Jump to content
    Tiff
  • Author
  • 10,484 Words
  • 2,796 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jumping Over My Mountain - 24. Chapter 24

Jumping Over My Mountain
by Tiffani Chin

Chapter 24

---------------------------------------------

************HIRO************

I waited anxiously for Crew to come down; as more and more snowboarders passed by, none of whom were Crew, I was growing increasingly worried.

Crew, together with Caleb's friends had been behind us on the lift; there was no reason for the delay. That and I knew Crew was a seasoned snowboarder, so I doubted anything would have happened to him that he couldn't handle.

Why was he taking so long?

The funny thing was that one of Caleb's friends, who had gone up beside Crew, had come down already and was standing with us.

Caleb's other friend Daniel also came down, holding his jacket in his hand and walking around like an idiot in his thin neon yellow shirt with the words `Fuck You' in large block lettering.

Caleb was trying to talk to me, but nothing was really registering as I kept searching for Crew's familiar black North Face coat, red Oakley goggles, and of course his signature iPod attached to his arm.

"Hey, you didn't see Crew on the way down, did you?" I asked Daniel. I knew of him from back in the day, but not personally.

Daniel shook his head, not meeting my eyes, "Nope, can’t say that I did."

I looked again hoping to see Crew. I didn't.

"I'm going back up," I said walking determinedly back to the lift.

I felt someone grab my arm and when I turned I saw that it was Caleb.

"Relax Hiro. I'm sure he's fine. Some inexperienced kid probably ran into him or something and he's just checking to see if they're ok," Caleb reasoned looking worried, which I found weird since I didn't think he cared much for Crew.

I pulled my arm free, "It doesn't matter. I have to go and see what's up." With that I pushed past people at a hurried pace, wanting to beat them to the lift.

I sat down in the chair and waited impatiently as I was carried up the mountain. My legs were shaking with anticipation.

The lift had barely landed and I was already half off and maneuvering expertly down the mountain, my eyes on the lookout for Crew.

Further down I spotted a small crowd near the trees. I frowned, wondering what was going on. As I got closer, I felt my stomach drop. I saw a black snowboard with a pale blue dragon on it.

The exact board Crew had.

When I saw a flash of red near the body, I forced myself to fall, my ass hitting the snow hard. My board followed suit, digging into the snow perpendicularly, shearing snow off as it went.

I edged my way into the circle and nudged a guy out of the way.

"Oh god," I got out as I saw Crew lying there, seemingly lifeless. His head was turned sideways and there was a pool of blood around his head, coating the snow.

I took in his face which was incredibly pale and tinged blue. I felt my gut tightening with fear, more so when I saw blood along the left side of his face. The blood covered parts of his forehead and cheek, matting his dirty blond hair. The rivulets ran over his closed eyelid, wound down his neck, and even spread into the inside of his ear.

I looked for the source of the blood and saw a long, large deep gash on his head. The cut was deep and wide, definitely requiring stitches. The sight was actually making me queasy, as his dark blood continued to ooze out.

"Oh god, no. No, Crew!" I breathed out in a daze. I fumbled with my straps and freed my feet frantically so I could get closer to Crew.

My board began to slide down the mountain, but I didn't care. I crawled over to Crew ignoring the curious looks I got as I pushed everyone else aside. I gingerly touched the right side of his face, but a young guy grabbed my hand causing me to look up at him.

"Don't move him. We don't know how serious his injuries are. You could make it worse by moving him," he advised.

Breathing hard I nodded at the guy and turned to look at Crew. I leaned down, careful not to move him. My forehead gently grazed his and it already felt cold, causing my heart to feel as if someone was ripping it out of my chest. Tears sprang to my eyes and I shook my head, willing all of this to be a nightmare. I was hoping Crew would miraculously open his eyes, showing me their beautiful shade of blue.

"Crew," I whispered, "Crew, wake up." I brushed my lips across his long blond eyelashes, the only part not of him that wasn’t covered with blood. "Please, wake up Crew, please. God, you have to wake up!" I said desperately, my nose touching his. More of my tears fell down, dripping onto his battered face.

"Sir," I heard a voice, but I ignored him as I continued to hold onto Crew.

"Open your eyes, baby; I'm here now," I said caressing the right side of his face with my glove, "I’m sorry I left you. Please, open your eyes."

Still no response.

"Sir, we have to get him down and to a hospital," the patroller said more authoritatively. In the back of my mind I knew that he was right, but I couldn't seem to let go of Crew.

"Crew," I whispered, "Please don't leave me," I begged. I gently pressed my lips against his, eliciting a surprised murmur from the crowd.

I prayed I would feel him kissing me back, but no such luck.

There was this ache in my gut. It's a feeling where you want to cry and scream, but you're holding it. All of it is boiling in your stomach, churning, eating you alive.

"Son, please move over. We need to get him to the hospital," the patroller said firmly, but gently as he pried my arms away from Crew.

The cold air hit my face, making the tear streaks that lined my face feel sticky.

I watched helplessly as a few patrolmen gathered Crew's limp body, detached his board from his feet, and carried him carefully to the waiting snowmobile, supporting his head and neck with delicate care. I wondered how much damage had been done to his body.

"Son, why don't you take his board and meet us down at the base? We don't have enough room to take you down with us, but we can give you a lift to the hospital," the man offered. I looked at him with tear-filled eyes.

The man touched my shoulder briefly, "Come on now. Take his board and meet us at the main entrance. There's nothing we can do for him now. You just have to calm down. Go with us to the hospital, and a doctor can look at him, ok?" he said kindly.

I nodded numbly. With shaking fingers I took Crew's prized board and held onto it as I watched the snowmobile drive off with Crew.

The boys who had stopped around Crew were looking at me. I didn't feel like I had enough energy to even make it down the mountain-on Crew's board no less, but I knew I needed to be at that hospital. At lightening speed, I locked my boots in and haphazardly descended, with Crew and the image of his bloodied body plaguing my mind.

When I made it to the base, I snapped off the board and started running to the ambulance, which was attracting quite a crowd.

I noticed Caleb and his friends standing nearby. They were talking in hushed voices. Caleb looked half scared and half angry as he talked with Daniel. He caught sight of me pushing through and grabbed my arm as I passed.

"Hiro."

"Caleb, I got to go," I said twisting my arm free.

"What happened?" he asked fear in his eyes that I didn't quite understand.

"Crew got hurt; he got hurt real bad. I don't know if he, I mean he has to be, I mean, I don't know, I have to go!" I half shouted out of anxiety.

I paid no more attention to them as I ran to the ambulance. The guy who had spoken to me before waved me in hurriedly. Crew was strapped into a stretcher and I gently clasped his hand, praying for him to be alright.

I ended up waiting at the hospital for hours. My insides felt like they were being burned by acid as I waited for some news, any news at all.

Finally, a doctor came out and told me Crew: was still unconscious, had a concussion, and had to get stitches for the cut on his head. He needed casts for the broken wrist and neck bones; his knees were torn; and he was being treated for mild hypothermia and blood loss.

I felt sick to my stomach as the list went on and on. I'm glad that Crew was alive, but a concussion? Knee injuries? Hypothermia and blood loss?

Could Crew recover from all that and make it out ok?

**********ZEKE***********

"I hope this soreness goes away fast," Skyler said massaging his butt. He grinned at me while raising his eyebrows and winking.

I laughed, "It usually does. It's only really sore now because last night was your first time."

Skyler nodded, "I know, but it's making me walk funny."

I giggled, "Well, I guess you just need more practice in the future!"

Last night I was so shocked when Skyler said he wanted me to make love to him. That was definitely a first for me. I had never topped another man before, except for this one random hookup right after I broke up with Xavier. Most of the men I've been with had fucked me and fucked me hard.

I was pleasantly surprised when Skyler asked me to do this because it was special. I was even more surprised that he wanted to do it more than once. It just showed Skyler’s open-minded style and how he was into trying everything. I really loved those qualities in him.

But I loved it when he made love to me, so I, of course, had to ride him long and slow. After having sex three times in a row without much of a pause, we were so exhausted we fell asleep without dinner.

Now, after showering and giving each other blow jobs, we were finishing up a simple breakfast of peanut butter on toast and banana milk shakes.

"We need to do laundry," Skyler said suddenly, breaking our calm silence.

I looked at him waiting for an explanation since the comment felt a little out of the blue.

"We had sex three times last night and both of us came everywhere. I don't mind having our cum on our stuff, but sleeping on stains for a prolonged amount of time just pisses me off," Skyler said and I laughed at the grossed out look that came upon his face.

"Sure, we can do laundry and unpack our stuff. We need to make this place livable and not like some storage locker."

Skyler nodded, "Yeah, sounds good. I guess we can take it easy tonight, as far as fooling around." He adjusted in his chair and I giggled. Skyler closed his eyes and pursed his lips at me. I leaned across the table and pecked his lips lightly.

After washing our dishes, during which I snuck glances at Skyler as he dried the plates, we packed up our comforter, sheets, and pillow cases and headed to the laundry room within the building.

"While we wait wanna hit up Starbucks? It's really close to here," Skyler suggested as he turned the washing machine on and looked at me expectantly. I agreed.

I laced my fingers through his even though we were outside. We were in New York, who gave a shit? Skyler sure didn't because he smiled, pulling me closer.

"Venti iced white chocolate mocha, uh, with extra whipped cream and two espresso shots. I need me some bitterness," Skyler ordered with a smile as soon as we got inside. "What do you want?" he asked me.

"Uh," I said scanning the menu, "A frappe."

Skyler nodded at the cashier and the young guy rang up our order, occasionally glancing at the both of us as Skyler and I huddled together, smiling and giggling at each other.

It's weird when you're with someone; you somehow always want to be close to them even if you're not talking or doing anything in particular.

"Want some?" Skyler asked once we got our drinks.

I shook my head, interested in my frappe and the ice cream, "No, I'm good, you?"

He shook his head and nodded at me to follow him. We sat on some couches and sipped our drinks, sitting in comfortable silence.

I smiled. This was the happiest I had ever been in my entire life.

"What are you smiling about, Dorky?" he asked and I laughed.

"Dorky?"

"Goofy?" Skyler tried again.

"Goofy?" I asked tilting my head but smiling nonetheless.

"Goofy smile, goofy expression; what's that all about?" Skyler asked in amusement.

My smile widened, "I can't help it. The smile won't go away, even if I tried."

He laughed as he sipped his iced drink, "Well, better a smile than an angry look or something. I'm not complaining," he said leaning back into the cushion.

"Ok, you gotta stop," Skyler said after I continued to gaze at him with my ‘goofy smile’.

"What?" I asked innocently.

"It's getting creepy," he said, but didn't appear annoyed.

"I'm thinking about us," I admitted.

"What about us?"

"Just last night and how good it was," I said blushing mildly. He laughed.

"It was good, even I have to say," Skyler added.

"I know we said we were gonna take a rest today with the, uh, sex stuff, but I can't help thinking about it. I want to do it again instead of unpacking all day long," I said wrinkling my nose.

Skyler coughed as he laughed while trying to take a large sip of coffee. "Well, uh, I'm sure we can do other things that don't involve inserting parts of ourselves into one another," he said raising his eyebrows up and down, "Unless you think you can go again tonight? What’s your soreness level?"

I burst out laughing at both the comicality and the sincerity of the question. "Umm, I think I'm ok. I could probably manage. After all, I've had more practice than you-amateur," I said sticking my tongue out.

Skyler snorted, "Well in that case, let's head home."

I blushed further, "Or we could stick to other stuff, too. I like it all, actually."

"I like it all, too," Skyler said looking fondly at me. He glanced at his watch, "Want to head back now? The laundry should be ready for the dryer by now. We're gonna need our bedding if we're gonna do," he paused dramatically, "stuff."

"Do we really need the bedding to do," I paused as well, imitating him, "stuff?"

Skyler looked at me seriously, "Nope."

I broke into a smile with Skyler following suit. He placed his hand lightly on my lower back as he followed me out the door and we made our way back to the apartment.

Skyler was in the process of putting the blanket into the dryer and fighting with it a bit good naturedly when he suddenly stopped and fished his cell out of his jean pocket.

He checked the ID and then opened his phone and pressed a button.

"Dude, this baby is never gonna pop out," Storm's very annoyed voice rang out through the speaker phone.

Skyler grinned as he continued stuffing the comforter into the dryer, "Hey man, how's it going?"

"The baby is late, Sky! Late! I don't think it's ever gonna come out of her!" Storm groaned. I muffled my laugh.

"Wasn't her due date like yesterday or something?" Skyler asked.

"It was TWO days ago, meaning the stinking baby is late! The stupid little bastard."

I laughed silently, leaning on a washing machine.

"It's not a bastard, Storm. We all know you're the Dad," Skyler said laughing into the phone.

"I'm not in the mood for your shit, Sky," Storm groaned.

"Then why'd you call me?" Skyler quipped.

"Sky!"

"I'm sure it will come soon," Skyler said reassuringly.

"I hope so. I'm going fucking crazy at this point," Storm exclaimed, "Sky, you have no idea. I've been living with Kate for months. At first she was ok, but she just got worse as time passed. I hate to say this, but she's a total hormonal bitch. I feel like I'm going to commit homicide or something!"

"She's probably just as irritated and uncomfortable that she's not giving birth yet," Skyler said reasonably, "It's like having a watermelon shoved in your gut and pressing on your bladder nonstop."

"She's emotional and angry and I can't handle her. I need a break!" Storm groaned.

"Well, it's just going to get worse. Once you lose the crazy woman, you'll have a demonic crying baby on your hands," Skyler said unhelpfully.

"You're a shit," Storm said curtly.

I laughed out loud, unable to control myself at this point.

"Do you have to stay with Kate all day?" Skyler asked, "Want to come up here and help us unpack?" he asked grinning mischievously.

I shook my head and mouthed, "Evil."

Skyler just pursed his lips at me.

"I wish, but I don't want to leave Kate. What if by some miracle she does go into labor? I want to be there," Storm said.

"Makes sense," Skyler said nodding along, "For the next few days we'll be unpacking and settling in and exploring around. If Kate still hasn't popped by then, we'll come down and take you out to dinner for a breather and if she does manage to give birth that day, you can just run off."

"Yeah," Storm said sounding discouraged and tired.

"It will be ok, Storm."

"I know. I just needed to vent a bit," Storm said sighing heavily.

"Figured as much," Skyler replied easily.

"I'm gonna get us some dinner. I'll call you," Storm said.

"Right on," Skyler answered closing his phone.

He looked at me and we dissolved into giggles.

He pressed the button to start the dryer and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "Come on, let's go upstairs and get to our," dramatic pause, "stuff."

I threw my arms around his waist, hugging him as we walked up the stairs.

************CREW************

A wave of panic washed over me.

I couldn't open my eyes. They felt too heavy-as if they were sealed shut. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't open them.

My neck was immobilized as well and there was this huge ache in the left side of my head and face. The pain seemed to be coming from everywhere and I couldn't understand how I got into this state.

Oh god, was I paralyzed?

What the fuck happened? Where the fuck was I?

I began to sweat and breathe harder, gasping for air.

Fuck, I was hyperventilating.

"Crew Jamison?"

For the love of God, my hearing was still in tact!

I tried to answer, but my throat was so dry, all that came out was a low squeak.

"Crew, my name is Dr. Kyle. Please don't panic or try to move. You've incurred some very serious injuries."

No fucking shit. That was supposed to calm me down? If anything I began to panic even more.

"Here, let me get you some water," Dr. Kyle said and a few seconds later I felt the tip of a cup being held to my lips and I slowly opened my mouth, relishing in the feel of the cool water washing down my parched throat.

When I finished the entire cup I licked my lips and took in a breath, "Thanks." My voice came out raspy and my throat still felt scratchy.

"You're welcome Crew."

I felt a little better after drinking some water. Even though my eyelids still felt heavy, I finally managed to pry them open, which turned out to be a painful process.

I blinked and narrowed my eyes, staring at the doctor who appeared to be in his late 30's.

"Why do my eyes hurt so bad? Why does my head hurt? Why can't I move my neck? How long have I been here?" I asked all at once. Dr. Kyle looked at me sympathetically and he hesitated, causing me to worry again.

He saw my fear and placed a hand on my forearm, which I felt, so I knew I wasn't paralyzed which was the best news I could possibly find out.

"Your eyes hurt because you've been asleep for about a day and half," and my mouth fell open, "Your head hurts because you have a deep cut of about five inches across the top of your head. We had to stitch it up. And you can't move your neck because a few of your cervical vertebrae were broken."

"My vertebrae? What does that mean?" I asked my voice rising shrilly.

"It's ok, Crew. You will make a full recovery over time. Your cervical vertebrae, also known as the seven neck bones, surround your spinal cord to serve as a protective barrier. So your cord is intact. There will be no chance of paralysis, but you'll have to be extra careful for awhile as to not invoke further damage in your neck."

"How did I get here? When? What happened?" I asked, the words flying out of my mouth.

Dr. Kyle studied me, "You don't remember anything?"

I looked away from him, trying to think back on the events that had occurred before I woke up here.

"I went snowboarding," I replied slowly.

"And?" Dr. Kyle asked gently.

"I fell," I answered, trying hard to think back.

Then it flooded back to me.

Dr. Kyle saw the light bulb go off in my head and pressed down on my shoulder, "No abrupt movements, Crew. Try to stay still-your neck," he instructed. I lifted my fingers and felt the thick heavy cast that was weighing me down.

"I got hurt, but I didn't fall. Two guys, they did this to me. They hit my board and I lost control and then I fell. Then one of them, wearing bright clothes hit my head, with the board."

Dr. Kyle nodded, "So that's how you hurt your neck and got that cut."

I shifted in my bed, trying to get more comfortable and then a sharp pain hit my knees.

I looked at him with wide eyes, "My knees, what happened to them?"

"Torn ligaments, Crew. You tore your anterior cruciate ligaments in both of your knees."

I opened my mouth several times; each time nothing coming out.

Tears welled up in my eyes, "What does that mean?"

He sighed, "That it's a severe knee injury, caused when you fell. It's caused by severe twisting and forcing of the knee at an odd angle."

"Can I walk?" I asked fearfully.

"Well if you tore one ACL, yes, you could, but since you tore both of them, you'll be in need of a wheelchair for a considerable amount of time."

I felt as if I was punched in the gut. A wheelchair?

"When will I get better?" I asked hurriedly, already thinking ahead.

"That depends, Crew."

"On what?" I asked a bit impatiently.

"Most ACL patients can take up to nine months to begin walking normally again, but that's with intense rehabilitation. However, if you opt for arthroscopic surgery, you could be walking without crutches within two weeks or so. You would have full range of motion to play sports within a few months. Keep in mind, the recovery time always varies from person to person."

I swallowed, "How much is this surgery?"

Dr. Kyle paused, "About four thousand dollars per knee and that includes three days in the hospital."

My stomach dropped. There was no way I could pay eight grand for the surgery, in addition to my current hospital stay. I was a college student, my parents weren't alive, and I didn't have insurance. As it was, I would be in serious debt for this one hospital stay.

A tear rolled down my cheek, "It's useless. I'm gonna be a cripple forever."

"That's not true," Dr. Kyle began.

I looked up at him angrily, "What are you talking about?" I cried out in defeated anger, "I can't afford any of that. I can't even afford being here right now! I can't afford rehab. I'll never be able to walk again!"

The tears were spilling heavily at this point. I felt so broken and I couldn't even curl in a ball and cry because of my immense injuries.

"You don't understand Dr. Kyle; I don't have anyone in my life to take care of me. My parents and my brother, they're not around anymore," I said sadly, "I don't know how I will ever get better."

"Then who was that young man that came to the hospital with you? He was hysterical, wanting to stay with you. We had to have security escort him out when he tried to see you," Dr. Kyle said frowning.

Hiro.

I had forgotten all about Hiro in this overload of information.

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"It's 9:30 at night. Visiting hours are over and I assume he's at home."

I nodded, feeling so alone.

Dr. Kyle stood over me while I sat there numbly, wondering if all of this was some horrible nightmare that I would soon wake up from. The stabbing pain in my neck, knees, wrist, and head, told otherwise.

"Is there anyone else I can call for you?" he asked gently.

I sniffled and shook my head no. Dr. Kyle nodded and began to leave the room.

"Wait," I called out, a thought striking me.

He turned around and faced me expectantly.

"There is someone you can call for me."

Dr. Kyle patiently waited for me to continue.

************ZEKE***********

"I'm gonna be an Uncle sometime today!" Skyler said hopping up to me.

I looked at him blankly and then it dawned on me, "Storm's baby? Kate?"

He nodded excitedly, "My Mom just called and said Storm left with Kate to go to the hospital. Mom is on her way there right now. Kate’s water just broke!"

I scrunched my face at the mention of her water breaking. Gross.

"Well, Storm should be happy. It's been about a week or two late."

Skyler laughed, "Yeah totally," he grabbed my hand, "Come on, let's go!"

"To the hospital?"

"Yeah," he said dragging me with him.

Just as we reversed out of his driveway, Skyler's phone started ringing. He let go of the wheel and I quickly grabbed it, shooting him an annoyed glance while he flipped open his phone, before casually taking hold of the wheel again.

"Sup?" he called out.

I shook my head.

"What?" he asked with shock, his expression turning serious and concerned.

I immediately got worried. Was something wrong with Kate or the baby?

"Oh shit, ok," Skyler said. He abruptly hung up the phone and did a sharp U-turn at a nearby residential street.

I gripped the door handle and looked at him questioningly, "What happened?"

"Crew got in an accident."

My heart jumped into my throat, "What?" I gasped.

"My mom just got a phone call from a hospital in Colorado. She's on her way back home now, I'm gonna meet her there."

"Wait, what about Crew, is he ok?" I asked my voice shaking.

"He's alive, but he's in bad shape," Skyler said. I felt dazed.

"Zeke, look at me," Skyler ordered.

I slowly turned to him.

"I'm going home and dropping you off with Mom. She's looking up flights to Colorado as we speak. She’s getting you one, too."

"What?" I asked, "What about you? And Storm and the baby?"

He shook his head, "You’re Crew's best friend, Zeke. My Mom can't be there for Storm, so I'm gonna go there for him; but you need to be with Crew. You can see the baby when you get back."

"Where's Hiro? What happened to him?" I asked, "Did he get hurt too?"

"She didn't say," Skyler said as we pulled onto his street, "but Crew asked for my Mom and for you."

He pulled into his driveway and leaned over, kissing me quickly as he opened my passenger door, "Don't worry Zeke. Crew is fine-he just needs you right now. I'll be ok; now go," he said nudging me out the car.

I looked at him one last time and nodded, kissing him back briefly before heading to the front door where Mrs. Chin had already opened the door. I waved to Sky as he reversed out of the driveway and headed to the hospital.

"Hey honey, do you have any spare clothes in Sky's room?" she asked as soon as I stepped inside.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Good, start packing. Our flight is at 11:30. We'll arrive early tomorrow morning. I know we have a lot of time before our flight, but I need to make some arrangements for Crew," she said running around the kitchen.

"What happened to Crew?" I asked anxiously.

She looked at me, "I don't really understand what happened to him myself, Zeke. Maybe the doctor can explain it better to us in person. What I got is that he can't walk for awhile and I need to make some arrangements for him and find someone at my gym to do rehab with him and he’ll have to move in here."

She was rambling and looked frazzled but it was expected since her son was about to have a baby: she was about to be a grandmother. Meanwhile she had to fly to Colorado to check up on her ‘surrogate’ son.

She took a deep breath to compose herself and then flashed me a reassuring smile, "Honey, go pack, ok? I don't know how long we'll be staying there, that depends on when Crew will be discharged. I’d suggest packing enough for about five days, just in case, ok?

I nodded wordlessly and headed up the stairs to Skyler's room. I waded through his messy closet, reaching for his Adidas duffel bag and shoving in my clothes, as well as some of Sky’s. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking while I hurriedly packed. I prayed to God that Crew was all right. That boy had already been through so much.

I really wondered how much more he could take before he reached his breaking point.

***********HIRO************

"I need to see Crew Jamison, right now!" I yelled and the nurse leaned back, looking frightened. I stood there, shaking with fury as I looked at her menacingly. I hated hospitals and their stupid ‘family only’ visitation rules.

I had gotten a phone call from the Doctor treating Crew telling me that he had finally woken up. I needed to see him but I was having some problems with this damn nurse!

"Listen, I know I'm not family, but I'm close enough. He doesn't have anyone else. You have to let me see him!" I demanded angrily, "What room is he in? Tell me now!"

"Sir, I can't," she began again haltingly.

"You can and you will," I said clenching my teeth and banging my fist on the counter, causing her to yelp in fear.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I whipped around, flinging the hand off of me, expecting security and preparing to fight them off if necessary. I would not wait go another minute without seeing Crew. I was going out of my mind with worry.

"Hiro Takashami?" a guy wearing scrubs asked hesitantly, looking nervous as he held out his hands neutrally to me.

"Yes?" I barked out breathing heavily.

"Dr. Kyle told me to get you. Come with me please," he said haltingly as he eyed my tensed shoulders. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion and slowly followed him. I calmed down when I realized he was leading me to a room.

He opened the door and I walked inside hoping to see Crew. And I did, but unfortunately, he looked like he was in terrible pain. His blue eyes, which were normally so bright, looked tired and dull. When he met my stare, there seemed to be a lifeless quality in them.

"Crew," I said rushing over to him, but afraid to touch him.

He was silent, not saying anything to me. He looked at me blankly and sadly.

My eyes scanned over his body.

The side of his head was wrapped up in gauze but I could see the blood stains through the thin material. I remembered what the cut looked like and it appeared deep at the time. I'm sure he had some stitches under those bandages. His wrist was wrapped in a cast, so I assumed it was broken. His neck had a brace around it and I looked at the doctor for an explanation.

"Broken vertebrae, but no spinal damage," he answered.

"Are you ok?" I asked Crew gently, not knowing what else to ask.

Crew looked directly at me this time, his eyes full of unshed tears, "Hiro, I won't be able to walk."

"What?" I asked and I whipped my head to look at the doctor, "You said there was no spinal damage!?" I said in an accusing tone.

"There is no spinal damage, but his knee ligaments were torn severely. It will take intense rehab to get him walking and playing sports normally again," Dr. Kyle explained patiently.

I frowned and licked my lips. Crew was such an athletic person with his snowboarding and soccer or running; I knew this was very bad news for him.

"Crew," I said softly, but he seemed intent on lying on the bed staring up at the ceiling.
"Crew," I said again, gingerly placing my hand on his forehead, "What happened on the mountain?"

He spoke quietly but didn't tear his eyes away from the ceiling, "I was hit."

"Hit?" I asked.

"Two guys came up behind me on either side. They knocked my board around until I lost balance and fell over. I fell forward, snapping my wrist, tearing my knees, and I slid forward near the trees," he said in a monotone voice, "I didn't have time to get out of the way before the same guy that knocked my board came towards me and hit my head. After that, I don't know, I ended up here."

Someone had aimed for Crew? Who would do that to him, over here, of all places? No one even knew him.

I looked at him, "Crew, what did this guy look like?"

"I don't remember," was his sullen reply.

"Crew, what was he wearing? Do you remember anything about his outfit or gear or something?" I asked my anger growing with each word.

He shook his head.

I sighed and gripped the blanket around him, "Try to think back Crew," I said controlling my anger and annoyance that wasn't directed at him. I didn't want to upset him further by getting angry, especially when he was the one in pain.

"Wait," he began. I looked at him expectantly. "He was a tall guy, thin. He was wearing bright clothes."

Bright clothes? An odd feeling washed over me and I couldn’t understand why at the moment.

"What do you mean?" I asked carefully.

"Well, he wasn't wearing a coat. Just a neon yellow shirt with some black writing, which I couldn't read because he left so fast. I think his snowboard was yellow also. I think that's what I saw when he came towards my face."

Daniel. Caleb's friend Daniel had done this to Crew. My Crew.

I clenched my teeth, grinding them together.

Crew had warned me that Caleb had feelings for me, but I always brushed it off since it didn't matter if Caleb liked me or not; I loved Crew. But I never knew Caleb was this obsessed, to have told his friend to hurt Crew and hurt him this badly. Almost to the point of killing him.

"Crew," I started.

"Hiro, I'm tired," Crew cut me off abruptly, "I need to rest. Can you leave?"

I stepped back in surprise and looked at Crew. He had never dismissed me like that before.

I studied him. He looked different than the Crew I knew and had been with just a few days ago. He seemed cold, harsh, and distant, like he didn't want to be around anyone, even me.

"Crew."

"Please just go," he said with a hint of irritation in his voice. The finality of his words didn't sit well with me, but I had to respect his wishes.

I stood there silently in shock, but finally nodded and walked out, passing the Dr. on the way.

I would deal with Crew later, right now, I needed to see someone.

******************

"Hiro!" Caleb said with surprise on his face and some other flickering emotion.

Guilt?

Fear?

I pushed my way into his house and stood in the living room.

"You almost killed Crew," I stated simply, forcing myself to remain calm.

The calmer I acted, the scarier it was for others. People usually expected outbursts in this type of situation, so I always went for the calm, silent death mode.

Caleb swallowed hard and licked his lips, his eyes darting around a bit before they finally met mine again.

"What do you mean?"

"I know everything, Caleb, so don't play dumb. Crew said you talked with him, told him how you wanted me back and everything. I believe him. Crew is not the overly jealous type-he would never make anything like that up."

"You and your trashy buddies planned the whole thing, didn't you? Separate me and Crew? Ask for a friendly race and then have your guys double team Crew. Tell me, were you planning on just injuring him or almost killing him, because you succeeded."

Caleb looked sick to his stomach.

"He won't be able to walk," I said breaking the thick silence. I opted to leave out the part where Crew would walk in the future after some rehab and possibly surgery.

Caleb's eyes widened and his face became two shades paler. "He won't walk anymore?" he whispered.

"Yeah, and it's killing him. He has a neck brace, a broken wrist, and stitches for the massive cut on his head. You know, where all that blood came from. He was a star soccer player back in the day, and now he won't be able to walk. How does it feel to destroy someone's life like that, over something that would have never happened?" I asked my voice getting higher and angrier.

"This wasn't supposed to happen," Caleb whispered, running his fingers through his dark hair, "He wasn't supposed to get that hurt," he said his blue eyes filling with regret.

"I know Daniel did it," I added looking at him head on, waiting for him to break.

Caleb looked down at his feet.

"Crew saw Daniel's outfit, the neon shirt and his board as Daniel was breaking Crew's neck. Everyone knows what Daniel was wearing that day. Neon yellow sticks out in a large crowd."

"There may even be some of Crew's blood on Daniel's pretty board," I said, seething the words.

Everything I was saying was painful to my own ears, but I forced myself to say it, to get my point across, to mentally hurt Caleb.

It worked.

Caleb ran to the kitchen and vomited in the sink.

"I didn't mean for this to happen, for Crew to almost die. I just missed you and wanted to be with you!" he sobbed.

I ground my teeth and narrowed my eyes, "So you decided to take out my boyfriend?"

"I just wanted to mess with him a little, I didn't think this would happen," he said, his eyes red.

I let out a cry of anguish that was stewing throughout my entire body ever since I saw Crew half dead. The frustration of seeing Crew pushing me away and the defeat in his eyes at the hospital was eating me alive.

The guilt of not having been there for Crew, to protect him, consumed me. I panted as I tried to regain my composure and I swear the room was spinning. All the events that had occurred were finally getting to me now. My calm was rapidly crumbling.

"Hiro, I'm sorry," Caleb tried to say; I whipped my head in his direction so fast, I’m sure my neck cracked.

Caleb's eyes widened in fear at my expression.

With a fierce growl I threw my hand out and wrapped it tightly around his neck. His blue eyes bulged out as his hands clamped around my wrist, trying to free himself. I wrapped my other hand around his throat, increasing the pressure.

My eyes stared menacingly into his. All that could be heard in the empty kitchen was his strangled cries and gasps for air.

He fell to his knees, desperately trying to loosen my grip, but it was hopeless for him.
At one last attempt to get oxygen into his lungs, his arm shot up and tried to aim at my face, but I deftly caught his hand and twisted it backwards. A mangled shriek came from his throat.

"I hate you," I said in a dead tone, "I hate you so much."

His face was changing colors.

I lifted him up and hurled him onto the kitchen table, knocking off the plates. They crashed to the floor, breaking into pieces, the shrillness echoing in the empty house.

"I want you to die," I hissed.

Caleb whimpered as his mouth hung open, saliva dripping out. I squeezed his neck, not relieving any of the pressure I was applying.

I watched his face and his wide eyes, tainted with fear-with the fear of death and its looming presence as the life was being stolen out of him. His eyes took on a pleading quality as his hands weakly pulled on my wrists. I stared right back into his begging eyes, my gaze unwavering.

Then I began to feel hot liquid coursing down my cheeks , blurring my vision, and they fell onto Caleb's rapidly reddening face. I was confused for a second; I was crying.

"I hate you," I repeated, "I hate you so much for doing this to Crew. Don't you know what he's been through? How could you do this to him?" I asked as my tears spilled into my mouth.

Caleb couldn't answer. I was squeezing so hard, my knuckles were turning white and my forearms were beginning to go numb.

"You should die for what you did to him. No one would miss you, certainly not me," I said as more tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them with my shoulder. I leaned down, "But I'm not a murderer like you," I whispered into his ear, "If I were, you'd be fucking dead right now." I squeezed his throat more tightly, watching him suffer; then I released him.

He fell to the floor and curled into a ball as he sucked in air eagerly, his gasps loud and fervent. He crawled away from me, fear in his face. I stood rooted in the same spot, staring at him, willing myself to calm down, before I did something I’d regret.

He regarded me warily, his chest moving up and down rapidly, as he leaned against the cabinets, his hands visibly shaking.

No one had ever seen me express so much anger and hate. I was known to be a quiet, easy going person, but Caleb crossed a line. Not for just hurting Crew, but for messing with a life. It was a sick joke they were trying to play.

"I never want to see you again. You're worthless to me. I'm sorry to have ever met you, been with you, touched you, or talked to you!" I yelled. Caleb looked pathetic as he cowered under my gaze and the sight of him made me blind with fury. "You're lucky Crew made it out alive, or else I would have killed you and every one of your friends. I would have gladly spent the rest of my life in prison." With one last cold stare, I walked out, slamming the door with a loud bang.

**************

"Crew got in an accident," I said as I walked inside my grandparent's house.

My grandmother gasped, "Is he alright?"

"Not really. He'll recover physically, but it will take awhile. Right now he's in a bad mental and emotional state, though," I answered taking a sip of water.

"Oh that's terrible," she said.

My grandfather remained silent.

"When Crew is discharged, I'm leaving with him," I said, although I'm sure they knew that beforehand. I came with Crew; I would be leaving with Crew.

"Hiro, about what I said," my grandfather said, "I apologize, but they are my true feelings. I won't lie to you anymore about how I feel."

"That's fine," I said nodding, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'll tell you right now that I love Crew. I'm in love with him and he's in love with me. We're going to be together for years. We're not going to grow tired of each other; that is a fact. I love you both, but you have to respect me and my boyfriend."

"We're sorry Hiro," my grandmother said.

I nodded, "It's tough for you both; I understand that. But I have to live my life and I'm happy. That should be the most important thing to you two."

Having said that I left the room.

***********ZEKE************

I felt my legs give out a little when I first saw Crew as I entered his room.

My legs buckled, but I got control of them and forced myself to emit a level of control for Crew's benefit. But my facade crumbled when I saw Crew's expression of utter despair.
As I got close enough to hear him talk, he began to choke out words.

"Zeke, my knees, they're fucked up. I can't walk, I can't fucking walk!" he wailed.

I didn't know what to say so I just stood by his bed, holding onto his railing for support.

"I need rehab for months, you know I can't afford that," Crew said, tears falling, "I could make a complete recovery if I got surgery, but I can't afford operations on both knees and the hospital stay. I don't even have insurance. I am so fucked!"

My heart broke. My first instinct was to hug him but with the neck brace, I refrained and settled for sitting in a chair and resting my head on his stomach.

"Why is this happening to me, Zeke?" Crew asked in an oddly calm tone. "Is this my fate? Was all this shit supposed to happen to me? Alone at eighteen with no family? crippled at twenty-two?"

"No Crew," I whispered, "You don't deserve this."

"I don't know how much more I can take Zeke. My life has been nothing but pain for the past few years. Do you think it would have been better if I had died with my family? At least I would be with them now," he said, "instead of being some useless cripple!" he cried out.

I looked up and caught his eye, "No, Crew. You were spared for a reason! I know it sounds like fucking bullshit now, but it's true. You came out of that alive and you got through your depression. You went to school. You graduated college for fuck's sake! You fell in love with Hiro! You found love; you made a life for yourself! Don't think for one fucking minute you should have died! How could you think that, huh?!?" I asked, my voice getting louder with each question, "How?" and my voice cracked as I choked on my own sob.

Crew and I just stayed there together, crying quietly.

"I don't know where to go from here, Zeke," Crew murmured.

I gently ran my fingers along his swollen kneecap, "I'll tell you what will happen, Crew. You'll get discharged, you'll fly home with me and Mrs. Chin and you're gonna move in with her and Storm. You'll be surrounded by family, Crew-your family. Mrs. Chin will get you a physical therapist/trainer from her gym. She has connections, you know. She talked nonstop throughout the flight. She's a talker, that woman, my future mother in law," I joked, hoping to see Crew smile.

I was rewarded with the tiniest smile ever, but a smile nonetheless.

"I don't want to be a burden," he whispered.

I gripped his hand tightly, "You are NOT a burden to anyone, Crew! Now listen," I demanded. He looked amused for a second.

"You'll rest up at their house until you feel ready to do physical therapy. Sky and I will visit every weekend from New York. We will help pay off this hospital bill," I held up my hand when he opened his mouth to argue with me, "I love you, Crew," I said and he shut up.

"I love you, Crew," I repeated, "We were friends since we were fifteen. You were my best friend right away and you still are. You're more than my best friend, you're my brother. You let me stay with you whenever I needed to get away from my family-even when you had so much emotional shit going on. You always thought of me when I needed you. You helped me after each beating I got from Xavier. If you think I'm going to leave you now or consider you a burden, well maybe you should get your brain scanned or something, because you must be severely fucked up!"

Crew smiled and sniffled.

"We're going to get through this," I promised holding his hand tightly, "You, me, Skyler, Storm, his little baby, and Hiro. Do you understand me?" I asked, my eyes filling up again.

Crew tried to nod as he began to cry again. I stood up, kissing his forehead gently.

"Are you in a lot of pain?" I asked with concern.

His entire body looked so banged up. His head was wrapped in bandages, stained with faint traces blood. His wrist was in a cast, his legs, although covered with the blanket, were probably wrapped up with something. His neck brace made him look stiff.

"I'm in all kinds of pain. Every pain imaginable, I have it," he replied looking me in the eye.

The honest and broken answer made my heart break.

"We'll get through this," I said stroking his cheek, "Do you know who did this?"

He shook his head, "No, but I don't think it was an accident."

"What do you mean?"

"I think the guy aimed for my head. He didn't slow down. I was on a diamond; no one goes on that without knowing how to steer. He didn’t follow the turn. Instead this guy went after me. He didn't even stop to check if I was ok. He just left."

My fists clenched, "Do you know what he looks like?"

"No, it happened too fast; with the guy's head gear, I couldn't be sure," Crew replied thoughtfully

I nodded. Just then Mrs. Chin walked in, looking flustered and distraught.

"Crew," she breathed out, walking over quickly. She took Crew's other hand, "How are you? How are you feeling?"

"I'm good," Crew responded politely and I fought the urge to laugh. "Thank you for coming. I didn't know who else to call!" he choked out, "I just gave them your number."

"You should have called me. I'm glad you did!" Mrs. Chin said running her fingers across the gauze on his head.

"We're going to take care of this. Everything will work out. I spoke with the doctor; most of your injuries will heal, like the broken wrist, and the vertebrae in your neck. You'll have a large scar on your head, but it's a scar and it will make you look more rugged," she said smiling.

Crew looked at her gratefully. If anything, her positive reassurance was comforting. I was glad she was here. She was forceful and diplomatic with everything. It came with her becoming a single mother after her divorce, raising two sons, and her business background.

"As for your knees-it's unfortunate, but not the end of the world. Dr. Kyle told me about the surgery. You want it, don't you?"

"I can't afford it," Crew said.

"Nonsense, I will take care of it."

"But that can be thousands. With the rehab I'll need, it could be, like, fifteen grand for me to recover!" Crew protested.

"I can handle it. If I shift some stuff around, it will be ok. Crew, the twins are finished with school. Storm can work part time and I no longer have to support Skyler, since he's looking for work. You need this. Don't be stubborn or too proud to accept this. I want to help. I want to see you walk, and be healthy, and happy, ok?" she asked sincerely.

"But I don't want you to pay for it. I can't let you do that," Crew said shaking his head, or at least tried to.

Mrs. Chin paused and looked thoughtful, "Tell you what. I'll pay for the surgery and the rehab afterwards." She shot Crew a look telling him not to interrupt her, "When you get back on your feet, you'll work for me at my gyms as a trainer and half your paycheck can go to me."

Crew looked amazed. “What?”

"But you have to live with me and Storm and help baby sit. I raised two crazy kids as it is-I don't want to go through a third kid that ain't even mine!"

I laughed at her choice of words.

"Anyway, as I was saying," she said shaking her head, reminding me of Skyler, "You stay with us, rent-free of course, since the mortgage was paid off ages ago. I want you to rent out your house to people and use that money as your savings. How does that sound?" she asked firmly.

I was amazed. She had come up with this entire plan in a span of a few hours, if even that long! We only got wind of Crew's situation not too long ago.

Crew had tears in his eyes again, but they were happy tears;"Oh," was all he could get out before he had to close his eyes and compose himself.

"See? There is a solution to everything, Crew," Mrs. Chin said warmly, "I think this will work out just fine, honey. You shouldn't be alone anyway. It will be fun living with me and Storm and his baby, which, by the way is being born or has been born as we speak."

Crew's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open, "Storm's a Dad today?"

She nodded, "And I'm a grandmother."

"Congratulations," Crew said and she smiled.

"Consider this a favor to me, Crew. You're such a hard working level headed kid; I wish you were my son as well. I want you to live with me. It makes me sad to have an empty house," she smiled affectionately, "So do we have a deal? You move in with me, surgery as soon as possible, rehab, you work at my gym to pay me back, and you rent out your house?" she recapped.

"Yes. Yes to everything; thank you so much," he said.

She squeezed his hand, "Don't even mention it, kiddo."

She looked at her watch, "Let me speak to Dr. Kyle again. I'm gonna bug him about when you can be released. Hospitals suck; you'd be much better off at home with us," she said. She marched out of the hospital room with her shoulders squared.

With her superior skills of persuasion, I wouldn't be too surprised if Crew was out of here within the next day or so.

I felt my pants buzzing and I took out my cell phone.

I opened it and saw a picture text from Skyler. It read: It's a boy. Say hello to Sean Luke Chin, 6 lbs., 7 ounces. The picture showed Storm holding a tiny baby wrapped in blue. The image was tiny and all I saw was a little pink squished face in Storm’s arms.

Crew and I shared a laugh as I sent back a congratulatory text from the both of us.

"Babies are kinda gross looking," I announced and Crew burst into laughter.

"No, they're not."

"Yes, they are! They only get cute when they're like, ten months to a year old. Until then, they’re just some pink blob," I said. "Like play-dough or some shit. You know, the stuff we used to play with when we were all younger and shit out when we accidentally ate it?" I elaborated.

Crew giggled, "That's fucked up, man."

"Whatever," I said sticking my tongue out.

There was a pause. I glanced at Crew who was looking thoughtful. I was afraid for him to think too much, afraid he would fall into self pity mode, which translated into depression and suicide.

The last time I caught Crew before he hurt himself. It was devastating, knowing my best friend was hurting so badly. This time around, I would double my efforts.

"Ok bud, let me be honest. I'm scared for you and what's going on in that pea-sized head of yours right now, so let's talk about something fun," I said.

Crew nodded, smiling slightly, "You know me too well."

"That's for sure."

"So what do you want to talk about then," he said, craning his body a little so he could face me.

"Ok, don't tell Skyler I told you this, although I'm sure he wouldn't mind," I said leaning forward, "But I made love to him a couple days ago, twice in one night."

Crew's eyes widened. I saw that familiar spark in them and I knew he would be ok, with our help and support.

"Wow, what was it like? How did it happen? Did you ask him to do it or did he offer?" Crew asked sounding like his old enthusiastic child-like self.

I smiled. He would be alright, just like he always was. Crew didn't believe it right now, but he was meant to survive things. He was the strongest person I knew.

"Well, it started on our first official day in the apartment, when we moved in. We didn't want to unpack," I began as I carefully watched his expression, which appeared curious and interested.

Yeah, Crew was definitely tougher than he thought he was.

If only I could get him to realize that.

****************

Like I predicted, Mrs. Chin got Crew out in no time.

He had to stay for two days after our visit, but that was better than the original week or so the doctor had planned. Mrs. Chin convinced him that Crew would be better off with us, at home, in a loving environment where help would be at his disposal.

She said he would be getting the surgery he needed, the rehab, and the training. Dr. Kyle seemed ok with her since she had knowledge on a lot of the physical science and fitness aspects.

That, and she was about to make a scene on how hospitals were preying on young kids with no insurance, accusing him of wanting to put Crew in debt, destroying his already damaged life. She was really laying on the guilt and then she began to insinuate Dr. Kyle had something to gain from Crew's financial misfortunes. That's when he caved in.

I heard bits of the conversation. Mrs. Chin's voice carried quite far. She wasn't embarrassed to make a scene, if it was necessary. I definitely knew who Skyler took after.

Anyway, Skyler and I talked everyday while I was in Colorado. He told me all about the baby and also about the long wait during delivery.

"That damn baby didn't want to leave Kate's uterus or something. After about ten hours, I was tempted to go in there myself and reach inside her to pull the damn baby out!"

He talked with Crew also, causing Crew to laugh-which he definitely needed.

I noticed Crew didn't mention Hiro. When Hiro stopped by, Crew was distant, which I found odd, but I didn't question Crew. He had enough going on right now. He didn't need to be interrogated.

When we all flew home back to Jersey, Crew sat in the handicapped section since he was in a wheelchair. He needed even more care because of his severe neck condition. I knew Crew wanted to sit with us, but it wasn't possible.

Before going to the twin’s house, we drove over to Crew’s place. Crew sat in the car while Hiro and I packed for him, mainly taking more clothes. He already had his bathroom stuff because of his Colorado trip. We came back with three large bags, so no extra trips would have to be made in the future.

"Crew, I'll come by your house this coming weekend to clean up a bit and empty out the perishable stuff in your fridge."

He nodded at me, "Thanks."

"Hiro, dear, you want to go back to your grandmother's place or will you stop by my house for a bit?" she asked as she looked in the review mirror.

I caught the exchange between Crew and Hiro, or the lack thereof. Hiro turned to look at Crew who avoided Hiro's stare and fidgeted instead.

"No, I'm a little tired. I think I'll just head home," Hiro answered.

For the rest of the ride, Hiro and Crew didn't say a word to each other, didn't look at one another, and when Hiro left the jeep, they barely acknowledged each other. Hiro seemed like he wanted to say something more, but decided against it because of Crew's odd behavior.

I wasn't the only one that noticed this. As Crew looked down into his lap, Mrs. Chin and I exchanged a glance.

I promised myself I would investigate this little situation. Hiro was good for Crew. I wasn't going to let Crew throw what he had away.

It was my duty as Crew's best friend to knock some sense into him.


 



 

Copyright © 2011 Tiff; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

O.M.G.

That is the saddest damn chapter, poor Crew he's been through so much crap,

it's about time his luck and fortune changed for the better. ;)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..