Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 729 Words
  • 2,936 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 3. August 1, 2021

August 1, 2021

 


Ugh, fuck my life! I need to find a cheaper apartment. I can’t afford to live in this place by myself anymore – he was contributing a little bit, it’s true, at least at the beginning. Don’t know why I didn’t immediately move out after he ditched, though. Bastard. Why the fuck did I stay here, anyway? I’m just pissing away the little I’ve managed to save. There’s nothing here that I really wanted. It’s just a place. Just a place where I wanted to live. Where I could see myself living. Not my fault that I’m not good enough. Dom can go fuck himself.

Seriously, though, I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel now just to make rent. Even wrote a short piece for a trashy syndicated rag. I can’t get any work from the good journals anymore. They’re either bored with my perspective or God only knows what else. Ugh, maybe I’m just not controversial enough anymore. I don’t fucking know. The royalty cheques from my novels just won’t cover everything anymore. They used to be good, but… damn. It’s been four years since my publisher bought one of my good novels. No one reads transrealist gothic romance novels five years after they get published, though. They just disappear into oblivion, sorta like Pyro did after Freedom Force disbanded. Fucking government. At least I finally got that pardon they kept dangling along in front of us. Of course, that was after I was ditched in that living hell in Iraq. They didn’t give me any other reasonable compensation for it, of course, once I’d recovered. They just sneered and told me I should be grateful that my record would be wiped clean and I could get a job, and maybe one day they’d even let me get a passport and be able to actually travel outside of this godforsaken country. I should be grateful that it wasn’t a lie, that I do have a passport now. I could go back to Australia again on a quest to come to grips with my maternal roots, if I could afford it. I haven’t been there since I was a kid. Maybe I’d find some new inspiration if I went. Maybe find something real to write about again. Yeah, right. We all know that’s never going to happen.

But yeah, I’m fucked. No money. But I refuse to live in some cheap ass, rat infested hole again. I’m going to be thirty-seven years old in April, and I’m not putting up with that shit. I’m not my flat-scan, trailer-trash parents. I’m better than them. Better than they ever would have been. I will not live like those lazy entitled social security-addicted scum. I refuse. I will never stoop that low.

Fuck, I should break down and do it, just write another mindless drug-store romance novel on a ghost-writing contract. Just write it, bang it out quick. They were happy with my work last time I did one, even if I thought it was trash. It only took me a month, too. A month of writing hell, barely sleeping and only really stopping when I remembered I needed to eat or go outside and clear my head for a few minutes. It would suck, but it would at least get me some new cash flow, right? It would be fucking pennies, but also easy as pie. So what if it’s not what I want to write, so what if it has no meaning and no point other than to give some bored housewives something to get off on while they wait for their laundry to finish. I should just sit down and write some stupid romantic crap again, lying through my teeth the whole time. Make the guy all confident, hot and heroic, seemingly flawless, but has a messy secret he needs to hide that keeps him from letting himself fall in love. Make the girl a subversive, tempermental idealist that just can’t keep out of trouble, no matter how good her intentions are. They meet and it’s fireworks. Some random drama about a misunderstanding happens, a wedge that drives them so very far apart, but a fluke of destiny brings them back together. Wham, bam, thank you ma’am, and the world suddenly starts to work the way it should for them.


The fucking end.

© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

How the hell did I miss this story lux? :o

 

Luckily I only needed to read 3 chapters to catch up. :)

 

I love how this third chapter, from the other's POV, has subtly changed perceptions. The entire story now takes on a decidedly more interesting turn!

 

Can't wait for the next!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 02:58 PM, skinnydragon said:

How the hell did I miss this story lux? :o

 

Luckily I only needed to read 3 chapters to catch up. :)

 

I love how this third chapter, from the other's POV, has subtly changed perceptions. The entire story now takes on a decidedly more interesting turn!

 

Can't wait for the next!

Well, I am glad you found it and I do hope you enjoy it as things go forward. I have 40+ chapters written and more to come, queued up to publish weekly on Sunday mornings so stay tuned, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel.

 

The entire story is written from St. John's point of view, this chapter included, as they take on the form of his own journal entries. We will eventually learn more about Dom's motivations and the reasons behind his actions right out of his mouth, but that will take the backseat for quite a while once we get out of this introductory period where John is entirely focused emotionally on the breakup and practically on making ends meet.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Talk about unresolved anger issues! He's dealing with 'em in spades. And yet, there's still a drive there that's pushing him on to...something.
Enjoying the tale, and really looking forward to seeing John's life turn from something so self-inspective to more involvement with others.
Good job!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Okay... that was a little confusing. I thought I was reading Dom's POV after the line about "like Pyro did"... after reading your reply to skinny, I went back and saw he was referring to his alter ego. Anyway, it was an intense little rant to himself... you do 'bitter' really well... I felt it quite strongly... well done, Lux... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/06/2016 02:49 AM, Headstall said:

Okay... that was a little confusing. I thought I was reading Dom's POV after the line about "like Pyro did"... after reading your reply to skinny, I went back and saw he was referring to his alter ego. Anyway, it was an intense little rant to himself... you do 'bitter' really well... I felt it quite strongly... well done, Lux... cheers... Gary...

Ah, I see how you and skinny were led off course now. Gonna make a tiny change in the first paragraph so that readers are sure it is John talking. The reason for referring to himself in the third person is that John has needed to distance himself from his past in order to take his first steps moving forward with his life after Freedom Force is disbanded. We will learn more about that part of John's life as time passes. Whether or not he ever reclaims that identity, who knows what the future holds?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 06/05/2016 07:38 PM, Robert Rex said:

Talk about unresolved anger issues! He's dealing with 'em in spades. And yet, there's still a drive there that's pushing him on to...something.

Enjoying the tale, and really looking forward to seeing John's life turn from something so self-inspective to more involvement with others.

Good job!

St. John definitely has anger issues, but right now it's been just under a month since Dominik left. John's 36, and he met Dom when he was 19 or 20. They have been friends, best friends and later lovers. After such a long relationship, I can sympathize with still being in the anger stage of grieving after a month has passed.

 

John is a passionate person. Despite being a troublemaker in high school, he has always been driven to succeed at what he puts his mind to and that includes taking up causes like Magneto's war against unpowered humans as an impressionable teen. In X3, John shows how willing he is to make himself into what he thinks he needs to be for his efforts to succeed - in this case, he makes an effort to turn himself into what he sees as a badass villain and perfect soldier for Magneto. It will be interesting to see how this expresses itself now that he is an adult.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

And another little penny drops. A few more nuggets of information. It drips out like water from a leaky faucet. Well done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 06/12/2016 09:08 PM, Parker Owens said:

And another little penny drops. A few more nuggets of information. It drips out like water from a leaky faucet. Well done.

Thanks Parker!

 

I really don't want to overload the reader with details. Since St. John has a lot of emotional scars (and physical ones too) it's easy to just drop little pieces of things rather than full on talk about them because we are reading from John's perspective. He knows what's happened to himself, and choosing to not write about it is part of the system of walls he's built up - even if things always seem to be peeking out from between the cracks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Jeez, it's like the anger is oozing off the page here. Anger towards Dom, the government, his parents, himself. But having read many more chapters I know he has good reason for the rage against the first three, but he needs to give himself a break.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 3/31/2017 at 2:12 AM, Timothy M. said:

Jeez, it's like the anger is oozing off the page here. Anger towards Dom, the government, his parents, himself. But having read many more chapters I know he has good reason for the rage against the first three, but he needs to give himself a break.

 

St. John definitely does anger well, and it's something he needs to deal with. He's had help in the past, but it's hard when your life has taken yet another shitty turn, isn't it?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..