Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,123 Words
  • 197 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 10. Chapter 10

“Could you tell me more about the Lost One’s way of life?”

Gunter, the youngest of their group with the hematite black scales steps forward, his eyes shyly avoiding my own.

“It is custom that our youngest is to pass on the tales of our kind. It refreshes the legends in their mind and gives them a chance to show off their knowledge.”

Frau leads him closer, patting the packed earth beside me.

“M..my lady.”

He bobs nervously and I smile gently at him.

“Thank you for sharing with me, Gunter.”

Katia returns with a woven basket filled with dried jerky and berries, setting it on the floor before me as Gunter takes a seat.

“What would you know of us, Lady Moon? Please feel free to ask me anything.”

“Tell me your favorite legend while I eat.”

Smiling more broadly, he finally meets my gaze.

“In a time long past, the dragons held domain over the entirety of Asteria. Land, sea, and sky were held in their rule. The Twins, brood of the White Dragon, grew greedy and jealous of their father’s power. Waging war upon him, the sky became painted in the blood of the many who fell in their path for power. Asteria, on the brink of being destroyed, called out for help. ‘Please, White Dragon, you are the only one who can reign in your kin.’ All the nations cried. ‘Lend me your power,’ the White Dragon replied, ‘Together we can bind them and all will be well.’ The many nations joined as one and cast up into the sky a piece of themselves and watched as the White Dragon grew and grew before their eyes. Into the sky he flew on outstretched wings. The Twins fought viciously against their brood father, ripping his scales asunder from his body and throwing them back to the ground below where the Drakkan Mountains rose towards the skies. ‘You are too late,’ the White Dragon crowed, ‘We will be locked together within the heavens and you shall cause no more harm to this world. To this day the White Dragon hangs high above us, holding The Twins in his clutches. Together they wax and wane as they struggle ever more to escape their father’s bindings.”

The dried meat is salted but otherwise unseasoned, instead it’s natural flavor is preserved. I’m afraid I make something of a hog of myself as I listen to the young one’s story. A white dragon and his twins...again I feel a tight squeeze in the vicinity of my heart and instinctively wrap my tails closer against my side.

“Why do the Lost Ones choose to hunt when The Twins are missing from the sky?”

“It is during that time the White Dragon draws them away so that those on Asteria may move without fear, making it the time when we hunt and gather. There are more fish and the game is plentiful as many beasts feast during this time of plenty.”

“Do you like to hunt, Gunter?”

His eyes begin to shine with a childlike wonder and he pats his dark chest.

“I am one of the very best hunters among the Lost Ones, Lady Moon. Not only am I the best at veiling, but my dark scales make me practically invisible in the dark.”

My head cocks to one side, ear pricked as I hear his term.

“What is ‘veiling’?”

“Allow me to show you, Amethyst One.”

Arm outstretched, he holds his hand above my food basket. I watch in fascination as his scales begin to shift in hue as they change colors until they match the dried berries and remainders of meat.

“That’s brilliant…”

Ein claps him on the back proudly.

“We practiced every day after we moved to this den. He’s a natural...just like his parents were.”

The young one looks shyly at his feet as the scales on his clawed hands return to their normal shade.

“Thank you.”

With food in my belly and warm blankets tucked over me, I can feel a languorous drowsiness overtaking me.

“Please rest, Amethyst One. You have had a very trying day. You may sleep easy knowing that the Lost One’s will be here protecting you.”

Frau claps her hands together and the others begin to disperse and Katia gathers up the basket with the remains of my dinner.

“Sleep well, Lady Moon.”

My eyes grow heavier and I curl myself into a ball, nestling my nose amid my seven tails.

I’m what should be an upstairs parlor in my house, but it’s been turned into a nursery. In front of me is an antique wooden crib of ebony wood. Peering down, I see a set of twins fast asleep and holding each other's hands even in slumber.

“Tatsuo...Tatsuya…”

Unbidden their names fall from my lips as I reach down to tuck a dark violet strand of hair, the same shade as my own, away from the right childs soft cheek. I almost want to cry with happiness at the sight of them.

“Here you are. I’ve been looking all over for you, and I should have known you’d be watching the little scamps sleeping again. At least this way they are behaving.”

I turn with a gasp as I hear the voice coming from the doorway.

Leaning back against the wooden frame is the man from the limousine. His snowy hair is restrained at the nape of his neck and he looks very comfortable as though he’s been standing there for some time without me noticing.

“Who...are you?”

A frown creases his brows as he walks over to stand before me. Reaching up he places his broad warm palm upon my forehead.

“Mi Tiefal...Moon, it’s me Hikaru. I’m your husband...the one who is yours alone. Are you okay?”

Words desert me as I stare up into his eyes, watching them turn from glacier blue-grey to a shade of soft lavender. I look from him to where the twins lie in the crib, elegant tiny nubbins of horns curving back from their temples.

“Are these my children?”

“Of course these are our children.”

He gathers me close and I can feel the warmth of the hard planes of his chest seeping into my body.

“Come and lay down with me, my love. You are not acting like yourself.”

His hands stroke the small of my back and I let my eyes close, losing myself in the sensation. I feel like I am truly home, anchored in a way that resonates with how adrift I really am in this world that is not my own.

“I will always find you. You complete me as nothing else ever can.”

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..