Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,853 Words
  • 2,858 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Penguin's Christmas Gift - 1. Penguin's Christmas Gift

The little tuxedo cat swayed as his moving perch strode along the snowy ground. He swiveled an ear and sat up, his yellow eyes wide with attention. The faint noise was louder now. He launched into the air, coming to an abrupt halt as he met the end of the leash. He fishtailed wildly until he felt slack, then took off in the direction of the creek that ran through the park.

He heard shouting behind him, then the dull thud of footsteps running in fresh snow. He ran full out until he reached the top of the bank, then hesitated as he scanned for the safest way down. He found it and easily made his way down to the partially frozen water. He stopped underneath the pedestrian bridge and chirped a response to the plaintive cries that were now coming from right beside him.

He trotted out from under the bridge and sat on the bank, howling. He knew the humans weren’t far behind.

“Penguin! What the hell are you doing?” Sean peered down the bank in consternation. Penguin looked up at him, blinking. He chirped again, then trotted under the bridge and back out again, pacing in a circle.

“Has he ever done anything like this before?” Daniel set a squirming Caitlyn down. The four-year-old immediately jumped onto the sled her godfather had been dragging behind him.

“Let’s go, babe!” She wiggled her butt, trying to make the sled go.

Daniel chuckled. There was no doubt she was her daddy’s girl.

“No, never.” Sean whistled sharply, his signal for the cat to return to his shoulder. Penguin howled again and repeated his pattern of pacing.

“I don’t think he’s going to come up on his own, sweetheart.”

“Danny! I want to go sledding! Can you run with me again?” Caitlyn wailed.

“You need to be patient, sweetie, while Uncle Sean rescues Penguin.”

“Remind me again whose bright idea taking a cat sledding was?” Sean grumbled as he slid his way down the embankment. As he approached Penguin, his foot slipped into the icy water, causing him to yell.

“Be careful! You’re not that far from where I broke my wrist.”

“I know!” Sean frowned as he neared the little cat. Penguin trotted away as Sean reached for him and he stepped on the trailing leash, ending the cat’s escapade. Sean gathered him in his arms, but Penguin squirmed away and ran under the bridge. He sat about ten feet away and howled again before digging in a small alcove.

Sean followed Penguin, pausing when he heard a faint cry. He and the tuxedo cat looked at each other, then at the alcove. The crying continued. Sean dashed over to his cat, then started digging through the pile of wet, dirty leaves covering the small alcove. After a minute he reached his goal; a damp, shivering, ginger kitten peered at him fearfully with wide crusty eyes. Penguin head-butted Sean’s leg and started for the kitten. Sean gently backed him away.

“Sorry, Pen, but he looks like he might be sick. I don’t want you to catch anything. Let’s get him to the vet.” Sean gently scooped the sickly kitten into his hands and tucked it into his jacket. Penguin leapt onto his shoulder.

“Sean! Are you ok? What’s going on?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Pen found a kitten. He must have heard it crying.”

“Oh my God! How are you going to get back up here?”

“I have no idea.”

“We can haul him up on a sled,” a man said, standing in the crowd that had gathered around them.

“Good idea.” Daniel threw down Caitlyn’s sled, holding onto the long rope used to pull it.

“Get on the sled and we’ll haul you up.”

Sean leaned his shoulder close to the embankment. “Go see Caty, Pen. We’ll be right up.”

Penguin jumped onto the snowy slope and skittered into the little girl’s arms. Sean grabbed onto the sled’s handle with one hand and cradled the kitten with the other. Daniel and three other men hauled Sean to the top of the bank. Caitlyn ran over to him.

“I wanna see the kitty!”

Sean opened his jacket slightly and two green eyes peered out.

“He’s so cute!” Caitlyn gushed, jumping up, trying to pet the kitty.

Daniel scooped her up. “Easy, sweetie. The kitty is sick. We need to get it to a kitty doctor.”

“But I wanna pet it!” she whined.

Daniel set her down on the sled and Penguin hopped on next to her. “We don’t have time to argue. We need to go, now.”

Sean and Daniel thanked the men who helped them, then set off at an easy jog to their car. The kitten was wheezing and shivering uncontrollably. Sean shook his head sadly. He feared that his hero cat was too late.

 

“It’s a good thing you found him when you did. He wouldn’t have lasted much longer in those conditions,” the vet said. “It’s times like this when I wish these guys could talk. I wonder how he ended up there?”

“Me, too. I guess being a soft touch paid off. I thought it was nuts to bring Penguin sledding, but Caitlyn insisted. Thank goodness she did.” Sean stroked the sleeping kitten gently. “So he’s not contagious?”

“No. He has pneumonia, but he’s not contagious.”

“That will make Penguin happy. I had to put him in his cat carrier to keep him away from the kitten.”

“Well, a little TLC will go a long way for this fellow.” The vet handed Sean a sheet with instructions for the care of the kitten and a bottle of antibiotics.

“What do I owe you?”

“This one’s on the house.”

“Are you sure? I don’t mind paying for the little guy.”

“I’m sure. I’ve never heard such a remarkable story. You don’t have to pay a dime for any of his treatment for the pneumonia. In fact, I’ll even throw in his shots and neutering if he survives.”

Sean shook the vet’s hand and pulled him into a brief embrace. “Thanks. That means a lot.”

“I know you’ll give him the best care possible.”

Sean nodded as he placed the bundled up kitten into a cardboard cat carrier. “I’ll call you tomorrow and let you know how he is.”

 

After dropping Caitlyn off at Robbie and Siobhan’s, Sean and Daniel headed home. As soon as the door was open, Penguin leapt off Sean’s shoulder, yowling. Timmy, Daniel’s gray tabby cat, came running and head-butted Penguin in concern. Pen ran after Sean, who took the cat carrier to his and Daniel’s bedroom. Timmy trotted after him. Sean set the kitten down amongst a pile of blankets and Penguin immediately curled up around the kitten, licking its head. Timmy curled up on the other side of the ginger cat, forming a kitty circle around the little ball of fluff.

Daniel entered the room carrying two hot water bottles. “I guess we don’t need these.” He chuckled.

Sean wrapped his arms around Daniel and kissed him. “I could use a little warming up.”

Daniel smiled as he kissed him back. “Our bed is currently occupied.”

“I was thinking more like the shower.”

“I like the way you think.” Daniel set the water bottles down and followed his husband into the bathroom.

 

Sean exited the bathroom an hour later, giggling as Daniel tried to remove the towel wrapped around his waist. He turned abruptly, embracing his dark-haired husband. “You are insatiable.”

Daniel grinned and kissed him. “Yup.” He reached for the towel again and Sean stepped backwards.

“I need to check on the kitten. We’re supposed to feed him every hour.” Sean sat on the edge of the bed and peered at the trio of cats. The kitten’s sides moved in and out in slow rhythm with his breath. Sean breathed a sigh of relief. He would have been mortified if the little animal had passed away while he was making love to Daniel.

“How is he?” Daniel asked as he handed Sean a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt.

“Still alive.” Sean quickly dressed, then went into the kitchen to prepare the kitten’s food and medicine.

Penguin and Timmy watched anxiously as Sean fed their charge. The kitten didn’t eat much before falling back asleep. The two adult cats immediately surrounded him again.

Sean put his arm around Daniel. “Let’s go to the living room. I think these two have it under control for now.”

They watched a movie, pausing every hour to check on the kitten. Daniel prepared their own dinner while Sean fed the animals. At bedtime, they settled in on either side of the cats. Sean set the alarm and they took turns getting up every hour to check on the sick animal.

When the alarm went off at eight o’clock, Sean stretched and yawned. The smell of coffee and bacon permeated the air. He looked at the pile of cats next to him and was greeted by three sets of bright eyes blinking at him. He smiled and petted the kitten, who purred happily. His breathing was improved since he was wheezing less.

Sean headed into the bathroom, then the kitchen. “Breakfast smells wonderful, sweetheart,” he said, kissing Daniel.

“Thanks. I thought we could use a good meal this morning.” He handed Sean a cup of coffee.

“The kitten’s awake.”

“Yeah, he looks a lot better.”

“Maybe he’ll actually make it.”

“I hope so.”

Sean prepared food for the kitten and returned to the bedroom. The kitten was still awake and meowed, purring as soon as he saw him. Sean smiled as he fed the little cat. Penguin sat and stared the entire time the kitten was eating. As soon as the kitten was done, he curled back around him. Sean petted all three cats as the sated kitten fell asleep.

Daniel sat on the bed behind Sean and wrapped his arms around his middle. “What are we going to do with him?”

“Caitlyn seemed pretty taken with him and Christmas is a week away. How would Robbie and Siobhan feel about an addition to their family?”

“That’s a great idea. I’ll call Robbie now.” Daniel pulled his phone out of his pocket.

Sean reached to pet the kitten and Penguin flattened his ears and hissed at him, laying over the ginger cat protectively. “Holy shit!” He snatched his hand back and looked at Daniel in open-mouthed shock.

Daniel set the phone down. “I guess I don’t need to make that call after all.”

Sean chuckled. “Yeah. How do you feel about an addition to our family?”

“I don’t think we have a choice!”

Sean reached his hand out to the agitated tuxedo cat. “Don’t worry, Pen. I won’t take away your baby. He’s here to stay.”

Penguin head-butted Sean’s hand and purred happily as he cleaned the kitten’s face.

“So what should we name him?” Sean took Daniel’s hand.

“How about Nick? Like Saint Nick since Christmas is so close?”

Sean drew his husband close and kissed the side of his head. “Perfect.”

Thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading about the new kitty family. :) A huge thank-you to Lisa and Joann for their input. Happy Holidays to all my readers! :)
Copyright © 2014 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I loved this cute little story. So cute of the two cats to protect their new baby when evil humans wanted to give it away :angry::lol:

Penguin is the hero :) black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 08:03 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for taking the time to write this lil short ...i love penguin and his story

 

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 08:15 AM, Timothy M. said:
I love cats - and Penguin is the best.

But I was sorry we missed the shower... :P

lol I wish I had a cat like Penguin. Mine freak out if you look at them sideways. lol Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 08:21 AM, Slytherin said:
I loved this cute little story. So cute of the two cats to protect their new baby when evil humans wanted to give it away :angry::lol:

Penguin is the hero :) black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Penguin was not going to give up his new kitty! Thanks for reading, LBO. I'm glad you like it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 09:10 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I love Penguin and adore this story. Thanks for doing it Val! It's great.
Thanks, Cole :) I'm so glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Penguin saves the kitty!!!!!

 

I'm so glad the little guy made it! Of course Penguin wouldn't let anyone else take care of his "baby"! lol

 

Penguin and Timmy are such great cats! :P

 

Great story, Val!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 12:49 PM, Lisa said:
Penguin saves the kitty!!!!!

 

I'm so glad the little guy made it! Of course Penguin wouldn't let anyone else take care of his "baby"! lol

 

Penguin and Timmy are such great cats! :P

 

Great story, Val!

Thanks, Lisa :) And thanks again for your input. :) I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2014 02:17 PM, LadyDe said:
Penguin rules!! Welcome to the family, Nick. Loved this glimpse into Penquins life. Thanks
Thanks for reading. I'm glad you liked it! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/11/2014 04:03 AM, Suvitar said:
Such a sweet little story. I´m glad it had a happy ending for them all.
Thanks, Suvitar. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a sweet little Christmas story. I really enjoyed this and am glad to have read it. Thanks for including it on Renee's list.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/25/2014 04:40 PM, comicfan said:
What a sweet little Christmas story. I really enjoyed this and am glad to have read it. Thanks for including it on Renee's list.
Thanks for reading, Wayne. I'm so glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Haha ...I'm glad I found this little gem!

 

I'm not normally a 'cat' person Val, being a dragon and all, but this was such a darling little story, and so well told.

 

Thanks for sharing!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/08/2015 02:41 AM, skinnydragon said:

Haha ...I'm glad I found this little gem!

 

I'm not normally a 'cat' person Val, being a dragon and all, but this was such a darling little story, and so well told.

 

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Dragon :) Penguin is a pretty special cat. Thanks so much for reading and the review. :) I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It's a sweet story, Valkyrie! Family love shines through not only from the cats, but from the little girl and the fellas too. :thumbup:

 

Well done, and heart-warming. :lugh::glomp::lugh:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2015 10:44 AM, AC Benus said:

It's a sweet story, Valkyrie! Family love shines through not only from the cats, but from the little girl and the fellas too. :thumbup:

 

Well done, and heart-warming. :lugh::glomp::lugh:

Thanks, AC :) I'm so glad you liked it. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/10/2015 11:32 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Lovely story, it's what Christmas should be about.

Loved it,

tim

Thanks Tim. :) I really appreciate the review. I'm glad you liked it. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I remember reading when you first posted, but I guess I forgot to leave a review. Great little story, Val. Shows dumb animals are not always as dumb as we may think.

Link to comment

I love how the adult cats took charge of the kitten and adopted him as theirs. The humans just needed time to realize it. I loved it, Val!

Link to comment

This had me smiling.. Lovely story Val. There was no way Penguin was letting his baby go though..
Thank you for sharing..

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..