Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 984 Words
  • 786 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost Letters / Lost Love - 6. Chapter 6 Revelation 

Forty years later, May 2015

As Kevin walked into the high school cafeteria, he felt pangs of nostalgia. He was not surprised that there were changes, since it had been forty years since he last visited his high school. Although there was different furniture, light fixtures, floor and color scheme, it was still the room he remembered. He pictured having lunches with friends and attending sports banquets.

A smiling coach Newton approached.

“Great that you could make it. The boys are anxious to meet ‘in person’ the legendary Kevin Woods who, with his teammate, Gary Thompson, made the bases loaded ‘triple play’ that saved the game and resulted in Long River’s first state championship.”

At that instant, three smiling, handsome, beefy senior baseball players approached Kevin.

The one with the bluest eyes stated, “So this is the catcher that completed the play that saved the game! I do not believe that forty years from now, this year’s team will be a topic of conversation. You guys are a legend.”

Kevin enjoyed the conversation as he asked the boys about the team, positions they played and their plans after graduation. When one asked for a selfie, he stood next to Kevin and placed his arms around the older man as he held his phone out for the photo. The intimacy resulting from the contact with this hunky student sent an arousing feeling through Kevin. He silently told his cock to behave, while continuing the banter with the boys.

Coach Newton then told Kevin, “I have good news. I got a text from Gary this afternoon. He told me he will be able to attend this evening, as he sent one of his employees to the seminar he had planned to attend.”

Kevin did not know how to respond. He had agreed to attend the banquet when Coach had told him Gary would be unable to be there. It had been difficult to be in the same room with Gary at the reunion weeks earlier. Now, the two would most likely be seated at the head table next to each other. Kevin could not tell Coach that he did not want to have any contact with his teammate of forty years earlier. It would be impossible to tell Coach of the intimate relationship the two had years ago. Kevin considered faking a sudden illness. At that moment Gary walked through the door. Kevin realized that if he did not pretend a friendship, Coach and others would wonder and possibly question his actions. Kevin did not want to put a damper on the event, so he approached Gary with a mock smile and shook his hand.

Touching his friend of years ago brought on a jumble of feelings. He felt everything from revulsion to lust. It seemed that their handshake was more intimate than usual. Gary appeared to have similar feelings. After their handshake, each found a reason to move on. Gary talked to Coach while Kevin walked to the refreshment table and grabbed a can of Coke.

When dinner was announced, it was obvious that Gary and Kevin would sit next to each other at the head table. He realized their failure to sit together would highlight the fact that the two had grown apart. During the main course, Kevin directed his conversation to Coach Newton on his left, while Gary only talked to the chair of the Parents Athletic Committee that had sponsored the banquet to his right.

As dessert was being served, Gary turned to Kevin and quietly asked, “Why did you not write back to me? I eventually assumed that you were too busy with your friends at UConn to remember me.”

Kevin was dumbfounded as he had the same question. “I did, and you never replied. I assumed you were ashamed about our intimate activities and had moved on.”

Gary continued, “During the weeks of basic training, I thought of you constantly. While the other guys talked about their girls back home, I naturally remained quiet. They were very willing to give details of their lovemaking. Of course I wanted to share my feelings for you, but knew that any hint of such activity in 1975 would put my safety in danger and probably get me kicked out of the Army.”

Kevin whispered, “Does this mean we lost contact because of lost letters followed by stupid assumptions? The entire first semester at UConn, I thought of you constantly. When I did not hear from you, I finally forced myself to put you out of my mind. Eventually, I accepted the fact that you had moved on, and that I must do the same.”

At that moment, Coach Newton stood and began the formal program of the evening. Following introducing the head table, he commented on the successes of this year’s team. The room then darkened as video highlights were played. Kevin felt pressure against his knee. He pressed back. As the knees pressed against each other, Kevin placed his hand on his knee. Then, in the darkness of the room, he gently moved his hand so that his little finger touched Gary’s knee. Gary then lowered his hand to his own knee and moved his little finger over. Soon, the two little fingers were entwined. Then Gary whispered, “We’d better behave. Don’t want to do something that would be embarrassing when the lights come on. Let’s continue this conversation over a beer at my house as soon as this banquet ends.”

Kevin replied, “We have a lot to discuss. Thanks for the invitation.”

As he replied, Kevin took Gary’s hand in his, squeezed it, let it go, moved his knee away and placed both hands on the table. Gary did the same. The two leaned into each other, touching shoulders and then as the lights came on sat up straight, each with a silly grin on his face. .

p> I was inspired to write the story of Kevin and Gary when I streamed the 1990’s BBC series ‘As Time Goes By’ on Prime Video. In that popular series Jean (played by Dame Judi Dench) and Lionel (played by Geoffrey Palmer) are united 38 years later when Lionel returns to England to write his memoirs, and Jean’s agency supplies him secretarial services. They had been romantically involved years earlier at the onset of World War II. Due to lost letters, they lost communication. Now Jean, widowed, and Lionel, divorced, are not as eager to jump into a relationship. The show, one of BBC’s best sitcoms, aired for ten seasons
Copyright © 2023 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 10
  • Fingers Crossed 1
A special thanks to my friend, pvtguy, for his thoughtful suggestions that clarify what I am attempting to say.  Also, I thank him for his careful review with resulting edits that make it appear I have mastered the English language. 
If you are enjoying this story, please take the time to like, comment, and follow it. Your feedback and comments are always welcome and help me develop this and future stories.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well...it would seem that a mystery was cleared up except for the missing letters and where they might be??

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m glad they actually spoke and corrected the misunderstanding.  Now on to rebuilding their relationship.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

One letter, maybe two, not reaching their destination suggests mail lost by the postal carrier. Multiple "lost" letters sent by both parties suggests intervention by a third party or parties. If there was parental intervention I hope Kevin and Gary discover this, and if the parent(s) still alive they are made suffer the consequences of their meddling.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
Link to comment

As Time Goes By was an amazing series. I'm glad these two have figured it out. I wonder how so many letters got lost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..