Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 416 Words
  • 1,110 Views
  • 12 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

April Musings - 3. NaPoWriMo 2016 - Week One

Poem #1:

April Fools

Gray skies menace

green shoots clawing like zombie fingers

through thawing earth.

White flakes attempt to impede their progress –

not succeeding as the laughing tendrils

reach for the hidden sun.

 

Poem #2:

Three Reasons for Eating Ice Cream in Winter

Cold headache, hot shower.

Creamy sweetness melting over hot apples in a flaky nest.

Blanketed by the fireplace like hot fudge cascading over vanilla mountains.

 

Poem #3:

Sleep-addled brain struggles to find

the difference between dream and reality.

Cocooned by blankets and cats,

It’s too comfortable to leave the snuggly warmth.

Coffee would help, but is prohibited.

Damn doctors.

There is only one thing motivating enough

to provoke movement on this cold, snowy

Sunday.

Ah…

Sweet relief.

 

Poem #4:

I don’t want this giant black dog

Chained to me, guarding my emotions,

Keeping others at arm’s length.

I want to celebrate life.

 

As if I were free from pain.

Free from Thomas’ affliction.

 

As if warmth and light radiated from within.

 

As if laughter were an every-day occurrence.

 

I don’t want to remain a prisoner of depression.

I want to live uncaged, happy,

And human.

 

As if walking on feet instead of eggshells.

 

As if breathing was not something to be reminded to do.

 

As if anxiety were not a tangible thing, hiding around every corner.

 

I don't want to feed these beasts when they beg for sustenance.

I want the dark night of my soul to end in light.

 

As if I was worthy of ascension.

 

Poem #5:

Bent fingers, knotted and wrinkled,

Caress the worn oak.

The passage of time is marked the same

On both visages –

Crevices and lines not there when new.

The wrinkles fade as the woman that is

remembers the girl that was.

The same smile graces both their faces

Until obscured by falling drops

On black and white memories.

The shadow on the wall chases kittens and puppies,

And boys, and children, before merging with the

Stooped form rummaging through

Hand-sewn quilts patched with long-forgotten

Fabrics worn by people

The next generation will only meet through

Tattered photos and diary entries.

Finding the sought treasure, she clutches it to her chest

Before rising and shuffling to the next room,

Hand in hand with the shadow-girl,

Ready to let go.

 

Poem #6:

Narcissist

Beauty reflected by mirrored water

conceals the monster within.

 

 

 

 

I've successfully completed week one of NaPoWriMo! Please leave a review and let me know how you like my attempts at poetry. A huge thank-you to AC Benus for reviewing my poems daily and giving me suggestions for improving them. You're the best! :hug:
Copyright © 2017 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice Val. A lot of variety from what i think is your struggle with the black pit that depression is (my real hope is that you're just an observer), to and old lady's rememberances and life without coffee on a Sunday morning.
I think you've done a good job!!
tim

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2016 06:09 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice Val. A lot of variety from what i think is your struggle with the black pit that depression is (my real hope is that you're just an observer), to and old lady's rememberances and life without coffee on a Sunday morning.

I think you've done a good job!!

tim

Thanks, Tim. I'm glad you liked them. Unfortunately, that black dog is something I'm quite familiar with. Damn thing likes to hang around a little too much sometimes. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review :hug:

Link to comment

A little of everything. I love to eat ice cream in winter, with hot cherries. Number five was very emotional. And the last one was kinda creepy in a Dorian Grey way. Don't you get sick again, what we would miss! On to next week.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2016 07:32 AM, aditus said:

A little of everything. I love to eat ice cream in winter, with hot cherries. Number five was very emotional. And the last one was kinda creepy in a Dorian Grey way. Don't you get sick again, what we would miss! On to next week.

You made my day with the Dorian Gray reference. :) I was torn between naming the poem after Narcissus or Dorian Gray, but went the Narcissus route. I love ice cream any time. My friends think I'm nuts ;) lol Thanks for the review, Addy. I'm glad you liked them. :) Fingers crossed on not getting sick this year. ;)

Link to comment

Great job, Val... I'm a little under the weather... so I'll just say, some deep and potent stuff here that grabbed me... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2016 10:13 AM, Headstall said:

Great job, Val... I'm a little under the weather... so I'll just say, some deep and potent stuff here that grabbed me... cheers... Gary....

I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for the review :)

Link to comment

I like No. 1, for I suppose the living-dead analogy fits bulbs that have spent winter in the ground. No. 4 is very personal and impactful; I've puzzled pleasantly over 'Thomas' affliction,' so please don’t tell me exactly what you mean. :) No. 5 is also strong, but sad as well.

 

Can't wait to see what's in my in-box next! Good job, Val.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2016 10:52 AM, AC Benus said:

I like No. 1, for I suppose the living-dead analogy fits bulbs that have spent winter in the ground. No. 4 is very personal and impactful; I've puzzled pleasantly over 'Thomas' affliction,' so please don’t tell me exactly what you mean. :) No. 5 is also strong, but sad as well.

 

Can't wait to see what's in my in-box next! Good job, Val.

I really appreciate your support and insight. If you want a hint about Thomas' affliction, just let me know. ;) I needed the tissue box handy when I wrote #5. I'm still working on today's poem. It's giving me a little bit of trouble. Thanks for the review! :hug:

Link to comment

Dear Val, these are powerful, emotive and wonderfully written. Your #4 is both compelling and heartbreaking. And the image of being cocooned by blankets and cats is a picture of comfort and warmth, as detailed as any photo. And Zombie fingers! What awesome images, all of them.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/08/2016 12:53 PM, Parker Owens said:

Dear Val, these are powerful, emotive and wonderfully written. Your #4 is both compelling and heartbreaking. And the image of being cocooned by blankets and cats is a picture of comfort and warmth, as detailed as any photo. And Zombie fingers! What awesome images, all of them.

Thanks so much :) I appreciate the review. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/11/2016 02:50 AM, Dolores Esteban said:

# 5 is very good!

Thanks so much :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..