Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 657 Words
  • 1,510 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 33. Naptime Tragedy

“Guess who got Sally down for her nap without a single argument?” I straddled my husband’s lap and nuzzled his neck, kissing my way up to his ear.

He moved his upper body sideways, craning his head in an attempt to see the television. “So no argument from her or you?”

“Ha ha.” I followed his movement and nipped his earlobe.

“Hey, this is a really good part! Down in front!”

“If you insist.” I snickered and slid down his body onto my knees in front of him, then reached for his pants. He batted my hand away and frowned.

“This is my favorite show!”

I snorted. “So record it!” I massaged his leg. “C’mon… how long has it been? Let’s take advantage while the little monster is asleep.”

“Nice way to talk about your daughter.”

“Our daughter,” I replied. “And we have a DVR, so record your damn show.”

My stubborn husband rolled his eyes. “Fine.” He raised the remote and pointed it at the TV, then pressed a button. “Happy now?”

While his tone was sarcastic, the glint in his eye told me he was more than happy to take his attention away from his ‘favorite show’.

“Very.” I moved my hand up his leg.

He smiled and drew me up until I was sitting next to him. Will loved kissing and was good at it, so we made out like teenagers until a blood-curdling scream made us fly apart as if we’d been doused with a bucket of water.

We ran to Sally’s room, me slightly behind Will. My heart pounded in my chest as cold dread flooded through me. Our five-year-old daughter sat upright in her bed, screaming and sobbing, clutching her beloved Raggedy Ann doll to her chest.

We sat on either side of her, and I pulled her close. “What’s wrong, sweetie?”

“Annie… lost… her… arm!” she managed to tell us through gasping breaths.

“What are you talking about?” Will asked.

She held up her constant companion carefully. The ragdoll was, indeed, missing an arm.

“Oh honey, what happened?” I asked.

She shrugged and resumed sobbing.

Will stood and picked her up. I searched through the blanket and sheets until I found the doll’s arm. “See, honey? I found it! Annie will be just fine.”

She screamed and turned her face into her papa’s chest. Will rubbed her back.

“Tell you what, sweetie. Why don’t you let daddy take Annie to the dolly hospital to get her fixed, and we can have some Frosted Flakes while we wait.”

She sniffled and looked at him with her watery blue eyes, then nodded. Will and I exchanged glances. Frosted Flakes never failed to make Sally feel better.

“And why do we love Frosted Flakes?” Will said. “Because they’re grrrrrrrrrreat!” He tickled her side, causing her to giggle as they headed into the kitchen.

I grabbed the wounded doll and severed arm and walked to the closet where I kept my sewing supplies. It was easy enough to sew the soft cloth appendage back on. She had probably moved the doll while she was laying on it, which had severed the arm. I found scrap of white cloth big enough to make a sling for post-surgical toy and put a Band-Aid on her shoulder.

My husband and daughter were sitting side-by-side on the couch, watching cartoons. My heart felt like it skipped a beat as I watched them—the two people I loved the most in the world. I walked over, sat next to Sally, and held out the repaired doll. “Here you go, honey. Annie will be a little sore for a while, but she’s good as new!”

Sally’s face lit up as she grinned and gingerly took her dolly from me. “She has her arm back! You fixeded her, daddy!” She jumped off the couch and tottered toward the kitchen. “Let’s get some Fwosted Fwakes for you, Annie. They’re gwwwwweat!”

The prompt was from "Story Slam". The three elements we had to use were: You are feeling very pleased with yourself, a one-armed woman, grrrrrrr
Check out Cole Matthews' take on the same prompt in "Shuffle off to Buffalo". This is based on a true story.
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@Valkyrie is a surgeon when not writing here?
;–)

My younger brother put a Snoopy bandaid on his Pinto station wagon when it got a dent in the early Eighties. It didn’t make it a better car, but it was pretty dependable anyway. The Pinto got a bad rep that was undeserved since it was certainly no worse than its major competitor, the Chevy Vega with its not-ready-for-prime-time aluminum engine and Flintstone car floors.
;–)

Link to comment
8 hours ago, droughtquake said:

@Valkyrie is a surgeon when not writing here?

Not so sure about the surgeon bit but she is very good at needling others.

This was actually very heartwarming Sis just when I needed a smile. You done good, real good. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

@Valkyrie is a surgeon when not writing here?
;–)

My younger brother put a Snoopy bandaid on his Pinto station wagon when it got a dent in the early Eighties. It didn’t make it a better car, but it was pretty dependable anyway. The Pinto got a bad rep that was undeserved since it was certainly no worse than its major competitor, the Chevy Vega with its not-ready-for-prime-time aluminum engine and Flintstone car floors.
;–)

My mom was the doll surgeon.  This is based on an event that actually happened to me when I was a kid.  I woke up after a nap one day to find my Raggedy Andy had lost his arm.  My mom fixed him up for me, good as new :)  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

Not so sure about the surgeon bit but she is very good at needling others.

This was actually very heartwarming Sis just when I needed a smile. You done good, real good. 

Herd-stealing WQs deserve lots of needling :P  I'm glad you liked the story :hug: 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Oh, this was sooo sweet. I loved it... and for some reason I thought it was a man and his wife until the very end. If that was intentional, good on you, sis. Like @dughlas, I needed this. :)  Cheers... Gary....

  • Love 3
Link to comment

LOL They do have a knack for interrupting, though I can understand how traumatic an harmless doll would be to a young child. Sweet story!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/14/2019 at 11:19 PM, Headstall said:

Oh, this was sooo sweet. I loved it... and for some reason I thought it was a man and his wife until the very end. If that was intentional, good on you, sis. Like @dughlas, I needed this. :)  Cheers... Gary....

:hug:  Thanks :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/16/2019 at 6:32 AM, Puppilull said:

LOL They do have a knack for interrupting, though I can understand how traumatic an harmless doll would be to a young child. Sweet story!

:yes:  Thanks.  I'm glad you liked it :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, aditus said:

After the last one I'm so glad this ended with a  *smile*

Just wait until the sequel where Annie demands something healthier than sugar-coated corn with cow’s milk (since neither she nor Sally are calves).
;–)

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Just wait until the sequel where Annie demands something healthier than sugar-coated corn with cow’s milk (since neither she nor Sally are calves)

:gikkle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, aditus said:

After the last one I'm so glad this ended with a  *smile*

:hug:  :kiss: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
14 hours ago, Sherye said:

That was a sweet story and loved the way you made her feel good with both her daddies! 🥰

Thanks :) 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..