Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 1,360 Words
  • 1,762 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 53. February 7, 2022

February 7 2022



 

I had another appointment with Dr. Sofen today, thank God. I really needed to decompress and let everything out. She was totally okay with making more recent events the priority, considering how much angst they are causing me. Of course, that also means that it was one of those appointments that you leave feeling both entirely drained and not totally sure it helped to relieve things at all. I know enough, now, that it gets better long term. Usually. You have to be patient with this shit. Sigh.

So Dominik’s brain has stabilized, whatever that means. Emma is certain she has eradicated the telepathic virus, so there is only physical healing left. Cecilia showed me a scan of his head a few days ago. I’m no doctor, but it was clear that his brain wasn’t filling up as much space in his skull as it should. Cecilia rattled off a few different things that were of most concern to her, but I was too stuck on the picture to really process what she was saying. It was real, whatever this was. A physical manifestation of a psychic problem. It just hit home for me even more how complex a dilemma I now faced.

I gave Cecilia and Hank the go-ahead for some sort of stem cell therapy that should help regenerate the damaged areas. It’s really promising, but at the same time there is only so much it can do, even if it works. It’s anyone’s guess at this point how much it will help him. It will take time, too. Donor cells have to be extracted from a tissue sample somewhere else on his body, coaxed into pluripotency, and converted into a nervous system lineage. Then the cells have to be introduced into the cerebrospinal fluid around Dom’s brain and hopefully they will penetrate its barriers and begin to replicate and reinforce what’s left of his grey matter. Since the brain is pretty plastic, they should be able to support and strengthen existing neuronal connections and then hopefully make room for more growth of new connections in the future. I don’t know if that means his brain volume will increase back to the amount it should, but one can hope that he will at least be functional when all is said and done. I guess I can have hope, considering that he was doing well enough to run a successful business up until he kidnapped me.

I’m still having trouble fathoming that part. How had he done this whole business thing? I feel like it came out of nowhere. Was he planning this for a long time? He’d talked about owning a bar here and there over the years but I never thought he was serious, especially not after he came back from jail. Maybe I fucked up. Maybe that was just another reason in the long list of them that lead to our break-up. But where had he got the money for all this? I know he got the property from Magneto, but what about the start-up costs? Cash to buy the initial volumes of alcohol, insurance, utilities, decorating the place, all of it… where did this come from? Did he steal it? Or did he find some sort of investor or benefactor?

Was he fucking someone else to get at their money? Was that what happened?

As if. It’s more likely that he somehow managed to steal it. I have trouble believing that one, though. He’s not exactly capable of white-collar crime, and if he was fucked up enough that he couldn’t even jack a car without being caught all those years ago I’m certain it didn’t come from him robbing a bank the old fashioned way. I would have figured it out if he was doing some serious criminal shit before we broke up. It’s so confusing. I’m certain that Emma has the answers to these questions, considering just how deep she’s gone into his head to stop the telepathic virus. I just don’t know whether or not I should ask. Whether or not I even want to know. Whether or not it even matters.

What will happen to his bar now? If his recovery timeline is long-term, are we going to just sell off the bar and give his kid the profits as a lump sum? I doubt that will work, but until I see any legal documents relating to what the mother wanted or is supposed to get, I have no idea. I don’t even know if it falls to me to make these decisions as well. I mean, sure I agreed to be his proxy for medical stuff for now but I haven’t said anything about dealing with his legal messes.

The other wrinkle in all of this is Bobby. I finally opened up to him about what’s going on with Dom. He started out looking sympathetic and concerned but as I kept talking he started to frown, and it got deeper and deeper. Suddenly Bobby and I are in a place neither of us bargained for. My ex-lover was doing crazy things because his brain was fucked up. And I have sympathy.

...More than just sympathy.

Bobby could tell. It freaks me out how well he reads me. It’s easy to read him because his emotions are as transparent as his ice. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so what you see is what you get. It’s probably part of why Jean-Paul got so attached to Bobby back in the day - the idiot was sending out signals of his mutual attraction and interest that JP was reading loud and clear even if Bobby didn’t mean to do it. He can’t help it. I love him for it, though. It’s a form of honesty that so many people see as a weakness. Fuck, it’s a weakness my father tried to smack out of me once he became a drunk. I used to think of it as a weakness, too. I try to be more honest with my emotions now. People always used to think I had exactly four moods: melancholic, surly, exuberant and enraged. That may have been true, to an extent, but it was never the whole story. Those were just outward expressions of what I was really feeling, put through a filter that added many layers of distortion. I knew what I was feeling, even if I didn’t show it.

So yeah, it’s amazing that Bobby has such a good handle on my emotions considering that we’ve only really had about a month of time together again as friends, let alone as something more. Like so many other aspects of our relationship, I’m trying not to overthink it or derive some sort of fundamental cosmic meaning from it. The reality is that we lived together, sharing the same space and living almost the exact same life for four years as teenagers. That’s fucking intense, and you can learn a lot about anyone in that sort of environment let alone someone with whom there is a powerful, shared connection. So Bobby knows that my feelings about Dom and what’s happened to him are not simple. How could they be? It would be wonderful if I could wave a magic wand and say that things are over with him and just close the book, but I can’t. I don’t know what to think about the thunderstorm raging in my mind, this vice clamped around my heart. Dom was my best friend for almost twenty years, and my lover for the last seven to nine of them, depending on where you define the ‘beginning’ of us as partners and not just friends.

I asked Dr. Sofen if she thinks I have Stockholm Syndrome. She shook her head and said that while there were some things that overlap, I had so much prior history with Dominik that of course things would get tangled up in this mess of a situation in the aftermath. And then she asked me if I’d ever stopped loving him.

And there’s the truth, right?

I haven’t.

Fuck me, I haven’t.

© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ouch. My heart goes out to John here.  Honestly this might be one of my favorite chapters even if it was more an introspective of one rather than action oriented.  

 

I like the acknowledgment that you cant just wish away the past and how you feel about it, no matter how much you might want to.  At some point you have to face it and what it means for the future.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Of course he loves Dom, but I bet it's more a brotherly or friendship love than romantic love like he feels towards Bobby. If he kept saying Bobby's name in his sleep while he was with Dom, then we all know who has his heart forever. That doesn't mean he couldn't love Dom too, but no matter how well he recovers their relationship is back to friends. Which is a lot better than being enemies like they were when they broke up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And that's the sum of it all! If you are really honest with yourself, you can't just stop loving a person after having shared so much of your life and yourself with them . John's problem is complicated by the fact that Doms behavior is now proven to be a result of external factors! I empathize with Bobby too, it isn't easy dealing with your partners feelings for someone else while trying to build a new relationship, even knowing that your partner loves you and has for a while. I have a feeling that where the money came from for Doms bar may become an issue. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2017-5-13 at 8:54 PM, Israfil said:

Ouch. My heart goes out to John here.  Honestly this might be one of my favorite chapters even if it was more an introspective of one rather than action oriented.  

 

I like the acknowledgment that you cant just wish away the past and how you feel about it, no matter how much you might want to.  At some point you have to face it and what it means for the future.

 

Thanks! I am glad it worked.

Link to comment
On 2017-5-14 at 1:27 AM, Timothy M. said:

Of course he loves Dom, but I bet it's more a brotherly or friendship love than romantic love like he feels towards Bobby. If he kept saying Bobby's name in his sleep while he was with Dom, then we all know who has his heart forever. That doesn't mean he couldn't love Dom too, but no matter how well he recovers their relationship is back to friends. Which is a lot better than being enemies like they were when they broke up.

 

Love is a complicated thing, isn't it? So many different forms, and it can metamorphose too... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 2017-5-14 at 2:05 AM, deville said:

And that's the sum of it all! If you are really honest with yourself, you can't just stop loving a person after having shared so much of your life and yourself with them . John's problem is complicated by the fact that Doms behavior is now proven to be a result of external factors! I empathize with Bobby too, it isn't easy dealing with your partners feelings for someone else while trying to build a new relationship, even knowing that your partner loves you and has for a while. I have a feeling that where the money came from for Doms bar may become an issue. 

 

It's almost out of your hands whether love stops or not. The money... that is definitely fishy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh, shit. Unsettling for sure, but it rings so true. John isn't the type to stop loving, even after being emotionally abused for years. I'm the same way... and I hate it. Fortunately, I can make the decisions I need to. I hope John can as well, before he fucks things up with Bobby. I believe Bobby will give him time. He's waited too long for this. I hope that John realizes guilt will be a factor in his compassion for Dom... I know that well too. I stayed with someone because they had a crutch, and I didn't want to desert them... not healthy in the long run. Great job of writing, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/15/2017 at 8:44 PM, Headstall said:

Oh, shit. Unsettling for sure, but it rings so true. John isn't the type to stop loving, even after being emotionally abused for years. I'm the same way... and I hate it. Fortunately, I can make the decisions I need to. I hope John can as well, before he fucks things up with Bobby. I believe Bobby will give him time. He's waited too long for this. I hope that John realizes guilt will be a factor in his compassion for Dom... I know that well too. I stayed with someone because they had a crutch, and I didn't want to desert them... not healthy in the long run. Great job of writing, buddy... cheers... Gary....

 

John's definitely in a precarious situation. Guilt can be such a powerful force. :hug: Thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..