Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 2,666 Words
  • 3,891 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Never Too Late To Change - 8. Forgotten?

Arrangements between Eric and Andy go awry.

It was nearly lunchtime. Eric had been sitting in the living room for quite a while, waiting for Andy to come and collect him. Andy had agreed to giving him a lift to the supermarket again the last time he'd phoned. Hadn't he? Eric wasn't so sure now. Why hadn't he made a proper note of it? He should've marked it on the calendar. Today. Or was it tomorrow? Today was Monday? He'd made a shopping list out specially, even though he wasn't feeling so good. A treat of a lift wasn't something to be given up lightly.

A coughing fit made him hunch up in his chair. His throat was swollen and sore, while his head felt as though it was stuffed with cotton wool. All the more reason to get some food in.

The doorbell rang.

Finally … Eric hauled himself out of his chair to open the door, only to find the postman standing there.

“Morning, Mr Whitehouse. Couple of letters for you. Only official ones, mind.”

They were almost always official ones, bills usually, or bloody advertising handouts. Eric couldn't hide his disappointment as he reached out for his post.

The postman noticed. “You OK? Expecting someone else, perhaps?”

Eric already had his coat and scarf on, to save time when Andy arrived. “Yes, but it doesn't matter.”

“Never mind. Perhaps they're running late. Look after yourself, now. You sound as though you're going down with something. See you later.” The postman turned and jogged back down the path,


Eric continued to sit and wait, just in case. He turned the telly on to pass the time. It had to be well past lunchtime. He was feeling hungry, but he didn't want to be caught eating when Andy arrived. When the programme ended, he checked the clock again. The old man sighed, stood up reluctantly, and took his coat and scarf off. Andy obviously wasn't coming.

He'd better get a bite to eat although his appetite had now lost its edge. There wasn't going to be much of a choice. Cheese. He'd still got some Cheddar left, and there was bread, even if it was the end of a sliced loaf from the previous week. Settled. He'd have to go shopping the next day, lift or no lift. That was assuming he hadn't gone down with something in the meantime.

As he was making the sandwich, Eric started shivering. Served him right for wearing his coat indoors. His winter fuel allowance had recently arrived in his bank account, so the old man decided to put the heating on for a bit, just until the place felt warmer. Taking his sandwich and his tea, he settled back down in his chair and watched some more TV while he ate. The programme, an afternoon soap, didn't hold his attention. He still felt shivery, and now a headache was looming as well.

Even though it was only part way through the afternoon, all Eric felt like doing was going to bed. He'd sleep it off – whatever it was – and wake up in the morning feeling better. He shuffled slowly into the kitchen, and tried to think what he needed to do before he went upstairs.

If he was going to bed now, he needed to take his evening doses with him. Eric tried to follow the pharmacist's sheet, but it made even less sense than usual. He forced himself to concentrate and slowly, he managed to assemble the right number of pills.

All he wanted to do now was to get into his bed. He made himself stop in the kitchen long enough to boil the kettle and fill a hot water bottle. Then he turned the heating off, and slowly hauled himself upstairs.


Andy was standing in the butcher's shop, trying to decide what he wanted to buy out of what was left. This late on a Monday afternoon, he was lucky there was anything at all to choose from. He'd been following up on some of his existing clientele, so he'd been delayed doing the food shopping. He could've gone to the supermarket, but he preferred to support the local food specialists when he could. Anyway, the meat was better quality, and he knew where it came from.

A random thought popped into his head. He should've taken Eric to the supermarket earlier in the day. He'd promised on Saturday, after the conversation with Adam. Fuck! How could he have forgotten? It was too late now; Adam would be back from work soon. Fuck, fuck. He'd better start putting Eric into his work diary … and the one at home. Idiot.

Andy took his phone out and called Eric's number. He wanted to apologise, but also to offer the next day as an alternative. As it happened, he had a free day. It would allow him time to talk to the old man, then start to make his claims for additions to his pension. Andy knew to let the phone ring, but there was no answer. Maybe Eric had decided to go to the pub? He'd try again first thing in the morning. Apart from the apology, nothing was that urgent. Still, he didn't like letting Eric down …

“Mr. Harper? What can I get you?”

Andy was stopped mid-thought by the question from the counter assistant. “Err... Sorry, I was miles away.” He glanced at the display to make sure his choices hadn't already been bought by other customers. “Half a kilo of minced lamb, thanks.”

He fancied making a shepherd's pie with the lamb – good, filling stuff for a mid-week supper. He paid for his purchase and headed home.


Once they'd eaten their supper, Andy and his fiancé stayed at the table and started talking through their Christmas plans.

Andy was keen to make a suggestion which had occurred to him while he'd been waiting in the butcher's. “Would it be OK to invite Eric over for Christmas lunch? Just for the meal, nothing else.”

This took Adam by surprise. He took a moment to gather his thoughts. “OK … What's brought this on?”

“I don't like the idea of him being on his own for the whole of Christmas Day. We always have masses of food left over.”

Adam sighed quietly. “Hun, have you mentioned this to Eric yet? For all you know, he might prefer not to have company. Or he may have made his own arrangements.”

Andy wasn't to be put off that easily. “I thought I'd better run it past you first before I spoke to Eric. I doubt he has any family, or friends, for that matter. He wouldn't be any trouble.”

His usual eagerness made Adam smile. “I'm sure he wouldn't be. I've got a lot of time for Eric. But that's not quite the point though, is it?”

Andy frowned. Adam reached out, and stroked his cheek. “Andy, love, Christmas Day is for family. We've always done it that way.”

Andy tried not to sulk. He thought of another argument. “But isn't it also about offering kindness to strangers?”

Adam patiently expanded on what he'd said. “Yes, it is. In the right circumstances. Think it through, love. Eric knows you, so he's reasonably relaxed when he's talking to you. He knows me much less well, and he hasn't made his mind up whether he likes me or not. We got through lunch OK the other week, but I got the impression of an armed truce as far as I was concerned.”

Andy gave an indignant snort.

Adam smiled back. “I think he sees me as an upper-class toff and therefore, not to be trusted. Anyway, my point is, what's Eric going to feel like, being thrust into the middle of a family gathering? There're going to be what, six, seven of us?”

Andy reluctantly sighed his acceptance. “You're right. He probably wouldn't say a word. Anyway, the chances are he'd take exception to being the object of our charity. He can be quite touchy about some things.”

Adam made his final point. “Never mind what my father would say if a random old man appeared out of nowhere for Christmas lunch. It doesn't take much to get him going.”

They rolled eyes and smiled wryly at each other. Adam's father liked his traditions, and could be very vocal if he didn't get them. Andy found it difficult enough to get on with him, so what were Eric's chances? Maybe it was best if Eric didn't come. Andy was disappointed – he'd been so pleased when he'd had the idea.

Adam got up to clear the table. He continued to chew over the problem while he washed-up. Mindless chores were quite useful sometimes. He didn't like refusing Andy something. What else could he suggest though? Doing something for Eric was a good idea – but what?

Then he had a sudden flash of inspiration. He tried it out on Andy who was next to him, drying the dishes. “How about, on Boxing Day, we both go round to visit Eric in the afternoon? We could take him some Christmas cake, mince pies and so on. And I should have some news for him, as well. So, it would be business and pleasure.”

Andy agreed enthusiastically. “We could even take him some cold turkey and stuffing … Oh, and some fresh veg. We could prepare the veg while we're there, and start it cooking in time for his tea.” He beamed. “I knew we'd get there. Eric will appreciate it, I'm sure.” He kissed Adam on the cheek happily. “I'll mention it to Eric when I see him tomorrow. I forgot I was meant to be taking him shopping today, so it'll be good to have a peace offering.”

Adam rolled his eyes. “You have indeed got a memory like a sieve. Condemned by your own admission.”

Andy pouted, then mock-glared at him. Adam grinned back. “Come on. Let's get this finished, then we can see what Netflix has to offer.”


Eric woke up in the middle of the night. His pajamas were sodden with sweat, and the sheets were damp. He felt like death warmed up and he needed the loo. Slowly, he levered himself out of bed. It seemed to need much more effort than usual. Eric shuffled towards the bathroom, his bare feet dragging on the wooden floor. He nearly went flying as one of his feet got caught on the mat just inside the bathroom. The old man clung onto the door until he found his balance again. Blasted thing!

He was shivering badly by the time he headed back to bed. His pajamas needed changing for something dry. Eric stood at the chest of drawers, and, one by one, opened them. He couldn't remember which one contained what he needed, so he pulled things out at random until he had something that would do – a pair of longjohns and a long-sleeved pullover.

The old man almost collapsed down onto the bed, clumsily pulling the bedclothes back over his shivering frame. Exhausted, he was asleep almost as soon as his head hit the pillow.


The following morning, Andy tried phoning his client again, several times. There was still no reply. Eric wouldn't have gone out already? It was only half eight. He was starting to feel worried although he was sure there was a simple explanation. Adam had already left for work, so he snatched up his wallet, phone, and keys, then locked up and headed outside.

Andy drove the short distance to the cottage, wondering what on earth might have happened. However much he told himself he was overreacting, he still felt anxious. As he parked up on the road outside the cottage, he heard noises coming from the overgrown garden.

What the hell was going on? Whose voices were those? He thought he'd better investigate. Being strong and fit, Andy didn't scare easily. He made no secret of his movements, hoping to flush out whoever was making the row.

As he strode round to the back of the cottage, he was brought up short by the sight of two teens fooling around on the grass. They'd been smoking, by the smell that was hanging around, and there was an unopened bottle of cheap cider nearby. Another, younger looking kid was relieving himself against the wall of the cottage. A can of what looked suspiciously like spray paint was on the ground behind him. All three of them were definitely school age. No older than what … thirteen, fourteen?

Andy was getting angrier by the minute. He let fly. “Oi, you lot! What the fuck d'you think you're doing? Why aren't you in school?”

All three of them turned to look at him. One of the older pair decided to answer back. “Wha's it to you? … Tosser.” They all sniggered.

“You shouldn't bloody be here. This is private property.”

The same teen mimicked him. “You shouldn't bloody be here ...” Sniggering, again.

His companion joined in. “He means it's the paedo's. Don't ya, big man?”

The younger kid was just standing there, looking on.

The first teen butted in. “Why yeh visitin' the paedo, big man? Aren't yeh too old for him? Wha' – yeh're a' least fifty.”

All three collapsed in mocking giggles. Andy was riled. He took several deep, steadying breaths.

He took his phone out, and made a show of holding it in his hand. “The old man who lives here is just that, an old man. He doesn't deserve to be insulted by mindless idiots like you three. And, as I've said, you've no business being here. I'm calling your school, and reporting you as truants. And I'll be telling them exactly what I think of your behaviour.”

The first teen got up and interrupted him.“Me dad ses he's a fag. Fags, paedos, same thing, innit?”

Andy walked right up to him, almost standing on the teen's trainers. Fortunately, he was much the taller, and the bulkier, of the two.

He was filled with a sudden icy fury. “They are not the fucking same. You and your mates are so fucking ignorant, it's unbelievable. What d'you think you're gonna do with your lives? Bunking off school half the time … What jobs d'you think you're gonna get? If any. So, is it gonna be booze, living off the social, and doing fuck all?”

His contempt and anger were almost palpable. The teen backed off. Then he was joined by his mates. Andy made a show of phoning the local high school. As soon as he started talking to someone at the school, they ran off, shouting insults.


Why were there still kids like that? Andy was feeling frustrated. His conversation with the school's head had been useful, but he felt it needed following up somehow. Somebody to go into the school, and talk to the kids about the LGBT community? They needed to see that gay people were just like anyone else. Another thing to talk to Adam about sometime.

How often they'd been lurking in the garden? They looked as though it was one of their usual haunts. Had they been causing Eric trouble? He couldn't imagine the answer was no. Another thing worried him. How had Eric got himself labelled as gay? As far as he could tell, Eric had barely acknowledged his sexuality to himself in the past, never mind anyone else.

Andy frowned. He needed to get back to the real purpose of his visit.

He walked quickly round to the front of the cottage and rang the doorbell. There was no reply. He rang again. Then he peered in through the kitchen window. No signs of life there, or in the living room. Andy went back to the front door and hammered on it.

Then he bent down, opened the letter flap and started shouting through it. “Eric! Eric, it's me, Andy! Are you OK?”

With my usual thanks to Parker Owens.
Please leave a comment - I'm always glad to read them all.
There's also a story topic - conversations can be continued there.
  
Copyright © 2018 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 4
  • Sad 7
  • Angry 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

This started out in late 2016 as my first attempt at a multi-part story. I remember pestering @Parker Owens for his agreement for me to start posting after I'd produced ... four chapters or thereabouts.   His wise counsel prevailed, and I've spent a long time both completing this part, and refining the writing so it comes up to my current standards.   The reception of the first two chapters has been such that I've ventured to start this story topic.   Feel free to discuss or
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



not good... Eric needs one of those alarms. have to hope Andy is there in time. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh, poor Eric! Being sick is terrible. Being sick alone, cold and completely without food is much worse. Andy needs to get closer to him and take him under his wing, without Eric noticing of course. Stealth carer. That is an apt title.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

With all his gadgets, why didn’t Andy just add Eric to the calendar on his cellphone (oops, sorry) mobile to remind him he promised to take Eric shopping? And wouldn’t the truants have been more scared if Andy had taken a picture of them, again using his mobile, with their paint can and cider? A picture might have let the school identify who they were!

 

I‘m afraid I’d be as forgetful [irresponsible] as Andy if I ever signed up to volunteer. The fact that it’s unpaid doesn’t mean it’s not a job with the associated expectation of showing up. I need something where I can drop in when I feel like working, not according to a prearranged schedule.  ;-)

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Oh, poor Eric! Being sick is terrible. Being sick alone, cold and completely without food is much worse. Andy needs to get closer to him and take him under his wing, without Eric noticing of course. Stealth carer. That is an apt title.

Andy doesn’t seem to realize just how close to the edge Eric lives. Eric doesn’t have a fully-stocked pantry to rely on if he misses out on shopping day. Eric just barely scrapes by with his microscopic food budget! He crosses a tightrope without a safety net every week!

Link to comment

Like @droughtquake I assumed Andy would start taking pictures of them, but perhaps that would have sparked an attack. :unsure:  But I'm glad he was there to tell them off, so I guess that was a sort of bonus to him forgetting the promise to Eric, which was a really awful thing to do. I hope he can get Eric some help if he's ill, either taking him to the hospital or getting hold of a nurse or home carer if something like that exists. It would be what I would do in Denmark.

Visiting Eric on Boxing Day is a much better idea than inviting him over for Christmas. And like Andy I wonder how those kids and the parent knew about Eric. Talking to the local school might be a good idea, but Andy should focus on Eric's needs for now.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 20/04/2018 at 5:07 PM, Canuk said:

not good... Eric needs one of those alarms. have to hope Andy is there in time. 

Indeed. Let's just say it's not suddenly going to turn into a hospital drama ...  ;)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 20/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, Ivor Slipper said:

Ah, a cliffhanger!  Canuk likes those :lol:

Not a cliff, really. Something more minor. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 20/04/2018 at 6:06 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh, poor Eric! Being sick is terrible. Being sick alone, cold and completely without food is much worse. Andy needs to get closer to him and take him under his wing, without Eric noticing of course. Stealth carer. That is an apt title.

Stealth carer! I love that. Andy's only about 3 weeks into his new 'job', so I think he still has quite some way to go.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, northie said:

Not a cliff, really. Something more minor. 

No, a cliffy is a cliffy is a cliffy. There are no "grades" of cliffy!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Canuk said:

No, a cliffy is a cliffy is a cliffy. There are no "grades" of cliffy!

:P OK ... I can now why @Ivor Slipper mentioned you in relation to cliffhangers. All will be resolved next time, and I think that's the only one. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

@droughtquake  Don't forget in all this, Andy is still only about three weeks in as a volunteer. I imagine he hasn't quite got into the habit of including visits to Eric in his work calendar. Which, by the way, I imagine to be accessible via any device ...  :P 

 

Your other points, I'll answer in the story topic.  :) 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 20/04/2018 at 6:25 PM, droughtquake said:

Andy doesn’t seem to realize just how close to the edge Eric lives. Eric doesn’t have a fully-stocked pantry to rely on if he misses out on shopping day. Eric just barely scrapes by with his microscopic food budget! He crosses a tightrope without a safety net every week!

I think Andy does realise in theory, but still not in fact. He is still learning though. Eric's position is faced by very many people on limited, fixed incomes.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 20/04/2018 at 6:35 PM, Timothy M. said:

And like Andy I wonder how those kids and the parent knew about Eric

This is a small rural town. Although I never say, I imagine the population to be about 10, 000 - 15,000 - so, not big. Long time residents like Eric become noticed over the years, especially by other people who've lived there for ages. Rumours can start from nothing more than someone's warped imagination. Eric's male, single, never seen to have a romantic partner ...  :unsure:  So it moves from him being probably gay to ... Human nature at its best. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, northie said:

Eric's position is faced by very many people on limited, fixed incomes.

Those who are in charge of creating new terms decided that Food Security and Food Insecurity were the appropriate words. They're used to describe populations as large as countries or continents and as small as families and individuals. On the smallest scales, it could have to do with the cost of food (as with Eric) or it could have to do with access (as in ghetto-type environments where residents are forced to do their grocery shopping in small convenience stores, gas stations, and liquor stores since larger, most economical options avoid the area for more profitable suburbs). I was shocked the first time I noticed that a gas station I used to patronize sold gallon (3.87 L) jugs of milk through their payment window!

 

In the case of cost prohibitions, many urban and suburban areas have food banks to supply free food (often donated edible, but date expired foods or excess farm produce). In the case of access limitations, some cities (such as San Francisco) are working with convenience stores to increase the amount of fresh and nutritious foods available. Farmers Markets are another way to increase availability of fresh produce in urban areas.

 

Eric is in a very difficult position since he does not live in a more highly populated area and the resources are few or nonexistent. It sounds like the UK doesn’t have a food stamps-type program like the US. The US Department of Agriculture runs the program, now rebranded SNAP (or CalFresh in California) and they use EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cards to distribute subsidies to very low income households. Consumers can purchase groceries (including snacks and convenience food, but not prepared hot food, alcohol, pet food, or hygiene supplies) using the debit-like card. The card is refilled once a month. In some places, grocery stores are packed at midnight when the funds are deposited and customers rush to buy food.

 

One problem is that many consumers waste their funds on soda, snack food, deserts, and other junk food. On the one hand, no one is teaching SNAP users how to prepare meals from scratch with cooking classes or even recipes (although most large grocery stores and food manufactures offer them online – but we know the catch here!). On the other hand, any moves to require those things would punish people like Eric who struggle with food preparation due to his physical disabilities.

 

 

When I was homeless, there was one shelter that allowed clients to use kitchen facilities. CalFresh meant that I was able to buy a wider variety of foods than were supplied by the County (trays from the nearby County Jail, prepared by the inmates, and delivered by Sheriffs). I was able to buy salad fixings that were ignored by the shadier residents who would steal ice cream and other more sought out treats.  ;-)

 

There is widespread cheating of the system with many CalFresh recipients selling their benefits at fifty cents on the dollar! Purchasers not only get a 50% discount, but they avoid the grocery bag fees. Sellers of benefits often waste the cash on drugs, alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and vending machine snacks!

 

I was getting $200/month. When I first applied (before I became homeless), I was able to purchase a months worth of groceries for significantly less than the $200 I was getting (I didn’t buy a lot of meat). Even now my monthly grocery budget is under $200. I have my mother to thank for teaching me how to buy things on sale, avoid buying too many prepared products, and cooking basic foods.  ;-)

Link to comment

@droughtquake, this is neither time nor place to get into discussion re support for low income earners/ the unemployed. BUT, I have to say EVERY civilised country except the US has moved  beyond "food stamps" for its social safety net.  Yes, some countries including Canada where I live use the truly apalling system called "employment insurance" as a poor excuse for a safety net. The vast majority have a universal income tested system that can be called "welfare". Until we can work out a UBI, its the best on offer. 

Expecting people to feed themselves on $200 a month is punishing someone for being poor, unemployed, unable to be employed. It should not be applauded any where any time. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Canuk said:

@droughtquakeExpecting people to feed themselves on $200 a month is punishing someone for being poor, unemployed, unable to be employed. It should not be applauded any where any time. 

I live in an area with an extremely high cost of living and I was still able to keep my budget below the $200 allotment without the assistance of the food bank.

 

They took my fingerprints and what was essentially a mug shot when I applied for benefits. The offices where you apply for benefits have extremely long lines in order to discourage applicants. Those are the ‘punishments’ for the crime of being poor in California!

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I live in an area with an extremely high cost of living and I was still able to keep my budget below the $200 allotment without the assistance of the food bank.

 

They took my fingerprints and what was essentially a mug shot when I applied for benefits. The offices where you apply for benefits has extremely long lines in order to discourage applicants. Those are the ‘punishments’ for the crime of being poor in California!

 

I feel embarrased for my ignorance. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Andy’s heart is in the right place , but he’s more spontaneous than practical or realistic , thank heavens Adam is more focused and able to pander to Andy in an executable manner. I hope Eric has not developed pneumonia as it can be really dangerous for the elderly! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, deville said:

Andy’s heart is in the right place

Yes, it is, but as you say, he's not the most thoroughly organised of souls. Wonder how he does in his paid work? Hmm ...  :P However, as I've said elsewhere, he's only been volunteering 'in the field' for 3 weeks or so. Hopefully he'll improve.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A dramatic and alarming turn to this chapter. Eric on his own is so vulnerable both to illness and to the nonsense of unruly teens/others. I fear for him.

Andy let him down badly by forgetting he was supposed to come on Monday. What was a minor to Andy was very major to Eric. But then before Andy was around there was no-one to help anyway, so even a disorganised Andy is better than no-one at all. Just so unfortunate that Eric has taken ill as well, though it's hardly surprising. Poor Eric.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Jaro_423 said:

Eric on his own is so vulnerable

Yes, like many older people. Even things like the phone's downstairs and he isn't. In extremis he could manage to get it probably, but the risk of an accident would be greatly increased. Andy's enthusiasm perhaps outweighs his practicality at this point, but he has the capacity to improve.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

For your readers on the left side of the great sea 'half-a-kilo' is about one pound -- weight, not currency, but even Brits do not use pounds\shillings\pence any more do you? -- and would be enough minced meat -ground lamb- to make a dish for two, especially a shepherd's pie with its crust of mashed potato and chopped veggies.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

For your readers on the left side of the great sea 'half-a-kilo' is about one pound -- weight, not currency, but even Brits do not use pounds\shillings\pence any more do you? -- and would be enough minced meat -ground lamb- to make a dish for two, especially a shepherd's pie with its crust of mashed potato and chopped veggies.

The Brits never adopted the Euro and now they’re leaving the EU (European Union) anyway.  ;–)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..