Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 642 Words
  • 802 Views
  • 10 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

April Musings - 12. NaPoWriMo 2017 Week Two

Day 7

Prompt: Warning Poem - Let your poem imply a story through the narrator’s warning to another character.

 

Regret is a bitter pill to swallow, my dear.

Don’t let it consume you like an insidious disease.

Throw it out like the trash it is

Or, even better, burn it into oblivion.

Heed Dylan Thomas’ words and

Rage against the dying of the light.

When the circle closes and it’s your time to lie here,

Speak with pride about a life well-lived.

Run into open arms.

Write the Great American Novel – even if it’s only great to you.

Take the trip you’ve been putting off.

Tell those you love how you feel, even if those feelings aren’t returned.

It’s not too late to create your legacy, like it is for me.

 

 

Day 8

Another ‘warning’ poem. A bit lighter, this time. Dedicated to Mr. N. We tried our best… honest!

 

The next time you hooligans decide to

Wear your cleats while running through my yard,

I’ll turn the hose on you!

Maybe that will get the message across

Since your parents don’t care to.

It’s taken a lifetime to reach the perfect shade of green

And the right thickness—like a cushion for aching feet.

I don’t mind the extra money for the summer water bill.

The freshly-mown smell and diagonal pattern makes my

Weary heart happy.

Each chunk you rend like a predator consuming its prey

Takes a piece of my soul.

And don’t think I’m oblivious to the looks and comments, either.

I may be old, but I’m not deaf or senile.

If the hose doesn’t work, I have less pleasant ways to make my point.

So heed my words,

Damn kids.

 

 

Day 9

The prompt is to form a list of your mistakes so that it somehow becomes a poem.

 

List of Mistakes

1. William – We should have spent our lives together, but I was too stupid to realize it.

2. Richard – My virginity was a game that I lost.

3. Rodd – Not so much a mistake as convenient.

4. Javier – Desperation that led to heeding bad advice.

5. Peter – Life made sense for the first time, until my world shattered.

6. Being single – Either a mistake or a blessing, depending on the day.

 

 

Day 10

Prompt: Tell the story of one of your own scars or a scar on someone you love.

 

Wipeout

Self-propelled wheels fly over concrete,

As streaming hair tries to keep pace.

Freedom screams triumphant from within.

Concrete changes to gravel,

But legs continue to pedal

Faster and faster forward,

Then slam backward,

Causing tires to tilt

Precariously sideways,

Landing horizontally

in a spray of gravel

Now embedded in flesh.

Nurse Ratched’s vice-like grip

Is oblivious to writhing and screams

As the gravel is removed.

 

 

Day 11

Prompt: Write an Antidote poem, a lifebuoy for yourself that could work for others. A poetic antidote might be a prayer, a spell, a flood of gratitude, or a joke.

 

I am grateful for

Shrouded yellow eyes

And black velvet purrs.

Curled together contentedly,

You’re always within reach.

 

 

Day 12

Prompt: Write a full moon poem with a Buddhist feel — an Asian clarity, simplicity, and depth.

 

Lunar

Hypnagogic eye

silent sentinel

guarding a realm

where the absurd

is accepted.

 

 

Day 13

Headline poem. The exercise is to cut out headlines/words from newspapers or magazines and arrange them on paper to form a poem. I’ll also post a pic in the Gallery so you can see the visual form of my headline poem.

 

 

From behind my umbrella,

Who knows how many handsome strangers

I’ll bump into,

Fall back in love with.

Start fresh.

Adventures ahead

Will change everything.

Thank you again to Aditus and Parker Owens for their invaluable help.  My poems are so much better due to your input. :) Thanks to all for reading.  I appreciate any comments or likes. :) It's hard to believe that we're almost at the halfway point for NaPoWriMo! 
Copyright © 2017 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My hat is off to you, Val! These are wonderful. I am especially taken by the warning poem from Mr. N; it channels a grumpy old man perfectly. Your headline poem sounded so good, I envy you for its simplicity and directness. Your antidote poem made me smile, for I know precisely of that kind of comfort. Wipeout made me cringe and shudder and smile. Your list of mistakes made me wince, though. The first warning poem has a valedictory feel, and could be read at graduations, I think. All wonderful responses to the challenge!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
10 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

My hat is off to you, Val! These are wonderful. I am especially taken by the warning poem from Mr. N; it channels a grumpy old man perfectly. Your headline poem sounded so good, I envy you for its simplicity and directness. Your antidote poem made me smile, for I know precisely of that kind of comfort. Wipeout made me cringe and shudder and smile. Your list of mistakes made me wince, though. The first warning poem has a valedictory feel, and could be read at graduations, I think. All wonderful responses to the challenge!

Thanks so much, Parker :hug:  I'm glad you liked Mr. N's poem.  I find myself channeling him sometimes when the neighbor kids run across my lawn... :unsure:  Does that mean I'm getting old?  LOL  Hmm... your thoughts on the first warning poem are interesting.  I never would have considered it as valedictory, but I can see it.  Thanks for your thoughts and your input.  I posted a pic of the headline poem in the Gallery.  I cut all the headlines out of a food magazine. lol  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Day seven made me check and re-do my list, day 8 made me grin, day nine and I want to hug you, day ten *cringe*, been there, done that, day eleven: so true, day 12: I learned a new word!, day thirteen: just perfect

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, aditus said:

Day seven made me check and re-do my list, day 8 made me grin, day nine and I want to hug you, day ten *cringe*, been there, done that, day eleven: so true, day 12: I learned a new word!, day thirteen: just perfect

Thanks so much, Addy :hug:  Your input was invaluable :kiss: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Each poem was wonderful, Val. I was drawn in by the first 'warning' poem and laughed at the second... it was terrific. List of Mistakes... wow... and the bicycle crash... ouch. Well done... very well done! Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Each poem was wonderful, Val. I was drawn in by the first 'warning' poem and laughed at the second... it was terrific. List of Mistakes... wow... and the bicycle crash... ouch. Well done... very well done! Cheers... Gary....

Thanks so much, Gary :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I like and am drawn to the feline conciseness of Day 11. But I'd have to say the images and sentiments contained within Day 10 attracts me the most. Skidding is a real danger in life.... Gravel can hurt worse than bullets.

 

Thanks for sharing your poems with us  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

I like and am drawn to the feline conciseness of Day 11. But I'd have to say the images and sentiments contained within Day 10 attracts me the most. Skidding is a real danger in life.... Gravel can hurt worse than bullets.

 

Thanks for sharing your poems with us  

Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)  The wipeout is a true story that happened when I was in elementary school.  I can still feel that damn Brillo pad the nurse used to scrub out the gravel pellets.  *shudder*  

Link to comment

All lovely, well written poems Val. I know Mr N well and judging from how I am when the kids play near my flower beds, I might turn out to be dome version of him. Lol.. Wipeout, I literally went 'Ouch'. Well done.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
9 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

All lovely, well written poems Val. I know Mr N well and judging from how I am when the kids play near my flower beds, I might turn out to be dome version of him. Lol.. Wipeout, I literally went 'Ouch'. Well done.  

Thanks :) I channel Mr. N fairly frequently when the neighbor kids decide they want to play baseball on my front lawn.  Play in your own damn yards!  lol  Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..