Jump to content
    Ronyx
  • Author
  • 1,516 Words
  • 3,711 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Apple of Her Eye - 3. Chapter 3

I walked with my head down the entire way to school. I just didn’t feel especially happy with myself. I had really screwed up yesterday, and I was afraid to face Shaun. We had been best friends, but I was not too sure how strong our bond was now. One stupid look, that was all it was, and now my life is ruined. I stood outside the doors of the school, and with one deep breath, I pulled the door open and entered it like a man going to the electric chair on his execution day.

As I walked down the halls, I looked up and noticed the familiar faces I had seen so often over the past few years. No one’s look seemed to change as they saw me. I guess it was a good sign. Several of my friends spoke to me and asked me how I was doing. One girl even approached me and asked me if I was going out for basketball this season.

It was one thing I had not really thought about. Shaun and I had been teammates on the school’s basketball team for the past four years. We had made the team in seventh grade, and we had participated every year since then. Shaun was a starter for the team. He played forward, and he usually averaged at least fifteen points a game. I was a bench warmer. I was occasionally called upon when someone fouled out. I wasn’t that good, but I did manage to have a game high of ten points last year. Shaun hugged me and congratulated me like I had won the hundred-yard dash in the Summer Olympics. It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

I went to my locker and got out the books I would need for my morning classes. Shaun’s locker was right next to mine, and I was afraid he would show up while I was there, but he didn’t. I then went into the cafeteria to get a donut and an orange juice before first period class.

As soon as I entered the double doors, I immediately saw Shaun sitting at the table with Melissa, one of his ‘sometimey’ girlfriends. They were sitting really close; so close it looked like she was almost in his lap. He had his arms around her waist, laughing at something she had said.

I quickly glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. A frown appeared on his face when he saw me. He moved away from Melissa and gave me the coldest look anyone had ever given me. The look hurt me, really hurt me. I hung my head and quickly went to the food line.

I waited in line behind a large group of people. Then I heard a familiar voice speak behind me. “Hey fag!” Oh God! Not right now, not here. I recognized Shaun’s voice and tried to ignore him. Maybe he would go away.

“I said, hey fag! Why are you ignoring me? You didn’t seem to be so shy yesterday,” he said louder than before. I turned to face him.

“Shaun, please! Not here, please!” I pleaded with him. I couldn’t believe he was doing this to me. My best friend was outing me in front of the entire school. Everyone was looking at us. They got quiet as they tried to listen to our exchange. Teenagers can sense when there is a confrontation approaching, and they will feed on it like a frenzy of hungry piranha. I knew if he said anything more, the rest of my high school life would be ruined.

“Look fag,” he muttered angrily as he poked me in my chest. “I don’t want you coming over to my house anymore. After trying to suck my dick yesterday, I don’t want you around me anymore. Got that, faggot? Stay the fuck away from me. I don’t play that shit!” He then stormed off, leaving me standing there embarrassed and ashamed. In all the years I had known Shaun, I had never seen him so angry.

If he was out to ruin my life, he did it just then. Suddenly, the cafeteria erupted into a buzz. Word traveled quickly. By the time I had made it out of line and back into the cafeteria, I felt a thousand pair of eyes on me. It seemed that in a matter of minutes, the entire school knew my secret. I looked over to where Shaun had been sitting. He was still sitting with his arm around Melissa. He had an evil smirk on his face.

He knew he had outed me, and he was proud of it. I couldn’t understand it. All the years of friendship, and in a matter of minutes it was over. I didn’t do anything to deserve it. I hadn’t even told him I was gay. I hadn’t made a move on him or tried to seduce him. I had only stared at him. Was that a crime? However, now I was going to have to pay dearly for it.

I didn’t notice anyone else except Shaun and the smirk on his face. Didn’t I mean anything to him? I knew he wasn’t gay, but why did he have to do this to me? Why was he enjoying it? He was animatedly talking to his friends at the table, and they were looking at me and laughing. Laughing! What did I do to deserve this?

All I wanted to do was get out of the cafeteria quickly. I picked up my speed as I walked with my head down. I must have looked really pathetic to anyone watching. My face was red with embarrassment, and tears were streaming down my cheeks.

Unfortunately, my tears blocked me from seeing a foot come out into the aisle, tripping me. I went down hard, really hard. My face hit the cold floor, and my books went flying everywhere. The cafeteria erupted into laughter. Everyone was laughing at the fag sprawled out on the floor. Not one person came to my aid. They just laughed, and I could hear some of the cruel comments they were making.

I don’t know where it came from, but I got up off the floor, collected my books, threw my shoulders back and walked proudly from the cafeteria. My face was hurting, my spirit was broken, but I let them know they would not destroy me. I was going to get through this, I had to. I just hoped Shaun was happy for what he had done to me.

After leaving the cafeteria, I went to the boys’ restroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked horrible. A bruise was quickly forming where I had hit the cafeteria floor. Tears had streaked my faced, and snot was running from my nose. I looked at the image that was staring back at me and didn’t recognize him. It was not the same person who had looked in the mirror yesterday morning. No. This was someone else. That person from yesterday was no more.

Suddenly, the door opened, and in walked three seniors. They were bantering among themselves, and they immediately got quiet when they saw me. They were the popular jocks. One was Josh Mathews. We had played basketball together the past few years. He was going to be captain of the team this year.

“Damn, I didn’t know queers were allowed to use the boys’ room. She should go down the hall to the girls’,” said one of the boys jokingly. The others began laughing.

“Yeah,” replied another. “I’m not going to piss in here with him watching. Fucking perv!”

“Fuck you! Fuck you all!” I screamed. I couldn’t take it anymore. I jumped at the nearest guy, who just happened to be Josh, and began pummeling him with my fists. He was much larger than I was, but at that moment I didn’t care. I just wanted to let out all my anger- anger at Shaun. Unfortunately, Josh happened to be there when I hurriedly made a wrong decision.

They were immediately on me. The other two grabbed me and held my arms back, while Josh began to violently assault me. He hit me in my sides several times, and then he punched me in my stomach. I thought I was going to puke. They dropped me to the ground, and then all three began kicking me. I tried to curl into a ball, but several of the kicks made it through. I began to fear that they were going to kill me. My mind kept telling me that I couldn’t die like this.

“Let’s get out of here before someone comes in,” said one of the boys. I heard the door close and everything became quiet. “This is it,” I said to myself. “I’m only sixteen, and I am dying on a cold restroom floor.”

The door opened, and someone entered.

“Oh my God, Gary!” Those were the last words I heard before my world began to grow dark.

Thanks for reading Apple of Her Eye. I hope you're enjoying it.
Copyright © 2006 by Ronyx All Rights Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 4
  • Sad 9
  • Angry 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Quote

“Oh my God, Gary!” Those were the last words I heard before my world began to grow dark.

So at least one of Gary’s classmates hasn’t turned against him!

 

Just because they all started discussing his Outing and didn’t help him when he was tripped doesn’t mean that the entire school hates him, even if that’s all that Gary perceives right now! Some of the gossip would have been because of the novelty of two formerly close friends having a very public dispute. And Jocks tend to be less evolved than the general population because coaches demand conformity and groupthink (aka team spirit) – independent thought and individuality are not a prized behaviors among team athletes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Shaun is pure evil for outing Gary like that. The beating Gary received is quite horrific, just glad that someone found him before it was to late.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm glad that Gary found the inner strength to hold his head up as he left the cafeteria. He's going to need that strength in the coming days...weeks...(but hopefully not months).

 

With Josh being called out by name, I wondered if he was going to be an exception. I had the impression it was the other two who made the comments, but Gary messed up any chance of Josh being sympathetic or even neutral by attacking him. I understand why he did it, but attacking someone who hadn't done anything wasn't smart. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Shaun reminds me of other characters. I wonder if his harsh outing of his best friend is because he is deep in the closet and secretly feels the same way. There often is a hive mentality with teens, but Gary is/was Shaun's best friend. There has to be more to this than just homophobia. Thanks for keeping things interesting!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wow. I'm shocked that actually happened. Within minutes of his outing. That would never happen at my school. I think I only saw one physical fight in six years, and the teachers shut it down in a split second after a measly three punches and two kicks were had. Three seniors? Who could possibly be that stupid?! They're legal adults now, and could be charged as such!  :angry:Moreover, I'm surprised that Shaun was so ready to make a scene and spill the story to EVERYONE, considering that he was involved. He'd be taking some of the fallout, too.  -_-

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

That would never happen at my school. I think I only saw one physical fight in six years, and the teachers shut it down in a split second after a measly three punches and two kicks were had.

But Gary was attacked where there were no other witnesses. Faculty can’t be everywhere at once. Maybe the teacher who was supposed to be monitoring that restroom was called away for a different emergency – like having the janitorial staff refill the (rationed?) paper supplies.  ;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is awful.

No matter if Shaun winds up making up for this or becoming a great man after this, THIS will always be a part of him, this will always speak to a part of who he was, not just to a stranger but to someone who was supposed to be his best friend.

This is shameful.  This is sad.  For all the bullshit Gary will now face because of Shaun’s words, he’s better off without a “friend” like him.

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I identify with Gary, because of a similar past when I was in high school.  Fortunately, the boy I was crushing on didn't reveal things publicly.  He just gossip behind my back.  Also it was fortunate that I was only shunned, not beaten up.  I like the character development of the story.  The emotions and characters are realistic and believable.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Shaun is a despicable cu... Clearly Gary's friendship has not meant as much to him as what his has to Gary. Gary is better off without him. I just hope there comes a time when Shaun needs Gary's help and his plea falls on deaf ears. 

I hope Shaun and the other three from the restroom incident are exposed and thrown off the basketball team. They need to be treated like the losers they are. May I suggest retrospective abortion for all four.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..