Jump to content
    northie
  • Author
  • 2,598 Words
  • 3,910 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Never Too Late To Change - 9. Cold

Eric experiences something for the first time. He wishes he'd discovered it sooner.

Hazel Thompson had another client to add to her already full roster. She was limited now to fifteen minutes per home visit, but she still struggled to fit everyone in at an acceptable time. Nobody wanted their breakfast at eleven, or their tea and evening pills at three in the afternoon either. As she drove along the road to her first visit of the day, she realised she was passing Eric Whitehouse's cottage. Her new client, an elderly woman, was the only person who lived out that way. Hazel slowed down as she approached the cottage. Then on a spur of the moment decision, she pulled up on the pavement close by. It wouldn't matter if she arrived a couple of minutes late, seven was early enough for most retired people.

Hazel sometimes wondered how the old man was getting on without help. He wasn't that physically restricted, otherwise he would have been kept on the roster. It was more his loneliness. The fact that if she didn't visit him, he could've gone several days without somebody speaking to him. She still had his phone number somewhere. During her morning break, she'd give him a ring. Surprise him. … Sitting there wasn't getting the show on the road. Hazel gathered herself, put the car into gear, and set off again.


In the morning, Eric lay in bed, feeling poorly, and sorry for himself. He was thirsty, and stupid with a bugger of a feverish cold. Typical. So he hadn't slept it off. A sigh turned into a cough. What was he going to do about food? He'd run out of almost everything. Not that he was feeling particularly hungry, despite not eating much the day before.

He wasn't even sure he'd be able to get downstairs. Another trip to the bathroom had shown him that he was still unsteady on his feet. Thankfully, he'd managed not to trip on the mat this time. His home help had rescued him when he'd last been this bad. Even with Andy around, Eric still missed Hazel. He'd always known which days to expect her – it unsettled him, not knowing when Andy was next going to be available.

So, how was he going to get downstairs? Everything he needed was there – kettle, phone, telly, even his sodding pills. He was desperate for a cuppa. Maybe he could get down the stairs on his backside, one step at a time. He'd have trouble pulling himself back upright again though, even with something to hang onto.

Eric tried to summon up the energy to get out of bed again and get dressed, but failed. The bed was still warmer than the rest of cottage, and he didn't feel as though he'd be leaving it anytime soon. The tea would have to wait for a bit.

As he continued to huddle under the bedclothes, Eric heard voices coming from outside, through the bedroom window. He recognised them. How many times had they caused trouble before? Too many – he'd lost count long ago. Always the same group of teenage lads, baiting him with their hateful, taunting yobbery. Paedo. Fag. There they were again, shouting their mindless obscenities. Sticks and stones … ? Words did hurt, and they made him feel unsafe. Eric snorted in disgust, then started coughing again.

The last time he'd dared confront the teenagers, he'd been on the point of calling the police. He'd just gone inside to use the phone, when they suddenly decided to clear off. He'd been scared and then furious when he'd seen the vandalism – the graffiti, and the mess. Another time, they formed a circle with him in the middle, jeering and swearing at him. He'd been saved by his home help, who had fearlessly stormed in, and given each of them a piece of her mind. Not that the police would've done anything apart from give him advice if he had called them. Bloody useless. Maybe when the garden had been cleaned up, they'd find somewhere else to go.

Then he heard another, adult voice, raised in anger. As he listened, he recognised that one as well, but in a good way. It was Andy's. What was he doing there? The young man had been due yesterday. Good on him, though. Maybe that would give the bastards something to think about.

Wondering about Andy's sudden arrival, set his mind running in another direction. Had he locked the front door? He'd been so distracted the previous afternoon, he couldn't remember whether he had or not. The noise outside had died down – Eric could still hear voices, but they weren't shouting anymore. He hadn't given Andy a front door key – he didn't know him well enough yet for that sort of thing. And anyway, he didn't have one spare. … Should he …

Eric dozed off again despite what was going on outside.


Although Andy didn't get any response from his shouting, somehow he felt sure that Eric was inside. He tried the door handle and the front door opened straight away.

Hmm … he'd better talk to the old man about security, and sooner rather than later. Particularly with those bloody kids about.

As he stepped inside, he called out loudly. “Eric? It's Andy.”

Andy did a cursory check of the downstairs rooms to make sure that the old man wasn't lying injured somewhere. Then he went to the bottom of the stairs and called again, louder this time.

“Eric? It's Andy. Can I come up?”

He heard coughing coming from the bedroom. He took that as a 'yes'.

God, it was cold, and the damp was almost palpable.

Andy went to turn the central heating on before he went upstairs. He turned it up high. Even if it was only on for an hour or two, it would get the worst of the chill off. That ancient, portable radiant heater looked a real fire hazard. He'd have to ask Eric about getting a replacement, something safer and more efficient.

He ran up the stairs, two at a time, then knocked on the bedroom door before going in. If anything, it was colder still in the bedroom. Eric was lying in bed, looking distinctly the worse for wear. Andy sat close by on the edge of the mattress, and looked at him sympathetically.

“Morning, Eric. You not feeling too good?”

He got a croak in reply. The younger man smiled at Eric, and tried again. “What d'you think's the matter then?”

“Bad night. … I'm feeling like shit.” The old man tried to sit up more. Andy reached behind Eric to rescue the pillow and helped him get more comfortable.

Eric looked grey, tired. His eyes were dulled, and it seemed as though he'd shrunk into himself. He coughed again and sniffled.

“Got a bloody awful cold. … Sweated like a pig … woke up in the middle of the night, soaked through.”

That sort of explained the curious mess of clothes on the floor, and the open drawers. Andy had wondered about them, and the fact Eric was wearing a pullover in bed.

“I'm chilled to the bone, bloody frozen. … I'm dying for a cuppa. … Didn't know whether I could get down the stairs. …” Andy saw the glint of tears in Eric's eyes. “Couldn't phone or anything.” A gulp, almost a sob, interrupted what the old man was saying. It was followed by a bout of coughing.

Andy easily imagined Eric's distress, his fear, loneliness. Being ill, and so isolated. And those effing, bloody kids. Andy shook his head briefly. He would have to get him to agree to some changes – Eric needed to be able to contact someone, him, for god's sake, when next he was sick.

Andy leant over and smoothed back Eric's greying hair from his forehead, then he gave him a brief but affectionate kiss on the cheek. “You're gonna be OK – I'm here now.”

A ghost of a smile appeared on Eric's face. “That's my first kiss from a man. Ever …”

He could still feel it. Andy's lips briefly caressing his skin. The soft scrape of his beard. Tender, concerned. Caring. Was this what he'd been missing all his life? He felt as though he'd just been let into a secret. Finally.

Andy watched the surprise and wonder drift across Eric's face. No words. He just raised his eyebrows, and smiled at the old man, who was still a little dazed. Absolutely not best practice, but something that was very much needed, he thought.

After a moment, Andy decided a change of mood was in order. “OK, you. What d'you feel like doing? Do you want to stay in bed, or shall I help you get downstairs? I've turned the heating on high, so hopefully it'll have warmed up reasonably soon.”

Andy suddenly remembered the night-time sweats, and how cold Eric currently was. A bath would be a quick way of warming him up.

“Or how about a good, hot bath? I could make sure you're OK, and I can change the bedlinen while you're having a soak.”

A bath? Eric didn't know the last time he'd had a bath. The thought of soaking away his aches and pains in hot water was irresistible. And he wouldn't have to worry about getting out again, either.

“Ooh … a bath, please. … You'll have to put the immersion heater on first. … It'll take an hour or so to heat the water up.” Eric had another coughing fit. Andy could see he was pinched with cold.

“OK.” Andy hurried to the bathroom to get the water heater going. As he came back into the bedroom, he put his hand on the radiator to test the heat. It was still stone cold.

Eric watched him. “That one don't work. Nor the one in the bathroom.”

Andy swore under his breath. Adam had better get results from buttonholing the cottage's owner, otherwise he'd be using rather less diplomatic routes.

“Right … Let's get you dressed and downstairs. I'll get you some breakfast while we're waiting for the water.”

Eric's answering cackle quickly dissolved into coughs. “There's nothing for … breakfast. You know I can't afford … to stock up with stuff. … I used the last of the bread yesterday.”

Which had come about because he'd fucked up. Andy kicked himself yet again for the previous day's neglect. Oh well. He was doing the best he could to make up for it now.

Andy smiled at his client. “You must have some tea left? And there's still water on tap?”

Eric grinned briefly and nodded.

Between them, Eric got dressed. Then Andy concentrated on clearing the remaining clothes up off the floor. Everything put away, he headed out of the bedroom. Eric was loitering at the top of the stairs, obviously unwilling to go down them on his own.

He looked embarrassed. “I'm not that steady on my feet today.”

Andy thought briefly about carrying him down, but dismissed that in favour of something he'd done for his gran when she was still alive.

“I'll be on the step ahead of you. If you feel unsteady, rest your hands on my back until you feel better. We'll take it at your speed. OK?”


Andy was gathering his belongings again in preparation for a quick trip to the supermarket. Eric's breakfast wasn't going to appear any other way.

“Right, Eric. You've got your tea, the water heater's on. What else? You warm enough?”

Eric was sitting in his chair, his hands wrapped round a mug of tea that was balanced on his lap. He should've put it on the table next to him, but he wanted the warmth of the mug close by. The living room still wasn't that warm, though the radiators were gradually making a difference. Andy must've turned the central heating controller up high. It would cost a fortune no doubt, but that was what the winter fuel payment was for, he supposed.

He nodded in reply, then looked up and smiled at Andy. Just having the young man there made him feel better. He'd got himself into a right state earlier. Hmm … Maybe he'd have to think about that? Perhaps Andy could suggest things which might help in the future.

Then Eric remembered he had something to give to Andy, and he scrabbled around one-handedly to find it. Finally, he produced a crumpled piece of paper from down the side of his chair.

“Here's my shopping list. Wrote it yesterday, of course.” He handed it over to Andy with a slight smile.

The young man's eyes widened. “Eric … Fuck. I'm sorry. That's why I came over this morning – to apologise. Yesterday was entirely my fault. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.”

“Andy, there's nothing to worry about. I'm just glad you came when you did.” Eric blew his nose to disguise any emotions that might have been on display otherwise.

Andy smiled, and gently ruffled Eric's hair on his way out. “I'll see you later. Shouldn't be too long.”


Now on his own, Eric's mind kept on returning to the kiss, giving him action replays from various angles. He could almost imagine that the feeling, the imprint, was still there. He touched his cheek, expecting to find what? A mark? Some sort of lasting scar?

Would he ever have another one? He knew Andy shouldn't have given it him because he was Andy's client. Perhaps the young man would also become a friend? Did friends kiss each other? Eric tried to think of what he'd watched on the telly. There wasn't any point of expecting a kiss from anybody else. Part of him felt sad. Something so simple, yet so amazing. But it was better to have been kissed once, than continuing through his life without knowing what he was missing. Hnh … Or so he'd have to keep on repeating to himself. Why did he have to discover kissing now?

Eric sighed. His tea was still there, and he took a drink of it before it got too cold. He was very thirsty – not surprising really, given how much he'd sweated during the night. Hopefully, it wouldn't be too long before he had some food to go with it. He got up and shuffled into the kitchen to see whether Andy had made a pot. He had just sat down with his refilled mug, when the phone started ringing. Muttering under his breath, Eric struggled back up and went to answer it.

“Hello?”

Hello. Mr Whitehouse? It's Hazel. Hazel Thompson.

His home-help? Eric hardly knew what to say. “Err … Hello.” Then he coughed again.

I passed your cottage earlier, so I was wondering how you were. You sound as though you've caught a cold?

“Yes. Since yesterday.”

Oh, dear. Otherwise, you're OK? You got someone to help you?

“Yes, from a local charity.” Eric wanted to tell her about Andy, but couldn't find the words at such short notice. “They're very good. The young man is helpful and pleasant.”

I'm glad. I don't like to think of you all on your own. You ready for Christmas? Not long now, is it?

Eric didn't know how to reply. Christmas was nothing special, as far as he was concerned.

“Err …”

Anyway, that's my break over. Look after yourself, won't you? I'll phone again sometime.

“Bye, Hazel. Thanks for calling.”

My pleasure.

Eric put the phone down. There was another person who cared.

My thanks to Parker Owens who was particularly helpful when I was first writing this chapter.
I'd love to read your comments here, or on the story topic:
 
Copyright © 2018 northie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 14
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

This started out in late 2016 as my first attempt at a multi-part story. I remember pestering @Parker Owens for his agreement for me to start posting after I'd produced ... four chapters or thereabouts.   His wise counsel prevailed, and I've spent a long time both completing this part, and refining the writing so it comes up to my current standards.   The reception of the first two chapters has been such that I've ventured to start this story topic.   Feel free to discuss or
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I'm so glad there are people who care now. Had me worried at the end of the last chapter

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What do you think will happen? Will Eric gain family through Andy? Will he move somewhere more suitable  and find a first love ? 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Aside from the bedroom and bathroom radiators not working, is it possible that there’s something else wrong with the heating that makes it cost so much while not heating the cottage? You’d think that if half of the system isn’t working, it’d be less expensive to run. Maybe they can force the landlord to replace it with a more efficient system!  ;–)

 

My impression is that here in the US, the ‘solution’ would be to place someone like Eric in an expensive assisted care facility even though providing a home care assistant would be less expensive. Because the rules don’t allow much flexibility or for logic to interfere with regulations. But of course, some people think privatizing everything will make them cheaper and more efficient – which doesn’t make sense because the profit doesn’t just magically appear out of thin air!  ;–)

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I'm so glad there are people who care now. Had me worried at the end of the last chapter

Well, that's the trouble with a cliffhanger, isn't it?  But it's all right now.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Puppilull said:

And like that, connections are formed. Connections forming a net to catch Eric before he falls. I'm glad he's realizing this too. 

Yes, after the various frights, Eric's realising that he's not alone. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Sweetlion said:

So sad, Eric loneliness... But he is accepting Andy, even with his mistakes, so hopefully he will see that some people care.

Yes, loneliness compounded by being sick is not good. It makes Eric realise even more that he needs ongoing support. Andy's not perfect, but there is a connection growing between the two men.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

What do you think will happen? Will Eric gain family through Andy? Will he move somewhere more suitable  and find a first love ? 

I, of course, know to some degree at least ...  This story is only the first part of a longer tale so things are moving at a leisurely pace. Thanks for commenting. :) I hope you stick with Eric while he makes his journey. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

talk to Eric about heating and find out why it's kept on low.

The simple answer to this is expense. Like many older people, Eric worries about not having enough money to meet essentials. And as electricity is billed quarterly, it's the worry of having sufficient reserves to pay when the bill appears. This overrides the desire to be warm, even in winter. Of course, being a vulnerable individual, he wouldn't be disconnected, but that sort of logic isn't necessarily that obvious to older people. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, northie said:

The simple answer to this is expense. Like many older people, Eric worries about not having enough money to meet essentials. And as electricity is billed quarterly, it's the worry of having sufficient reserves to pay when the bill appears. This overrides the desire to be warm, even in winter. Of course, being a vulnerable individual, he wouldn't be disconnected, but that sort of logic isn't necessarily that obvious to older people. 

California requires utilities to offer a plan that averages out the costs so there aren’t dramatic jumps in the bills. Of course, our utilities bill monthly, so they’re easier to budget for in any case. The utilities also offer subsidies for low income individuals (like me) too.  ;–)

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

California requires utilities to offer a plan that averages out the costs so there aren’t dramatic jumps in the bills. Of course, our utilities bill monthly, so they’re easier to budget for in any case. The utilities also offer subsidies for low income individuals (like me) too.  ;–)

You can pay monthly through direct debit and the amount is averaged out across the year. However, Eric doesn't really manage his bank account like that. I imagine him as a cash or cheque only kind of guy. Another thing for Andy to get round to sometime .... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, northie said:

You can pay monthly through direct debit and the amount is averaged out across the year. However, Eric doesn't really manage his bank account like that. I imagine him as a cash or cheque only kind of guy. Another thing for Andy to get round to sometime .... 

I have my regular bills automatically paid through my Credit Union (better and less expensive than a bank). They automatically send payments to my landlord and for my internet access. Since utility bills change every month, they pull the payment from the account, again automatically. All of this prevents me from forgetting to pay. It’s much easier and less stressful for me. It took a little work setting up and more work when the payment amount changes, but it’s pretty easy. They don’t even ask me to pay the postage when they have to send a physical check (some payments are electronic transfers).  ;–)

 

It’s something someone like Andy could do for Eric if the local bank offers the service.

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

@droughtquake For electricity costs - it might be the tariff he's on. The general state of the cottage won't be helping either, and there's overriding fear amongst the elderly of incurring costs that can't be met. His independence is key to his existence in a way, again like many older people. Take that away, and they lose the ability to cope with life, and to care about it. This doesn't apply to everybody, of course - it is just a generalisation, but one which Eric falls into.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, Canuk said:

the perils of being old and dependent. 

his housing sounds really unsuitable. Apart from the lack of economical heating, the hot water situation, the stairs and the lack of security... honestly he'd be better off in a one bed apartment near local shops.  but when you are old and frail, how do you arrange that without some well meaning bureaucrat sticking you in a home?

Indeed ... And to obtain a flat in most 'sheltered' accommodation developments, you need either something to sell, or sufficient income to rent one. Neither is possible for Eric. He has security for the cottage if he remembers to lock the door ... As for the teens, hopefully now Eric has more visitors, they'll find somewhere else to go.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, dughlas said:

Progress, still a long way yet to go.

If everything was solved in a trice, there wouldn't be a story ...  :P  But very true, dugh.  :) 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
19 hours ago, deville said:

For the moment it’s a blessing Eric left the front door unlocked , but he will need to be more careful , those teenagers sound like trouble . Eric’s reaction to the kiss , is touching but also so incredibly sad . 

Yes, but there are people who haven't had any intimacy with another for whatever reason. I hardly think Eric is alone in this - particularly for one of his generation. The kiss is another new experience to add to so many others.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, everett Weedin jr said:

A beautifully tender chapter.  So touching.  Wonderful to read.

Thank you! I'm very glad the chapter meant so much to you.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Eric's first kiss had me in tears. So beautifully described and so very tender in spite of how momentary it was. I guess Andy had no idea of the effect it had, but it's almost been the key to a change in Eric. He's not grumbling and complaining! How such a simple thing can have such a deep impression. And Andy does care deeply in spite of his serious lapse in forgetting he was supposed to come the day before. And now Hazel has called too. Another touch from another one reaching out. I'm really getting quite lost in this story and loving it. Thank you.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..