Jump to content
    Tiff
  • Author
  • 3,654 Words
  • 2,963 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jumping Over My Mountain - 31. Epilogue

Jumping Over My Mountain
by Tiffani Chin

Epilogue

---------------------------------------------

******CREW******

“Mom, enough with the freaking pictures, will you?” Skyler demanded in exasperation. “How am I supposed to catch up with everyone else when I’m constantly posing for pictures?”

“I thought you loved to pose,” she shot back grinning as she held up the camera and snapped again as Skyler opened his mouth to respond. “Candid photos,” she shrugged smiling charmingly. “Give your mother a break. I haven’t seen you in over two years since you left me to go to California.”

“Ma,” Skyler interrupted rolling his eyes. “I do visit.”

“Alright, sour puss face,” she teased when Skyler shot her another annoyed glance. “Go eat something.”

“Crazy woman,” Skyler muttered as soon as his mother left.

“Aw, she just misses you,” Zeke said. “We do live across the country now. Permanently. When she sees us all together, you know she gets picture happy. Remember graduation?”

“I know,” Skyler rolled his eyes. “You didn’t even go to the same college, yet she managed to insert you in every picture. Crazy, I tell you.” He turned to Hiro and me. “I still can’t believe you’re moving. I thought you wanted to stay in your house forever.”

I smiled. “I did, but I have had a lot of time to think about it. Tom made me realize that even if I boxed up their stuff and moved into a new house, I’d never forget them. I didn’t have to keep everything the same. In fact, that had been unhealthy because I kept holding onto the past and remembering my pain each time I saw their empty rooms. In a new house, we will have a fresh start. Anyhow, it’s not like I’d ever forget my family.”

“I’m happy for you. I think that’s a good idea,” Zeke said slapping my shoulder. “Any particular reason you chose Florida?” he asked curiously. “I didn’t know you loved the sun and beach that much?”

I smiled. “I wouldn’t mind it though,” I pointed out. “Swimming is better for me these days. I might have to limit snowboarding since it gives me the most painful aches. I’d like to do some surfing when Hiro isn’t around to nag me about my knees. Or we could do after dinner walks on the beach at night,” I shrugged. “Just seemed laid-back and a fresh happy start for us.”

“Hiro better load up on the sun block. He’s going to burn like hell. And what about those hurricanes?” Zeke went on. “And alligators?”

I laughed. “I’ll be fine. If a bad hurricane strikes, we’ll leave, although it shouldn’t be too bad where we’ll be. And the twin’s mom did say there was always a place for me and Hiro at her house. As for those alligators, I’m a pretty fast runner.”

Zeke rolled his eyes but chuckled at the same time.

“Sky, I’ve been meaning to ask, how did you break your arm?” I asked referring to the neon green cast that was covered in signatures.

“Hey, I had to skateboard down those San Francisco hills. Life is short, remember?” he smirked. “It was an awesome ride, until I collided into the door of that house. Those people weren’t too pleased.” Skyler shrugged. “Ah well.”

“This guy is so stupid,” Zeke rolled his eyes. “Hours in the hospital and all he did was laugh like a fucking idiot.”

“Oh, calm yourself.” Skyler also rolled his eyes. “It all worked out. Why bother rehashing everything out?”

“As long as you don’t do it again,” Zeke warned.

“Yes, Daddy.” Skyler pursed his lips and blinked his eyes rapidly. Zeke laughed and shoved Skyler’s shoulder playfully.

“I won’t even ask,” I said shaking my head. “You guys are as gross as ever.”

“Hey, we keep the romance alive,” Zeke snorted.

“Perverts!” I teased.

“You know what’s good?” Skyler wiggled his eyebrows, grinning widely. “Role-playing.”

“And electronic gadgets,” Zeke added.

“With a script full of dirty talk,” Skyler went on. “We write them together.”

“Don’t forget the costumes,” Zeke finished.

Hiro and I stared at them, our eyes wide, and our mouths--well, at least my mouth-- hanging open slightly. Hiro wasn’t one for showing his expressions.

“What the fuck?” I murmured in disbelief. “You guys are doing some kinky shit? Gadgets?”

Zeke and Skyler maintained serious expressions, and I narrowed my eyes as I studied them. That’s when I saw the crack in Skyler’s lips as they started to tremble.

I pointed at him triumphantly. “You’re fucking with me! I knew it. You assholes.”

“Just because we’re laughing doesn’t mean it’s not true,” Skyler said through his giggles. “We do what we need to do.” He winked. “Keep that magic alive.”

I groaned. “Enough of that business. I just ate.” I rubbed my stomach. “I’m going to find Storm. Talk to the more normal twin.” I happened to glance over at Storm and saw Sean jumping up and down on the couch cushion with a muffin in his hand. Storm shot Sean a disapproving look and tugged Sean into a sitting position. Sean laughed loudly, throwing his head back. He shot Storm a big smile and instantly Storm’s face softened.

“Oh shut your hole,” Skyler shot back smiling. Then he looked thoughtful. “Huh, speaking of Storm, I need to find him also. I got so sidetracked when Mom started acting like the paparazzi that I didn’t get a chance to talk to him. How come she didn’t bombard him with pictures?” he demanded.

“Because they live together, you idiot,” Zeke said. “How much of his face could she take?”

“We have the same face!”

“But yours is better looking,” Zeke joked.

Skyler smirked. “Ah, how true and my mother always knew it. She just didn’t want to admit it when poor Storm was around,” he whispered mockingly.

“You’re so full of shit it’s regurgitating out your pie hole,” Zeke laughed.

“Is it me or are they insulting one another more than usual?” I asked Hiro.

“Definitely more than usual. Maybe that’s what happens when a couple is together for a long time?”

“Nah, it’s just them. They’re both crazy. We don’t insult one another and we’ve been together almost as long,” I said.

“We’re different.”

“As in ‘not crazy’?” I asked.

“Exactly,” Hiro replied with a calm smile. I laughed and laced our fingers together.

“Come on; let’s go find Storm and let these two duke it out,” I said dragging Hiro behind me. I made my way to the couch where Storm was talking with Hela and Bryce. I also spotted Sean lying on the couch, his little legs in Storm’s lap.

Sean spotted me first. Waving wildly with both arms, he attempted to sit up, but ended up flopping on his back. “Hi!” He beamed brightly at us.

“Hi sweetheart,” I said grinning at him, taking his tiny hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. He scrunched his face and smiled up at me.

Hela looked up. “Hey Crew. Hiro.”

“Hey guys. Haven’t seen you two in forever,” I said nudging some plates aside and taking a seat on the coffee table across from them.

“Been busy with work. Kelly is about to pop, so she’s staying with us until she gives birth,” Hela explained.

“We’re excited,” Bryce said. “Although she’s a little, umm, cranky.”

“She’s a total B-I-T-C-H. But she’s allowed to be. Can’t imagine pushing out a watermelon out of my as…”

Bryce pinched him. “Watch it. Sean’s here,” he whispered.

“Shoving a watermelon out of my butt,” Hela said in a mock solemn voice. Bryce rolled his eyes.

“Kelly is the girl who’s giving you her baby, right?” I asked having heard that from Storm.

Bryce nodded. “About time. It feels as if we had been waiting forever. It’s frustrating how the adoption process can take forever.”

“Especially when you’re waiting for something,” Hela added. “It’s pure luck that we met Kelly.”

“How did you meet her?” Hiro wondered.

“In an amusement park. We got to talking about the adoption and Kelly overheard us. We started talking and Bryce and I were complaining about the long wait. She mostly listened and then she got really quiet. We were about to leave her alone when she stopped us. That’s when the whole story came out about her getting pregnant and not knowing what to do about it. It was a whole long story with lots of family drama,” Bryce said waving his hand. “Long story short, she was too young to keep the baby. We gave her the contact info for our adoption agency. Now, here we are,” he finished.

I smiled. “A happy ending.”

“A weird way of things turning out for the better,” Hela said. “Who would have thought that a trip to the amusement park would give us a baby?” He looked at Bryce. “You didn’t even want to go at first. Said you were too stressed. Aren’t you glad I made you go?”

“Yeah, yeah, you throw that in my face enough. Get over it.”

Hela laughed loudly and hugged Bryce briefly. “Hey, before you guys officially move, you two should come over for dinner,” Hela suggested. “You do live really close.”

“Sure.” I glanced at Hiro who nodded in agreement. “Maybe I can meet your baby’s momma. Is she cute?”

“Very,” Hela said with approval. “And she showed us her ex-boyfriend’s picture. Hot stuff. We’re going to have a gorgeous child. They were both blond kids, so maybe the baby will look like Bryce.” He sighed. “That’d be cute, one of our kids looking like us.”

Bryce smiled. “Yeah, but finding one that looks like you might be difficult.”

“True,” Hela agreed. He opened his mouth to say more, but was cut off when Skyler jumped on top of Storm. He grimaced briefly and rubbed his cast, but then in Skyler fashion, he grinned widely.

“Hey brother dear!” Skyler cried out. “Miss me?”

Zeke quickly scooped up Sean to ensure that he wouldn’t be kicked in the face by Skyler’s feet. “Hey teeny beanie,” he said bouncing Sean in his arms.

“Hi Mr. Z,” Sean answered smiling.

“I’m Mr. Z,” Zeke whispered to me. “How odd.”

“He calls me Coo, if that makes you feel any better,” I shrugged. “He’s three. His speech isn’t quite up to par yet.”

“That’s ok,” Zeke said planting a big kiss on Sean’s chubby cheek. Sean laughed loudly and wiped his face. “Do I get a kiss?” Zeke asked pouting.

Sean giggled before leaning forward and kissing Zeke’s chin.

“Thanks baby,” Zeke said rocking Sean in his arms. “He’s gotten so big. Haven’t seen him in such a long time.”

“Should visit more often,” I stated.

“California is too nice. You need to visit us more often,” Zeke said simply.

“You saw Kate again?” Skyler practically yelled, sparking our interest enough to stop our own conversation and listen in on theirs. “What, is she freaking everywhere?”

“She was with Frank. I was shopping at some new food market with Sean and I saw them. The market is in Colts Neck, kinda far from where we live, but I heard about it from some lady when I was at the playground with Sean,” Storm shrugged when we all looked at each other and grinned.

“You’re exchanging grocery locations with playground Moms?” Skyler asked laughing loudly. “You’ve reached a new low, dude.”

“I can’t help it,” Storm protested. “I’m standing there watching Sean run around the jungle gym and I just started talking with some of the mothers.”

Skyler snorted and Storm shot him a dirty look. “Can I finish my story?” Storm demanded.

“Yeah, just ignore him,” Zeke advised. “It’s what I do when he gets annoying.”

“So you ignore him all the time?” Hela asked smirking. “Damn, how the hell did you guys last this long?”

“I’m good in bed,” Skyler shot back with a wide smile. “You’d be surprised how far those skills can take you.”

I groaned. “Enough of that. Storm, what happened with Kate?”

“Oh yeah, so I saw Kate and Frank at the checkout line. I was just browsing around, so I kind of ducked into a corner. I just don’t like seeing Kate or having her see Sean,” Storm explained his expression hardening slightly. “Anyway, you remember Frank? The guy we got into an accident with,” Storm went on, looking at Skyler.

“Of course,” Skyler said nodding for his brother to go on.

“Dude, Frank totally lost his hair. Receding. Hardcore,” Storm said grinning again. “And Kate looked mad old and haggard. And her ass got really big.”

Skyler didn’t say anything; he simply held up his good arm in a high-five gesture.

“How do you not miss that?” I teased Storm. “All of Skyler’s random actions and comments?”

“I miss it. A little,” Storm shrugged nonchalantly. Skyler made a face.

“I miss this,” I announced.

“What?” Hela asked frowning.

“All of us. Hanging out together. Remember the “pig-fest” we used to have when we were in college and you and the twins lived in the same apartment building near campus?” I asked.

“Oh yeah,” Hela and Skyler said at the same time.

“Good times,” Skyler said. “Food. Pizza. Donuts.” He made a humming noise.

“Is that all you care about?” Zeke snorted. “The food?”

“What, you think I’d care about you bozos?” Sky smirked. “I have friends all over. Do you know who I am? I can easily replace you suckers.”

“Well, I miss those times,” Zeke said.

“Me too,” Storm added. “It seems none of us had any problems or big issues back then.”

“Not true. Crew and I had some tension after our little, uh, breakup. Then Hiro came along,” Hela reminded. “After awhile we just kind of stopped. It’s sad how things just stop or change as time goes on.” His voice took on a wistful quality.

“You’re telling me.” Storm said as Sean wiggled free from Zeke’s grip and started climbing onto Storm’s lap. “More responsibility as we get older.” He wrapped his arms tightly around Sean. “I feel insanely old.”

“I feel old,” I agreed. “It’s like I’ve been through ten lives or something.”

“But at least we’re all moving forward,” Bryce said. “Things look good for all of us.”

I stared at my friends and pondered Bryce’s words. He was right.

Skyler and Zeke had made it through graduate school with no problems and their share of crazy stories. They permanently relocated to the West Coast two months after getting their degrees. They came back home to pack up the remainder of their stuff and to say their goodbyes to family and friends. Once they landed an apartment and got settled in their new location, Zeke actually got a job in finance. He claimed he wanted the stability and steady income. Skyler was working at the community college as an adjunct professor. Bless those poor vulnerable students who were learning from him.

Storm only worked part-time because he wanted to spend as much time as possible with Sean. He was still single, and didn’t really go out that much. Raising Sean was harder than he expected, but overall he seemed happy.

Physically I had fully recovered, but there were times that my knees ached terribly, especially in the cold weather, or after snowboarding, running, or playing soccer. I couldn’t engage in those activities as often or vigorously as before, since it took me longer to bounce back. But at least I was doing them. These days Hiro and I were into swimming. It kept my joints happy and I swear I felt slimmer.

And now Hiro and I were moving, buying our first house together and starting fresh. I felt happy and proud and ridiculously grown up. The past was behind me. It was still stored in my memory, but it didn’t control me like it once had. Therapy with Tom helped, too. I no longer saw him as a patient, but I had had dinner at his house often. I even brought Hiro along.

I’d miss everyone since we were all going in different directions, but like Bryce said, everyone was in a good place. How could I be unhappy with the changes when everyone else was so happy because of them?

“Not everyone is in a good place. Storm is still single,” Skyler teased. “How many times a day do you spank the monkey?” he giggled.

Everyone groaned and Skyler laughed even harder.

Storm hugged Sean even tighter in his arms and kissed Sean’s cheeks loudly. Sean giggled and squirmed, his hands clutching Storm’s neck. “I don’t need anyone at the moment. Sean is the love of my life, right baby boy?” Storm asked, rubbing noses with Sean. “I love you.”

Sean’s hazel eyes lit up and he snuggled his face into the crook of Storm’s neck, smiling goofily as his small finger poked Storm’s cheek.

“Man, I can’t wait for our baby,” Hela murmured staring at them. “So sweet.”

“It is,” Bryce agreed.

“Hey, I have an idea!” I exclaimed excitedly, getting everyone’s attention. “Sky, Zeke, you guys don’t head back to LA until Sunday, right?”

They nodded.

“Hiro and I don’t fly out until Saturday. Want to have one last pizza and donut pig-fest?” I suggested eagerly. “We’ll have everyone there. I mean, of course Sean will be there. Hela, you can bring your sister if you want to. I’ll invite Kenny and Jarett. They’re both home for the summer,” I smiled, the idea forming rapidly in my mind.

“Are those two finally together yet?” Storm asked smiling.

“They’re young and in college. Jarett is going to be a junior and he goes to school in Hawaii. Kenny goes to school in New York. Long distance would not be good for them at the moment,” I explained. “Maybe once they both graduate they can figure things out. Anyway, what do you guys think? Want to?”

“We actually have the week off,” Hela said. “We’re spending more time with Kelly these days since she’s due any day now.”

“We’re in, but is it ok if Kelly comes along?” Bryce asked uncertainly.

“Of course it is,” Skyler said waving his hand. “A girl’s gotta eat. Especially one who’s preggers.”

“So, you’re all in?” I asked.

Hela and Bryce nodded.

“Yeah,” Storm said grabbing Sean’s foot as Sean’s leg slipped from Storm’s lap.

“Anywhere with food, I’m there,” Skyler said grinning.

“What he said,” Zeke chimed in. I looked at Hiro who was being his usual quiet self. “Don’t bother asking Hiro,” Zeke laughed. “He goes where you go, remember?”

“Hiro?” I asked ignoring Zeke.

Hiro smiled. “What he said.”

I blushed slightly and clapped my hands. “Awesome. This will be so great. I’m going to take a ton of pictures.”

“No more pictures!” Skyler groaned, falling face-first into the couch cushion in exasperation. “I’m gonna go blind with all the flashes. Come on, give a guy’s eyes a rest, will you?”

“Did I hear someone mention pictures?” The twins’ Mom walked up with a devilish gleam in her eyes and the small digital camera poised in her hand.

“No!” Skyler cried out dramatically. “Run for it!” He attempted to get up, but Zeke grabbed him by his hips and yanked him back down.

“Don’t be such a baby Skyler. You visit home two or three times a year,” she said. “Humor your mother, the woman who gave birth to you and stretched her skin, will you?”

“Yeah, and we don’t have a group photo with everyone in it,” I pointed out. “I’d love a copy of that, to hang up in our new house.”

“That’s my boy, Crew,” she said patting my back. “Candid photos! Look natural!” she ordered.

With some chuckling and grumbling on Skyler’s end, we all gathered together, and smiled.

“Say cheese!”

“That is so lame,” Skyler snorted. “Who came up with that garbage? I’m not saying that.”

“Cheese!” Sean shouted enthusiastically raising his fists in the air. Storm looked down at him and started laughing and rubbing Sean’s head affectionately.

Hela and Bryce looked over and joined in the laughter.

“What a little baby,” Zeke cooed. Skyler gently tugged on Sean’s hair.

I smiled at my friends and felt Hiro’s lips on my cheek. As I turned to look at him, our lips crashed together.

Then I saw a bright flash.

“Perfect photo,” she proclaimed.

Five days later, when Hiro and I were busy unpacking in our new home, I made a point of hanging up the framed picture right away, in the kitchen. As I started putting our appliances away, I couldn’t help glancing at it and smiling a bit wistfully.

I have no idea how long I had been standing there, but I felt arms wrap around my waist and soft lips at the nape of my neck. I sank into Hiro with a contented sigh.

“Isn’t that a beautiful picture?” I asked.

I felt his smile on my neck. “No one is looking at the camera,” he said.

“Except Sean,” I said, looking at the little round face smiling back at me. “But it’s perfect. We’re all engaged together. Like one big happy group.” I rubbed the frame with my finger. “I’ll miss everyone.”

Hiro gently turned me until I was facing him. “We’ll always see them. We’re always going to be a part of one another’s lives. Don’t worry.”

I still stared at the photo. Hiro was right. No matter what happened in the future, good or bad, I could always rely on my friends and Hiro to be by my side. It was because of them that I was able to make it this far in life.

“I’m not worried,” I said, wrapping my arms around his neck. “I’ll always have you by my side. You and me. Forever.”

“Forever,” Hiro repeated, leaning in for a kiss.


 


 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Hope everyone enjoyed this story as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it.

Thanks to Frances for editing. It has been a long journey and I greatly appreciated your time and effort in helping me. Thanks to Gary for beta-reading and his encouragement and support during my writer's block.

Feedback is welcome by Forum, PM, or email at EliteECrew@verizon.net


Copyright © 2011 Tiff; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great Story

I loved the way the characters all revoled and played of each other, it made it in my mind seem more life like if that makes sense. Anway loved it... :)

 

Ps nothing came of Bryce's dad?

Thank You

Link to comment

Loved this story, and the characters were all so unique in their own way. I cried and laughed along the way, so that meant it was an awesome read!

Link to comment

Loved the story. I loved the ups and downs, breakups and coming back together. Well written and loved the interaction and relationships with each character.

Link to comment

Love the story I had read Sean's story first without realizing it since I know all the couples. But be that as it may I really enjoyed reading and learning how the couples came to be. I cried sometimes, other times laughed so hard. But the best part of it is that irregardless of the pain, hardships and suffering there was always the laughter and the closeness of the guys. 7 guys grew up and closer than ever, no matter what, awesome story

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..