Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 543 Words
  • 2,362 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 5. August 16, 2021

August 16, 2021


Emma Frost called today. Apparently Xavier’s needs someone to teach English Lit and Writer’s Craft to the seniors. And they fucking thought of me.

What. The. Fuck.

Sure, I’ve been a government-certified ‘good citizen’ for about seven years now, but still… Do they not remember the days when I ran with the Brotherhood and tried to fry them? Ugh. Whatever.

Do you know what’s worse? I called her back an hour later and told her I’d do it. I’d be a fucking idiot to turn down a ninety-five grand to teach three classes a day for ten months. Who the fuck offers someone that much to teach? They must be desperate. Christ, I can’t believe this. Me, making almost six figures and teaching at Xavier’s for fuck’s sake! This is unreal, and I just know I’m going to fucking regret it.

If I’m being honest, though, I’ll admit that I need a change. A radical change. I need to get away from here. This teaching gig might be a (not so great) starting point, but at least it will get me out of L.A. Part of me misses actually having a real winter, snow and all. That’s perhaps a bit paradoxical coming from a firebug like me, but it’s the truth. I was a Michigander in my childhood, and an Upstate New Yorker during my teens. I’m used to having four months of snow and sleet and ice. Really, I got used to having that shit all year round at the School. Sorta kinda. With him. But I’m not going to think about that, not right now. Not ever. Fuck it.

I’m not sure if the east coast is going to be the right place for me. The midwest sure as hell isn’t. Too traditionalist, old-fashioned. The south? Fuck no. Too closed minded, too bigoted and too fucking humid. I’ve thought about the pacific northwest, but it’s so rainy… Goddamn it, this is me we’re talking about. I’ll find a way to be fucking miserable no matter where I go. At least at Xavier’s I’ll have an excuse for my misery, and people to take it out on. Hah, ‘cause that’s gonna help me not get fired.

Maybe the reality is that I was never destined to have a home, never one that would last longer than a few years at most. Do I have some traces of a heritage from some nomadic peoples, or something? Do I have Romani blood in my veins? Bedouin? Native American? Nah, let's be honest - I’m just the result of a bottom feeder breeding a purdy foreigner and then letting some bad luck turn them both into trailer trash. I've spent most of my life hating them, telling myself that I'm better than them. But really? It all leads back to that. I’m a worthless piece of trailer trash, just like them, but I'm using a lot of smoke and mirrors to hide away my rotten, bankrupt core. They say ‘fake it until you make it,’ but there are some things that you just can’t fake. How long will it take those idiots at Xavier’s to see me for who I really am, deep down?

Should I even give a fuck?

© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Man, these chapters are not showing up in the chapter update lists. It was only luck I found chapter 6... didn't realize this one existed... anyway... John's in a bad and sad place. I hope he finds someone to love him... someone who can be his home... good job of showing the man's self esteem issues... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 06/21/2016 11:32 AM, Headstall said:

Man, these chapters are not showing up in the chapter update lists. It was only luck I found chapter 6... didn't realize this one existed... anyway... John's in a bad and sad place. I hope he finds someone to love him... someone who can be his home... good job of showing the man's self esteem issues... cheers... Gary....

Yeah, the update system did something weird with this one. I think I know why. Hopefully this problem won't happen again. Thanks for checking back and giving this a read - the next chapter doesn't make as much sense without reading this first. This will be an interesting new journey for John. I think he we all know there will be a lot more than just a job to keep John on his toes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So John has agreed to teach. That may be more than he bargained for, but turning down money like that is hard, very hard. But at least it may concentrate his mind a little on something outside his own misery.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/17/2017 09:41 AM, Parker Owens said:

So John has agreed to teach. That may be more than he bargained for, but turning down money like that is hard, very hard. But at least it may concentrate his mind a little on something outside his own misery.

More than he bargained for? Definitely. I don't think most people are really up to the reality of what teaching entails. Maybe John will just be experiencing a new kind of misery? ;)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Emma Frost to the rescue. Now the question on my mind is how she knew he needed this break? Or was it coincidence? Nah - not with what I know about Emma now. But I still can't figure out how she knew when Dom was out of his life and St.John was ready to relocate.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

There is definitely a thread of mystery in the background here. Maybe by the end of the book that will be solved. You may even guess what's going on before then; it wouldn't really surprise me. One thing is for sure, though - Emma is a thorough planner. She has plans and contingencies for everything. St. John was probably on her radar long before this summer. Whether or not the timing of when she needed him was a coincidence is something else entirely... :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..