Jump to content
    Ronyx
  • Author
  • 2,040 Words
  • 23,393 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Apple of Her Eye - 8. Chapter 8

I looked at the clock. It was now 9:15. Mom was late. I was ready to get out of this hell hole. I was dressed and ready to go. Finally, the door opened, and she walked in, followed by Dr. Lassiter.

 

“Sorry I’m late, Gary,” she said apologetically. “I had to stop by the school and leave them my lesson plans. I’m taking the entire day off.”

“That’s all right, Mom. I’m ready to bust out of here. You got the file?” We laughed, and I saw a smile form on Dr. Lassiter’s face.

“It’s not that bad is it?” he asked. “You’re making me feel like I was a bad host.”

“No, Doc. No hard feelings, but I’m ready to ride.” I jumped off the bed and held my hand out to my mother. “Can I drive?” She started laughing. I didn’t have my license yet, but I always asked her if I could drive when we went somewhere. She was hesitant to let me get my license, so it was my way of trying to constantly remind her I wanted it.

“If you don’t stop asking me that, you’re going to find yourself walking, Young Man,” she huffed. I knew she was kidding. I hope!

Mom got the car while I took the traditional ride in the wheelchair to the entrance. Why do they do that anyways? I was perfectly capable of walking, but they said I had to go down in the wheelchair.

“You hungry?” she asked after we had pulled out onto the highway. “Do you want to stop somewhere for breakfast?”

“Breakfast sounds good. Mickey D’s?” I asked. I love McDonald’s sausage and egg McMuffin with a hot hash brown.

“Yuck! All the nice restaurants around, and you want McDonald’s? How about Bob Evans instead?” she asked.

“Nope. Mickey D’s,” I insisted.

After ordering our breakfast, two sandwiches and two hash browns for me, a cup of coffee for her, we sat down and began to talk. I wanted to find out what had happened last night when she took Todd home and talked to his parents about Josh.

“How did things go last night? Did you talk to Mr. and Mrs. Mathews? Did you talk them out of letting Josh talk to Mr. Snow?” I couldn’t wait any longer. I needed to know.

“We talked about it,” she informed me. “I told them how you felt. Josh insisted that he was at fault, and we all agreed with him. He still wanted to talk to Mr. Snow this morning, but we made a compromise.”

“What compromise?”

“That he talks to you personally before he does that,” she replied. “I told him I want the two of you to talk about what happened. If you both feel that he needs to talk to Mr. Snow after you’ve spoken, then he will. You can meet with him alone, or his parents and I can be there when you talk. It’s your call.” She looked at me and gave me time to respond. She knew it was a big decision, and one I couldn’t make right away. Soon I came to my decision.

“I want to talk to him alone.” I knew that it would be a very awkward confrontation. One thing I knew, however, I had to talk Josh out of admitting his involvement. I was very grateful for my mother and his parents for being so understanding.

“Thanks, Mom,” I responded. “I love you.”

“I know, Son. I love you too. I’m still not sure you’re doing the right thing, but I’ll respect your decision. Every time I look at your arm in that cast and the bruises on your body, I still think he should be in jail.” She was being totally honest with me. I could understand her feelings, but this was something I felt I had to do.

We finished our meal and left the restaurant. I didn’t feel like going home right away, so we went shopping at the mall. It was fun. We walked and talked casually. It had been a long time since we had spent some quality time with each other. She is always busy doing school work. It felt good to be together for a while. At one point, we even held hands while we walked. Of course, all my friends were in class. I would never have done it on a weekend.

We stopped for a quick lunch at the food court before heading home. We arrived around two o’clock. I was really tired, and my body was beginning to ache. My ribs were killing me, and my arm throbbed. I took some painkillers and then went to my room to lie down for a while. In no time, I was sound asleep.

I had another dream. This time I was in a field, and there was a tall fence surrounding me. I walked around the fence trying to find a way out, but I couldn’t find a gate. I began to shout, yelling for someone to help me. I was beginning to panic. Suddenly, I heard a crashing sound coming from the opposite side of the fence. Someone was trying to break down the fence to let me out. They kept pounding on the fence, and soon it began to break apart. Board after board began to fall away until there was an opening large enough for me to escape. When I climbed out, Todd was grinning at me as he held an axe.

I awoke from the dream with a smile on my face. I got out of bed and went to the restroom to relieve my bladder. Since it was about an hour until dinner, I decided to crawl back into bed. I lay there for a few minutes until there was a tapping on my door.

“I’m awake!” I shouted out. “Come in.”

My mother opened the door and peeked inside. “You up?” she asked.

“Yeah, I just woke up,” I replied as I rubbed my sleepy eyes.

“Good. You have a visitor.” She stepped aside, and I could see Todd standing shyly behind her.

“Come on, Dear.” She pushed Todd into the room. “He won’t bite. Even if he does, he’s had his rabies shot.” She laughed, left the room and closed the door behind her.

“Hi. How’s it going?” I asked. I was rather surprised that he had visited me, especially after having just dreamt about him a few minutes earlier.

“I came to see how you were,” he responded, handing me a couple of papers and two books. “Here. Your mother asked me to pick up your assignments from your teachers. This should help you catch up on the work you’ve missed.”

I still couldn’t believe how shy he was. Not once had he looked up as talked. He turned and started to walk out.

“Wait, don’t go!” I pleaded. “Please. Come sit on the bed with me.”

“I really should go,” he replied. “I don’t want to be a bother.”

“You’re not a bother,” I insisted. “Please stay.” It worked. He walked hesitantly over to the side of the bed and sat down.

“Are you afraid of me?” I asked. It seemed he was always so nervous when he was around me. I wondered if it was his nature, or if it was just me.

“No!” he answered quickly. “I’m not afraid of you.”

“Then why won’t you look at me?” He was becoming extremely nervous. I felt he was ready to bolt out the door at any moment.

He looked up and asked, “Is it true?”

“Is what true?” I was perplexed. I had no idea what he was talking about.

“Is it true what they say? Are you ga…gay?” he asked nervously.

Wow! I wasn’t expecting that. This kid pulls no punches. What was I to say? I was really beginning to like him. If I tell him the truth, I stand the chance of losing the first person I’ve felt close to in some time. I had already decided that I was no longer going to hide behind a wall again. I guess it was time for the truth. I’d just have to suffer the consequences.

“Yes, I’m gay,” I answered confidently. If he was going to leave, now would be the time.

He looked at me and grinned. “Good, I am too.”

For the first time since he entered the room, he looked me directly in the face and gave me a shy smile. “I couldn’t look at you because I was afraid to. I was afraid you could tell I liked you. I wasn’t sure. I had to be sure.” Not once did we look away. We were staring intently at each other.

“I like you too,” I admitted embarrassedly. “You’re really cute.” I know my face was turning red. It was the first time I had ever told another boy I liked him. It felt good.

He reached over and took my hand in his. “I liked it yesterday when I was in your room and we were holding hands. I know it didn’t mean much to you, but it meant a lot to me.”

“Do you realize my mother saw us?” I giggled.

“Yeah,” he said. “We talked about it later. You have a really cool mom. She’s my favorite teacher.” He was squeezing my hand and rubbing his fingers gently over my knuckles, just like he did the day before.

“You talked to my mom about us?” I couldn’t believe this kid. He was shy as hell, but he could open up and talk to my mom about something so personal.

“She knows I’m gay,” he replied. “I told her several months ago when some kids were giving me a hard time in class. She helped me deal with myself. She’s great.”

“Yeah, she is,” I said smilingly. Then I began to wonder about her comments last night. She had tried to set us up. How cool is that- having your mother as a matchmaker- with another boy! A really cute boy, too!

I asked, “Does your mom and dad know?”

“No. Not yet,” he replied. “But I plan to tell them soon. Josh already knows.”

“Josh knows you’re gay!” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Why had he acted so homophobic towards me if he had a gay brother? It didn’t make sense.

“Yeah, I told him last year,” replied Todd. “Well, I didn’t actually tell him. He walked into my room and saw something I was looking at on the internet, if you know what I mean.” His face turned the cutest shade of red.

“Then why did he beat the shit out of me if he has a gay brother?” I was becoming very upset. I was also beginning to question if I had made the right decision in not telling on him.

“That’s just it,” Todd replied worriedly. “That’s why he feels so bad. He was just going along with his friends, trying to act cool. Then when you jumped him, he just reacted instinctively. After it was over, and he saw you on the floor, he saw me. He thought what he did to you, could have happened to me.” Tears were beginning to run down his cheek. I reached up and wiped them off with my thumb.

“I know you won’t believe me, but my brother cried so hard that night. He held me tight and said it could have been me.” He looked up tearfully. “He really feels guilty about what he did. That’s why he went to Mom and Dad and told them about it. He wants to make it up to you.”

Now it was my turn to cry. I don’t know why, but I did. Todd scooted over and wrapped his arms around me as we both gently cried into each other’s shoulders. After a couple of minutes, we regained our composure and looked up into one another’s eyes. A shy smile began to appear on his beautiful face.

He softly asked me, “May I kiss you?” I shyly nodded, and he leaned toward me. For the first time in my life, I kissed another boy.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate the wonderful comments, likes and loves. :thankyou: 
Copyright © 2006 by Ronyx All Rights Reserved
  • Like 25
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I guess I shouldn’t post a sentence that includes ‘Josh,’ ‘unique,’ ‘bully,’ and ‘remorse.’  ;–)

 

 

Gary is clearly better since he can joke with Dr Lassiter and his mother. It’s good that he decided he wouldn’t hide when asked about his sexual orientation. I know both he and Todd were glad he made that decision because it meant he got his first kiss!  ;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Timejun said:

Excellent writing.  I love this story.  If it were up to me I would want the entire story all at once, it kills me to have to wait...but its worth the wait

It is up to you @Timejun!  ;–)

 

If you want to read the rest of the story all at once, it’s posted on @Ronyx’s website, The Mustard Jar. In addition to all the stories he has posted here on GA, he’s posted chapters of his most recently written story before they arrive here. I like the interactivity of Commenting here, so I’m resisting temptation to read those newest chapters.  ;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm sorry, @Ronyx, but let me just say that I don't feel invested in this story as much as some earlier ones. It feels like Apple of Her Eye is missing something, that I don't know how to describe. Suspension of disbelief, maybe? The flow of events just doesn't feel...natural. I'm afraid it's not for me, this time around. I look forward to your next one, though.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

I'm sorry, @Ronyx, but let me just say that I don't feel invested in this story as much as some earlier ones. It feels like Apple of Her Eye is missing something, that I don't know how to describe. Suspension of disbelief, maybe? The flow of events just doesn't feel...natural. I'm afraid it's not for me, this time around. I look forward to your next one, though.  :)

Maybe you should wait and binge-read the story…  ;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It is really okay. I know this story isn't perfect. It was my first attempt. Many readers have told me that they have read my stories starting with my first, Apple of Her Eye, and working their way to my last so they could see how my writing progressed over the years. I have always hated my second attempt, Writing for Joe. I wanted to try and write a crime story, and I failed miserably. I'm embarrassed to go back and read it. Since then, I have stayed with the gay teen genre. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Rndmrunner said:

 

I know that Josh assaulted Gary when Gary provoked him but I am not sure that it is fair to say that he was a bully. His friends bullied Gary but I don't think Josh did more than not stop it until Gary hit him and then well ....

I agree with @Rndmrunner Josh isn't a bully, at least based on what we've read. As Todd explained, what he did was a reaction, not premeditated. Bullying can be done unthinkingly and unknowingly (think about casual homophobic comments made to someone who is in the closet), but it's premeditated. What Josh did is still unacceptable, but it was a mistake, not bullying. Bullying is a pattern of behaviour, and we haven't seen that pattern, just a one-off incident. If anything, Todd's comments indicate that Josh is very much not a bully.

 

The behaviour of the other two guys, however, is probably bullying. What they said was premeditated and repeated. They didn't assault Gary physically, but they did verbally. So, even what they did was less than Josh, I am more inclined to call them bullies than Josh.

 

On a completely different topic, one of the things that struck me is the very close relationship between Gary and his mother. Even though he comments mentally that they don't spend much time together, he thought it was cool that she was trying to be a matchmaker for him. That is so much not a typical teenage male reaction, and it shows that his relationship with his mother is much closer than most guys in his peer group.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Ronyx said:

I have always hated my second attempt, Writing for Joe. I wanted to try and write a crime story, and I failed miserably. I'm embarrassed to go back and read it.

I recently read an interesting not-a-mystery-to-solve murder spree story, A Mann’s World on Awesome Dude (or on iomfats). It was unusual in that the multiple murders were merely the background for the real story. It was about the police who try to solve the crime, but we never had all the pieces to solve it ourselves because that wasn’t the purpose of the tale.  ;–)

 

The protagonist is in his twenties with most of the other characters being much older, but a couple of them are teenagers.  ;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Instinct and peer approval resulted in a big problem for Josh.  His family and he want to be honest is spite of the hit to Josh's future.  I don't think Josh is a bully, but he does need to pick better friends.  I do hope another punishment like community service will be found for the usual suspensions.  As a retired teacher I can sincerely say that one punishment fits all crimes in most cases more harmful than helpful.  Intelligence and a punishment tailored to Josh's offense would do more good than harm to Josh, and could have a more positive affect on the students in the school. 

Gary and Todd are cute together.  They make a much better couple that would be the case with Shaun and Gary.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, Timejun said:

I can't remember my first kiss...I'm sad about that

The first kiss I can remember was the girl who became my wife, and I have never regretted it. But I wish I had a memory of kissing ty best friend Joseph in Jr. High School. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I happen to think this story is a fine debut @Ronyx. I am particularly enjoying the humour present in the past few chapters and the delightful creation known as Todd.

With reader feedback and an increase in confidence your writing has improved, but that does not lessen the joy to be experienced in reading this fine work. I do recall reading Writing For Joe, but have to say I remember next to nothing about it.

The two which left an indelible impression on me are Brittle As A Bird and Down The Darkened Path, both masterpieces. As a non-American I thought nothing of the interracial relationship featured in the latter, just as I thought nothing of the same type of relationship between James and Dion in Taking Off The Mask. Finding Good Trouble was the first time I had ever given such a relationship any real thought, perhaps because in that story race was the issue at the crux of the story, whereas it was not so in the other two.

Suffice to say I have enjoyed all your works I have read and will continue to revisit them, even Writing For Joe.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..