Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

No going back - 15. Colin 6

On the walk from the Minster to the pub, the party divided into two. Joe walked ahead with Owain whilst Colin found himself next to Mhairi.

"I wanted to speak to you" Colin's heard rather sank, expecting a big sister talk about Owain. "I was wondering if you might come and advise me on work at the house".

Not what Colin had been expecting, “Renovations?”

"Owain probably told you, we're due a bit of money once Dad's estate is settled and I wanted to use some to sort the house out.”

“What age is it? Post-war?”

“Certainly. And in decent nick. I mainly need do something about getting into the garden from the kitchen. We can see the garden from the kitchen window, but to get out you have to go through a rabbit warren of utility rooms. And the bathrooms need sorting too, living with a teenage boy, I need more than one bathroom and a downstairs cloak room!"

Colin smiled and agreed, "I can come over some time, certainly."

"It would be good to get an idea what's possible and affordable."

"We can fix a date now, if you want?", Colin got his phone out.

"Wow, wonders of modern technology!"

"Next Thursday?"

"Certainly, I tell you what. How about, if Owain is free, you staying for a meal? I feel I owe him something, you heard about our barney?"

Colin nodded, “He told me a bit.”

"Well, I won't get all big sister. I can hardly do that being as I've not seen him for 20 years. But there is something", she looked up a Colin quite fiercely, "Look after him. He needs a friend. His job in London was very high pressure, work hard, play hard. Then he was ill, and it was rather more serious than he ever lets on, I think. Then, instead of finding a quieter job in London, he comes here. Out of the blue. He's no friends, and he and I still need to find ourselves, again", she shook her head. "I'm not sure why this has happened, but he needs a friend, OK?"

Colin nodded, "I think we both need friends. I came out to my Mum last week."

Mhairi raised an eyebrow, "And? Not go well?"

"She resented being kept in the dark. That was her main complaint. Not sure what she actually thinks, but my big brother turned up at Owain's and took him to task for corrupting me!"

Mhairi laughed, "Sorry, but that's a ridiculous idea. How old does he think you are, 13?"

"Actually, yes", Colin pulled a face. "I'm realising that he thinks exactly that. So, that's why I'm here. Usually, I go to Mum's on Sunday but..."

"Couldn't face the inquisition?"

Colin nodded, "I'm not sure when I'll be able to face them."

"It was always like that at home for me, too. If I went out or did anything unusual, which means not at Church or a Church-sanctioned activity, I'd get the full treatment when I returned home. Took me years to realise there was another way, and by then I was saddled with a husband who thought the same way as my Dad."

"Blimey. I tried phoning Mum, to talk about stuff but she was just parroting my brother. I sort of knew he was a bully and a bit of a..."

"Wanker?"

"Yeah, but hadn't realised that he was a right-wing dinosaur too".

“Will your Mum come around?”

“I’m not really sure. When Dad died, she decided that it was my role to look after her.”

“She’s ill?”

“Not at all. She’s only 70 and still active, gardens a lot. Her garden is still a real showpiece. But she feels that it’s her due to be looked after and as the unmarried younger son…”

“It’s your role in life?”

“Yeah. So, it’s not just whether she can cope with me liking blokes, it’s that I got to nearly 33 and never told her.”

Mhairi pulled a face, “It’s not her right to know.”

Colin gave a dry laugh, “Tell that to Mum. As far as she’s concerned, she’s every right. She even thought it right and proper that Miles went through my phone to get Owain’s address.”

Mhairi shook her head, but any response was prevented by their arrival. Owain and Joe were stood by the pub, waiting for them to catch up.

It was an attractive place, bits of it dating back to the 18th century with Victorian additions. In many ways, an archetypical pub, and in any normal circumstances Colin would have been keen to examine it further. But now he was still on edge. Yes, Mhairi had been friendly, but he was meeting Owain’s family for the first time and didn’t want to mess things up and judging by what had happened between Mhairi and Owain, she was someone easily provoked.

Sorry, this is rather a short one, but we'll be returning to the pub with Owain
Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 35
  • Haha 3
Thank you for reading. As ever, I am always happy to hear from readers; the plot arc is pretty much in place, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for new ideas.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

In their own unique way, both Colin and Mhairi are "coming out" of a detestable past and both are finding common ground with each other...it is early days yet, but I feel they will form a formidable team surrounding Owain!!

Beautiful words and sentiment @drsawzall which I believe could prove to be true, to the advantage of all parties.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

This was a very insightful conversation between Mhairi and Colin. Getting to know the family is always risky business. It seems to be going well and this is good for Owain and Colin. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..