Jump to content
    Ronyx
  • Author
  • 1,565 Words
  • 3,626 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Apple of Her Eye - 4. Chapter 4

God, my head hurts! Why is that light so bright when my eyes are closed? I couldn’t get a grasp of where I was. All I could feel was pain- sharp, throbbing pain. My face, my right arm, my chest and sides hurt. It took me a few minutes to finally realize what had happened to me.

After what seemed like hours, I finally managed to open my eyes. The bright lights made it nearly impossible to focus. “You’re awake, Young Man. Good.” I heard a voice say. Then I saw the face of an old man emerge into my view. I guess he was leaning into me as he spoke.

“Tell me how you feel. Where do you feel pain?” he asked worriedly.

“I hurt all over!” I shouted back at him. “My head hurts, and I’m having a lot of pain in my chest when I breathe. What’s wrong with me?”

“Can you tell me anything about what happened to you?” he inquired. “Do you remember anything at all?”

Then it all came rushing back to me. The humiliation in the cafeteria. The falling down and running out of the room with everyone laughing at me. Josh and his friends coming into the restroom, and me attacking him. And then, their vicious assault on me.

“I don’t remember anything! How bad am I hurt?” I lied, but I didn’t feel like telling him what had happened to me. It really wasn’t Josh’s fault. I was the one who had initiated the fight, and they were justified in returning the favor.

“Surely you have to remember who did this to you,” he said questioningly. “You took quite a beating, so you must know who it was.”

“I don’t remember a damn thing!” I yelled. He jumped back and told me to calm down. He turned to the nurse and asked for a syringe. Darkness overtook me as everything went black again.

I awoke later, but I don’t know how long I was out. The room was no longer bright. There was only a dim light coming from what I imagined was the bathroom.

I moved a little and let out a small breath of air. I immediately felt a hand on my arm, and a gentle voice ask, “How are you, Honey?” I recognized the voice immediately. It was my mother. Hearing her voice made tears start to run down my face.

“It’s okay, Gary. No one’s going to hurt you here,” she assured me as she kissed on my forehead. The damn tears wouldn’t shut off though. They were racing down my face and falling onto the pillow that my head was propped upon.

I don’t know why, but I felt embarrassed and ashamed. I didn’t want her to see me like this. I didn’t want her to ask me questions about how this had happened. She would soon figure out that her ‘little Gary’ wasn’t the son she thought she had.

“What happened? She asked. “Why would someone do something like this to you? Can you tell me who did this?”

“I don’t remember,” I said. Again, I lied, but a lie was better at this point than telling her the truth. ‘Yeah, Mom. I got my ass kicked because some guys didn’t think a faggot should be using the bathroom and perving on them.’

I asked, “How long have I been here?” No one had really said anything to me about the injuries I had received. In fact, most of the time I had been asleep.

“Two days,” she informed me. “You’ve been sedated for two days. They wanted to keep you calm so that your injuries could heal.”

“What injuries?” I felt like shit, so I assumed they were rather severe.

“You were unconscious when they found you. They rushed you here and took you immediately into surgery. You suffered a slight concussion, two broken ribs and a broken right arm.” She began to sob uncontrollably, clutching at my left arm. It was beginning to hurt.

“I’m all right, Mom,” I said trying to reassure her. “I’m not in too much pain.” Actually, that was another lie. I hurt all over, but I didn’t want her to know. She would have just cried even more.

“God, Gary! Why would someone hurt you like this? You’ve never harmed anyone in your life. I’ve never known you to have an enemy or to ever get into a fight. Why would someone do something like this?” She cried out, clutching me even tighter.

“I don’t know, Mom. I didn’t see who did this. Someone just jumped me from behind. I guess they wanted my lunch money or something.” More lies, but I couldn’t bear to tell her the truth.

“It just doesn’t make much sense. The principal told me about someone tripping you in the cafeteria, and then you running to the bathroom. Then this happens. It just doesn’t make sense. Is there something you’re not telling me, Honey?” She moved her hand from my arm and took my hand in hers. Oh, no! Here come the tears again.

“No, Mom,” I said with teary eyes. “There’s nothing more to tell.” I turned my head to the side and closed my eyes. I just wanted to go back to sleep and forget about all it. Maybe when I wake up, this will have just been a bad dream- a really bad dream.

I awoke again when I felt movement around me. I opened my eyes and saw the doctor who had been attending to me earlier, minutes, hours, days ago- I don’t remember.

“So, Young Man. How are you feeling today? I’m Doctor Lassiter. I understand your mother told you yesterday about your injuries. Would you like to talk about it?” he asked me gently, but forcefully. I had a feeling I was going to have a hard time convincing anyone that I had suddenly developed a case of amnesia.

“I feel like shit. Can I have a drink please?” I needed something to take away the dryness in my mouth and throat.

“You can have just a sip of water. We’ll see how you handle that. Then you can begin drinking liquids on your own if you don’t get sick.” He raised my head and gave me a small sip out of a straw. It felt so good going down. He watched me carefully before giving me another sip.

“Good,” he said reassuringly. “You seem to be doing just fine.”

“Gary,” he insisted, “We must know what happened to you. The police have been here. They will return shortly. They feel a serious crime was committed against you at school. You were brutally beaten, more than what happens in an ordinary school fight. It appears more than one person may have been involved. Can you tell me what happened?” I could tell by the gentleness of his voice that he was sincere, but I couldn’t tell him the truth. It was something I had to keep to myself.

“Sorry, Doctor, but I don’t remember anything. As I told my Mom, someone jumped me from behind, and I didn’t get a look at them. I think they wanted my lunch money.” There. I was sticking to my story. It sounded so good that I was beginning to believe it myself.

Just then the door opened, and my mother came in, followed my two men in gray suits. I assumed that they were probably detectives. I was right.

“I’m Detective Stevens, and this is Officer Robinson,” he announced. “We are here to investigate the brutal beating you received in the restroom of your high school. Can you tell us what happened?”

“Like I told my mother and the doctor,” I repeated for the third time, “I don’t remember anything. I was jumped from behind. All I remember is getting hit in the head, and then waking up here.” I stated firmly. I was getting pretty good at lying.

“It doesn’t appear to be a random robbery,” replied Detective Stevens. “The injuries are too severe; and besides, your wallet was still in your back pocket and no money was taken.” He looked at me very accusingly. I felt I was the one in trouble.

“Maybe he got scared and ran away,” I suggested. I was hoping they would buy my story. I didn’t think I could take much more questioning.

“So, your story is that you don’t remember what happened to you, you didn’t see any one and you can’t identify your assailant?” His eyes narrowed. He knew I was lying, and I guess he was trying to break me with a cold stare.

“Yes, Sir,” I responded. “That is my story. I have nothing else to add.” I stared back at him for a brief second, before diverting my eyes to my hands. A small smile appeared on his face. He knew he had gotten to me; however, he didn’t pursue the questioning.

“Okay, then. I guess we are done here for now.” He handed me his card and said, “If you remember anything else, give me a call.”

“Sure,” I replied. I was glad it was over. Suddenly, I felt extremely weak. I began to grow very sleepy once again. I heard the door open and then close. I felt my mother’s reassuring hand take mine just before I fell asleep.

Thanks for reading Apple of Her Eye. I hope you're enjoying my first adventure into writing. If you are, please leave a comment, like or love. All responses are appreciated! :thankyou: 
Copyright © 2006 by Ronyx All Rights Reserved
  • Like 27
  • Love 8
  • Sad 13
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So @Ronyx! Your writing style could have remained very dark and we could have been comparing your work to A to Z or Ripped! But I’m glad your focus has always been on teenagers dealing with real problems – and getting their Happily Ever After.  ;–)

 

While Gary doesn’t want to admit he remembers what happened, I think he will eventually need to tell. I can’t remember how or if that happens, but I think he’ll want to do so at some point. And not when he’s 90 years old and on his death bed.  ;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, Wesley8890 said:

I hate that Gary is doing this.

So do I!!

I get it’s his attempt to control the situation but he must really think people are dumb.  Does he think no one will find out they are homobullying him at school?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, Timothy M. said:

I made do with a :( like though I wanted to do a :angry: one about Gary lying about the reason he was beaten up. He is such a fool, but I guess he's too young and inexperienced to know better. But maybe his so-called friend will feel some remorse.

I doubt he will, Timothy but one can hope....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I also hate that Gary is telling a lie, but understand exactly why is is doing this.  Gary feel alone and vulnerable.  He has been betrayed and can trust no one.  I hope he will change his mind.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I don't place any faith in Shaun or the three bullies who attacked Gary in the restroom. Unless one of them has a sudden attack of remorse, which I think very unlikely, they will likely go unpunished. The only possibility for justice for Gary that I see at present is that one of them will boast of their "beating up the faggot in the restroom" and it will be overheard by someone who will turn them in. 

Gary's mother will soon suspect something is amiss if Shaun does not come to visit or make any enquiry of Gary's wellbeing. Once she learns of Shaun's outing of Gary I hope she gives him hell. He is an evil little prick who deserves to have shreds torn off him literally.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..