Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,337 Words
  • 1,938 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Christmas Confidential - 7. Dan and Safe Haven Rescue

Dan and Safe Haven Rescue

By Valkyrie

 

Voices carried down the barn aisle, but they meant nothing to the skinny bay horse. In the dim recesses of its memory, there was a voice it used to look forward to hearing, but that was a long time ago. Its head hung low, close to a pile full of fragrant, clean hay, but it had no appetite, despite being deprived of such sustenance for so long. The only thing keeping it on its feet was a sling hung from the rafters above the clean, sizeable stall. At least the voices here were kind, but the horse had experienced kindness before, only to go to a new place where the people were less so.

“Tell me about this place.”

“I founded Safe Haven Rescue ten years ago after seeing the suffering horses go through at auction. People dump their old and injured horses there instead of doing the kind thing and letting them go or getting them treatment. We try to save as many as possible and get them into good homes. We rehab the ones we can, and humanely end the suffering of those we can’t.”

“But they’re not all old and injured, right?”

“Unfortunately not, Mr. Murray. Sometimes they have behavior issues, or they’re racehorses who can no longer race. We get ponies that children have outgrown and the family no longer wants. It’s heartbreaking to see, but it’s equally as rewarding seeing a horse rehabilitated and adopted into a loving, caring home.”

“And you’ve been at this property the entire time?”

“Yes, but I don’t know how much longer we’ll be able to stay.”

They stopped in front of the old horse’s stall. A tall man with graying hair leaned his arms on top of the stall door.

“What do you mean? Why not?”

“Well, Mr. Murray—”

“Please, call me Gabe.”

“Well, Gabe, the man we lease the property from recently passed away, and his children have expressed interest in selling the place. I can’t afford to buy it, as much as I’d like to. I simply don’t make enough money. And the donations we get are just enough to keep things running and to buy a few horses every month at the auction. With the current state of affairs, donations have dropped off. So asking for the amount I’d need to buy… well, I can’t do that.”

“You’ve put a lot into this place.”

The man nodded. “Yeah. This place is my life. I’ve put so much into making this a full-service rescue for horses. We’ve got separate barns and pastures for quarantined horses, adoptable horses, and now we’ve got the ICU barn set up. We built this barn just last year for our worst cases so we can give them the best treatment possible. It’s got a heated vet room/office where we can spend the night if a horse needs round-the-clock care. All the stalls have a sling set-up like we’re using for this horse here, in case they’re too weak to stand on their own. Horses need to stand. Laying down too much damages their organs. Giving this all up… well, I just can’t imagine….” He stopped and wiped his eyes.

“Tell me about this horse.”

The man opened the stall door and stepped inside. Normally, horses flicked their ears or whickered or acknowledged him in some way. This horse kept its head down and ears still, even when the man gently patted its neck. “We picked this poor ol’ boy up at the auction just a few days ago. We don’t know much about him, other than he’s about twenty years old and has been neglected for a long time. He’s skinny, but usually horses perk up after being here for a few days and getting regular food and water. We’ve been giving him IV fluids, but he hasn’t shown any improvement since we got him. It’s like he’s given up. I’m not sure we’ll be able to do much more for him, unfortunately.”

Gabe stepped into the stall and stopped in front of the horse. “Is there any horse in particular that’s had an impact on your life?”

The man nodded, clenching his jaw. “When I was about ten, a neighbor had a mare give birth to a beautiful little foal. I was a horse-crazy little kid, and they were kind enough to take me under their wing and teach me about horses. That foal and I grew up together. They taught me how to break it to halter, and eventually to ride. We went all over the place, that horse and I—trail riding, horse shows… we did it all. Then, when Storm Cloud was seven and I was seventeen, the neighbors fell on hard times. They had no choice but to sell off their stock. Stormy was a purebred Morgan and worth a lot of money, especially since we had done so well in the show ring. My family barely scraped by, so there was no way we could afford any horse, let alone a purebred Morgan. I was heartbroken.”

He rubbed the bay horse’s neck and ran his hand along its back.

“Sounds like Stormy was a special horse.” Gabe smiled and petted the horse’s forehead.

“Yeah, he was. I still miss him.” He turned away from the horse. “There’s a lot more to show you. Let’s head to the adoptions barn next.”

“Dan, wait,” Gabe said softly.

Dan turned back toward Gabe and the bay horse. The animal stood, bearing its weight on its legs instead of the sling. It looked at Dan with bright eyes, head held high. Its nostrils flared as Dan held out his hand for the animal to sniff. The horse nickered softly and stamped its foot. “Well, would you look at that? A minute ago, he didn’t even know we were here!”

“Did Stormy have any distinguishing marks?”

“He had a scar on the top of his neck from when he cut it trying to get grass on the other side of the fence.” Dan looked at Gabe, disbelief crossing his features. “No… it can’t be….”

“Stormy was a bay gelding too, wasn’t he?”

“How did you know—”

Dan smoothed the mane away from the horse’s neck and gasped when he saw the jagged scar. “Stormy! Oh my God….” He threw his arms around the animal’s neck as he sobbed into the dark brown fur. Stormy nuzzled his head against Dan, bobbing his neck up and down.

“There’s one more thing, Dan. I hope you don’t mind a little deception on my part. I’m not here to adopt a horse; I’m with the local news station to deliver a gift from an anonymous benefactor. I have some good news for you.” He held out a small, wrapped box.

Dan sniffled and stepped slightly away from Stormy. “What’s this?”

“Open it.”

Dan took the box and pried off the lid, then removed a piece of paper. He smiled and wiped away his tears with the back of his hand. “Wow! This will really help. Thank you!”

“We’ve paid your feed bill for the next year. That should give you more money to save more horses. There’s one more thing.” Gabe handed Dan a plain, white envelope.

“Wow… I’m already blown away by your generosity.” He slid his finger along the edge of the envelope, opening it. He read the highlighted paragraph of a photocopied document. “What… I don’t understand.”

“It’s a copy of the portion of Mr. Blanchard’s last will and testament that affects you. He wanted your good work to continue, so left you the farm in his will. There’s no need for the rescue to relocate.”

Dan gasped and stood, opening and closing his mouth, at a complete loss for words. Stormy reached over and lipped the paper, then lowered his head to the pile and hay and began eating. Dan stroked the horse’s neck, then turned toward Gabe to thank him, but the man was gone.

Three more days to go!  Thank you all for the lovely comments.  It makes our day reading them.  :)
Copyright © 2020 Valkyrie, aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You did it again, you made me cry again. I knew it was going to lead to Gabe being able to give a solution to the sanctuary’s problems, because well that had been the pattern of all these short stories, but I didn’t expect the reunion part. It was so heartwarming and wonderful. 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
20 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Another great installment. I'm glad Dan got his horse back and to get the house for the horse sanctuary was perfect 

Thank you :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
20 hours ago, LilDaddy98 said:

Curses! You got my eyes showering themselves again. Imma need you to continue on with your bad self @Valkyrie.

:gikkle:  I'll do my best ;) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
17 hours ago, nix said:

You did it again, you made me cry again. I knew it was going to lead to Gabe being able to give a solution to the sanctuary’s problems, because well that had been the pattern of all these short stories, but I didn’t expect the reunion part. It was so heartwarming and wonderful. 

Thank you so much :hug:  I'm glad I was able to surprise you.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
16 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Are you sure you writers don't have a concession on Kleenex???

Damn... you're on to us!  :P  *passes a box of tissues*  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A guarantee to put a lump in a reader's throat is to write about rescue animals and their condition when they are brought to a shelter. Add to that a character reunited with a lost pet; double whammy! This is a touching story, and a perfect fit for your Christmas count down. Thanks. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Uhm, if the will stated the farm was left to Dan for the rescue why was the family trying to sell it? The Estate should have made him aware of his inheritance to do otherwise is malfeasance.  Anyway, another feel good ending. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, JeffreyL said:

A guarantee to put a lump in a reader's throat is to write about rescue animals and their condition when they are brought to a shelter. Add to that a character reunited with a lost pet; double whammy! This is a touching story, and a perfect fit for your Christmas count down. Thanks. 

I have a big soft spot for animals, in case you can't tell ;)  Thank you for reading and for the nice comment :hug:  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/22/2020 at 4:50 PM, dughlas said:

Uhm, if the will stated the farm was left to Dan for the rescue why was the family trying to sell it? The Estate should have made him aware of his inheritance to do otherwise is malfeasance.  Anyway, another feel good ending. 

Thank you :) Dan said the children were talking about selling, but there's no timeframe mentioned.  They may have assumed they were being left the property and were not aware their father actually left it to the rescue until the will was read.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, drsawzall said:

Are you sure you writers don't have a concession on Kleenex???

I may need those kleenex's cause my eyes are downpouring! I may start a trend of a river in my house before I can finish all these stories. 😭But they are happy tears!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
14 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

I may need those kleenex's cause my eyes are downpouring! I may start a trend of a river in my house before I can finish all these stories. 😭But they are happy tears!

There's plenty of Kleenex to go around :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 12/22/2020 at 1:59 AM, drsawzall said:

Are you sure you writers don't have a concession on Kleenex???

They have lots of shares in the company. 😂😂😉

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

You haven't made me cry... yet, but it's getting close, Gabe is the Guardian Angel that many dream of yet so few get to have or meet. I'm still loving these stories.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
9 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

You haven't made me cry... yet, but it's getting close, Gabe is the Guardian Angel that many dream of yet so few get to have or meet. I'm still loving these stories.

*stands by with a box of tissues *  :whistle:  I'm glad you like our stories :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..