Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 939 Words
  • 2,105 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 16. Future Foreseen?

This is the last of the collaborative prompts from my visit with Cole Matthews. We selected a protagonist, goal, obstacle, and action from a series of cards. How ironic is it that the protagonist is from Minnesota?

Protagonist: John the architect from Minnesota

Goal: to be wild and free

Obstacle: the bartender from Seattle

Action: learns to foresee the future

Future Foreseen?

John jumped and leaned away from the hand waving in front of his face. He scowled at the grinning man in the Armani suit standing next to him.

“Earth to John. Pay attention, would you? This project is supposed to be your baby. You could at least show some interest in it.”

John sat a little straighter in his chair and twisted his wedding ring. The white gold felt like it burned as he moved it around his finger. “What was the question, Seth?”

Seth motioned toward the scale model of a business park. John had finished the design about a week ago and now was meeting with the senior members of the agency he worked for to finalize the details. “Leon thinks we should move this building—” he moved one of the models to the other side of the board the miniature complex occupied “—to here.”

John’s first instinct was to say ‘no’. The move completely changed the aesthetic of the complex. And not in a good way. “Well—” he started.

“Good! I knew you’d agree,” stated Seth as he turned to the others present for the meeting. He then launched into the rest of the presentation, essentially taking credit for John’s work.

John tuned him out again and returned to staring out the window. Why was he at the meeting in the first place since his opinion obviously meant nothing? A flock of pigeons flew in a swarm past his window and glided to the ground. Most people thought of them as rats with wings. John thought their pastel gray hues and graceful flight was beautiful. He snorted, drawing disapproving looks from his superiors. He was jealous of pigeons. What had his life become?

 

John hesitated outside the bar. His nervous habit of twisting his wedding ring was in full force. He slid it off his finger into his pocket, trying pointedly not to think of the implications of that movement. A group of smiling, laughing people absorbed him into their mass, sweeping him along with them into “The Rainbow Room”. So much for choices. He twisted his way out of the group and headed for the bar.

He took a seat at the end and bounced his leg as he surveyed the room. Bright neon rainbows and liquor signs dotted the walls, shining bright colors on those who sat or stood near them. The place wasn’t too crowded yet, but he had a feeling in another hour or two it would be.

“What can I get you?”

John cursed himself for being so jumpy. He turned toward the bartender and stared, his mouth gaping open. It wasn’t that the man was particularly gorgeous or handsome or anything. In fact, he was quite ordinary. He had jet black hair cut in a short, spiky style and bright blue eyes that sparkled in the glare of the red neon sign above him. He wore a hot pink shirt that fit him like it was tailored exclusively for him. His mouth quirked into a half smile/smirk as he looked over the patron gaping at him.

“Close your mouth, sweetie…”

“You’ll catch flies that way,” they said in unison.

The bartender raised an eyebrow. “Have we met? Somehow, I get the feeling I’d remember if we did.” His smile was more genuine this time.

John swallowed and tried to still his trembling hands. “I… I… I’ve never been here before.” He looked at the bartender in wonder. “But I’ve been dreaming about you for months.”

The bartender rolled his eyes and leaned his hands on the counter. “Oh honey, you need to work on your pickup lines. Now, what can I get you?”

“It’s not a pickup line….” John started, then trailed off. Why bother? Then he sat up straighter. “I have to remember the pigeons,” he muttered.

“Pigeons?”

John looked the bartender in the eye, full of his new resolve to be wild and free. “I’ll have a rainbow cactus with a unicorn chaser.”

The bartender narrowed his eyes. “I thought you haven’t been here before?”

John smirked and looked the man up and down. “I haven’t. I told you, I’ve been dreaming about you.”

The bartender nodded and moved to make the off-menu drink. He had a feeling that his strange patron wasn’t giving him a pickup line.

 

John remained at the bar until closing time. He had been right about the place filling up. He was hit on a few times, but he only had eyes for the black-haired bartender. Several times he’d caught Eddie looking his way and it made his heart beat faster every time. He wondered if he was having another dream—one which felt much more real than the others.

At closing time, John was the last one in the bar, sitting on the same stool he had all night. Eddie walked over. “Sorry, but it’s closing time. You’ll have to leave.”

John hopped down from the stool, walked over to the man, placed his hand on the back of the bartender’s head, and pulled him in for a kiss. To his surprise, the bartender didn’t resist, but actually responded. The feeling was unlike anything John had experienced in his dull life. He smirked and placed a card with his phone number in the other man’s hand. “Call me, Eddie.” He then strode out the bar with a confidence he’d never shown before. Wild and free, indeed, he thought.

I hope you enjoyed reading our prompts as much as we did writing them. Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m sure that Seth has their bosses convinced that John merely assisted him. That will work until John either leaves the company or gets promoted away from Seth. The senior members of the agency can’t be totally blind if the company is at least somewhat successful…

 

John seems uncharacteristically bold in the second section of the story.  ;-)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
19 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Good one. Like your interpretation of the writing challenge.

Thanks :)  I'm glad you liked it :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
19 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I’m sure that Seth has their bosses convinced that John merely assisted him. That will work until John either leaves the company or gets promoted away from Seth. The senior members of the agency can’t be totally blind if the company is at least somewhat successful…

 

John seems uncharacteristically bold in the second section of the story.  ;-)

Very true about Seth, but it's amazing what people can be blind to.  

 

As for John being uncharacteristically bold in the second half... well, his goal was 'to be wild and free'.  I'd say he met his goal quite well. ;) Thanks for your comments.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Once you make your mind up to change things, most anything can happen. With just a little bit of luck.

:yes: Agreed  

Link to comment

That kind of thing only happens in my dreams and then I'm the guy passed out in the corner ... to say I liked this very much sounds anything but wild 'n free but it's the truth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

That kind of thing only happens in my dreams and then I'm the guy passed out in the corner ... to say I liked this very much sounds anything but wild 'n free but it's the truth.

Wild and free or not, I always enjoy hearing when others like my work.  ;)  Thanks, dugh :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've had a funny/unsettled kind of few days, and I found this uplifting in a perfectly tailored way. I liked the moral here, Val. This gave me a feeling of moving on to something better... and trusting in yourself and life itself. Not bad, I'd say, for a little vacation prompt response. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/10/2017 at 9:57 PM, Headstall said:

I've had a funny/unsettled kind of few days, and I found this uplifting in a perfectly tailored way. I liked the moral here, Val. This gave me a feeling of moving on to something better... and trusting in yourself and life itself. Not bad, I'd say, for a little vacation prompt response. :) 

Thanks :) We had a lot of fun with these.  I'm glad I could lift your spirits.  :hug::kiss: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..