Jump to content
    MozLover21
  • Author
  • 3,000 Words
  • 6,005 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Electricity - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter 8.

Andrew/Tom

Andrew had a lot of plans for his dinner night with Aubrey, but an argument about religion was certainly not on his list. That’s why he found himself feeling befuddled as they entered the sushi restaurant silently, the atmosphere between them so tense you could cut it with a knife like a birthday cake. Or a post-funeral reception cake…

When Andrew had chatted with Nelson, suggesting that he read the story of Job seemed like an innocent enough idea. Andrew wasn’t particularly religious himself, but he understood the Bible to be a source of comfort for many people, including his mother, therefore he would never undervalue it. It was something that could potentially help Nelson get through tough times and get him out of the maze of the endless and confusing “Why me?” questions that people going through hardships seem to always torture themselves with. So why did Aubrey jump down his throat like he committed the worst atrocity ever by just wanting to help. Nelson seemed like a good kid, and Andrew didn’t want him to get lost and forgotten in the system. But perhaps he hadn’t taken into consideration the actual weight of his word. He was a famous athlete, and Nelson was a young and impressionable boy. Maybe Aubrey was right, maybe he was exerting influence over this boy, when in reality he didn’t have enough experience to give him the right type of advice in this situation. He never experienced being shunned by his loved ones or being kicked out of his own house. If the counselors thought that moving away from religion was the best choice, who was he to tell them otherwise?

“Hello Mister Thompson,” the host of the restaurant greeted him, “the rest of your party has already arrived. Follow me.” Andrew let a sour faced Aubrey walk ahead of him as they followed the host to his usual prime booth spot where a shocked Joel and an even more shocked Drew sat waiting. It was the first time the dinner trio had become a foursome, and to Andrew’s chagrin nobody looked thrilled about it, including his date who seemed to have a wave of recognition wash over his face when he laid his eyes on Joel. Just when Andrew thought the evening couldn’t get any worse, it did.

Joel shot Andrew a look that screamed, “Are you completely crazy?” but Andrew simply shrugged it off and proceeded to introduce the men to each other.

“Aubrey, meet my good friend Joel and his husband Drew.” Andrew could tell that Aubrey was just as shocked as Joel, but he smoothed it over much better.

“Pleasure to meet you,” he said, shaking hands with both men, then taking a seat.

“When you said a surprise guest, this is not whom I envisioned,” Joel stated very plainly. “But this is a surprise indeed.” Andrew didn’t know what the hell he was thinking earlier on when this scenario seemed like a great idea. He just wanted Joel’s take on Aubrey, and he figured this would be the perfect opportunity. But clearly he went about it the wrong way, because both men appeared standoffish and uncomfortable in each other’s presence.

“Aubrey as in Aubrey Miller, the writer?” Drew asked daftly, annoying Andrew.

“That’s me,” Aubrey chuckled nervously. For some reason Drew appeared to be the most shocked out of everyone.

“I guess we’re going to have to mind our tongues at tonight’s dinner,” Joel quipped.

“No need, I come in peace and off the record,” Aubrey replied.

“Andrew might believe that, I don’t,” Joel replied and proceeded to take a shot of saké. Andrew wasn’t sure how to fix the tension but he decided to give it a try.

“I invited Aubrey here tonight because I asked him to be the writer who will break the Thompson Foundation news in the media,” Andrew stated and Joel started coughing up his drink violently. Drew patted his back in desperation until the man regained his composure.

“Are you joking?” he blurted out, offended.

“No, I’m serious. And since you’re going to be involved, I thought it would be a good idea for us all to get together and discuss further,” Andrew replied, now starting to get annoyed himself. Why couldn’t everyone just get along tonight like adults? Joel stared at Andrew in what appeared to be a mixture of anger and disbelief.

“You’ve gone to some great lengths to get men in bed…but this, this has got to be the dumbest thing to date.” Andrew had underestimated—Joel wan’t angry, he was furious. It was completely unlike him to state an opinion that went against Andrew out loud in front of other people. Andrew saw no good way of getting out of this. He was completely screwed.

“First of all, you’re being very inappropriate,” Aubrey chimed in and Andrew wanted nothing more than to slide down and hide under the table. Joel might not have realized, but Aubrey Miller was not one to mince his words. “Second of all, I came here on a professional level to talk to you about the Foundation. But I didn’t realize Andrew was planning on inviting jealous ex-boyfriends to dinner.”

Joel’s eyebrows shot up in unison and now both Drew and Andrew looked like they were ready to bolt out of the restaurant and save themselves.

“Looks like all the stalking you did for that garbage thing you called an article paid off since you’re so well informed about everyone in Andrew’s life. I would venture to say you’re more of an obsessed fan than a hater. Perhaps Andrew needs to file a restraining order,” Aubrey burst out laughing, while Drew sat by uselessly.

Andrew decided once more to try and regain control of the situation. “Guys, this is my fault. I should have let everyone know whom I was inviting ahead of time. Seriously, it’s my bad. But please, this Foundation is really important to me, and I think both of you are crucial to making it successful. Can we try to look past our differences tonight and be friends just for one night while we discuss the Foundation?” Joel opened his mouth in anger but Andrew made a pleading face at him and suddenly he just nodded. “Fine,” he replied, almost in spite of himself.

Andrew then looked at Aubrey.

“Fine by me,” the writer replied, then picked up the menu and distracted himself by reading it. Joel watched him carefully, but Andrew couldn’t read his expression.

“So, not to make things awkward again, but I’m just curious, how did you guys manage to become friends after that whole article debacle?” Joel asked, taking another shot, as Andrew groaned inwardly. Not again.

“I think Andrew understands that the article wasn’t ill intentioned, I was just raising a few concerns,” Aubrey replied with a measured voice, still casually glancing over the menu. He was the only one who hadn’t been to the sushi joint before.

“Really? Talking about who he sleeps with wasn’t ill intentioned?” Now Aubrey raised his eyes to mete Joel’s. It appeared that he was being challenged, and he seemed more than ready for it. Andrew could see Drew sinking deeper and deeper into his seat.

“No, it just illuminates the bigger problem I was discussing of how prominent and promiscuous gay men make it easy for straight people to stereotype all gay men as sex maniacs.”

“There are millions of prominent and promiscuous straight men, surely if they’re allowed to live their lives how they please, so can a famous gay man.”

“It comes at a different cost. Everyone can live their lives as they please, I was just pointing out the greater ramifications that some people’s behavior has on an entire group of people.”

“I’m sorry but that’s completely ridiculous,” Joel blurted out, and finally Drew decided to butt in.

“I think Aubrey makes a solid point, no offense Andrew,” however Andrew could see that Drew meant it with all the offense he could muster. He decided to let it slide, there was already too much drama happening at the table, he didn’t need to add to it. On the other hand Joel was getting more and more aggravated.

“How so?”

“Andrew’s actions do reflect on the rest of the community, whether we want to admit it or not.”

“He’s an athlete, he’s not doing anything that other athletes aren’t doing, yet I don’t see any articles specifically attacking them for it. In fact, most straight men praise them for that type of behavior.”

“Is that how you justified what Andrew did to you? He’s an athlete, so it’s okay that he cheated?” Aubrey asked gently, and Andrew spun his head so fast he almost hurt his neck. Was Aubrey really going there? Joel appeared to be speechless for a moment.

“Obviously it’s not okay because we’re no longer together,” Joel replied, slowly. Andrew really hated the turn this conversation was taking. What was Aubrey thinking?

“But you’re still friends with him. Why?”

“Things aren’t black and white. Just because he was a shitty boyfriend doesn’t mean I don’t value him as a friend.”

“Ouch,” Andrew interjected, now looking at Joel.

“C’mon, you know you weren’t a great boyfriend.”

“Yeah, I guess I didn’t realize I was ‘shitty’ though. I thought I did pretty okay,” he replied, butthurt.

“Well walking in on you having sex with two Instagram models, then forgiving you, and then finding out you slept with a porn star…you wouldn’t call that shitty?”

“That was shitty, yes. But, what about the rest of it? ”

“Really guys, we have to do this now?” Drew asked, clearly uncomfortable with the conversation as well.

“I think we should let them have this conversation, Drew. I think it’s important they say what they need to say to each other instead of stifling it,” Aubrey butted in and everyone glared at him. The writer just shrugged his shoulders innocently, as if he wasn’t the one who had started this whole shitstorm.

“What rest of it? My birthday that you forgot? The fact that you spent our one year anniversary at the club with your guy friends? Or the fact that while we were dating you bought one of your other hookups a car as a gift?” Andrew was stumped. He had no idea Joel had been hurting about these things, he honestly didn’t even remember that he had done them. He sat looking at Joel in silence. He didn’t know what to say. An apology didn’t seem like it would cover the hurt he caused. But Joel continued, “It doesn’t matter anymore, I’ve gotten over it. And I do love you as a friend. But don’t kid yourself thinking that you were a good boyfriend.”

“There you go, now it’s all out in the open and we can breathe more easily,” Aubrey added, just as the waiter approached. Andrew wanted to choke him, but instead he began ordering food for the table. Once the waiter disappeared, the conversation turned back to Aubrey.

“That actually felt really good to get out. Thank you, Aubrey,” Joel said, then asked, “So are you planning on doing any other articles on Andrew?”

“Not as of right now, besides the Foundation article of course. I’m working on something slightly more important. No offense, Andrew.” Andrew was starting to get tired of people saying “no offense” while fully offending him.

“What could be more important than Andrew?” Joel asked, back to his good humor now, and making Aubrey chuckle. Andrew wasn’t sure what he feared more, these two men fighting or actually getting along and then ganging up against him. They were a fearsome duo.

“Gay rights in Iran, where homosexuality is still punishable by death. I’ve been thinking about it for a long time, but I haven’t had the tenacity to tackle it yet. It’s such a heavy subject. But I think I’m ready now. I think that’s what my next article is going to be.” The table was stumped. “I was thinking about it today, about what I really want to cover next. I think this is it.”

“Wow. You’re not actually thinking of going there, are you?” Joel asked, intrigued.

“I am, I don’t think I can really understand the full impact otherwise. I just have to line up some people I can interview.”

“What?” came the outraged question from Andrew, making everyone at the table turn to look at him. “That’s insane, and dangerous. No way you’re doing that.” Joel looked on curiously while Aubrey arched his brows.

“Oh, I’m definitely doing it,” he replied.

“You can interview everyone from here. There are phones there, you know?”

“I know, but it’s not the same.”

“Exactly. You won’t be worried about your life if you do it from here,” Andrew replied.

“I’ll be fine, really,” Aubrey stated. Andrew shook his head, outraged at the whole idea. This was not the time or the place for this conversation. And really, what right did he have to tell Aubrey where he could or could not go? But the idea made Andrew feel sick to his stomach for some reason, and suddenly the sashimi in front of him no longer looked appetizing.

“Back to the Foundation,” Aubrey redirected while Andrew recovered.

“Yes, I’m sure Andrew gave you the bare bones of it. The focus is helping disadvantaged youth. Kids who have had to go through challenging times. Everyone in the family is going to be involved on some level, but Andrew is going to be the main face of the foundation. The mission is fairly straight forward: we want to help out through education and through fitness. That would include scholarships, a sports camp, helping to rebuild or improve on school gyms and classrooms.”

“That sound wonderful,” Aubrey replied, appearing truly impressed. As Andrew looked on at the two men discussing the Foundation further, he felt hope that it all might work out after all.

 

***

Tom

 

Tom glanced over at Prince who was happily snoozing away on the couch, his head perched on a soft grey decorative pillow. He didn’t like the dog hair Prince left behind, but he’d given up on this fight. Instead of trying to kick him off every time, he made Aubrey promise that he would clean the couch intermittently. Of course, to Tom’s dismay, that promise had not been kept because Aubrey treated the dog like a member of the family. They would need to have another talk about this. Tom loved his partner, but he hated his habits. Aubrey was always running out the door, and leaving a half eaten yogurt on the kitchen table, a messy throw on the couch, a piece of toast on the living room coffee table. Aubrey was always on the chase for the next article, the next breaking story. He loved that about him, but he just wished he could change small little things, here and there, and then their relationships would be truly perfect. Like Aubrey’s credit score for example, which was finally slowly going up. Tom couldn’t understand the idea of a grown man being irresponsible enough to let his credit score decline to the point that he’d have trouble leasing an apartment on his own. He wanted to spend forever with Aubrey, but he just needed the writer to become responsible in all areas of his life.

Tom never much cared for animals. He tolerated Prince because Aubrey loved him, and he knew that if he wanted to be with Aubrey, he’d need to put up with the stinky bulldog as well. But this wasn’t his idea of the perfect home. Ideally, it would just be him and Aubrey. No pets, no kids, no noise or weird dog smells. He wanted a clean place, and nice library filled with books, and maybe a cozy fireplace that he and Aubrey could sit by while talking in the evening. Aubrey could read him a draft of a new article while the fire crackled nearby. The place would have a unique vintage decor.

But the way things were going, it didn’t look likely that they’d achieve that anytime soon. Aubrey’s money seemed to just dissolve into thin air constantly. As a writer, he didn’t make a whole lot to begin with. But he also didn’t use his brain when it came to money. This really irked Tom. He didn’t want to be stuck in a 2 bedroom apartment forever. All of their friends were moving up in life, buying houses, going on vacations. Meanwhile he couldn’t really do anything with Aubrey because the man couldn’t afford it, and out of principle Tom didn’t feel like it would be fair for him to have to pay for two tickets. He loved Aubrey, but this was 2019 and they were in a gay relationship. He wasn’t going to be a sugar daddy, things needed to be 50/50.

But, he wasn’t stupid. This wasn’t the right time to talk about any of it because he could already feel his partner drifting away from him. And he knew just who to blame: Andrew Thompson.

He had clearly underestimated the athlete. He should have listened to Kat when she said he was dangerous. And now his boyfriend was out at a dinner with him. But if Andrew Thompson thought he could just bulldoze Tom and Aubrey’s relationship for his own pleasure, he was wrong. Tom picked up his phone and texted Kat.

“A is working on a secret project for the douche. Know anything about it?” The reply was immediate.

“As a matter of fact, I just got a text message with details all about it. Thoughts?”

“Do what you do best, and I’ll take care of the rest. Just let me know when it’s ready.”

“Done deal,” she texted back. Tom pushed Prince off the couch, then sat back and smiled at the thought of Andrew Thompson’s soon-to-come media demise.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance to actual persons, business establishments or events is entirely coincidental. Comments and feedback are highly appreciated, send to mozlover21@gmail.com
Copyright © 2019 MozLover21; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 10
  • Wow 6
  • Angry 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

32 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

That freaking douche canoe!!!!!! Can't wait till this little pompous ass gets his comeuppance!!!! Glad the guys cleared the air though! Best part of the chapter. Sometimes the truth hurts but it needs to be said

Wow, you get a lot of points for reading so fast! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Danners said:

Here, here!

The article opened Andrew’s eyes to some of his faults but definitely didn’t cover more personal consequences. I’m glad Joel got to clear the air. Hopefully, now that he’s aware, Andrew can try to change how he treats those closest to him.

Is it wrong to imagine Prince leaving a royal . . . er, deposit in Tom’s favorite shoe? And then chase Kat up a tree? 

God I can imagine prissy little Tom now

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Danners said:

Here, here!

The article opened Andrew’s eyes to some of his faults but definitely didn’t cover more personal consequences. I’m glad Joel got to clear the air. Hopefully, now that he’s aware, Andrew can try to change how he treats those closest to him.

Is it wrong to imagine Prince leaving a royal . . . er, deposit in Tom’s favorite shoe? And then chase Kat up a tree? 

You guys are cracking me up 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Canuk said:

The reason Aubrey is drifting away is that Tom doesn't know his partner...

Great characters! The dialogue across the table at the restaurant was very well done. Great read.

Thanks

Appreciate the great feedback, thanks! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The argument in the car got Andrew to reconsider his strategy with Nelson. The conversation at dinner got him to consider his role as the “shitty boyfriend”. Overall, he seems to be making progress. A number of things going on here: the Foundation, Aubrey’s plan to go to Iran despite the danger and Andrew’s objection, and Tom’s and Kat’s scheme to bring Andrew down. Got anything else in store for us, MozLover?

I agree with Canuk; Aubrey is drifting away from Tom because Tom doesn’t really know or understand his partner.

Another good chapter, MozLover.

Edited by Arran
  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Arran said:

The argument in the car got Andrew to reconsider his strategy with Nelson. The conversation at dinner got him to consider his role as the “shitty boyfriend”. Overall, he seems to be making progress. A number of things going on here: the Foundation, Aubrey’s plan to go to Iran despite the danger and Andrew’s objection, and Tom’s and Kat’s scheme to bring Andrew down. Got anything else in store for us, MozLover?

I agree with Canuk; Aubrey is drifting away from Tom because Tom doesn’t really know or understand his partner.

Another good chapter, MozLover.

I do, I have a lot more in store! Appreciate the feedback 🙏

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow! The drama meter is about to go off the scale! I wish Aubrey would unclench, tell a few people to get lost, and give Andrew a chance. I also wish Aubrey would think more about earlier days when he was concerned about his writing and not what some people were saying. More good storytelling! Thanks. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Nothing like airing your dirty laundry and the dinner table, and to give Aubrey more fodder for his magazine, way to go Joel. ☹️
Drew seemed to shrink in his seat when Aubrey arrived, I wonder if there was something between them at one stage?
If Tom wants to get married to Aubrey he needs to stop playing around with Kat, what is that about? She is nothing but a vindictive, delusional bitch, who is determined to smear Andrew’a reputation. 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think Andrew thought of his "player" lifestyle as harmless and without serious consequences. He's starting to look at it differently.  I still think that Drew is the insider source, of course we now know that it is Kat's source, not Aubrey's.  I look forward to all the drama leading to Tom's downfall (hopefully).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..