Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

No going back - 11. Dinner for two

Colin lived in a small modern development which looked as if the architect had been playing one of those children's games with bricks. The various units were stacked up in different ways and alignments, all set off by nice green lawns but little in the way of proper garden. Judging by the cars parked, it was quite a varied place, from a slick Audi to little runabouts to Colin’s van with its Reliable Renovations logo plastered on the side. His door was in a corner, which made the entrance a bit dark. I rang the bell and the door opened immediately, a smiling Colin almost filling it. He looked as if he'd just showered, his hair damp and his t-shirt fresh. I kissed him, much daring, but he responded and ushered me in.

It was quite small, just a large single room with an open-plan staircase in an alcove on the left. Everything was painted magnolia, I wondered if that had been how he'd bought it, and there were a couple of chairs in the sitting area, plus a bookcase. Beyond that was the kitchen, which seemed rather better equipped than might have been expected. Everything was neat and tidy, but the kitchen had clearly been in use. At the far end of the space was a glazed door that was open into what looked like a patio.

"It's a lot smaller than yours and I'm afraid it's not very posh. I keep meaning to decorate and get some more things, but", he shrugged, "I can never make my mind up."

I looked around and there were a couple of pictures on the wall, evocative black and white photographs of Venice. Rather lovely in fact. Before I could say anything, Colin ushered me through, "Come through, I thought we could eat outside. It's all just about ready, so we can have a drink in peace."

Through the kitchen we ended up in a small garden. Well, it was a yard really. There were a few tubs containing plants, a picnic table and chairs and a couple of lights. The result was actually rather romantic.

Colin was looking at me nervously, I needed to put him out his misery, "It's lovely. Beautifully private", I sat down on one of the chairs. He opened his mouth, but I stopped him, "Now, don't apologise. It's lovely, and perfect. Just us, and nicely casual."

"I use the table and chairs inside; they fold up, which is helpful."

"I bet. Very practical, and the chairs are surprisingly comfortable. So, relax."

He gave an embarrassed smile, "I was going to cook something fancy, but then thought that it would be nicer if it was simple, so I wasn't in the kitchen all the time."

"Good idea."

"So, the starter's from the deli, it's a bit like what we had at the wine bar, only the focaccia will be straight out the oven. Then we're having pasta with a quick sauce."

"Sounds lovely. You mentioned a drink", I smiled.

"Oh, bugger. Yes. Would you fancy a Negroni, it would be in the Italian theme?"

"Wow. Yes. Haven't had one on ages."

He looked a bit bashful, "I was shopping in Lidl, and they had all the things you needed, on offer."

"Snap it up whilst you can. I need to get the hang of what shops there are here, at the moment I simply stagger to the Sainsbury's."

"The Lidl's not far, but you have to go in the car", another bashful look, "I buy a lot there."

"A couple of colleagues in London swore by the place, but big confession time. I hardly ate at home, and what that was, was often take away", I shrugged. "I mean to try and have better habits now, but buying decent frozen meals is as far as I’ve managed to get."

He was in the kitchen, fixing the Negronis whilst we continued chatting. "Perhaps, I should teach you a few simple things to try out? Cook properly, like."

"You can try", I laughed, "No-one's had much luck so far. But it would be better for me. And cheaper."

His brow wrinkled, "Sorry, is that a problem? You know money, pardon my asking?"

"It's not a problem and I certainly don't mind you asking. But I earn rather less than I did, and certainly won't be getting the big annual bonuses, and the last few years have been a bit lean, so I have to learn to live within my income."

"Yeah, I get that. Same for me. This place, small as it is, set me back more than I planned."

"But it is yours?"

"Yeah, I got a bit fed up with living with the guys. It was great having them around, but there were times I wanted to be on me own", he shrugged.

"I get that."

Then Colin grinned, "So, would you be up for cooking lessons?"

I think I must have looked a bit surprised because Colin laughed. "OK, I'll give it a go, but you have to promise me that you'll keep things simple, and light. No heavy arguments."

"You bet. It'll be Italian, because that's all I do, really."

"You have Italian roots?"

Colin shook his head, "Not at all, it's just", he shrugged, "I love Italy."

"You've been there? The pictures."

"Yeah, I bought them after I got back from Venice."

"So, where have you been?"

Colin looked a bit embarrassed, "Oh, there was only one trip. I meant to go again last year, but Mum wasn't well", he shrugged, "I had to stay with her. Two years ago, I had two weeks staying on Lake Garda. It wasn't my idea, but well I ended going on my own and loved it. There were coach trips, but I found you could get the train to Venice as well and spent lots of days there. It somewhere special, I found this square where you could have lunch and students from the music college would play. It wasn't as busy as a lot of the tourist areas", he shook his head. "Magic. So, I came home and started experimenting with cooking like that", he looked bashful, "I'm not really very good."

"Well, let me be the judge of that, and I've enjoyed everything so far. How about we go to Italy for a holiday?"

He blinked, "The two of us?"

"Of course. I know one or two places which are enjoyable, with great food and not too many tourists?"

"In the same bed?"

I blinked, "Well, that's a bit specific but, yes, if that's OK. Sharing a room at least, it's cheaper for a start, and there are such things as twin beds."

"It's just", his lip tightened, "I worry."

"That's fine. But in tourist hotels they are usually cooler about two guys sharing, for logistics and economics. No-one assumes you're gay, just because, and I think that neither of us is exactly high camp. OK?"

"I'd like that. To go to Italy again. It would have to be the last two weeks of July. We all take the same holiday at the firm, it's easiest. I tell people we don’t work those two weeks, and all of us go away. Then there's no messing about with timetables for different people's holidays."

"I think I can manage that", I took his hand. There was I jumping right into things, again. "Look, I love the idea, but I do tend to go at things full pelt, to leap in. The point is to relax and have fun, so if it stresses you out being with another guy, then just say and we can organise it in a more discreet way. OK?"

"Yes. And I'd like that, thanks." He gave a smile. "I tend to worry too much about things, so a bit of leaping in might be good."

The meal was excellent and inevitably the talk continued of Italy. I told him the story from when I was in my 20s and had rocked up in Florence to find it full to bursting point with tourists. After a couple of days, I had given up, checked out the hotel, hired a car and gone driving and enjoyed an entirely different Italy, away from the mass tourism. That was the Italy I wanted to take him to.

"Have you been there regularly?"

"Not at all", I've not holidayed much recently except for quiet weeks on the South Coast being pampered at a nice hotel, that sort of thing. And a lot of my holidays have been to gay resorts, I've spent rather more time than is good for me, taking my clothes off in exotic places and enjoying the men that were on offer", I could see Colin's eyes widening, "I'd be happy to take you for a weekend like that, if it appealed. My treat", I gave him what I hoped was a comically salacious grin.

He gulped, "I've never done anything like that, Ten Tons of Fun is the closest I've come. I've never taken my clothes off. This..." and he patted his belly.

"Would drive some guys wild, you'd be surprised. Not everyone's a gym bunny or into them", I leaned over and patted his belly and kissed him, "and I think it's fabulous."

"But I couldn't let you pay, after all..."

I held up a hand, "After all, I should be getting a four or five-figure annual income from the money in my Grandfather's estate."

"You mean, sort of like and extra ten thousand per year?"

I shrugged, "Maybe more, that's what we've been told. Until it comes through, and we talk to the financial advisors who are currently in charge of investing it, we won't know."

"We?"

"Mhairi and me. We share equally. Look, keep this under your hat please. Until the money lands in my account then I won't believe it. You know the barney with Mhairi, about her son's Summer course?", he nodded, "Well one of the reasons it all blew up is because Joe, as a thrusting teenager, saw no reason not to anticipate the inheritance whereas Mhairi won't spend what she doesn't have. I bet she's not getting much from her ex-husband."

"I see. In that case, yes. When the money comes in, I'll throw caution to the wind and let you take me somewhere and I promise that I'll take more clothes off." I grinned at him; he had a tempting smile on his lips, "at least once".

"Care to give me a preview of that?"

It took ages for us to reach cheese and coffee, and there was even sweet wine (from Lidl, evidently, who knew) to go with the cheese. He was still shy, once we'd cleaned up after what turned into quite lively sex, he insisted on putting t-shirt and jeans back on. Alas.

His bedroom wasn’t at all characterful, more functional with a big built-in wardrobe and the bathroom (well shower room) was well done, both a tribute to his firm's talents. I was just doing my ablutions and could hear Colin pottering about in the bedroom when it hit me; he probably didn't do this much, if ever. Bringing a man back to stay was a big event, I'd been in my 20s before I did it.

I went back into the bedroom and gave him a hug, "Thank you."

"What for?"

"Well, inviting me, going to such trouble, a lovely meal and, well, having the courage to let me stay. I was in my 20s before dared have anyone stay."

I felt Colin's chest rumble, not sure whether it was laugh or what, "I met a bloke on holiday and used to drive over there. We were both windy, and he'd never let me stay. I always thought it would be nice, waking up with a bloke but it hasn't happened much. At all, really."

"Yet", I kissed the top of his head, "and it's not always fun, there's sometimes the 'who the fuck are you' moment, or you find that they're still asleep two hours after you've woken up properly, and a mate of mine had a bloke who'd wake up at silly o'clock and wander round the house, going through his things." Colin was laughing properly now, and we got into bed like that.

We didn't have full on sex again, just cuddled and more, but as I was going to sleep, I was aware of Colin lying stiff beside me. You could almost hear his brain whirring. Now, I'm not really one for cuddling to go to sleep, I tend to prefer being untangled. But this time, I made the effort and put my arm around him. I felt him gradually relax and we fell asleep like that.

"Good morning"

Colin looked at me bleary eyed, "Morning?"

"I don't know about you, but I slept well."

Colin gave a shy grin, "Me too. What time is it?", he sat up and grabbed his watch. "Fuck, I forgot to set the alarm. I'm gonna be late."

"For your Mum's?"

"Yeah."

"Right, you go and shower. I'll start making the coffee."

Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 43
Thank you for reading. As ever, I am always happy to hear from readers; the plot arc is pretty much in place, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for new ideas.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

11 hours ago, Cane23 said:

A beautiful chapter, these guys are simply amazing together. I like they are just ordinary, normal looking men, not some Men's health models. Colin's insecurities are even charming now, I can see why Owain is so patient with him. 

Spot on.  A perfect summary of my feelings.  Thanks.  😊 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Perhaps an afternoon of blazing passion with Gabriel and Lorenzo might be enjoyable for all (including we readers

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm 😃 

  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I think Colin is beginning to see the light at the other end of the tunnel...

Wrong story! 😂

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

A lovely simple chapter where the everyday, mundane comes to life and is somehow fantastically magical.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a lovely little weekend; and making plans for a trip, how cute.  Taking it slow and getting to know one another always works out for the best; but so few really do so.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..