hang with occasionally in my final year, but after that they all scattered to the wind and we lost touch. As much as that sucked, I wonder if dealing with my classmates and hanging with the misfits has maybe set me up to be in a place where I’m not going to want to kill my students pretty much all day, every day. Then again, things changed after I graduated a few years ago. Once Dom came back from jail, my social contacts dwindled to almost nothing. I wouldn’t say he was being controlling, nothing like that. I just didn’t… I don’t know. I didn’t have the energy. He was taking up so much of my attention because I wanted to make things work, and I felt like I needed to be nesting in order for that to happen. Well, we all know how that turned out. Fucking bastard.

I’m not going to let his asshatery ruin my mood, though. I have this sensation of relief right now. I got through the week and I didn’t kill anyone. I got through the week and I felt a lot less awkward up at the front of the classroom than I expected, especially today. I got through the week, and I feel like doing the same thing again next week won’t drive me to gash out my eyes with a spoon.

So, what to do this weekend?

I need to decompress, to let things settle. Part of me feels like I should drive in to New York and have some fun in the city. Maybe check out the MoMA, and get lost in the NY Public Library. I should fake things and get a library card so I can take advantage of all the cool shit there. Then again, the city’s probably going to be too intense after everything this week. Maybe I should just go on a drive instead, get myself fucking lost and then use my phone’s GPS to get back here. I have a sleeping bag from when I took a camping trip in Yosemite looking for some inspiration. The weather is supposed to be nice. Maybe I can find somewhere to park my ass overnight in the Catskills and just enjoy the stars.

I should be writing, though, not wasting my time with this shit. I really should be writing, but the Muse, that fucking bitch, is remaining elusive. Teaching this week has been anything but a mental reboot when it comes to getting her to give me my writing flow. Maybe if I spend the weekend channeling Thoreau I’ll be able to get her to give me a writer’s booty call in the evenings this week. If I have the fucking energy, I guess. Maybe even if I don’t. At this point I'm willing to sacrifice a little sleep to pound out a few hundred words on the keyboard each night.

 
© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Asshatery. Love the word. Is St. John turning a corner. Even though he's frustrated with his no-show muse, he was proud of himself for making it through the week, and miracles of miracles, he's not dreading next week, and he doesn't want to kill his students. I'd say that's some sort of progress. He thought about Dom, but he didn't beat himself up too badly over him... until next time, lux... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/17/2016 02:37 PM, Headstall said:

Asshatery. Love the word. Is St. John turning a corner. Even though he's frustrated with his no-show muse, he was proud of himself for making it through the week, and miracles of miracles, he's not dreading next week, and he doesn't want to kill his students. I'd say that's some sort of progress. He thought about Dom, but he didn't beat himself up too badly over him... until next time, lux... cheers... Gary....

He did have a good week, didn't he? Just remember, sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As a teacher myself, I can relate intimately to the weariness, the time crunch, and the inevitable elusiveness of any kind of inspiration. Our Mr. Allerdyce knows all the things he could do, but cannot find the will to do any of them. Not at all surprising, really. This is the part he didn't understand when he signed up. The kids and the routine get under one's skin, but it does leave one feeling exhausted.

 

It is the relationships one builds in the school community that make the job rewarding. Will the acerbic Mr. Allerdyce learn this?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Teaching is a tough job. Most people don't appreciate how tough it is, how much work happens beyond the classroom, and in a lot of places how poorly compensated teachers are for their work. John's definitely hitting a hard learning curve, but he's pretty resilient, even if he doesn't believe it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I liked his decisions to take walks / trips into nature and try to settle some of the anxiety over his (lack of) writing and other stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I liked his decisions to take walks / trips into nature and try to settle some of the anxiety over his (lack of) writing and other stuff.

 

Nature definitely has its benefits in all sorts of ways.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..