Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,482 Words
  • 337 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 28. Chapter 28

While the men are securing the covering, Doctor Honore walks up to Hikaru and myself.

“We are going to head back to the Center where I am going to process and perform a more thorough examination. Once I have concluded my findings, I will send a copy over to you and then file an official autopsy report with the Board. For now I think it best if you get your wife home and let her relax a little. I have a feeling that this is only the beginning of more to come.”

Hikaru clasps the doctor’s hand in his, giving him a firm shake.

“Thank you for making yourself available for this. I know you have a lot on your plate as it is. Just send a word if you need anything on my end.”

“Will do.”

Turning on his heel, he walks back to the cab of the truck where Clay is holding the door open for him to clamber up. From the back Lorenzo gives the top a good bang to signal that they are secure and ready to move out.

“We should head back home. Perhaps Frau is awake, and I’m sure she would be happy to see a friendly familiar face.”

Genghis is holding open the door of the sedan, and I jump up to curl up on the plush seat while Hikaru settles in beside me.

“Doctor Honore mentioned a Board… Is there a government in this city? From what I gathered, I thought it was a lawless place. You are most definitely feared enough. I was definitely under the impression that it is self running.”

“From what you have witnessed so far, that is an understandable impression. If you like I can give you a bit of a history lesson for your new home. It may make things a little easier to understand.”

Idly I nod, watching Genghis circle the car so that he can slide into the driver’s seat and start the sedan.

“Gatsby originally started out as a base for trade by the Mirin, whom I’m certain you have seen about town. They are the four armed peoples with a whole slew of skin tones?”

Again I nod.

“They hail from a port city to the east of the same name, and while a bit war-torn it remains a bustling trade hub. Mirin numbers were decimated many years back after the War of the Wastes and a call to arms with an old ally across the Shirar Sea. From what I heard, they were betrayed by the Eldebarians and the majority of their men met a bloody end on foreign soil. In order to save themselves, they all but abandoned the port city to travel west where they formed Gatsby as an outpost. The Industrial part of the city was established to recoup their losses and quickly grew into a commercial hub.”

Listening in rapt fascination, I can see the aforementioned smokestacks looming just ahead of us as we once more approach the city.

“For a time they were able to settle peacefully and what began as a humble trade post began to attract attention from several smaller towns. Over the years it grew quickly into something with more resemblance to what we see now.”

“So the Mirin are actually in charge of Gatsby?”

“It’s not quite as simple as that… After the tragedy of the port of Mirin, they were loath to put themselves in the position of self-governance even though they were largely responsible for founding Gatsby. Instead they formed a municipality based on their largest trade allies.”

“When I let Kemuri talk me into coming into the city the other day, bystanders at that crime scene made the comment of how they seldom see the Sentinels out anymore… which I took to be for show anyhow since the psycho rabbit, excuse me ‘Lapina’ was standing right off to the side admiring his work.”

Hikaru’s mouth sets in a grim line before giving an answer.

“They weren’t wrong, and I would rather you stay out of the path of Cog in future. Psychotic he may be, but he is also a power to be reckoned with and it is not an easy feat to go against him without serious repercussions.”

“Something about him is familiar to me… but I cannot place it. It is a most disturbing feeling, especially based on the things I know.”

“Unfortunately the things you know have placed a giant target on you, and under no circumstances do I want you anywhere near him.”

“I don’t know what kind of Board Doctor Honore plans to report to or how any of this will gain any sense of justice if a cannibalistic murderer is free to simply go about his business as usual.”

A heavy sigh falls from his lips as he pulls me closer to his side.

“It is a very complicated web that we are tiptoeing through, but trust me that I will do my best to see things come out as they ought to. As you said, I am powerful in my own right… Trust me that I am thinking forward in order to preclude any pitfalls that may arise to swallow our efforts, Mi Tiefal.”

His fingers absently scratching behind my vulpine ears feels heavenly and I feel my eyes drifting shut as I lean against his side.

“Rest yourself until we reach home. You truly have had a long day. Later I will elaborate more on the inner workings of this place.”

“Mmhmm…”

The stop and go of the car pacing its way through traffic coupled with the divine work of his fingertips in my fur lulls me into a state of zen. He is correct in that I feel exhausted in so many ways, and these moments of unguarded vulnerability drive home the rockslide of emotions that I have muddled through today alone.

“I love you, Moon.”

Hikaru’s words are hushed and reverent, meant for my ears alone. I realize wholeheartedly that he trusts Genghis implicitly, but this feels different. Warmth blooms in my chest as though it is coming directly from this ephemeral connection that we share.

“I know that it doesn’t exactly make sense, but every fiber of my being screams that it is so. From the moment I was born… on Earth, even before being transported here, I have felt this emptiness in my soul. I know I have already alluded as much, but I feel this uncontainable need to tell you with words, body, deed, and every other way possible. Even after coming here, it did not cease. Throwing myself into attempting to figure out why I was transported to this place and carving out a life gave me something to do, but it did not fill the deep chasm I carry inside me. You are what is missing. I meant that with the entirety of my being and I will spend as many lifetimes as it takes to impress its truth upon you.”

“You don’t have to go to such lengths, Hikaru. Despite ‘kidnapping’ me… you have gone above and beyond to shower me with affection. You are not alone in this feeling of being complete. The dreams… they feel all too real to me, and even if my sanity wants to claim that they I have no memory of them happening, they feel RIGHT to me nonetheless.”

My violet eyes gaze up at him in adoration.

“We will figure out things together. No matter how many lifetimes it takes, as you said.”

There is a nameless deep emotion that fills his pale lavender eyes, a vulnerability that is altogether incongruous with the primal magic that courses through his veins. I refuse to be a weakness for this man, and I resolve deep within my heart that I will become stronger in whatever ways I must to be worthy of the unconditional affection that he graces me with.

Placing a tender kiss upon my brow, he makes a visible effort of shifting back into some semblance of The Dragon.

“Home is just up the street, so not far to go now. When we arrive I will touch base with my informants and see what new intel has made it back while we were away. Check in on Frau and Ein and let them know what is going on. I’m sure they will be glad to know that their friends are being suitably honored. Once Doctor Honore has concluded things on his end, I will have a place of reflection erected in the orchard. If they have any input of proper kobold internment, please let me know so that they can be buried in the customs of their kind.”

“Thank you again. I know that you didn’t have to…”

“No, Moon. There isn’t any need to thank me for this. It is something that deserves… needs doing.”

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..