Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 691 Words
  • 3,549 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 9. August 27, 2021

August 27, 2021

 

 

 

Well, I’m now officially St. John Allerdyce: teacher of English. Today wasn’t so bad. I can already tell there are a few fucktards in my class who are going to annoy the shit out of me. I’m not just talking about the trouble makers; there are also a couple goody-two-shoes who were already trying to suck up to me. God, it’s only the first fucking day. Whatever. They’ll learn fast that it’s not going to get them anywhere. If anything, I’ll mark them harder for it.

I’m not really liking this whole ‘lesson plan’ thing. Emma insists that I have plans for the day, the week, the month, the term, end-of-year goals for each student and all this other bullshit. Hell, we’re even supposed to have a meeting at the end of every semester talking about each student and their keeping a tighter watch on progress in all their subjects. It’s supposed to combine team-building amongst the staff with the academic analysis. All of this stuff is a crapload of work that I really don’t want to do, especially for the Lit course. I mean, most of those kids don’t give a fuck and they’re only taking it because they have to in order to graduate. At least the kids in Writer’s Craft want to be there. Well, most of them, anyway. There’s still a few that are going to be a pain in the ass, I’m sure. I’ll know more when I go through the assignments I had them do today.

I’m not a teacher, but I thought a good first thing would be to have them write something for the first half of the class, and then do a self-critique for the second half. Besides taking up a whole period, I figured it would give me an idea of who among them can actually put a half-decent sentence together, who among them actually can think about how they are writing and talk about it, and who among them thinks they’re the next Shakespeare. At least this way I’ll hopefully have something concrete to write for Emma’s student goals bullshit.

God, it’s going to take me forever to go through all of these. Ugh. I gotta figure out how I can get them to do a lot of writing, but not have too much marking to do. Maybe I can pawn it off on the students with a lot of peer-reviews and shit like that, and I’ll only mark final drafts. Maybe that will work. Besides, if I’m forcing them to show off their writing to their friends, maybe they’ll actually put some effort into making it good so they don’t embarrass themselves. I’ll have to foster an atmosphere of mockery whenever it’s clear that a student puts in no effort.

I’m starting my Lit kids off with Gatsby. Emma thinks I should do Wuthering Heights, but fuck that shit. We can read something by one of the other Bronte sisters. Jane Eyre, probably. At least that’s not complete, constant melodrama. I gotta figure out what other books we’re going to do, though. A bunch of the ones I was thinking about doing over the weekend don’t really qualify because they weren’t written in English, originally. It pisses me off, too, because it’s not like every great book out there is in English. Hell, most of the great books out there aren’t in English.

I wanted to do one of Italo Calvino’s books, maybe something by Haruki Murakami too. I think I will end up subbing in something by John Updike or Isabel Allende, maybe some Margaret Atwood for the feminism or Zadie Smith for hysterical realism. Wait, and Toni Morrison, too. The students need to read that. Probably some Hemingway too, or ‘Blood and Guts in High School’ by Acker if I can get away with it. God, too many books. Oh yeah, and ‘Ulysses’ by Joyce. We’re doing that whether they can handle it or not. I don’t care if Emma thinks it’s too fucking hard for high school seniors. I’m stoked for that. I fucking love that book.

 
© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

For someone who's moaning and groaning, he's sure getting into the teacher thing. I think he's going to thrive despite his maybe-tendancy to self-sabotage... interesting... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am overwhelmed by the reading list already. Mr. Allerdyce is going to be a challenging teacher. The kind kids find interesting and engaging. The kind they will go to the wall for. Not that he gives a crap about that right now...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/10/2016 at 11:51 AM, Headstall said:

For someone who's moaning and groaning, he's sure getting into the teacher thing. I think he's going to thrive despite his maybe-tendancy to self-sabotage... interesting... cheers... Gary...

 

 

On 1/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, Parker Owens said:

I am overwhelmed by the reading list already. Mr. Allerdyce is going to be a challenging teacher. The kind kids find interesting and engaging. The kind they will go to the wall for. Not that he gives a crap about that right now...

 

 

Yeah, he's definitely getting into it, and at this point maybe it's more ego-stroking than anything else. He's building the course *he* would have wanted to take, not necessarily the one his students can handle. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have the feeling he will soon find out teaching is a lot of hard work. Did he even ask Emma or Pete about what he missed in the staff meeting?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I have the feeling he will soon find out teaching is a lot of hard work. Did he even ask Emma or Pete about what he missed in the staff meeting?

 

It's definitely a steep learning curve without training. Hell, even with training. Every class is a different dynamic. He probably asked Piotr. It's wasn't important enough for him to talk about it here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..