Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,394 Words
  • 337 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 1. Chapter 1

Free floating in the bright aether void, I feel so very at peace with the world. All my worries, all my cares, and thoughts evaporating away into sweet nothings, I let my heavy eyelids fall shut as a toothy vulpine grin reveals my sharp fangs. Any annoying mental alarms surcease to be under the lulling effect of the...wherever I was.

‘Feeling sleepy, Poppet?’

“Hmm...?”

The void vibrates with the rumbling of laughter before the amorphous male voice continues, my fur ruffling by the sensation of being petted by a phantom hand.

‘You will not recall any of this, Daughter, but I will allow myself this bit of selfishness nonetheless.’

“I’m not sleeping…”

More chuckles ensued.

‘Of course not...perish the thought…’

This time a heavy sigh invaded my sedate bubble of warmth, inundating it with an immeasurable sense of melancholy.

‘Hana, bless her soul, she’d kill me if she knew what I was doing....’

“Mother…”

A very long time passed before the voice came again, completely avoiding the previous vein of conversation...not that I was currently lucid enough to notice.

‘The path I’ve put you upon is no easy one. Daddy is ashamed to say he’s setting the fates of worlds upon your small shoulders. Would that I could carry this burden myself, gods know I have no right to ask it of you, Daughter. Please trust in me...please. Though you won't know the ‘how’ or ‘why’ I know that you have a brilliant mind and a stalwart heart, and that you are key to things unfolding as they ought to. At least it is not something you must bear alone. Your fated one awaits you...all you need to do is follow your heart. I love you, Moon, I have always watched over you from afar. The only balm to being out of your life was the knowledge that Hana would love you enough for us both. When you wake...I’ll be no more than a spectre locked away inside you. Carry my love with you always, Poppet.’

Tucking my kitsune nose amid the soft fur of seven violet tails, I let myself become lost to the languorous warmth.

“I love you too, Daddy.”

The words were whispered softly like a drowsy child dozing off for a nap.

Cradled in the embrace of the ethereal, I let go of everything. Little bits and pieces of ‘Me’ shattering and breaking, becoming one with the void. I could feel no pain, I felt nothing at all.

Sayonara.

Trilling birdsong chirping happily above my head prodded me to wake. Someone’s nose was pushing insistently against the soft fur of my belly. Growling a low warning as I curled my violet tails closer to my body, I studiously ignored the other kitsune.

Without having to open my eyes, I could recognize Kemuri anywhere. Not only was he my close kin, but the air around him was ever permeated with the scent of smoke.

Impudent kit.

The sun was warm upon my velvety fur and the birdsong was lulling me back to sleep. All had to be well with the world...right?

“Go away.”

I was reluctant to relinquish the cozy embrace that lingered, as though in fear that it would be gone forever once let go.

Nipping teeth bit my shoulder.

“We are in unfamiliar territory, Moon, and it’s hardly the time to be letting your guard down. How have you made it to such an advanced age with those kinds of habits?”

Violet eyes flying open in indignation, I zero in on the shadow looming over me. Snapping viciously at the grey ruff of Kemuri’s neck, and yipping menacingly when he dancs back out of reach.

“Good thing I’m quick on my feet…”

“I’ll show you old.”

“It got you up though.”

“I was having the most pleasant dream...about something. Now I can’t remember it.”

Making a show of baring my teeth I yawn wide, my paws stretching out to furrow through the soft strangely hued grass beneath me. Above me a sky the soft pink hue of blooming cherry blossoms unfurls towards forever, two round silvery moons hang heavy and glowing in stark contrast to the blazing white star tracking a path through the heavens.

“What...where…”

“I told you now was not the time to nap.”

Black tipped violet ears droop to lie flat against my skull with dismay. Definitely should have stayed asleep…

Kemuri sits down beside me, his two smoky hued tails tipped in black wrapping around me comfortingly. His grey eyes stared up at the sky, assessing for a moment before continuing.

“I’ll be honest with you, Cuz. I have no idea where we are...or how we got here. I haven’t seen you in almost a year now...not since we visited the graves together. When I came to...you were out cold beside me.”

In kitsune form he still bore a striking resemblance to his human guise. A leather collar encircled his neck, tight and form fitting with shining steel rings and spikes. Platinum and black ombre hair he left long on one side was pulled back out of the way into a ponytail. The piercings in his brow, ears, and lips shone with an eerie pink glow under the alien sky. Ashen eyes met her own violet ones.

“Even though you snore adorably and kick your paws when you’re asleep.”

“Liar.”

I had borne witness to many things in my very very long life, but this was definitely pushing the envelope a bit. The world around me was awash in vibrant shades that were both familiar and alien all at once. The leaves dancing above my head were neon green against the blushing pink skyline, fluttering cheerily in the gentle breeze.

“Experience tells me that we probably shouldn’t linger here. However it is we did get here...you can bet our presence has not gone unnoticed. If you’re able we should get moving.”

In the distance I could see puffy lavender clouds floating high above a glimmering cityscape. Even from this distance, I could see the reflections of light on glass panes shining back.

“There’s a city in that direction, but do you think it’s safe though?”

Kemuri cocked his head to one side, his ears perking up as he deliberated the answer in his mind.

“ “Safe'' is probably a very relative term at the moment, but you’re right.”

His grey eyes locked with mine.

“Now don’t try and bite me...again. I concede that you are indeed old and powerful, but I’m the murder for hire. Maybe I should take the lead until we find out where...when the hell we are?”

The way his voice ended in a yip of questioning amused me far more than it should have and I couldn’t help flashing him a fanged smile. Everything he said was true. In all honesty, Kemuri was much better suited to take the lead.

“Impudent kit…I agree.”

His jaw slackened and fell in shock, obviously working up the steam to let loose a heated counter argument. He’d been expecting me to shoot him down outright...he’d I was wise too, though.

“Are you sure? You’ll do as I say?”

“Do you really think I would disregard your sound advice?”

The look Kemuri gave me made me snap out at him with a vicious nip.

“See?”

“Just tell me what you have in mind.”

“The pretty pretty princess sky and two moons is the first sign that we are far from home.”

“I should have never forced you to play that game…”

“AND until we can establish the dominant life form of this place, I think it’s safer if we maintain our vulpine forms. Who knows what kind of attention our humanoid selves might draw.”

Pushing myself to stand, one paw batted absently at the softly glowing bioluminescent blades of green grass that tickled my feet. All seven of my violet tails were veritably twitching with an unusual amount of nervous energy. Was it just the shock of the situation as a whole? Something felt off...even apart from everything else.

“Well?”

“Hmmm?”

“Kitsune form….stop looking at the pretty colors and c’mon.”

He nipped playfully at my haunch, steering me towards the skyline in the distance.

I’m sure if it’s important enough it will come back to me.

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..