Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,867 Words
  • 198 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 12. Chapter 12

Uncaring of who I push aside, I fight my way to the bronze door handle and spill out into the rear gardens.

Releasing any hold on my human form I bound from two legs to four, scooting back I shut the door behind me. Moving into the shadows, I dart around the corner of the redstone house. A part of my mind remembers why I came here in the first place and I do a quick overview of my surroundings and make note of any other entrances, exits, or windows.

The thud of very determined footsteps sounds behind me, and I can feel the crackle of his approach on my senses. Pausing for the barest of moments I look over my shoulder to see Hikaru striding around the corner of the house, his eyes gleaming with a predatory glow in the darkness.

“You think to play me for a fool, little fox.”

As his eyes find me in the shadows, I can see the dots connecting in his head.

“It’s you...the meat pie thief.”

“I did say I was sorry. A girl gets hungry.”

His face is confused, unsure of what to make of me or what to do...and this quickly becomes irritation.

“Who are you? I demand you tell me. You used me to gain entry into a private affair, used me to make a clean getaway, and stood me up on the dancefloor. If you have any inkling of who The Dragon is around here then you are very brave or very stupid. An explanation, little fox.”

He’s stopped at the corner of the house, daring not a step further as I could easily turn and make good on my escape.

“Truthfully? I know nothing of you other than you have a fine face and car to match. Would you believe me if I said we met in a dream? That the fates whispered to me your name?”

One quiet step he steals in my direction, like he’s cornering a wild creature to eat. Reflexively I jump back, my haunches wound up to flee.

“No, please wait.”

I’m struck into stillness. This is not a man who pleads to have his bidding done. He’s humbling himself before me alone out here beneath the blood sky and the stars.

“I really don’t know you...I’m sorry. As you’ve guessed I’ve only been on this world a handful of days, Dragon. I’m sorry for all the inconvenience. I assume you must be something of ‘a big deal’?”

Another cautious step.

“You need to be more careful of where you tread in this city, little fox. It will not go unnoticed causing a stir.”

“Oh? Then I suppose I should...disappear.”

Turning I rocket away, body low to the ground as I sprint for all I’m worth to the end of the gravel drive. There’s no way that he will catch up to me now. My body is becoming used to navigating the streets of Gatsby and I make short work of returning to the outer limits of the city near the myriad factories and low cost housing.

“You gotta be kidding me…”

The familiar voice slows me in my steps, it’s the same as the grey neko who was being roughed over outside of the factory.

“It’s been confirmed. The arrival of the shipment has been advanced by twelve hours and will be received at noon. There is zero doubt of the veracity of this info.”

“Gods damn it. Thanks for letting me know. Here’s the fee, now I have to make some calls.”

“I’ll contact you through the usual channels.”

Nelson exits from an alley ahead of me and I hurriedly duck aside into a deep patch of shadows. I certainly don’t want him to recognize me.

He pauses just ahead of me on the sidewalk and pulls what appears to be a handheld bit of crystal from his pocket and drags a paw pad over the smooth surface. After pushing at the screen he holds it up to his ear and after a moment I hear him speaking in low harried tones.

“I need you to meet me at the spot. Yeah, now. I don’t care who you’re fucking this is from the top. Fine. In fifteen minutes then.”

Hanging up he replaces the device into his pocket before producing a cigarette. As though the very world is weighing on his shoulders he heaves the smoke into his lungs before exhaling a heavy cloud that reflects the inner stresses of his soul.

“Should have just let the fucking bunny end me.”

Turning on his heel he finally strides away down the sidewalk, fuzzy chin tucked low against his chest. When I’m sure that he’s gone, I chance upon emerging from the shadows. It doesn’t sit well with me knowing as much as I do about whatever it is that’s going on in the seedy underbelly of this place but there’s no helping it now. I have my own plans to attend to so there is no use in dwelling on this poor guy’s life choices.

Trotting my way out of the city I return once more towards the kobold’s den. I imagine it must be sometime during the dead of night, when else would so many unhinged instances come to pass.

Shrinking myself to fit comfortably into the entrance, I am careful to keep my steps quiet so as not to disturb the rest of my precious disciples. With any luck they would all be still fast asleep and I could take the opportunity to further formulate my budding idea.

It would take some convincing, but I had the distinct feeling that the Lost Ones could be made to see things my way. The witchlights are still dimmed within the central cavern, but I see that Ein is pacing just outside. At my padded footfalls his head snaps up before visibly relaxing upon realizing it’s me.

“Lady Moon.”

“Are you well, Ein?”

The brightest of the males, his anole scales shine as fluorescent green as the neon trees above. He gives me a distracted nod.

“How did your trip into the city fare?”

He’s very intelligent to have surmised where I’d gone off to so accurately. No wonder he seemed to hold the role of alpha male in guidance of the others.

“It was quite the experience and I have something that I would like to propose, but I would rather wait until everyone is awake.”

“Of course,” there is a brief pause before he finds his words, “I don’t suppose there was any sign of Laika?”

I shake my head in disappointment.

“I can see that the Lost Ones are a resilient and intelligent lot, so I still hold hope that he’s holding his own somewhere. Perhaps, once my idea is discussed with everyone we’ll be able to uncover a clue.”

“I pray so, My Lady. The twins are worrying me. They have been whispering among themselves and I have a bad feeling that they are up to something.”

“They are obviously worried for their friend. Let’s go in and get some more rest. I will make my plans clear in the morning and perhaps there is a way that they can both be of help to me and themselves.”

Together we head into the communal area where the rest still slumber. When I sleep this time I am not beset by visions of his face or any others but the strains of a waltz play in my mind.

Awakening to witchlights burning bright, I open my eyes to see the kobolds stretching and rolling up their various bedding to store against a wall as they go about their day.

“Good morning...it is morning isn’t it?”

“Good morning, Amethyst One. Yes, the White Dragon is rising above us. If you would care to join us, we’re making a special trip into the forest. Ein says you would like to speak with us about a matter. Perhaps while we are out? There are certain herbs that are best gathered in the early hours.”

“That would be fine.”

I watch in fascination as they excitedly disperse empty woven baskets among themselves from the storage room. Waiting patiently till they are all equipped and ready, we head out into the earthen tunnel and make our way outside.

Frau was not kidding when she said the hour was early yet, as I look up I notice that the sky is still the color of a blood orange. Ein and Frau take the lead, followed by Liebli and Baba flanking Katia on both sides. Gustav and Gunter take up the tail end of the group, their eyes watching the surroundings with care.

Katia breaks free of the twins to move closer to me, “We are gathering Misado leaves. You’ll be able to recognize them because they are nearly the same shade as me. They’re excellent for fighting off some breathing problems and they make an energy and nutrient rich snack in a pinch. The trick is you have to gather them at dawn's light while they are still laden with dew, otherwise they will become green and become impossible to distinguish until the morning comes again.”

We head deeper into the woods, and it is my first time going in the opposite direction of Gatsby. Above me the crowns of the trees intermingle in a riot of pinks, blues, and purples. Heavy laden with dew, their branches hang down to shower damp pedals upon our heads in the morning breeze.

Somewhere ahead of us I can hear a river rushing by and I assume we are making our way towards it. The kobolds talk amongst themselves and it’s a very idyllic scene.

“See these blue flowering trees, My Lady? They are called Silken Katias and they are what my mother named me for.”

The azure kobold chirps beside me as she points up at the boughs.

“The ones that match your fur are Omore trees and the flowers are toxic but the fruit is a delicious treat and makes a strong wine.”

I let myself become lost in her observations as she excitedly shows me one thing after another, giving name and life to these strange bits of this alien world.

“This way, Lady Moon,” her tail perks to the sky with excitement as she rushes ahead of me, “These are what we have come for.”

Closer to the river now, I see what resembles laurels except for the leaves are a pearlescent blue that fairly shines in the growing morning light. If not for their brilliant color, they’d be indistinguishable from the rest of the overgrowth choking the river banks.

With an air of practiced unity they spread out with their baskets, pulling a bundle of the leaves away from the remaining plants they scythe through the base of the stalks with a sharp claw. Arranging the sheafs into neat stacks they fill their baskets one by one. Sure enough as the sun rises higher in the sky, slivering veins of green appear in the leaves to creep ever outward from the stem until finally becoming indistinguishable from the rest of the greenery.

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..