Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,175 Words
  • 1,777 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Christmas Confidential - 9. Ladislaus and Annabella

Ladislaus and Annabella

Charlie skipped along the aisles of the small grocery shop, pushing a rattling cart with diapers and baby food, until she reached ‘the shelf’. Like every year, it was filled to the brim with toys. It was officially Christmas season now.

She loved all the colorful boxes and glittery foil, but what she really wanted to look at was the books. So many books, although not as many as in the book store near the mall. There was even one in the shape of a bear with a furry cover. When she squeezed it, it growled. She giggled. This would definitely go on the list for Santa. Next year. Olli would love it, although he would be almost two then. The book with the princess riding a huge brown horse and brandishing a spear looked interesting. For a long minute she went off into another world after imagining herself on the horse, hair waving in the wind. Next year. Mommy would get a new car from Santa this year. He didn’t have room on his sleigh for more gifts this Christmas.

She was about to turn away when she saw the doll sitting beside a brown teddy bear on the top shelf. Charlie didn’t play with dolls often, but Ollie would love the bear—next year.

The two reminded her of a poem by a guy with a funny name, James Krüss. Her teacher had read it to the class that day. Cocking her head to the side, she said, “I know who you are. You’re Annabella the doll and the bear Ladislaus.”

Two weeks later, Charlie was back. At first, she took another look at all the books. Then, because she needed a reason to come to the grocery store again and the bear and the doll looked so sad, she told them the story from the poem.

In the corner of a window of an out-of-the-way department store, sat Annabella the doll and a bear named Ladislaus. Annabella cried and Ladislaus growled sadly. Christmas Eve had come, and no one had bought them to make children happy.

“Poor bear!” sighed Annabella.

“Poor doll!” sobbed the bear.

Then the light was turned off in the empty, cold store, and only one light still shone in their little corner of the window. The security guard had left it on, out of pity. By now, the streets were deserted, and it had begun to snow. Ten o'clock stroked from the nearby clock tower, and both were almost asleep, when Annabella’s telephone rang loudly in the doll house.

“Hello!” the bear answered sleepily. “Who is calling?"

“It is Santa! I need a doll and a bear really quick!"

“Both are still available!” Ladislaus exclaimed immediately. “Come to the store behind the new mall! Hurry up, please!"

After Santa picked them up, it finally became dark in the window in the lower right corner of an out-of-the-way store behind the mall.

Thanks to the new winter tires, Gabe had no problem driving the sturdy, light blue car in the thickly falling snow. When he reached the small house with the colorful lights around the windows, he parked near the front door, right under the street lamp. He pocketed the key fob, pushed the door open, and unfolded his long form from the car and shuddered. After quickly buttoning his black pea coat, he pulled out his long silver-white pony tail from the collar and put on a bright red Santa hat. Next, he opened the trunk and grabbed the box sitting beside a brand-new nurse bag with a lot of storage space and all the bells and whistles.

Charlie’s mother worked as an ambulatory care nurse. She visited all the patients who couldn’t come to the clinic for after care, administering prescription medication and bloodwork. A few weeks ago, her old car had broken down, and all of a sudden, she was out of a job and her patients were without their nurse. Money was tight, since her husband Pietro had come down with leukemia a year ago, just two months after the birth of their second child. He was in a rehabilitation clinic at the moment, but with the ongoing pandemic, his family wasn’t allowed to visit him.

Gabe was looking forward to bringing joy and hope to the small family. He made his way to the bright blue door and rang the bell. After a moment, a tall blond woman wearing the ugliest Christmas sweater he’d ever seen greeted him. “Hi.” Her eyes looked tired, but she smiled when she noticed Gabe’s Santa hat. Putting the toddler she was holding on her other hip, she turned and said, “Look Ollie, Santa.”

“Santa?” came from somewhere in the house, and running feet could be heard. A girl with black pigtails came around the corner, her dark brown eyes wide open.

Gabe smiled. “My name is Gabe Murray. I come from the local news station.” When he saw their disappointment, he hurried to continue, “Are you Oksana Bianchi?” When she nodded he said, “I’m here on behalf of an anonymous benefactor. He became aware of your situation and decided to ease your burden.” With that he stepped aside so Oksana could see the car. He pulled the keys from his coat pocket and held them out. “It’s yours, together with this.” He handed over a white envelope. “In this you’ll find a card to pay for gas and maintenance at Joe’s auto shop for a year.”

“Oh my god! Is this real?” Oksana took the keys with a trembling hand.

“It is.” Gabe smiled, juggling the box in his hand. “Could we go inside so I can deliver the rest?”

“There’s more?” Oksana led him into their small kitchen.

“Just a little.” Gabe put the box on the table and opened it. He pulled out a familiar brown bear, who held a furry book in his paws, and immediately gave it to Ollie, who after brief hesitation, grabbed it with both hands and giggled happily.

Next, Gabe reached for a book with a fierce princess riding a horse on the cover and gave it to Charlie. When she opened it, out fell a card saying she could buy all the books she could read in the local bookstore for the next five years. Charlie sat down right on the kitchen floor and began reading and went off into a world where princesses fought mighty dragons.

When Oksana accompanied Gabe outside to check out the new car, her phone chirped with Pietro’s sound. She excused herself to look at the screen.

“Tesoro! The clinic has been chosen! Starting Monday, everyone who wants to and is healthy enough will be vaccinated against Covid 19. With luck we will kiss again in six weeks.”

Oksana looked up to tell Gabe the wonderful news, but the man was gone. She couldn’t even detect any footprints in the new snow. Only her car gleamed in the light of the street lamp. Cloud. She would name it Cloud.

 

Thank you for reading my little tale. Valkyrie will take over tomorrow with the last installment of our collection.
Happy Holidays ~Aditus
Copyright © 2020 Valkyrie, aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Books and kids, you can't do much better as far as I'm concerned! Must be the teacher (retired) in me. 😄 Add in a new car for a struggling Mom and a Covid vaccine for Dad, and you have yet another feel-good Christmas short! Thank you both for making this Christmas a little brighter! 😷🎅🧡🤶

Ha, couldn't hide the teacher apparently myself. :)  I'm happy our little stories could brighten your Christmas, Jeffrey!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, nix said:

I saw myself in Charlie. When I was young our family struggled financially, and my mom would always tell me “next time” whenever I see something I like from the toystore and the bookstore. I wasn’t a bratty kid, and I totally understood our situation so whenever my mom told me that we couldn’t afford the things I wanted to have,  I would simply nod and be fine with it. It’s sad, but it’s alright. Because of that experience I learned to be content, I learned to be happy with whatever blessing that came my way. I’m certain that Charlie would grow up with this mindset as well.

Thank you for this wonderful read, and Happy Holidays!

It means much to me that you could see yourself in Charlie, it tells me I got her right.

Thank you, nix! Happy Holidays. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 12/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, JeffreyL said:

Books and kids, you can't do much better as far as I'm concerned! Must be the teacher (retired) in me. 😄 Add in a new car for a struggling Mom and a Covid vaccine for Dad, and you have yet another feel-good Christmas short! Thank you both for making this Christmas a little brighter! 😷🎅🧡🤶

You took the words right out of my mouth about making this family's Christmas a little brighter!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I loved the story of the sad toys looking for people to play with.  What a delightful way of looking at it,  wonderful job.  Thanks so much Addy!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Cole Matthews said:

I loved the story of the sad toys looking for people to play with.  What a delightful way of looking at it,  wonderful job.  Thanks so much Addy!

Toys are meant to play with. ;)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 12/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, nix said:

I saw myself in Charlie. When I was young our family struggled financially, and my mom would always tell me “next time” whenever I see something I like from the toystore and the bookstore. I wasn’t a bratty kid, and I totally understood our situation so whenever my mom told me that we couldn’t afford the things I wanted to have,  I would simply nod and be fine with it. It’s sad, but it’s alright. Because of that experience I learned to be content, I learned to be happy with whatever blessing that came my way. I’m certain that Charlie would grow up with this mindset as well.

Thank you for this wonderful read, and Happy Holidays!

Thank you for sharing your story about your family 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'd call you evil for making me emotional, but I can't because I'm enjoying reading these wonderful stories, even if my eyes are getting wet.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..